Sony HMZ-T1 HMD Owner's dedicated thread - Page 113 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3361 of 3382 Old 01-08-2014, 06:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi Guys this is my first post on this thread and to be honest I am a newbe when it comes to this kind of technical work but I think the HMZ-T1 is broken, perhaps due to being modified. Any advice would be really appreciated.

I am using the HMD as part of my research to display visual stimuli. I modified it by attaching it to a cycle helmet to get a stable fit for many head sizes. To deal with the 10second time out I held the forehead button down using an elastic band. Once I had collected my initial set of data the HMD was left in storage for about 3-4 months but now it doesn’t seem to work. The pattern of issues is as follows:

·         Sometimes when it is connected to the laptop I get no operation from the HMD at all. The green light on the pass through box flashes and the computer seems to recognize that it is there because the screen resolution automatically changes but the HMD screen remains blank.

·         After unplugging everything, checking all the settings etc, the HMD will suddenly start working. I can get through the normal welcome, set up screens and the laptop desktop is displayed (at this point I am elated). But after 1 – 1.5 minutes the screen goes blank. It doesn’t state that there is no signal it is just blank whilst the green light on the pass through box remains on solid.

I’ve searched through forums etc and called sony but I haven’t found any details relating to this issue The sony rep said it sounded broken and that I should send it in. She suggested that it may need charging but alas this has not helped. As the product is out of warrantee the sony rep  advised that it may cost more to fix it than to just buy a new one :(  I am thinking about taking it apart and having a look myself. I figured that maybe the button under the head pad could be broken in some way.

Has anybody had a similar problem? or have any idea what the green flashing light means? If anyone has suggestions of other tests I could do to isolate the problem that would be really helpful too.

Apologies for the giant post I am just trying to be thorough.

Thanks in advance.  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3362 of 3382 Old 01-08-2014, 08:48 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 17
^^^^
Sounds like the switch where the forehead pressure-pad is is not staying on. Try manually activating it by toggling it back. Also double check that all cable connections are firmly seated in their sockets.
post #3363 of 3382 Old 01-10-2014, 09:03 AM

Hi again

Thank you for the advice Paul.

Since my last post I have replaced all of the cables used in the set up and tried a different laptop. I have also removed the top black panel to check that the forehead button is securely reaching the small internal button but there seems to be no problem there. The parts connect fine and the small internal button appears to be intact. Then I removed the forehead button and spring completely and fixed the small internal button so that was permanently held down. Unfortunately, none of these things have rectified the problem so I am certain that the issue does not relate to output device, connecting wires or the forehead button.

I've timed it a few times and I pretty much always get between 1 and 1.5 minutes of usual functioning and then a black screen. This is not accompanied by a no signal message so it seems that the signal is going in fine it just isn't being displayed.The odd thing about the fault is that it is so consistent. if there was some loose wiring or connection somewhere I would assume that the duration of normal function would be more varied. It makes me think that there is a problem with an electrical component but this certainly isn't my area of knowledge. If anyone has heard of anything similar or can offer any advice I would be very grateful! 

Thanks!

p.s. I really wish it was still under warrentee

post #3364 of 3382 Old 01-23-2014, 07:07 AM

Hey guys, quick (probably dumb) question.
I took my HMZ-T1 apart as due to my built (large) I had to make the lenses get further apart to remove all blurry corners. That worked fine.

While doing that I noticed that the oculus components are connected to the board with the ribbon cable and a quick release (no soldering). So my question is.....

....is there any reason why we can't use some ribbon extensions so that the entire thing can be placed in a separate breakout box and only mount the screens on a ski mask?

I suspect that the longer the cable the more signal loss you get (being DC current) but I'd like some opinions from someone who knows for sure.

Thanks
post #3365 of 3382 Old 04-21-2014, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratogustav View Post

Or maybe the HDMI outlet isn't 1.4 and that's why PowerDVD doen't give me the side by side option. Had anybody been able to get side by side with it?

Yep, I just kept 3D mode to Auto Detect in both PowerDVD and the HMZ-T1 settings and clicked on the 3D button on the toolbar. As mentioned before, the HMZ was the primary/solo display.

PowerDVD must be in fullscreen mode btw.
post #3366 of 3382 Old 04-21-2014, 05:17 PM

Liked: 14
Yeah I don't have a problem watching movies already in 3d, I'm talking about the 3d conversion feature on PowerDVD 13 doesn't work with the HMZ-T1
post #3367 of 3382 Old 04-21-2014, 09:24 PM

Quote:

Yeah I don't have a problem watching movies already in 3d, I'm talking about the 3d conversion feature on PowerDVD 13 doesn't work with the HMZ-T1

That is working fine as well. I think that is what I meant when I said I clicked on the 3D icon while a movie is being played.
post #3368 of 3382 Old 04-21-2014, 09:50 PM

Maybe because my laptop is not built for 3d even though the nvidia settings are 3d, I tried to turn off the laptop display and just have the viewer as a display but still nothing, the hmz doesn't recognize the 3d. What 3d setting do you have it at? Because when I put auto it just sends the blue and red 3d? Do you have it on polarized?
post #3369 of 3382 Old 04-21-2014, 10:16 PM

Quote:

Maybe because my laptop is not built for 3d even though the nvidia settings are 3d, I tried to turn off the laptop display and just have the viewer as a display but still nothing, the hmz doesn't recognize the 3d. What 3d setting do you have it at? Because when I put auto it just sends the blue and red 3d? Do you have it on polarized?

