Sony HMZ-T1 HMD Owner's dedicated thread - Page 25 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #721 of 3384 Old 11-20-2011, 02:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic-Viper View Post

I made it on Engadget

http://www.engadget.com/2011/11/19/s...upgrade-video/

Cool...did they pay you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 3384 Old 11-20-2011, 02:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post

There's no logical explanation why one earpeice would have noise yet the other side, which is identical and uses the same electronics, wouldn't. Have you tried flipping your source material, left for right, and then seen if the problem migrates over to the other ear?

Some display panels, including the electroluminescent display on my wristwatch, make a faint buzz noise when placed immediately close to the ear. Are you sure the display panels of the product aren't making the noise you hear? [and you just happen to be more cognizant of it from one side only?]

Oddly enough 2 generations of Vuzix glasses have suffered from buzzing in one ear (the opposite side to the Sony ones before you think maybe I suffer from "hearing things").

I suspect that its based on the routing of the wiring near the electronics for the panels which produce a certain amount of RF. It is definitely coming from the speaker. The left side is also the entry point for the signal coming from the control box.
post #723 of 3384 Old 11-20-2011, 02:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1st View Post

I heard the buzz when I had it in 1080p when I dropped it down to 720p it was gone. I like it in 720p anyways, 1080p gave me too much eye strain.

I will try that. At least I know it wasn't just my unit then. It is very slight though so hardly a big problem. As I mentioned in my last post, the Vuzix glasses produced buzzing on the right ear. Clearly mixing sound and visual electronics so close together is a challenge. In the case of the Vuzix though the issue is much more obvious.
post #724 of 3384 Old 11-20-2011, 06:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic-Viper View Post

I made it on Engadget

http://www.engadget.com/2011/11/19/s...upgrade-video/

Sweet!

You also made theVerge, which is the site that was developed when several of the better bloggers left Engadget 6 months ago.
http://www.theverge.com/2011/11/19/2...tracked-gaming
post #725 of 3384 Old 11-20-2011, 06:42 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by bravia3D View Post

As soon as I can get my greedy hands on one, my wife can sew up some cushion pads for each strap. Shes an amazing sewer and we had a company before making custom seat belt pads, car floor mats and other items. She can even embroider some custom writing on the pads
As soon as I get one of these and can get measurements perhaps I can sell custom pads she makes, wouldn't be hard for her to make them very nice. Possibly even a better head strap with a soft cushion as well.

And since I already own a site selling 3D movies, I could just sell her cushion pads on there also.

I'm on board with you brother cause honestly I can't use the HMD cause of the discomfort.

Please keep us posted.
post #726 of 3384 Old 11-20-2011, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samckaz View Post

I'm on board with you brother cause honestly I can't use the HMD cause of the discomfort.

Please keep us posted.

I'm definitely interested too. Good luck !
post #727 of 3384 Old 11-20-2011, 11:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Saw at Sony Store in Aurora IL. Very nice, although I probably won't be getting one. Definitely looks like being in a theater to me. Didn't have much of a problem with focus on the entire screen, but it was on a stand and I could see it being difficult to adjust on one's head.

Wish I could have seen something besides a repeating Alice in Wonderland clip.

Congrats to owners; looks like a fun gadget.
post #728 of 3384 Old 11-20-2011, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Well, I'm still having trouble getting my hands on one. Some are on auctions here in Japan but going for 100,000 yen or more which is around $1,500

If anyone here wants to sell theirs I will pay $1,000 for it and whatever shipping cost to Japan. I am dying to get my hands on one of these. But it has to be not used much or new with no scrapes or markings on it. Just drop me a PM on here!

Once I can finally get one, then my wife and I can design some new pads for the straps which will be more comfortable for people.

3D items I own:

Sony 46" LX900 active 3D set

Sony HMZ-T3 (Cushion pads and light blocker mod)

LG LW6500 passive 3D set

PS3 & PS4

Sony BDP-S570 BD3D player

JVC-GS-TD1 (with Cyclopital base extender)

Fujifilm W3

Sony Alpha 55 (for 3D panoramic photos)

Quadcopter + Zenmuse and GoPro Hero 3 (Filming...

post #729 of 3384 Old 11-20-2011, 05:09 PM

You know, in everybody's life there's that special moment. It only comes once and it rears its head for a one time decison only: take it or leave it. Jump the gun or cower. Today, I entered the Thunderdome, I became Mad Max and Mac Gyver in one, broke the boundaries of the moral constraints of our society and invented...

the ARSE-STRING!

