Sony HMZ-T1 HMD Owner's dedicated thread - Page 23 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #661 of 3382 Old 11-18-2011, 05:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Got an update from Sony Style Canada, my order will ship on the 22nd !

Canadians, check your status online, it probably got updated too.

Can't wait to finally receive it, I've pre-ordered since October 5th !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #662 of 3382 Old 11-18-2011, 05:59 AM

For skyrim I decided not to use these "sky-fixes" as I like the skies with stars and everything. I am waiting for a proper fix. I also find the water 3d glitches quite annoying and almost everything that's nice about the water gfx needs to be turned off in order to work correctly in stereo 3d.

As skyrim is anyway a game that has to be played for lots of hours I decided not to play it with the hmz for now - if the eyes are not the problem then the neck certainly is. I also found out that I start looking more and more downwards if I'm playing while sitting on a desk with keyboard & mouse because of the hmz weight and that makes matters worse for the neck muscles.

But those dungeons did indeed look awesome.

I got big hopes for Batman Arkham City btw. It has developers who care about stereo 3d.

In general I think the HMZ works much better on a pc than on consoles. Once you get it to work with the pc that is. (3dplay needs some driver trickery to accept the hmz to do hdmi 1.4 stereo 3d)

As the resolution is a bit limited, nice antialiasing really helps making the 3d feel "natural". The consoles just lack the gfx power to do that in stereo 3d (well star dust hd does it, maybe that's why I like it so much). Without Antialiasing borders of objects get a weird stereoscopic flicker that I find annoying on the HMZ as everything else is so perfect.
post #663 of 3382 Old 11-18-2011, 07:30 AM

Liked: 11
Like others here, I found that switching to the thin forehead pad alleviates the pressure the HMZ-T1 places on my forehead, and gives me edge-to-edge sharpness that I can't get with the medium pad. However, the unit still has to rest low on my nose which I find to be a bit bothersome. I found an effective way to eliminate most the pressure on my nose. I took a small chunk of HandiTak and molded it just above the tip of my nose where the HMZ-T1 would rest. HandiTak is an adhesive, resuable putty made by the Super Glue company, normally used to do things like hang posters and photos on walls. You can find it in any hardware store like Home Depot, and probably Walmart. Only costs a couple bucks. It's odorless and easily comes on/off the nose. The HandiTak acts as a nice cushion, alleviating much of the pressure on nose. Definitely give it a try if you're finding the pressure on your nose to be bothersome.
post #664 of 3382 Old 11-18-2011, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by axdenied View Post

Got an update from Sony Style Canada, my order will ship on the 22nd !

Canadians, check your status online, it probably got updated too.

Can't wait to finally receive it, I've pre-ordered since October 5th !

True. Mine says November 21

I'm not as excited as you though, with all the BS from Sony Canada. I don't actually expect it to ship monday. I hope it does but I wouldn't be surprised if the "global launch" isn't pushed back until January even though my unit was in the warehouse since Nov 4th. Not to mention I got at least 5 different reasons as to why they wouldn't ship it to me. All the way from the phone CS pawn up to upper management.

I REALLY hope I get this thing soon as I've amassed a small treasure trove of content to watch and MANY games to play. I also hope I love this more then 3 1080p monitors for gaming as that would save me 2000 if I didn't have to upgrade to the Asus 27" monitors.

Anyway. FU Sonystyle.ca, I hope it ships and I never have to deal with those cum gurglers again. Surprised they didn't cancel my order after my last email to the head of Sony Canada
post #665 of 3382 Old 11-18-2011, 07:37 AM

Last night I tried smallest Forhead pad on the lower track and the pain on the nose decreased somewhat. Honostly I don't even know what else to try.
post #666 of 3382 Old 11-18-2011, 07:42 AM

I have come to a complete standstill trying to figure out how to properly split a 3d signal between two displays. I am able to split 2D signals to my tv and 3d viewer with full audio and video. I am also able to split the 3D signal (video and audio) to one of the displays, yet I can't seem to get 3D to work on both displays at the same time. My current setup is as follows:

Mitsubishi DLP WD-65638 3D Ready
Mitsubishi 3DA-1 3D Adapter Pack
Apogee HDMI 3x1 Mini Switcher
2 Port HDMI Splitter HDMI v1.3b 10.2Gbps - see site for full details below
callcct.com/2-Port-HDMI-Splitter
PS3 SLIM 160GB
Samsung SMT-H3270 DVR through Time Warner Cable
Sony Personal 3D Viewer HMZ-T1 (includes

What I have tried (all via HDMI) with no luck....

