Sony Bravia KDL55HX729 - so much xtalk - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 10-16-2011, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
If Sony thinks they are the king of 3d, then I think they need to think again. While this tv has fairly good 2d (mild uniformity issues), the 3d is a real letdown. For starters, the 3d simulated mode produces terrible crosstalk even with the tv's own on screen menus! Something just doesn't seem right because you would think that should not happen with the on screen menus - it does certainly does not happen with actual 3d content games or movies. Most of the native 3d content I have tried seems hit or miss. I picked up god of war 3d for the ps3 for example and the crosstalk in that game is really bad. Tron Legacy BD looks ok, but the text on the movie menus shows bad crosstalk. The glasses are barely comfortable, but add too much weight to the bridge of the nose if you already are wearing glasses such as I do.

One other thing is that the tv lags badly with games unless you use the game scene mode. This disables the motionflow which I thought should be a benefit for gaming. The 120hz of my old Samsung 4671 never produced noticeable lag even with maximum setting on the smoothness. It sure made games look better too.

I considered the LG 6500 series and passive 3d is appealing. You can tilt your head even a bit without the colour shifting and losing the 3d effect. I just am not sure the 2d, especially the blacks are close to the sony (this sony has excellent blacks!).

decisions......

Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 10-17-2011, 01:45 AM

Liked: 10
Sony wasn't even on my list of consideration when I was looking for a 3D TV. It's true that Sony TVs have excellent colors but when it comes to 3D, I've heard too many complaints about Sony. While the colors and pictures look great, you have to consider flickers and crosstalks are almost inevitable on active 3D TVs. LG Cinema 3D series are good because they don't have crosstalks and flickers and they generally have pretty good picture and color qualities in both 2D and 3D. I've seen demos on many different 3D TVs, and the LG passive 3D TV line has excellent colors and the blacks look quite awesome so I don't think that should be a problem.
post #3 of 15 Old 10-17-2011, 05:55 AM

Liked: 13
For starters don't use simulated 3D it is no match for native 3D content, you have to figure the TV is trying to add fake depth to 2D images in real time and the results will never be worth it. Also make sure you are using a high speed HDMI cable and your PS3/Blu-ray player have the latest firmware available. Sony also offers filters for the front of the 3D glasses to allow you to tilt your head. You should always be using game mode for on ANY LCD for gaming period.

Passive 3D is an option but you will getting reduced 3D resolution and a limited vertical viewing angle, and the previous poster said you get no crosstalk with passive which is false.
post #4 of 15 Old 10-17-2011, 07:47 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by bedardmaxine View Post

While the colors and pictures look great, you have to consider flickers and crosstalks are almost inevitable on active 3D TVs.

I dont see any flicker, it looks like normal 2d 60hz to me.
post #5 of 15 Old 10-17-2011, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by VladimirGoshenko View Post

Reduced 3D resolution? Now we can go on all day about this. Progressive 1080p or not, when you're at comfortable viewing distance, its unnoticeable. Infact, a big percentage of 3D TV viewers actually prefer the resolution of passive over active, for many reasons, one of them is what you're talking about. Cross talk is virtually non existent on passive TV. I have only experienced it maybe one or two times in over hundreds of hours of watching and gaming in 3D. As far as vertical resolution? Who cares? If you want to actually stand in front of the TV at such an angle where 3D effect is limited, you need to sit your ass down and enjoy the movie. Now limited horizontal viewing angles on actives is a different story. Tell me, have you ever had over 8 people at your house watching sports games in 3D?

I picked up an LG 55LW6500 and the 3D is SO MUCH better on this set as compared to the sony. There is no question, 3d on the sony just plain sucks because there's just too much crosstalk. The LG may have a little, but it is almost unnoticeable. Now as for 2d, the sony is still better I think. This LG is way too bright even on standard settings and the auto motion does not seem as good either. I am definitely going to have to spend more time tweaking the LG for a decent picture. The sony was great at factory settings.

Rob
post #6 of 15 Old 10-27-2011, 08:48 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I'm not sure but if you were watching the Sony demo disc. I believe I read some where
it was a post conversion 3D and not filmed in 3D. so it may pare compared to real 3D film.
my HX800 is just fine with 3D.....

my HT
post #7 of 15 Old 10-27-2011, 07:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaamon View Post

I'm not sure but if you were watching the Sony demo disc. I believe I read some where
it was a post conversion 3D and not filmed in 3D. so it may pare compared to real 3D film.
my HX800 is just fine with 3D.....

