Vizio M3D460SR or LG lw6500? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 23 Old 10-11-2011, 03:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anybody have a chance to compare both? Wonder if new vizio pic quality and theatre 3d compares to the lg.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 10-12-2011, 12:41 AM

I recommend LG LW6500 over Vizio M3D460SR. I got a Vizio M3D460SR last week and it seemed to work fine but I was disappointed when I ran Avatar 3D on it. The 3D effect wasn't what I expected. It wasn't as detailed as what I saw in the theater. Then I tried Despicable and it was a little better than Avatar but it was just okay'. I know a friend who works at BestBuy so I brought my DVDs to the store and asked him to test run them on a LW6500 model and the 3D looked way better on that TV. 3D effects came out really far and it was similar to what it would be in movie theaters.
Also, another problem that I had with my Vizio TV was that when I tried to use the Vizio apps, the TV just turned itself off. I kept trying but the problem continued Although this TV looks really nice and its 2D picture is excellent, LG 3D TV also has really nice 2D. Luckily I could return this TV and I'm going to buy a LW6500 once I get money back in my bank account
post #3 of 23 Old 10-12-2011, 10:48 PM - Thread Starter

Ah good to know. Is the lg 2d as good as the Vizio 2d in ur opinion? Also isn't a 47" Vizio coming out in Dec full array theatre 3d wonder if that is any different.
post #4 of 23 Old 10-13-2011, 10:11 AM

I like the Vizio because it's just as nice, but less expensive.
post #5 of 23 Old 10-13-2011, 03:06 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 19
They both use the same passive panels from LG Panel, so while I haven't compared the two side-by-side I would imagine the PQ is very similar.

With the Vizio you get to save some $$, plus the Vizio has SENSIO 3D and Autodetect while the LG doesn't (at least not yet). SENSIO is launching their 3D video-on-demand service this fall, so with a Vizio 3DTV you'd be able to access all of that content in the SENSIO format.
post #6 of 23 Old 10-13-2011, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny905 View Post

SENSIO is launching their 3D video-on-demand service this fall, so with a Vizio 3DTV you'd be able to access all of that content in the SENSIO format.

Sensio might not last till fall ... their Chief Technology Officer quit about ten days ago
post #7 of 23 Old 10-13-2011, 11:05 PM

@purell,

2D quality was good on LG TV. I was told that LG Cinema 3Ds use LED backlight so it has a wide range of brightness. I guess this would be good for people who have different settings in their living rooms. Also, when I surfed the web trying to find a solution to the problem I had with Vizio, I learned that Vizio 3D TVs give some people flickers although it's a passive TV that's supposed to be flicker free Just thought you'd like to know.
post #8 of 23 Old 10-14-2011, 03:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedardmaxine View Post

@purell,

2D quality was good on LG TV. I was told that LG Cinema 3Ds use LED backlight so it has a wide range of brightness. I guess this would be good for people who have different settings in their living rooms. Also, when I surfed the web trying to find a solution to the problem I had with Vizio, I learned that Vizio 3D TVs give some people flickers although it's a passive TV that's supposed to be flicker free Just thought you'd like to know.

Thx for the feedback. LG is my first choice, but I think I'll wait til Dec to see what the full array theatre 3d Vizio will be like. Then with full array I'm sure there might be new problems like glow around objects and such.
post #9 of 23 Old 10-15-2011, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by umenon View Post

Sensio might not last till fall ... their Chief Technology Officer quit about ten days ago

Sorry if this is OT, but I think your conclusion is probably a bit far-fetched. Sensio has already have named a new CTO, who in many respects is actually more qualified to handle the position going forward. When Sensio acquired Algolith's patent portfolio last year they also acquired Algolith's CTO who has now been named as Sensio CTO.
post #10 of 23 Old 11-12-2011, 07:13 AM

What about the Vizio against the lg5600? Any comparison besides the price?
post #11 of 23 Old 11-16-2011, 09:05 AM

In your review on Amazon you mentioned

"The 3D effect was not nearly as detailed as I remember it being in Theaters. Something was definitely missing in comparison. Also tried SBS of Despicable Me, which seemed to look a little bit better. Maybe it would be better if I had a 3D bluray player? I am going to try going to best buy on Saturday and seeing if I can test out my version of Avatar on their LG passive TVs display just to compare it to the Vizio."