Setup 1 -
DVR and PS3 hdmi's out -> switcher (in -tried all 3 inputs)
switcher hdmi (out) -> Mits. Adapter (in)
Mits. Adapter (out) -> splitter (in)
splitter (out 1) -> TV (in) & splitter (out 2) -> Sony 3D Viewer Control Box hdmi (in)
Control box HMD out to 3D viewer (this is NOT connected via hdmi as it has it's own unique connector)

Setup 2
DVR and PS3 hdmi's out -> switcher (in - tried all 3 inputs)
switcher hdmi (out) -> splitter (in)
splitter (out 1) -> Mits Adapter (in), Mits Adapter (out) -> TV (in)
splitter (out 2) -> Sony 3D Viewer Control Box hdmi (in)
Control box HMD out to 3D viewer (this is NOT connected via hdmi as it has it's own unique connector)

To see HMD connector, check Sony Style website (i haven't posted enough to include url's yet) ...

Additional details:

Viewing Movies downloaded in Side by Side Format
With both units powered on and displaying the same image in 2d, I set the tv to 3d mode, cycled through the 3d inputs on the adapter to find the correct setting, and obtained a full 3d picture. However, the 3d viewer then loses the signal and I have to power it off and then back on to get the signal back. Once it returns, I go into the 3d viewer settings, turn on 3d, and the picture is blurry. From there, I changed the format on the viewer to side by side, and the picture appears to be zoomed in and it can't be adjusted. When I change the format on the Mits. adapter to side by side, the viewer can then be set to see full 3d. However, the tv now displays a split screen side by side.

Viewing 3D Content from DVR (ESPN 3D - 3D Output is Top/Bottom)
Same issues as viewing movies described above.

Testing PS3 Games
With both units powered on and displaying the PS3 menu screen (tv is already in 3d mode), I select Super Stardust HD. The menu appears, and I select "Play in 3D". The tv loses signal and goes blank. However, the viewer continues to carry the signal and displays a blurry picture. I turn on 3d mode from the viewer settings, and I have full 3d. I quit the game, went back to the PS3 home screen, and the signal reappeared on the tv.

At this point, I am going to go buy all new High Speed HDMI cables and replace those I currently have. If anyone has any other suggestions or might have a solution, it would be greatly appreciated. I'm starting to lose hope that I can split the signal and watch 3d content on both displays. This would be a major let down as I would like to play games, watch movies and sports in 3d (on my tv and sony viewer) with friends at the same time.

Thanks in advance for any help that can be directed my way!
post #667 of 3382 Old 11-18-2011, 07:51 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixCoyote View Post

I took a small chunk of HandiTak and molded it just above the tip of my nose where the HMZ-T1 would rest. HandiTak is an adhesive, resuable putty made by the Super Glue company, normally used to do things like hang posters and photos on walls. ...... It's odorless and easily comes on/off the nose. The HandiTak acts as a nice cushion, alleviating much of the pressure on nose. Definitely give it a try if you're finding the pressure on your nose to be bothersome.

A word of advice: Read the caution/warnings on the product lable! You need to use extreme caution for many products when you put anything that has a chemical make-up not meant to be ingested or that may be toxic or cause an allergic reaction when touching the skin for long periods of time.

Just be careful.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #668 of 3382 Old 11-18-2011, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonStatt View Post

I saw various replies to your post but I am a bit confused as to what the problem is. Did you have a chance to read my review?

In your situation you would unplug the HDMI cable running from the PS3 to your HT-IS100 at the back of the HT-IS100 and connect it to the IN of the HMZ-T1 control box. Then you run the extra provided HDMI cable from the control box to your HT-IS100. This way when the headset is off, it will function EXACTLY the same way it did before. When the headset is on it will cut the video and audio from your HT-IS100 and direct it only to the headset.