I have the HX800 as well. Sometimes I think the 3D on the TV sucks, at other times I think it is good (but rarely great).

I know content has a lot to do with it, but crosstalk is a major issue at times.

I finally ordered Under The Sea. Most people seem to love this disc, so I'm curious to see what it looks like on my HX800.
post #8 of 15 Old 10-27-2011, 10:01 PM
Advanced Member

By my research, the LCD TVs with the lowest crosstalk are:

1. Phillips 9000 series
2. Toshiba WX800u
3. Sharp LE835

The Phillips is supposedly in plasma territory for xtalk. Looks amazing going by trustedreviews and digitalversus's reviews.

Out of curiosity, did you turn up the "picture" setting to 100%? I really like that setting high, but thats maybe just me...
post #9 of 15 Old 11-16-2011, 02:41 PM

I got KDL55HX729, and i did not use 3D yet, but i'm not impressive with this tv, the quality of the picture is not good like i was expecting a lot lag and i have time warner cable that has a good channels quality. With HD channels you can see lags too.

I have a samsung 32 i got it in 2007 the quality is better than this sony, the only lag i saw in my samsnug is blue ray with a fast movement from the camcorder not from the people like sony do.

I don't know what's going on with sony, but the only thing they are doing good is the playstation so far, let's see what they will do with ps4.

This tv was the last thing i got from sony , i will not buy from them anymore, just the playstation i will keep buying until they mess up with the videogame too.

I can't return the tv anymore, but if i could probably i will get Sharp aquos or samsung LED.

Sony tv avoid it, it has only price that's it
post #10 of 15 Old 11-22-2011, 11:28 AM

Very impressed with the picture quality (2D) of this set (HX729). Not too impressed with the 3D. To me it seems that the 3D effect starts at the display screen and goes back (sort of like looking through a window). I am not seeing many effects where I feel like reaching out to grab something that is floating in front of me.
For instance I stoppped by a LG demo unit at Costco and there was a loop playing that was an IMAX Into the Deep teaser that had this large Deep Sea cod floating around. It turns and seems to come right out of the screen and you want to reach up and grab it. (It's not just me because I stood by and watched other people's reactions and person after person would reach out in the same manner - actually quite funny to watch).
My set just seems to be three dimensional from the panel back.
Kind of dissapointing - but I haven't been able to find the Blue Ray IMAX disc that was on demonstration...........
post #11 of 15 Old 11-25-2011, 09:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpnOvr View Post

Very impressed with the picture quality (2D) of this set (HX729). Not too impressed with the 3D. To me it seems that the 3D effect starts at the display screen and goes back (sort of like looking through a window). I am not seeing many effects where I feel like reaching out to grab something that is floating in front of me.
For instance I stoppped by a LG demo unit at Costco and there was a loop playing that was an IMAX Into the Deep teaser that had this large Deep Sea cod floating around. It turns and seems to come right out of the screen and you want to reach up and grab it. (It's not just me because I stood by and watched other people's reactions and person after person would reach out in the same manner - actually quite funny to watch).
My set just seems to be three dimensional from the panel back.
Kind of dissapointing - but I haven't been able to find the Blue Ray IMAX disc that was on demonstration...........

I've had the same complaints and concerns about my Sony HX800. However, I recently bought Under The Sea and I can tell you that the cod fish DOES come far out of the screen. It's an amazing effect, even on the Sony. I can't say with certainty if it was QUITE as good as the LG that I saw, but it was good.
post #12 of 15 Old 11-25-2011, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
I have a 2010 Sony LX900, the first 3D TV out they made. I have never had problems with the picture. 2D is amazing and 3D is just as good. Of course some movies have crosstalk but this is the movie, not the TV. Almost all 3D movies I have watched look amazing on this TV.
Very good depth and popout as well.

Using the 2D to 3D I also never have problems, of course sometimes there is crosstalk its normal, the TV is converting 2D to 3D in real time so not gonna be perfect.

I honestly think those with problems need to calibrate their TV and make sure everything is set up properly. Back in 2010 the LX900 came in second as the best 3D TV on the market.. I highly doubt they have gotten worse after that with other models. Panasonic was first with their VT20.

However the HX800 model is lower than the LX900, LX900 was Sonys flagship back in 2010. Sony is leaps better than Samsung who came in last, Samsung has horrible crosstalk and numerous problems.