After my beloved HMZ-T1's back head rubber band decided to fall apart (no, I did not shred it into pieces, the glue decided on its own free will to become loose and it peacefully, silently and with out violence left this world for a better one...) I walked the flame (Fire walk with me!), went to the drawing board, eye to eye with a thousand and one Sony engineers... and trumped them all!

A simple string chord now replaces that rubber band - it's not flexible, but there's no need to actually. A second string turns 90 degrees from it down right along my spine under my, you guessed it, arse and around my left thigh.

Besides the obvious intricacies of the placement of the device (I spare you the life like drawing Sony no doubt will include with V2.0 of the HMZ-T1; I will volunteer as that special body part model any time) it offers the benefit of reliability (no free willed glue) and extreme flexibility (adjust it on the fly by shifting weight or pulling the string tighter). It acts as the perfect counterweight on the backside of the head to balance the HMZ-T1 (and creates the pressure on the forehaed pad holder to prevent it from auto shutting down). No force or effort is required to keep it under tension... all you have to do is, you guessed again correctly, sit on your arse.

As if the nerd factor of a Geordie LaForge like Visor held by the arse string (TM, btw, you patent thieves, that you know it!) was not enough, I do no half-arsed effort and will present you with the full monty: Take the cheapest black plastic bag you find, stuff it with aluminium foil and wrap it around the HMZ-T1 with massive use of adhesive tape as if there's no tomorrow. Just leave enough space on the bottom side to squeeze your head somehow in. Gratz, yoú just created the all light blocking NERD-HOOD (TM), the ideal complementary friend of the ARSE-STRING.

Negotiations with Sony are right now pending, but I made them a two for one offer they simply cannot deny! If they don't accept the offer, I have threatened them with publishing pictures of me in my finest NERD-HOOD enthusiastically pulling the ARSE-STRING while wearing the HMZ-T1 - even their marketing practicants will understand that even truck loads of Harrods' models will not help to get this picture out off potential customers' heads.

No kidding, this wonder pimped device exists, lies right beside me and - indeed - grants the best visual quality ever (that is for me using it, not actually for the ones who see me using it - though even this might be debatable, I fear).

Sleep well, my fellow nerds.

Greetings from (under) da hood,

youngneil1
post #730 of 3384 Old 11-20-2011, 05:31 PM

Liked: 12
post #731 of 3384 Old 11-20-2011, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngneil1 View Post

the ARSE-STRING!

Pics... Oh wait.. maybe that's a bad request..
post #732 of 3384 Old 11-20-2011, 08:07 PM

Quote:

You know, in everybody's life there's that special moment. It only comes once and it rears its head for a one time decison only: take it or leave it. Jump the gun or cower. Today, I entered the Thunderdome, I became Mad Max and Mac Gyver in one, broke the boundaries of the moral constraints of our society and invented...

the ARSE-STRING!

After my beloved HMZ-T1's back head rubber band decided to fall apart (no, I did not shred it into pieces, the glue decided on its own free will to become loose and it peacefully, silently and with out violence left this world for a better one...) I walked the flame (Fire walk with me!), went to the drawing board, eye to eye with a thousand and one Sony engineers... and trumped them all!

A simple string chord now replaces that rubber band - it's not flexible, but there's no need to actually. A second string turns 90 degrees from it down right along my spine under my, you guessed it, arse and around my left thigh.

Besides the obvious intricacies of the placement of the device (I spare you the life like drawing Sony no doubt will include with V2.0 of the HMZ-T1; I will volunteer as that special body part model any time) it offers the benefit of reliability (no free willed glue) and extreme flexibility (adjust it on the fly by shifting weight or pulling the string tighter). It acts as the perfect counterweight on the backside of the head to balance the HMZ-T1 (and creates the pressure on the forehaed pad holder to prevent it from auto shutting down). No force or effort is required to keep it under tension... all you have to do is, you guessed again correctly, sit on your arse.

As if the nerd factor of a Geordie LaForge like Visor held by the arse string (TM, btw, you patent thieves, that you know it!) was not enough, I do no half-arsed effort and will present you with the full monty: Take the cheapest black plastic bag you find, stuff it with aluminium foil and wrap it around the HMZ-T1 with massive use of adhesive tape as if there's no tomorrow. Just leave enough space on the bottom side to squeeze your head somehow in. Gratz, yoú just created the all light blocking NERD-HOOD (TM), the ideal complementary friend of the ARSE-STRING.