Were you trying to get both operational at the same time?

NOTE: Your PS3 may not output 3D until you re-run the PS3 display wizard while the headset is on. It is easy to re-run it and this will force the PS3 to detect a 3D device is available.

Thanks a lot Jon that makes perfect sense. My headset is still on a preorder from Sony UK so not had the chance to try it yet. What was confusing me was the fact that elsewhere users of the HT-IS100 were bemoaning the fact that it cannot process 3D due to not being HDMI 1.4 compliant. I guess that the processor box for the headset bypasses this and feeds audio/video directly from the PS3 in which case I'm happy at having not to replace my theatre sound system.
post #669 of 3382 Old 11-18-2011, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bionaire View Post

Thanks a lot Jon that makes perfect sense. My headset is still on a preorder from Sony UK so not had the chance to try it yet. What was confusing me was the fact that elsewhere users of the HT-IS100 were bemoaning the fact that it cannot process 3D due to not being HDMI 1.4 compliant. I guess that the processor box for the headset bypasses this and feeds audio/video directly from the PS3 in which case I'm happy at having not to replace my theatre sound system.

You definitely do not need to spend any more money!

The important thing here is you put the HMZ-T1 control box inbetween the PS3 and your HT-IS100 so effectively your HT-IS100 is out of the equation altogether when using the headset. If you tried to put the control box inbetween your HT-IS100 and your TV then you would probably run into problems with the 3D. So don't worry, you should be fine. I hope you don't have to wait too long.
post #670 of 3382 Old 11-18-2011, 08:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emans View Post

Yeah if a 1080p sbs movie breaks up into 540 lines for each eye that would be better than 720p set to 360 lines for each right? Unless it first downscales to 720p which I'm guessing would be less impressive.

SBS Doesn't affect vertical resolution. A 1080p SBS picture's horizontal resolution decreases from 1920 to 960, but vertical resolution remains 1080.

But your core thought is good. There would be more horizontal resolution if it split it into two 960 pixel wide pictures and then scaled them to 1280, than if it scaled the SBS image to 1280, split it into two 640 pixel wide pictures, and then doubled them to 1280... though that is probably what they do. It's easier/cheaper to have 1 scaler and 2 doublers than to have 2 scalers.
post #671 of 3382 Old 11-18-2011, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unc2k3 View Post

I have come to a complete standstill trying to figure out how to properly split a 3d signal between two displays. I am able to split 2D signals to my tv and 3d viewer with full audio and video. I am also able to split the 3D signal (video and audio) to one of the displays, yet I can't seem to get 3D to work on both displays at the same time. My current setup is as follows:

Mitsubishi DLP WD-65638 3D Ready
Mitsubishi 3DA-1 3D Adapter Pack
Apogee HDMI 3x1 Mini Switcher
2 Port HDMI Splitter HDMI v1.3b 10.2Gbps - see site for full details below
callcct.com/2-Port-HDMI-Splitter
PS3 SLIM 160GB
Samsung SMT-H3270 DVR through Time Warner Cable
Sony Personal 3D Viewer HMZ-T1 (includes

What I have tried (all via HDMI) with no luck....

Setup 1 -
DVR and PS3 hdmi's out -> switcher (in -tried all 3 inputs)
switcher hdmi (out) -> Mits. Adapter (in)
Mits. Adapter (out) -> splitter (in)
splitter (out 1) -> TV (in) & splitter (out 2) -> Sony 3D Viewer Control Box hdmi (in)

Setup 2
DVR and PS3 hdmi's out -> switcher (in - tried all 3 inputs)
switcher hdmi (out) -> splitter (in)
splitter (out 1) -> Mits Adapter (in), Mits Adapter (out) -> TV (in)
splitter (out 2) -> Sony 3D Viewer Control Box hdmi (in)

To see HMD connector, check Sony Style website (i haven't posted enough to include url's yet) ...