What is SBS and why wouldn't you need a 3D blu-ray player to watch a blu-ray movie? You said it looked better at best buy and I'm sure they only have blu-ray players attached to their TV's. I'm not saying the TV is good just trying to understand how you tested your 3D content.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedardmaxine View Post

I recommend LG LW6500 over Vizio M3D460SR. I got a Vizio M3D460SR last week and it seemed to work fine but I was disappointed when I ran Avatar 3D on it. The 3D effect wasn't what I expected. It wasn't as detailed as what I saw in the theater. Then I tried Despicable and it was a little better than Avatar but it was just okay'. I know a friend who works at BestBuy so I brought my DVDs to the store and asked him to test run them on a LW6500 model and the 3D looked way better on that TV. 3D effects came out really far and it was similar to what it would be in movie theaters.
Also, another problem that I had with my Vizio TV was that when I tried to use the Vizio apps, the TV just turned itself off. I kept trying but the problem continued Although this TV looks really nice and its 2D picture is excellent, LG 3D TV also has really nice 2D. Luckily I could return this TV and I'm going to buy a LW6500 once I get money back in my bank account

post #12 of 23 Old 11-16-2011, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benso37 View Post

In your review on Amazon you mentioned

"The 3D effect was not nearly as detailed as I remember it being in Theaters. Something was definitely missing in comparison. Also tried SBS of Despicable Me, which seemed to look a little bit better. Maybe it would be better if I had a 3D bluray player? I am going to try going to best buy on Saturday and seeing if I can test out my version of Avatar on their LG passive TVs display just to compare it to the Vizio."

What is SBS and why wouldn't you need a 3D blu-ray player to watch a blu-ray movie? You said it looked better at best buy and I'm sure they only have blu-ray players attached to their TV's. I'm not saying the TV is good just trying to understand how you tested your 3D content.

I found that odd too maybe he is playing a mkv file off a PC or something, I have the 42 Vizio and l love it so far no issues at all Btw sbs is side by side.
post #13 of 23 Old 11-20-2011, 05:56 PM

Is the Vizio m3d460sr much different than the vizio m3d420sr?
post #14 of 23 Old 11-25-2011, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IkeHatesMike View Post

Is the Vizio m3d460sr much different than the vizio m3d420sr?

A little better response time. 42" is 8ms and I believe the 46" is 5.5ms.
post #15 of 23 Old 12-03-2011, 02:34 AM

Does the vizio convert 2d to 3d like on the lg?

I'm looking at this vizio and 46lw5700...not sure which is better

The ability to convert 2d to 3d might be enough to push me into the lg camp
post #16 of 23 Old 12-05-2011, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTurkish View Post

Does the vizio convert 2d to 3d like on the lg?

I'm looking at this vizio and 46lw5700...not sure which is better

The ability to convert 2d to 3d might be enough to push me into the lg camp

The Vizio does not have 2D->3D. I've seen the 2D->3D on the LG and it actually looks ok, but I never use the 2d->3D feature on my Sony 3DTV. There's enough actual 3D content out there (and much more on the way) for me to have much interest in 3D converted on the fly.
post #17 of 23 Old 01-23-2012, 01:51 PM

Anymore feedback on this tv? Is the 3d as good as post update LG? Is it an ISP panel?
post #18 of 23 Old 02-02-2012, 04:57 PM

Hi All,
After reading all the LG vs. Vizio threads and reviews on these two comparable models, I bought the vizio m3d460sr at Costco today. I'm moving up from an old Sceptre Naga. Here are my thoughts:
- picture is beautiful. no football games on right now, but golf looks amazing.
- no rca input. I knew this before I bought it, but in case you have a Wii with rca, you'll need to get a high def cable.
- ghosting - I'll report back later, not sure. I'm definitely not seeing any blue ghosting images, but I need to reread the threads and double check for exact scenarios where it might occur.
- sound - poor and this is compared to a 5 year old Sceptre hdtv. really disappointed here. I'm going to play with the settings, but I guess with super thin panels you can't stuff giant speakers in there any more. Ugh, not really wanting to get a soundbar.

Humming - yes its present, but it's very low. Its day time, there's ambient noise level, so I have to get within a foot of the tv to hear it. Yes it sounds like the high pitch you'd hear if your ears were ringing. Can't hear it sitting on the couch or more than 2 feet away. I'm going to wait until tonight around 11pm to retest.