Negotiations with Sony are right now pending, but I made them a two for one offer they simply cannot deny! If they don't accept the offer, I have threatened them with publishing pictures of me in my finest NERD-HOOD enthusiastically pulling the ARSE-STRING while wearing the HMZ-T1 - even their marketing practicants will understand that even truck loads of Harrods' models will not help to get this picture out off potential customers' heads.

No kidding, this wonder pimped device exists, lies right beside me and - indeed - grants the best visual quality ever (that is for me using it, not actually for the ones who see me using it - though even this might be debatable, I fear).

youngneil1

Pics
post #733 of 3384 Old 11-20-2011, 11:08 PM

Quote:

the ARSE-STRING!

youngneil1

HILARIOUS ! Pics or it didn't happen !
post #734 of 3384 Old 11-21-2011, 12:25 AM
AVS Special Member

That is to funny

Well, I am proud to say I shall be getting one tomorrow! I bought it off an auction (cost an arm, leg and well.. More) but hell, its gonna be worth it.

Once I get it in my wife and I can examine it and make some new cusions and pads for the straps. We already went out looking for some good fabric. I have a few ideas already but need the device to see if they work.

Just a few more days!

3D items I own:

LG LW6500 passive 3D set

PS3 & PS4

Fujifilm W3

post #735 of 3384 Old 11-21-2011, 01:13 AM
AVS Special Member

I am assuming the arse-string joke though originated due to a real failure of the glue between the hard and soft plastics on the rear strap? If so, that is a bit alarming that it failed so quickly and I hope is not a sign of things to come for others? It problem stems down to the stress when you take it on and off your head. You should always loosen the straps using the two push buttons on either side of the headset when you want to take the headset off.
post #736 of 3384 Old 11-21-2011, 03:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMPeters View Post

I live in Japan and Sony here has it back ordered until some time around March.

oh. I'm over in Japan for Christmas and was secretly hoping to get a look at these and possibly pick some up, as they are much cheaper than in the UK. Oh well.
post #737 of 3384 Old 11-21-2011, 04:27 AM

As with all brilliant geniuses ahead of their time it's just tragic - you guys don't take this seriously me thinks!

The ARSE-STRING and the NERD-HOOD are tomorrow's tech in our hands today . At least when assuming tomorrow will be after World War 3 and we will fight with sticks and stones again - cheers to Albert .

Alright - on a more serious note:

Yes, the glue came really off - probably indeed due to me not always unfastening the side holders when taking it on and off. And yes, the ARSE-STRING and the NERD-HOOD really exist(will do some pictures, sigh, poor Sony - this is bound to get nerd coverage, I fear).

But you know what - and no kidding here - it was actually the best thing that could have happened in terms of wearing comfort:

This stupid string I sit on holds it perfectly and without effort. The HMZ-T1 has a great picture quality (focus) and pressure is mostly off my nose - also my forhead will never have a red mark again. The main weight is carried by the ARSE-STRING (TM!) and my back head (the vertical ARSE-STRING pulls down the horizontal string, so a triangular shape is created that all naturally, due to the downward pull of the tightended ARSE-STRING is pressed against my backhead. Ah, relief for the nose and forehead. Very comfortable. And yes, thanks for asking, my arse is fine, too.

Also it's adjustable on the fly by shifting weight or pulling the string a little/more less tighter. Remember, it's held in place by my well trained (and shaped I might add) arse muscles (alright, and simply my weight alone ). The process of fitting the HMZ-T1 over the head when taking it on is also much better now as it's simple put on like giant glasses and that's it - just push it frontally on the eyes (no more rubber-band-snatching-back-head-hurting-hair-out-pulling-release-mechanism-using-wiggle-into-me-damn!-light blends-fell-off-again! stuff...).

NERD-HOOD (TM - I take no prisoners when enforcing that!) is actually a little more sophisticated than just a simple plastic bag over the head (you would sweat too much with such and also it would make breathing rather hard I guess). We are talking the real stuff here: Homegrown, hand-cut and jigsaw puzzle pieced to cover what's neccessary - and not more. The clue here are the flexible extensions of the now glued light block pads -the bag is so flexible and strong at the same time that I can make the extensions rest on my cheek bones. The light block pads themselves are are too small to get the job done - at least at the neccessary distance I need to wear the HMZ-T1 away from my eyes to get best focus.