Additional details:

Viewing Movies downloaded in Side by Side Format
With both units powered on and displaying the same image in 2d, I set the tv to 3d mode, cycled through the 3d inputs on the adapter to find the correct setting, and obtained a full 3d picture. However, the 3d viewer then loses the signal and I have to power it off and then back on to get the signal back. Once it returns, I go into the 3d viewer settings, turn on 3d, and the picture is blurry. From there, I changed the format on the viewer to side by side, and the picture appears to be zoomed in and it can't be adjusted. When I change the format on the Mits. adapter to side by side, the viewer can then be set to see full 3d. However, the tv now displays a split screen side by side.

Viewing 3D Content from DVR (ESPN 3D - 3D Output is Top/Bottom)
Same issues as viewing movies described above.

Testing PS3 Games
With both units powered on and displaying the PS3 menu screen (tv is already in 3d mode), I select Super Stardust HD. The menu appears, and I select "Play in 3D". The tv loses signal and goes blank. However, the viewer continues to carry the signal and displays a blurry picture. I turn on 3d mode from the viewer settings, and I have full 3d. I quit the game, went back to the PS3 home screen, and the signal reappeared on the tv.

At this point, I am going to go buy all new High Speed HDMI cables and replace those I currently have. If anyone has any other suggestions or might have a solution, it would be greatly appreciated. I'm starting to lose hope that I can split the signal and watch 3d content on both displays. This would be a major let down as I would like to play games, watch movies and sports in 3d (on my tv and sony viewer) with friends at the same time.

Thanks in advance for any help that can be directed my way!

I'm just taking a wild guess here, but I think it may have to do with handshaking and different EDID on the devices.

I found this via a quick google. I've never used their product and I'm not making any endorsements, but you might want to contact them and see if that unit will do what you want it to do. Good luck
post #672 of 3382 Old 11-18-2011, 10:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul H View Post

I would like to hear others opinions on this myself. When I use my F 3D laptop it gives me the options of 720P/3D or 1080P/3D and I think when the HMD receives 1080P/3D the picture looks more detailed.

Just guessing that the micro-pixel structure of the already miniature displays may help mask down-conversion artifacts, because I just can't see any.

Paul

I could not get the PS3 set to 720p only and have it do 3D as well. Games send a 720p 3D signal, but if you want to test with a Blu-ray at 720p 3D, I don't know how to get it to work.

That said my feeling was the 720p 2D Blu-ray image was not as clear as the 1080p image, though I only watched a preview.

-Pie

"The Brothers, they think I don't know a buttload of crap about the Gospel..." -Nacho
Story Bytes - Very Short Stories

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #673 of 3382 Old 11-18-2011, 11:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by belovedconsole View Post

I have noticed with this setup that if you select, on the ps3, opti out only, you will get all formats of surround, etc. But if you elect to output through BOTH HDMI and Optical... HDMI will get the surround treatment, but optical will only get stereo.

It warns about that, but I didn't understand what it meant.

I was super disappointed with Tron in Lossy DTS, having watched it in full-resolution DTS-MA. Now I'm wondering if that was simply due to optical out running stereo without me noticing as I didn't look at the amp's OSD (I sorta had this thing on my head blocking my vision).

My amp actually passes the 3D signal via HDMI, but refuses to decode the audio from it. So it's lossy optical, or a new BD player with a 2nd HDMI sub out.

-Pie

"The Brothers, they think I don't know a buttload of crap about the Gospel..." -Nacho

post #674 of 3382 Old 11-18-2011, 11:23 AM
y8s

Quote:
Originally Posted by tory40 View Post

High FOV is also something i consider essential for PC gaming where most games are able to have their FOV changed, which i why i knew i wouldn't be happy with the HMZ-1 after trying it out.

@y8s: It seems a proper high FOV gaming HMD is a very "build it right, and they will come", sort of device. The Z800 came out when people were using 1600x1200, there was no way i was switching to that. I remember the Combasims.com review of it blew me away, yet there was just now way i was going back to 800x600. Seems to me that if you make an HMD with specs that don't compete, its just not going to catch on, but if you had an 80+ degree horizontal FOV and 1920x1080 at least, it could really succeed in the marketplace when everyone had nothing but praise for it. You could allow FOV adjustment when playing movies too. Anyway, hopefully OLED will bring about HMD with head tracking as light as a pair of sunglasses...