Overall my excitement over a new tv has gone from high to meh aside from the picture - its really beautiful. I can't compare to the LG, but Costco does have some so I could do a side by side.

The real reason I went with the Vizio was for the apps. They have some of the better and faster apps of the manufacturers. Plus I would count on them having more of an "open" ecosystem with more apps down the road vs. the competition.

OK, enough rambling. Will post back later tonight with more findings.
post #19 of 23 Old 02-02-2012, 07:42 PM

OK, more on the blue ghosting issue -

I've run through 4 different bluray discs and all exhibit a blue ghost around fast moving objects. It is "faint" until you notice it and then it becomes more obvious. I think for many people buying their first HDTV they might not notice since the picture quality is so much better than their old CRT set. However, its definitely there. If you are buying this the m3d460sr or m3d420sr beware! Some people are saying they don't have the issue, but it might be that they just haven't noticed it yet.

I'm going to run through some more setup and calibration and then try again. If the ghosting remains, this issue would be a deal breaker for me.
post #20 of 23 Old 02-05-2012, 11:41 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncalsurfer View Post

OK, more on the blue ghosting issue -

I've run through 4 different bluray discs and all exhibit a blue ghost around fast moving objects. It is "faint" until you notice it and then it becomes more obvious. I think for many people buying their first HDTV they might not notice since the picture quality is so much better than their old CRT set. However, its definitely there. If you are buying this the m3d460sr or m3d420sr beware! Some people are saying they don't have the issue, but it might be that they just haven't noticed it yet.

I'm going to run through some more setup and calibration and then try again. If the ghosting remains, this issue would be a deal breaker for me.

The ghosting your probably referring to is the image processing that is more then likely turned on to smooth the motion. I see that easily in a lot of TV's. My roommate has a LG and it drove me nuts when I first was watching it with the image enhancing/processing features turned on. His model was a regular LED TV.

I have a Vizio 47" E3D, so not LED TV and have no problems with ghosting (all image processing turned off, plus using game mode, mostly use mine on a htpc and xbox360) and etc and the picture looks great. I'm in process of buying a house and I will probably upgrade to a Vizio 65" LED Theatre 3D TV shortly after I get settled

"Live to Win!"
XBL: RandomNinjaAtk
www.stevenohare.com - Personal Blog
www.oharesites.com - Domain Names, Web Hosting, Email Hosting and more
post #21 of 23 Old 02-05-2012, 05:07 PM

I have had the Vizio for a week now and I have to say the picture is beautifull. I did notice the blueish/purple "ghosting" on the edges of dark characters on light backrounds. Sometimes it would be on the faces between whites of the eyes and on hairlines just about every edge and once i noticed it I couldn't stop noticing it. I was almost going to return it but after playing with the tv for a week I realized it wasn't happening all the time I think it depends on the source with 1080i or 1080p it wasn't present at all. I then turned off smart dimming and ambient light sensor and played with the backlight, turning it down to about 30-35 GREATLY reduce the ghosting and now it only happens on occasion. Even at this low setting the tv is still very bright. Now the only issue is the reflect screen(why they put one on an LCD is beyond me)but my old plasma had one so i'm used to it.
I got this 46"3D, LED, 240hz smart tv with built in wi-fi and ethernet port and bluetooth qwerty remote(which does control the playstation) for $798 and it does have an amazing picture, so I would suggest buy it, try it, you may end up loving it! You can always bring it back.
post #22 of 23 Old 02-13-2012, 05:22 PM

Just an update on this tv. I've tried a bunch of different settings including turning all the automatic sensing and motion smoothing off - but the ghosting issue is still terrible. I'm probably trained to notice it now. I'm going to contact Vizio and report the issue. But I can say for sure if this ghosting issue isn't solved the tv is going back for sure. I can see ghosting on comcast tv, bluray discs, and to a lesser degree on internet sources like Hulu and Cinemanow.
post #23 of 23 Old 03-07-2012, 04:07 AM

Updates?

What's the best picture settings to reduce the ghosting? Lowering the backlight?

I, myself have the humming (but it goes away quickly after the TV warms up, and randomly comes and goes..doesn't matter I have my PC running with 8 fans, fish tank filter (big filter), air purifier, PS3 fat (loud fan when it gets hot). I can deal with the humming, I already have whenever it pops up, but this ghosting really sucks. Any advice anyone?
Reply 3D Displays