Sony HMZ-T1 HMD Owner's dedicated thread - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 3382 Old 11-16-2011, 11:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hmmmm the price being removed from Sonys UK website is worrying.

Maybe theres some partial truth in that info about limited to 250 in the UK :S Doesnt bode well for Stoneaudio etc customers either
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 3382 Old 11-16-2011, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

I had a chance to try this out at the mellenia mall in Orlando. The unit was hooked up to a ps3 and was pretty beat up by all the kids. The back head strap was broken and the foam was ripped off one headphone. I had a hard time getting the proper fit but my noggin is hard to fit anyway.

The sales clerk loaded what I think was "Legend of the Guardians". The opening credits followed an owl through a lot of aerobatics. I decided to take the thing off before I barfed. It took me 5 minutes of walking through the mall to recover my land legs. It was a major setback for my desire for one of these things - even worse because my wife was with me and WAF tanked on the spot.

Larry
post #543 of 3382 Old 11-16-2011, 12:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzow View Post

I had a chance to try this out at the mellenia mall in Orlando. The unit was hooked up to a ps3 and was pretty beat up by all the kids. The back head strap was broken and the foam was ripped off one headphone. I had a hard time getting the proper fit but my noggin is hard to fit anyway.

The sales clerk loaded what I think was "Legend of the Guardians". The opening credits followed an owl through a lot of aerobatics. I decided to take the thing off before I barfed. It took me 5 minutes of walking through the mall to recover my land legs. It was a major setback for my desire for one of these things - even worse because my wife was with me and WAF tanked on the spot.

I've found that barfing on the wife is the single biggest problem in WAF.

-Pie

"The Brothers, they think I don't know a buttload of crap about the Gospel..." -Nacho
Story Bytes - Very Short Stories

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #544 of 3382 Old 11-16-2011, 12:27 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngneil1 View Post

I wonder a little that even the TrackIR devs seem to have trouble get it support Skyrim - or perhaps they haven't even tried and judged from Bethesda's statements alone?

It's discussed here:

http://forum.naturalpoint.com/forum/...9487#Post49487

I don't have a naturalpoint account and don't feel like making one, so maybe you can relay this bit, which may or may not be helpful.

There was a "free look" mod for Oblivion that I wanted to adapt to use with a headtracker. The way the original mod worked- you pressed a button the decoupled the camera from the body and you could then move the view independent of the arms. Unfortunately, you could no loger move the body in this mode- and since it used "the mouse" to move the view, even if you could move the body forward and laterally, you wouldn't be able to turn. I tried to see if I could adapt it to use a 2nd analogue input (another mouse, a joystick, whatever) so that my headtracker could emulate that and I could get free look and full motion all of the time. Due to my own limitations and I think the limitations of the regular Oblivion engine, I was never able to make much progress. But perhaps someone at Natural Point would have the skills or Skyrim has the flexibility to make this happen. Of course, we'll need to wait until the SDK comes out- but perhaps the Free Look mod from Oblivion is still not a bad starting point.

It might have been this one: http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=9499 There might be another one.
post #545 of 3382 Old 11-16-2011, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonStatt View Post

Mine arrived very early this morning but I only had a few minutes to try it before going to work.

I can see that getting a good fit is a real struggle! I tried all 3 forehead pieces, and fiddled around with the straps.

I can get a sharp image...that wasn't the problem. The issue is that I could only get a sharp image if the headset was low enough down my face that it presses on my nose. The weight is not on the nose, but it compresses my nose. It is tolerable, but not as comfortable as I feel it should be.

Everyone's head is different but for others that have received theirs, does the unit sit above or make contact with your nose?

I got mines today as well Jon, really digging this.

I have actually took off the pressure pads completly and found i can get a beter focus that way, just need to use something to hold the sensor back that would normally be pushed with the pad on the forehead.

Dave
post #546 of 3382 Old 11-16-2011, 01:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk1210 View Post

I got mines today as well Jon, really digging this.

I have actually took off the pressure pads completly and found i can get a beter focus that way, just need to use something to hold the sensor back that would normally be pushed with the pad on the forehead.

Couple of cotton balls?

-Pie

"The Brothers, they think I don't know a buttload of crap about the Gospel..." -Nacho

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #547 of 3382 Old 11-16-2011, 01:43 PM

Quote:

I don't have a naturalpoint account and don't feel like making one, so maybe you can relay this bit, which may or may not be helpful.