True story: A DARPA guy came up to our booth and asked if we could make the "pair of sunglasses HMD" with DARPA money. We said no because it's not possible. even with OLEDs. Unfortunately you still need optics to produce a virtual image at a viewable distance and optics requires some space and weight. And while you can get close, you'll always have some bulk. Some ingenious competitors of ours are getting there but stil don't have it down yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatingPie View Post

...(I think the eye crossing is what causes fatigue.)

With the HMZ-T1, however, you are dealing with tiny distances, so you are forced to cross your eyes a lot more to maintain focus on a "pop out" object. You quickly reach a point of diminished returns, and the negative parallax breaks down because you lose focus... you can only cross your eyes so much!

The focal distance is fixed in any flat image source display (TV, theatre, VR, etc). You MUST focus at that distance to see things clearly. Your brain and eyeballs work together to automatically adjust their focus and convergence (the angle of the triangle formed when your two eyes cross and look at something at a given distance).

A good HMD will place the convergence distance and focal distance within a very tight tolerance (ie focal distance of infinity, parallel optics--no convergence) to reduce eye fatigue.

The problem is that in order to see "3D", you have to focus at one distance while your eyes converge at another. Try it sometime. Just go up to a chain link fence and try to get the links to line up in the wrong place... you can do it but it's painful after a while. Or the bathroom tile while you're at a urinal. Or vertical blinds. Or a magic eye poster from days of yore. Whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbluemax1 View Post

The problem is that with no easy frame of reference (seats and people in a theater, objects in your HT/living room etc.) there is no frame of reference to popout. In my own room, when viewing 3D with popout, I'll usually sneak a quick glance at the room to see how far the image appears to be popping out of the screen. Is it popping out as far as my extended feet? Only as far as the center channel speaker? Somewhere in between etc?

With this display, there is no such frame of Reference, but if it's implemented well, as some folks have claimed, it should provide an incredible 3D experience that comes as close to simulating what you see in real life as can be duplicated with commercially available 3D displays these days. The image though, will have no frame of reference and the effect is going to be akin to what you see through a pair of ski goggles for instance. There is a real perception of 3D depth, you may not be seeing things that evidently pop OUT of the screen so to speak, although subjectively, they may appear to come very close to the viewer. How close though, is going to be entirely subjective.

That's also why estimates are all over the place as to whether it looks more like a 750" screen from the middle of a theater, or a 120" screen from 10 feet or a 2" screen from an inch away. People's opinions are subjective when they don't know how to obtain a frame of Reference, which is why I asked owner's to test the focal distance of the optics to compare how they focused on the image in comparison to focusing on something else in the room or outside a window.

Max

The "frame of reference" for someone wearing a 3D display like this is your innate sense of focus and convergence.

It is how you know the difference between image sizes at different distances. For example:

I sit in my living room with my laptop on my lap and my TV about 10 feet away, and out of a picture window I can see a neighbor projecting a large image on their garage door. From my seat, all three images are exactly the same size. That's angle of view. I know when I look at the laptop that it's a small display and that when I look at the projected image, it is large.

I know the sizes because my eyes have to change their focus and convergence to match the distance of the image.

With 3D generated from a flat image, you throw focus out of the equation BUT you can still *feel* the convergence changes.

If you close your eyes and hold your hand in front of you and pretend to look at your hand with your eyes closed, your eyes will focus and cross (converge) to about that location because you've spent your whole life doing it automatically and have built up muscle memory to that effect.

If you didn't automatically focus and cross your eyes at a given distance, most of the world you looked at would be blurry for a little while before you came into focus. You can simulate this by holding something up to your face fairly close, closing your eyes, moving the object, and then quickly opening your eyes. You'll get a brief double blurry image.
post #675 of 3382 Old 11-18-2011, 12:34 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
IMO, the two biggest things the Sony HMZ-T1 headset has going for it are its discrete-3D capability AND its 720P OLED picture technology.

Thought I would post here about the deep-deep-blacks produced that I didn't consciously think about until someone on another forum asked me about.