Sharp 3D TV's are alright but when they were reviewed the 3D effect wasn't as good as Sony.

3D items I own:

Sony 46" LX900 active 3D set

Sony HMZ-T3 (Cushion pads and light blocker mod)

LG LW6500 passive 3D set

PS3 & PS4

Sony BDP-S570 BD3D player

JVC-GS-TD1 (with Cyclopital base extender)

Fujifilm W3

Sony Alpha 55 (for 3D panoramic photos)

Quadcopter + Zenmuse and GoPro Hero 3 (Filming...

post #13 of 15 Old 12-06-2011, 09:49 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

bravia3D: I have a 2010 Sony LX900, the first 3D TV out they made. I have never had problems with the picture. 2D is amazing and 3D is just as good. Of course some movies have crosstalk but this is the movie, not the TV.

good comment. having watched 3D content and viewing James Cameron's discussion of
his 3D conversion of the movie "Titanic 3D" coming out this April in theaters.
it explains some of the movies I have seen that I know were converted. where some scenes
have ghosting that were not done correctly. the ghosting is because 1/2 of the area viewed
was not added properly into the other 1/2. some of it is camera focus.
what really needs to be done is several 3D cameras at different focus and splicing
it into the master to make any movie look real good.
I have noticed most daytime shots, as any camera person knows the "iris" is closed down
to a small pin hole and then very much more is focused, better depth of field.
Cameron had his crew redoing many areas that were not correctly in focus.
he also said he wanted the sounds redone in some areas.

I would like to get the sensation of the ship shuddering through my subwoofer as it
groans from the pains. hahaha
I am looking forward to it.

my HT
post #14 of 15 Old 01-02-2012, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
I've had this TV for about 2.5 weeks and despite what I've read, the overall Sony 3D experience on THIS model is excellent. Yes, depending on content, there can be crosstalk but usually it's minimal or nonexistent depending on the content I view. I purchased about 9 3D Blu-rays and got Avatar with my Panasonic BD player. My favorites for 3D have no or minimal crosstalk: Polar Express, Legends of the Guardians, IMAX Under The Sea. Depending on content, there can be a lot of "pop-out" visuals. The opera Carmen, produced by Real D and shot in HD Video does have some crosstalk but is gorgeous just the same. This set's 3D image is very bright (taking off the 3D glasses, the screen is much brighter than normal settings. Avatar looks great and is immersive and replicates the theatrical experience for me. What a great 3D movie experience. i have no problem with cross talk with this movie. The three free DirecTV 3D channels are a plus as well. The only minus is head tilting will remove the 3D effect. Overall, I'm very pleased with the 3D on this set.

Sony KDL-55HX729, Sony STR-DH820 Receiver, Sony BDP-S590 BD Player, Sony SA-W2500 subs, Sony, SS-CN5000 center channel, Sony SS-F6000 left and right front speakers, Sony 3D Glasses: TDG BR-750 & TDG-BR250, Apple TV, APC Back Up UPS XS1500, Apple Airport Extreme.
post #15 of 15 Old 03-06-2012, 07:00 AM

I have to agree with steve ans. I don't know what you guys are expecting in the ways of 3D anyways. It's far from a perfected technology. Naturally there is going to be crosstalk if you turn your heads to one side. Keep your heads straight and lean back on the couch or something if you need to rest your head. The 3D effect works perfectly for me. I have tested out Harry Potter 7 Parts 1 & 2, Tron Legacy, and Transformers 3. I have also tested out Gears of War 3 and Call of Duty Black Ops on the Xbox 360 in 3D as well (Gears of War did not look good, but that was because the 3D wasn't designed very well for the game - Black Ops looks fantastic to me). Aside from a few minutes at the beginning of getting used to the Active shutters - I notice a little bit of eye strain at the beginning of wearing them - but after a couple of minutes, that feeling is gone. I find that the TV's refresh rate keeps up with the 3D so you don't see ghosting on the top 1/3 or bottom 1/3 of the TV like I have heard with some of the lower Sony models.

Watching Tron to me felt exactly like it did in the movie theatre - the slow motion scenes of the disc flying across during the Arena scene makes the disc look like it's floating out from the TV as it passes by.

Naturally the simulated 2D to 3D effect will not be as great due to the fact that the TV is guessing at what should be represented in the foreground and what should be in the background.
Reply 3D Displays

Tags
Sony Bravia Kdl 55hx729 55 Inch 1080p 3d Led Hdtv With Built In Wi Fi
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page