Thanks a lot for the input, Xhonzi - I have made the devs aware of your mod, sounds exactly like the stuff they are looking for. Let's wait and see.
post #548 of 3382 Old 11-16-2011, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:

The customer service representatives are downright rude. They seem to take the call as an annoyance. Last time I was lectured on how natural disasters are out of their control. I was also told the manufacturing locations were hit by the flood in Thailand and the earthquake in Japan...I sense BS. Anybody know for a FACT where these are being manufactured?

Its BS, no Sony manufacturing areas were hit in Fukushima Japan. They are just making dumb excuses. I remember being in the US years ago buying a PlayStation 2. I waited at Wal-Mart in a line all night. Only to get told there is a limited supply. Sure enough, I didn't get one. Tried ordering one from Sony who told me a fire in their Japanese manufacturing plant has caused them to be backed up.. A little research and I found it was total BS!

Honestly I am getting sick of Sony, as I mentioned the iPAD and iPAD 2 were way more popular and plenty of stock of those... Even Sonys dang PSP Vita is hard to get and outa stock all over unless you reserved.. Some won't get it till late Dec early Jan.

Some store staff here in Japan are upset also, as customers get mad they can't get their hands on products that were announced to be OUT this month for purchase. Stupid Sony, if the product is going to be hell to get at least announce it instead of saying a release date to buy.

3D items I own:

Sony 46" LX900 active 3D set

Sony HMZ-T3 (Cushion pads and light blocker mod)

LG LW6500 passive 3D set

PS3 & PS4

Sony BDP-S570 BD3D player

JVC-GS-TD1 (with Cyclopital base extender)

Fujifilm W3

Sony Alpha 55 (for 3D panoramic photos)

Quadcopter + Zenmuse and GoPro Hero 3 (Filming...

post #549 of 3382 Old 11-16-2011, 02:04 PM

Quote:

Thanks a lot for the fast and clear answers, Vic-Viper -that's fantatstic! A superb find - off to NaturalPoint, TrackIR customer incoming, hehe . Great that you shared that with us, mate.

Glad to hear it. I had my breath taken away in Skyrim (PC) when I heard a roar and a shadow passed over me. I instinctively looked up and with TrackIR, the game looked up to see a Dragon flying overhead. It was surreal
post #550 of 3382 Old 11-16-2011, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravia3D View Post

Its BS, no Sony manufacturing areas were hit in Fukushima Japan. They are just making dumb excuses. I remember being in the US years ago buying a PlayStation 2. I waited at Wal-Mart in a line all night. Only to get told there is a limited supply. Sure enough, I didn't get one. Tried ordering one from Sony who told me a fire in their Japanese manufacturing plant has caused them to be backed up.. A little research and I found it was total BS!

Honestly I am getting sick of Sony, as I mentioned the iPAD and iPAD 2 were way more popular and plenty of stock of those... Even Sonys dang PSP Vita is hard to get and outa stock all over unless you reserved.. Some won't get it till late Dec early Jan.

Some store staff here in Japan are upset also, as customers get mad they can't get their hands on products that were announced to be OUT this month for purchase. Stupid Sony, if the product is going to be hell to get at least announce it instead of saying a release date to buy.

Tailand got hit with major floods. There are a number of OLED factories there that got hit hard. Sony is using the same 0.7inch OLED in a camera that got delayed until next year due to this.

One of the reasons the supply is so short is due to these floods. Need more proof?

post #551 of 3382 Old 11-16-2011, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

But thats neither Japan or Thailand

If this was the case, they could have delayed the product until they actually had enough to sell. Instead of making people wait, wait and wait for a product that was announced to be FORSALE already. When I hear a product is OUT on a certain date, I expect to be able to walk into a store and buy it.. Not wait 3 more months to see if possibly I can get one. This is typical of Sony to release something and make many wait months before getting it.

3D items I own:

LG LW6500 passive 3D set

PS3 & PS4

Fujifilm W3

post #552 of 3382 Old 11-16-2011, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I thought only Thailand had floods that affected factories, not Taiwan.

Right back when I pre-ordered my unit in the UK, I was told only 250 for the UK and probably no more than that, ever. This product is considered a proof of concept and is not intended for mass market consumption. The reason the Sony UK site probably doesn't list any price anymore is because they filled their 250 quota.

Demand has been much bigger than expected. Whether this will encourage Sony to reconsider will be interesting to see.

When I was busy chasing wrong information in the UK as for the reasons they couldn't give me a delivery date, although they couldn't answer, they did make it clear that this product was not affected by any regional disasters.

To me this looks like unexpected demand and some poor local organisation. I certainly don't believe they pulled the product because it pinched peoples noses! :P
post #553 of 3382 Old 11-16-2011, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I was curious about the test screen that makes sure the line and I symbols match up when you start-up the HMZ-T1. This ensures that both panels are in alignment with each other, which could result in nausea/headaches if not.