Harf - and who is laughing his arse off now ? Well, Sony is not, gulp, or are they? But hey, actually I paid 800 Euro and I think this humoristic approach actually merits me being good natured and might indeed set them right on track for a better wearing solution for V2. The HMZ-T1 itself is the best investment I have made in years (No kidding! It's worth every damn Euro and I applaud Sony for making it!) - otherwise I wouldn't go the tinkering extra length, would I?

Wait till you see pictures, Sony engineers. Oh, will you wonder, you will!
post #738 of 3384 Old 11-21-2011, 05:31 AM

Production values hard to beat:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=433v0Rms8T0
post #739 of 3384 Old 11-21-2011, 05:45 AM

What did you use to record the Arse String video? A first gen flip phone? Cause the quality is ****e, with all due respect.
post #740 of 3384 Old 11-21-2011, 05:53 AM

Hehe, not that it was intended to be seen on the IMAX .

Some pics on megaupload:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=8XDP72TL
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=4M0XZE9U
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=0H9H2HVL
post #741 of 3384 Old 11-21-2011, 05:55 AM

^^^ rofl :-)
post #742 of 3384 Old 11-21-2011, 06:28 AM

Today is my estimated ship date, hopefully I see some kind of update.
post #743 of 3384 Old 11-21-2011, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, the glue came really off - probably indeed due to me not always unfastening the side holders when taking it on and off. And yes, the ARSE-STRING and the NERD-HOOD really exist(will do some pictures, sigh, poor Sony - this is bound to get nerd coverage, I fear).

I know you have your wonderful new invention, but "could" you have fixed it yourself with suitable glue if you had wanted to, or is too deformed or difficult to reattach?
post #744 of 3384 Old 11-21-2011, 07:09 AM

It's not reformed and might be glued. Actually though I wouldn't trust that to last long, but this is just a subjective impression. There must have been some kind of glue before I guess - it's not torn or something, it seems as both ends still fit together as made for each other. Nonetheless, it looks and feels rather feeble.
post #745 of 3384 Old 11-21-2011, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's not reformed and might be glued. Actually though I wouldn't trust that to last long, but this is just a subjective impression. There must have been some kind of glue before I guess - it's not torn or something, it seems as both ends still fit together as made for each other. Nonetheless, it looks and feels rather feeble.

Sounds to me like not enough glue was used at the factory which is why it broke combined with you removing the headset without loosening the straps.

I downloaded a couple of your images, and couldn't quite work out what I was looking at! I think its to do with the resolution of the images. Were you using a phone camera?
post #746 of 3384 Old 11-21-2011, 08:40 AM

Ok, ok - a camera man I won't become. Yes, it's a low quality web cam from my netbook. Anyhow, it's really simple - I phrased it rather straightforward at the 3D Vision forum:

Quote:

Two more tips for the HMZ-T1:

1. Cover it with some plastic/cloth and adhesive tape to block as much rest light out as you can - this immensely enhances the picture and immersion (unless you play in a pitch black room anyway)

2. To get weight from your nose and forehead try attaching a horizontal string on the hinges of the backhead plastic band (at the sides, where the plastic hinges are the most robust). Attach to that horizontal string a second vertical string - when you pull this downward a triangular shape is created. Sit on this vertical string and pull it tight, keeping it held with just your weight. With these strings you can - after some short training - keep the device help in place with much more comfort and less pressure on your head.

post #747 of 3384 Old 11-21-2011, 09:51 AM

Quote:

Ok, ok - a camera man I won't become. Yes, it's a low quality web cam from my netbook. Anyhow, it's really simple - I phrased it rather straightforward at the 3D Vision forum:

Thanks for the explanations and the video !

I think we'd all appreciate it if you had some higher resolution pics to share
post #748 of 3384 Old 11-21-2011, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

First thing I plan doing when I get mine soon is to check if its possible just to make new higher quality straps.

3D items I own:

LG LW6500 passive 3D set

PS3 & PS4

Fujifilm W3

post #749 of 3384 Old 11-21-2011, 02:58 PM

SonyStyle Canada has finally shipped mines. Time to join you guys.
post #750 of 3384 Old 11-21-2011, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravia3D View Post

First thing I plan doing when I get mine soon is to check if its possible just to make new higher quality straps.

It really needs to spread the surface area for the front pad. at the moment it's like a point load. if any of the plastic around the brow or the pad rest on your head it can be a little fatiguing. If the pad could be structurally loaded over most of your head it would a far better. I don't think anything but softening up the rear straps is required. Be interesting to see what you think and come up with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Displays

Tags
3d Hdtv