I have it on Auto. If i select polarized it just looks all jumbled up. I have AMD Radeon 6650 graphics, which is still 3 years old. I didnt really expect it to work after seeing your post but tried anyways. Maybe you have Intel graphics as well so that is what PowerDVD is detecting. See if you can completely disable the Intel graphics or set Nvidia as primary. Try updating your nvidia drivers to latest. I use drivers from AMD website rather than my laptops drivers download page.

Edit: Let me try polarized and see because I think I used polarized when it was duplicating by laptops display and not when the HMD was going solo. At that time it was jumbled up. I've got 6 hours of office time remaining rolleyes.gif before i get to go home.
post #3370 of 3382 Old 04-22-2014, 12:45 AM

Yeah Nvidea is my driver for graphics and is up to date, my only other guess is that theme USB port output is not 3d pass through, so far the only 3d that works is side by side and top by bottom, but if you think about it those are 2D files that the viewer combines, not the computer.
post #3371 of 3382 Old 05-02-2014, 02:30 AM

guys I am thinking of buying the HMZ-T1 tomorrow but I have the following questions...

1. Since it was launched in 2011/2012 is it still good quality for the technology nowadays ?

2. Mainly I want it to view 3D movies in mkv/sbs format.....can I connect it directly to a mediaplayer? What best budget media player is worth to get ?

3. Any other recommendations ?

My main usage as said is to watch only movies in my bed. At present I have an OPTOMA 3D projector (EW536) to view 3D movies and all...what difference should I expect with using the visor?
post #3372 of 3382 Old 05-02-2014, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwisper View Post

guys I am thinking of buying the HMZ-T1 tomorrow but I have the following questions...

1. Since it was launched in 2011/2012 is it still good quality for the technology nowadays ?

2. Mainly I want it to view movies 3d and not in mkv/sbs format.....can I connect it directly to a mediaplayer? What best budget media player is worth to get ?

3. Any other recommendations ?

My main usage as said is to watch only movies in my bed. At present I have an OPTOMA 3D projector (EW536) to view 3D movies and all...what difference should I expect with using the visor?

1. Yes.

2. 3D movies? Explain. Do you mean 3D blurays?

3. Remove the gear that links the focusing thingys. Use your own headphones.

It's like having a 3D OLED projector.
post #3373 of 3382 Old 05-02-2014, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHett View Post

1. Yes.

2. 3D movies? Explain. Do you mean 3D blurays?

3. Remove the gear that links the focusing thingys. Use your own headphones.

It's like having a 3D OLED projector.

Thanks....sorry I did confuse question number 2 which I have now edited smile.gif

Can I stream 3D/2D movies from my MacMini to my Ipad mini 2 which is connected to the HMZ-T1 ?
post #3374 of 3382 Old 05-02-2014, 07:21 AM

Hey guys, here is my little contribution.

The .STL files are ready for printing in ABS (3D printing), you have the precise measures to install HMZT1’s lens electronics and navigation buttons. They are 3 parts to be assembled, the pieces must be drilled to install the screws that hold them together. You decide where to take the assembly to install on goggles or whatever you want.

The images are from my last HMZT1 modification, the results are truly commendable.

If you want to read my analysis of the HMD can do so at the following link: http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/headtracking-personal-3d-viewer-hmzt1.288842/

Greetings from Argentina.

STL.zip 50k .zip file
post #3375 of 3382 Old 05-03-2014, 11:13 AM

Before buying am still confused on what to connect to input my mkv's and sbs.....

I shall use the glasses on my bed. I have a projection room with a 720p 3d projector but in summer I don't use it as the room comes totally hot so am thinking of using this visor on my bed with the air conditioning system smile.gif

My only problem is that I have only an ipad mini 2.......I can buy the lightning to hdmi cable but still I will have a problem on how to play my mkv/sbs that are located in another room on the hard disk of the mac mini which normally I play via xbmc to my projector.

Since I shall be using the visor in my bedroom I literally need only small/hideable gadgets.......any suggestions ?
post #3376 of 3382 Old 05-03-2014, 03:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 48
why not to hook to your mac mini???
post #3377 of 3382 Old 05-03-2014, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borland View Post

why not to hook to your mac mini???

My mac mini is located in my projection room
post #3378 of 3382 Old 05-04-2014, 01:44 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 48
OK - if you mac mini is unmovable and chained to the projector I would buy any ultrabook with i-core - dead cheap and 3d bd iso capable with right software.
post #3379 of 3382 Old 05-04-2014, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borland View Post

OK - if you mac mini is unmovable and chained to the projector I would buy any ultrabook with i-core - dead cheap and 3d bd iso capable with right software.

That will be out of my budget for now so what I shall do is to connect a westerndigital mplayer
post #3380 of 3382 Old 05-06-2014, 03:12 AM

so yesterday got the HMZ-T1 but had no chance to try it out as I still need to sort some problems with wiring smile.gif

Since I wear glasses and have 2 types of glasses one for reading and another to see afar...which one is recommended to use with the goggles ?
post #3381 of 3382 Old 05-06-2014, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 244

Try both, but I'm pretty sure it is designed for "far distance" vision, not "reading distance" vision.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

post #3382 of 3382 Old 05-07-2014, 06:50 AM

Infact seems to work best the far sight glasses.

Tried today and have these issues....

The small light blockers seem to fall off all the time.....do I really need to use them?

I need to move the visor up and sometimes hold it with my hand to get right focus.....do I need to change the top forehead part ?

Was impressed with quality but not 3D sbs movies......was not getting that 3D I usually get with my 3D dlp 720p projector....am missing any settings ?
Reply 3D Displays

Tags
3d Hdtv

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page