My line is directly through the middle of the I symbols like --I----I----I--- . Spot on perfect. If the unit gets dropped I can see that being "off". But the manual makes it clear it may not be perfect, but still would be acceptable as long as the line does not go outside of the boundaries of the I. Is anyone elses, anything less than perfectly through the middle?

I had to alter the lens spacing to the widest possible setting, otherwise everything was very blurry. I guess that means my eyes are too wide apart?
post #554 of 3382 Old 11-16-2011, 02:57 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Thanks a lot for the input, Xhonzi - I have made the devs aware of your mod, sounds exactly like the stuff they are looking for. Let's wait and see.

Hopefully it's useful to somebody.
post #555 of 3382 Old 11-16-2011, 03:11 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk1210 View Post

actually took off the pressure pads completly and found i can get a beter focus that way, just need to use something to hold the sensor back that would normally be pushed with the pad on the forehead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatingPie View Post

Couple of cotton balls?

Post # 357 11/13/11:
Quote:

My latest experiments for comfort and total screen focus involves removing the forehead pad completely. The only pressure I'm conscious of now is the ear pads on my ears. I took a large metal paper clip and bent the rounded ends on each side very slightly with needle-nose pliers to give enough width for the clip to hold snugly the plastic forehead switch in the "on" position. Had to also bend just the upper wire of the clip in the middle, round it for smoothness and now I can slip it in where it acts like a spring that keeps the HMD on. The clip fits snugly and is easy to remove.

Paul

post #556 of 3382 Old 11-16-2011, 03:35 PM

Quote:

I thought only Thailand had floods that affected factories, not Taiwan.

Right back when I pre-ordered my unit in the UK, I was told only 250 for the UK and probably no more than that, ever. This product is considered a proof of concept and is not intended for mass market consumption. The reason the Sony UK site probably doesn't list any price anymore is because they filled their 250 quota.

Demand has been much bigger than expected. Whether this will encourage Sony to reconsider will be interesting to see.

When I was busy chasing wrong information in the UK as for the reasons they couldn't give me a delivery date, although they couldn't answer, they did make it clear that this product was not affected by any regional disasters.

To me this looks like unexpected demand and some poor local organisation. I certainly don't believe they pulled the product because it pinched peoples noses! :P

That's what I get for typing without my energy drink. It is Thailand, not Taiwan...oops!
post #557 of 3382 Old 11-16-2011, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravia3D View Post

But thats neither Japan or Thailand

If this was the case, they could have delayed the product until they actually had enough to sell. Instead of making people wait, wait and wait for a product that was announced to be FORSALE already. When I hear a product is OUT on a certain date, I expect to be able to walk into a store and buy it.. Not wait 3 more months to see if possibly I can get one. This is typical of Sony to release something and make many wait months before getting it.

This is also the typical Nintendo, Apple, Microsoft, or any hardware manufacturer with a launch.

How long until the Wii was available to those who didn't wait in line for hours (days) or pre-order? Same for the Xbox 360, etc.

It sucks, we know. It's not just a Sony factor though. I hope you manage to get yours soon though. Waiting sucks. My Spyder III 1 watt Laser from Wicked Lasers took 9 months to get
post #558 of 3382 Old 11-16-2011, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Never mind me, I am just grumpy I don't have one yet Yes, waiting sucks.... Looks like I can't get one till Jan or Feb

3D items I own:

LG LW6500 passive 3D set

PS3 & PS4

Fujifilm W3

post #559 of 3382 Old 11-16-2011, 04:16 PM

watching this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJPhV75vN9s at moment - quite critical of it so far

finished watching....not a very good review...some daft comments in there, though a couple of fair criticisms. Bit concerned about the length of that cable from box to headset.....IIRC he said it was about 6-9ft. Could anyone please be a bit more precise in the cables length?

The nose piece does look a bit small too for my honk
post #560 of 3382 Old 11-16-2011, 04:28 PM

I think we need another owners thread.. this is turning our to be.. daym you people for taking the risk and ordering so early thread.

I cannot blame people... it's a really awesome device to want.. Even better to have..

Here's mine with the tracKIR Clip-on..

Another

And my awesome super comfy naturally conforming to you unique shape nose piece.. I'm selling these for $39.99 each

Ok I admit it's an ear plug.. but works great.. May slice up a few more and stick them around the device.

post #561 of 3382 Old 11-16-2011, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastyUK View Post

I think we need another owners thread.. this is turning our to be.. daym you people for taking the risk and ordering so early thread.