My comment was that the blacks are much deeper than other displays I've used, and I started to realize it explains a unique effect in the theatrical composition capability of this little gadget; In that when I'm viewing a 2.40:1 aspect ratio movie I am no longer noticing or missing the available "screen-area-real-estate" that would ALWAYS make me wish the movie was in the largest 1.78:1 ratio to fill the screen. i.e The black area going around the image is so-black it's like the solid-black-masking-material in my home theater and what also is used in most movie theaters; The effect works.
Shadow-detail is also the best I've seen on any device.

Paul

post #676 of 3382 Old 11-18-2011, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 267
y8s, yes, the disparity between focus and convergence is why many people get headaches/eyestrain from 3D. Naysayers cited it as one of the big reasons why 3D would NEVER succeed/become mainstream. Some folks are more negatively impacted by it than others, just as some folks get nauseous from watching folks play FPS games while others have no problems playing for hours.

As I cited in my little 'experiment' though, it appears most people get their distance cues from convergence. If they could get distance cues from focus, you could still accurately gauge distance/depth with only one eye.

In your example, if you have a frame of reference such as your computer monitor right in front of you, even if all the displays appear the same size, you can gauge the TV and projection screen's distances from the frame of reference and their relative positions and focal points.

Without a frame of reference though, distance/depth perception is much more subjective (as evidenced by all the different subjective opinions of just how big/far the image appears to be with this device, and the amount of error in folks trying to judge the distance of the balls in my 'experiment').

Max
post #677 of 3382 Old 11-18-2011, 02:30 PM

For guys in Canada, my credit card has a pending charge again.

Maybe it will ship this Monday, and not on the 25th.
post #678 of 3382 Old 11-18-2011, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbluemax1 View Post

y8s, yes, the disparity between focus and convergence is why many people get headaches/eyestrain from 3D. Naysayers cited it as one of the big reasons why 3D would NEVER succeed/become mainstream. Some folks are more negatively impacted by it than others, just as some folks get nauseous from watching folks play FPS games while others have no problems playing for hours.

As I cited in my little 'experiment' though, it appears most people get their distance cues from convergence. If they could get distance cues from focus, you could still accurately gauge distance/depth with only one eye.

In your example, if you have a frame of reference such as your computer monitor right in front of you, even if all the displays appear the same size, you can gauge the TV and projection screen's distances from the frame of reference and their relative positions and focal points.

Without a frame of reference though, distance/depth perception is much more subjective (as evidenced by all the different subjective opinions of just how big/far the image appears to be with this device, and the amount of error in folks trying to judge the distance of the balls in my 'experiment').

Max

Absolutely. To put it another way, in the real world, you can close one eye, and you won't go bumping into things, because your brain expects objects to be of a certain size. Knowing already the size of an apple, or the size of a computer, means that you can judge its distance with only one eye easily. People with one eye are still allowed to drive and surprisingly in some cases, fly a plane. Sometimes for novelty, in science museums or special events they intentionally create a chair larger than the table but positioned further away than the table which totally messes with your head and you struggle to make sense of it.

When you watch a film, size has little meaning. A zoom shot of an apple may mean that apple is effectively 2 feet across on the screen. So not only are we struggling with the disparity between focus and convergence, but the fact that the size of an object does not reflect its true-life size. All of this results in a very subjective viewing, for which some (but not all), may not get the expected (or hoped for) results with products like the HMZ-T1
post #679 of 3382 Old 11-18-2011, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul H View Post

think about until someone on another forum asked me about.

My comment was that the blacks are much deeper than other displays I've used, and I started to realize it explains a unique effect in the theatrical composition capability of this little gadget; In that when I'm viewing a 2.40:1 aspect ratio movie I am no longer noticing or missing the available "screen-area-real-estate" that would ALWAYS make me wish the movie was in the largest 1.78:1 ratio to fill the screen. i.e The black area going around the image is so-black it's like the solid-black-masking-material in my home theater and what also is used in most movie theaters; The effect works.
Shadow-detail is also the best I've seen on any device.

Paul

The deep blacks are critical in my opinion to aiding 3D and immersion. Having played with the Vuzix glasses where black is grey, the difference that makes (negatively) is huge.