I cannot blame people... it's a really awesome device to want.. Even better to have..

Here's mine with the tracKIR Clip-on..

Another

And my awesome super comfy naturally conforming to you unique shape nose piece.. I'm selling these for $39.99 each

Ok I admit it's an ear plug.. but works great.. May slice up a few more and stick them around the device.

I have this clip too, but haven't tried it out yet.
post #562 of 3382 Old 11-16-2011, 04:58 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Tboy View Post

Bit concerned about the length of that cable from box to headset.....IIRC he said it was about 6-9ft. Could anyone please be a bit more precise in the cables length?

The cable he is talking about is the HDMI one that goes from the box to the source/player. The cable from box to headset is 11 feet.

Paul

post #563 of 3382 Old 11-16-2011, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul H View Post

The cable he is talking about is the HDMI one that goes from the box to the source/player. The cable from box to headset is 11 feet.

Paul

ah thanks for confirming that
post #564 of 3382 Old 11-16-2011, 05:21 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Sitting 4 feet away from my TV so that I cannot see the edges of it, does not result in the same 3D experience as an IMAX cinema.

I'm not claiming the overall experience is same - but objects obviously scale with the image.

Enjoying Nissan Leaf as the primary car for over 6 months : MyNissanLeaf.com
post #565 of 3382 Old 11-16-2011, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatingPie View Post

As research shows, the negative parallax causes fatigue, and can't be used extensively.

Link ? Anyway - doesn't cause any fatigue for me.

post #566 of 3382 Old 11-16-2011, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronoptimist View Post

In the real world, nothing pops out at you.

I see things pop all the time. Anything thrown at you - seems to be "popping" at you.

Infact we have a natural, instinctive reaction to get out of the way of things that "pop" at us. That is why some movie makers can use "pop" as a cheap thrill.

Anyway - the question is not whether something is "popping" at you or not. It is whether things can look closer to you than the screen is - as well as look farther away from you than the screen.

post #567 of 3382 Old 11-16-2011, 05:34 PM

on a bit of a tangent.....

I need to buy a new pc to go with this headset (if I ever get it from stoneaudio)

As its been many years since bought a pc for the primary purpose of gaming (probably around 2003/4 last gaming pc I bought ) and never delved into 3d stuff, bit unsure here.

Presuming I get an nvidia card (thinking GTX560 or 580 at current moment), do I need anything else to be able to play all games, and movies in 3d movie with this headset? As I see options for buying 3d vision packs, and coulda swore earlier in this thread some mention of the new drivers only being available to those who have bought those packages - and obv with us having headsets, we won't need 3d glasses and the likes.

So, basically, is there a specific need for nvidia to make you buy extras to use these in all games? Like the new LA Noire complete collection for example
post #568 of 3382 Old 11-16-2011, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Tboy View Post

watching this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJPhV75vN9s at moment - quite critical of it so far

finished watching....not a very good review...some daft comments in there, though a couple of fair criticisms. Bit concerned about the length of that cable from box to headset.....IIRC he said it was about 6-9ft. Could anyone please be a bit more precise in the cables length?

The nose piece does look a bit small too for my honk

Wow, that dudes voice was really annoying, he needs to take a deep breath and relax.
post #569 of 3382 Old 11-16-2011, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIMS View Post

I ordered mine on the 6th and received it yesterday.

Are you from the US? I ordered mine on the 6th as well and have not even received an update on the status.
post #570 of 3382 Old 11-16-2011, 07:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evnow View Post

Link ? Anyway - doesn't cause any fatigue for me.

http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/freea...number=5375123

The visual fatigue is a common question in stereoscopic image observation based on parallax, and the essential reason is that convergence and focus adjustment are inconsistent, which violates the principe that convergence and focus adjustment are consistent in the real world. The paper explores the causes of visual fatigue in stereoscopic image observation by the visual physiology and psychology, by the stereo image pair, and by the free three-dimensional display parameter, and establishes the pattern of the visual fatigue factor and measures for the visual fatigue. Based on the pattern, negative parallax and the big ghost degree can easily cause the visual fatigue by the experimental verification.

Several of the sites discussing parallax, particularly those about making movies in 3D, make sure to point out the fatigue issue of negative parallax for standard-run (90 minutes+) movies.

Obviously everybody is different, and will respond to parallax differently. Your resistance to fatigue is similar to my resistance to FPS seasick effect! (I haven't seen very much negative parallax so I don't know my fatigue limit. )

-Pie

Reply 3D Displays

Tags
3d Hdtv

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page