The only concern I have with OLED is its longevity. All the pixels on these displays are white with a colour grid over the top. This means that all of the pixels will age/dim at the same rate over time. Original designs where each pixel was coloured with different organic matter had blue ageing much more quickly than the others resulting in skewed colour after a period of time.

However OLED in the past has suffered worse than plasmas for burn-in. This is because as certain pixels are illuminated more than others, they wear out, or dim more resulting in a permanent disparity with others. The usable life of an OLED pixel was supposedly less than a plasma. These are not problems with LCD.

So I am hoping these problems have now been solved with OLED otherwise those that play wipeout 2 hours everyday might get an unexpected shock the next time a full white screen is put up.

I am sure Sony must have realised this as its advertised for use with a PS3. OLED advancements are not that well known/understood because its still a fairly limited technology in terms of adoption.
post #680 of 3382 Old 11-18-2011, 03:35 PM

I had the Galaxy S when that first came out and that had an OLED screen and I never had an issues with burn-in but I certainly hope Sony got it right or else they are going to have a lot of these and PS Vita's going back.
post #681 of 3382 Old 11-18-2011, 04:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1st View Post

No matter what people think of the headphones, they are garbage.

Disagree.

Look, I have Sennheiser 650s, Sennheiser 600s, Sennheiser 580s, Grado RS-225s, and a lower-end pair of on-ear Sennheisers that are similar in design to the HMZ-T1 earphones. Not showing off, just offering my credentials!

These headphones are fine. No, not like Grados or Sennheiser 600s line at all. But they easily match the Sennheiser on-ears. And comparing to any earbud headphone I've tried would be laughable (iPod headphones, now that is garbage!).

One thing I noticed was that the processing modes can cause distortion. With Tron, "Cinema" mode gave me a ton of static. Garbage. But once I went to straight stereo sound, it cleared up.

-Pie

post #682 of 3382 Old 11-18-2011, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Disagree.

Look, I have Sennheiser 650s, Sennheiser 600s, Sennheiser 580s, Grado RS-225s, and a lower-end pair of on-ear Sennheisers that are similar in design to the HMZ-T1 earphones. Not showing off, just offering my credentials!

These headphones are fine. No, not like Grados or Sennheiser 600s line at all. But they easily match the Sennheiser on-ears. And comparing to any earbud headphone I've tried would be laughable (iPod headphones, now that is garbage!).

One thing I noticed was that the processing modes can cause distortion. With Tron, "Cinema" mode gave me a ton of static. Garbage. But once I went to straight stereo sound, it cleared up.

-Pie

Tron is a little unusual. I don't think it conforms to typical mastering levels for BDs and is recorded "hot". Combined with the immense bass heavy soundtrack and I am not surprised the surround and EQ processing modes can't cope. Have you noticed it with any other titles?
post #683 of 3382 Old 11-18-2011, 04:26 PM

Fixed is for you.

"No matter what people think of the headphones, My opinion is that they are garbage."

Any one tried any movies from vudu yet.. Some are bloody pricey to rent.

http://www.vudu.com/movies/#search/3d

He's hoping netflix gets into the scene sharpish.

post #684 of 3382 Old 11-18-2011, 04:40 PM

I was looking to update the gfx drivers on my M1730 to accomodate 3DTVPlay (I have 3dVision set, so it should activate for free). I downloaded 285.62 (but without the new 3DTVPlay update for HMZ-T1 - I didn't even know about it at that point) and tried to install the 3DTVPlay trial from the NVidia website. To my surprise it didn't install as it said my gfx card (2x8800m SLI) was not compatible. I had a trawl around and found someone asking about compatibility with a different card and the reply was the cards need hdmi 1.4a compatability so 3DTVPlay won't install if it isn't a 'supported' card. However, my machine has a DVI-D output, not HDMI, so theoretically should work.

Can anyone tell me how to get this to work? (And whether a machine with Quadro FX 3700M could be made to work too).

Thanks!
post #685 of 3382 Old 11-18-2011, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

Disagree.

-Pie

I've never owned any "good" headphones/IEM's, so maybe I shouldn't comment--but I also have issues with the ones on this unit. If what you say is true, and these are indeed comparable/representative of most "good" cans, maybe I would have issues with most other models too, I dunno. The problem for me isn't necessarily the frequency response, bass, balance or anything like that--it's simply that they sound somewhat muffled (for lack of a better term) and lack any sense of definition and clarity (cheap in other words). And yes, this includes having the surround modes turned off. It's like lower end budget speakers that lack the clarity to readily distinguish the difference between lossy and lossless tracks or codecs.
post #686 of 3382 Old 11-18-2011, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastyUK View Post

Fixed is for you.

"No matter what people think of the headphones, My opinion is that they are garbage."

It may be source dependent, but I think most would agree this sounds like garbage.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

post #687 of 3382 Old 11-18-2011, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSSer View Post

For guys in Canada, my credit card has a pending charge again.

Maybe it will ship this Monday, and not on the 25th.

after all the BS that would be nice.......I'm almost excited again.

I hope the global launch doesn't get moved to Jan this time

We should have been the ones to start the owners thread, as they arrived in Canada before any other country, but I guess they decided Canada wasn't good enough to get a product before the rest of the world.

Also, why is Neogaf so stupid that it doesn't allow yahoo, or hotmail accounts? There are way more Canadians there but I refuse to set up an email account with my ISP for just one damn forum.
post #688 of 3382 Old 11-18-2011, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conan48 View Post

after all the BS that would be nice.......I'm almost excited again.

I hope the global launch doesn't get moved to Jan this time

We should have been the ones to start the owners thread, as they arrived in Canada before any other country, but I guess they decided Canada wasn't good enough to get a product before the rest of the world.

Also, why is Neogaf so stupid that it doesn't allow yahoo, or hotmail accounts? There are way more Canadians there but I refuse to set up an email account with my ISP for just one damn forum.

There's no reason for another delay, they've been saying the 25th for weeks now. We'll see.

As for Neogaf, the restriction is to prevent spammers from registering with bogus email accounts.

Also, registering doesn't mean you get in directly. Your account has to be approved, which can take months. It took me about 8 months to be granted access. It's totally random though.
post #689 of 3382 Old 11-18-2011, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastyUK View Post

Fixed is for you.

Any one tried any movies from vudu yet.. Some are bloody pricey to rent.

http://www.vudu.com/movies/#search/3d

He's hoping netflix gets into the scene sharpish.

I agree. I rented Bolt from the PSN store for $5. I believe it downloads a copy to your drive; I noticed no streaming issues whatsoever. It looked and played great and I'm now going to try this Robinson's movie... Blu-Ray.com is giving it good props.

It's $5, which is pricey, for 24 hours. But I figure, it's a 1/3 of what I'd pay at the theater and in these glasses I'm at the theater, anyway. I can even pause it to get up and go to the bathroom (still no smoking while watching though, lol).
post #690 of 3382 Old 11-18-2011, 06:14 PM

Took a step back concerning virtual screen size (for Skyrim using HMZ-T1) - the former HEX 43 was too strenous, also it lenghtended many objects unnaturally, at elast with the convergence I like. After MUCH tinkering HEX 80 is very fine. Just had bees flying around in my private virtual HMZ-T1 cinema audience room, hehe... and the horse, oh my... not speaking of that dragon thingy of course... earthshattering, skytearing! Skyrim is soooo damn beautiful with the HMZ-T1. It's frickin unbelievable. Using standard FOV 65 (tried many different, wider ones, but they did not convince me) and 720p60 (butter fluid and sharp, all Antialiasing and Anisotrophe Filtering kicking in; 1080p24 is too much for my rig it seems, very choppy). Convergence set that in sneak close up to my char, frontal, her face slightly comes out of the convergence plane (ie into the auditorium).

Quote:

@Echo Off
@START /D "C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Steam\\SteamApps\\common\\skyrim" TESV.exe
@TIMEOUT 10
@REG ADD "HKLM\\Software\\Wow6432Node\\NVIDIA Corporation\\Global\\Stereo3D" /v MonitorSize /t REG_DWORD /d 80 /f

Reply 3D Displays

Tags
3d Hdtv

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page