Sony HMZ-T1 HMD Owner's dedicated thread - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 3382 Old 11-23-2011, 02:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just ordered one today (Canada). The Sony guy on the phone told me that Canada is getting another 50 in over the next few days, 14 of them had been preordered and were spoken for.

The one thing he did tell me that I found strange is that he heard that after this batch, there will be no more coming in and that a newer model will be released next year around October made more for gaming (head tracking).

I don't know the validity of his statement but I found it interesting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 3382 Old 11-23-2011, 02:52 PM

Quote:

Firstly are your rear straps right down the back of your skull. The back of our skulls stick out. The lower rear strap should be below the back of the skull where it indents. The upper rear strap should be on the corner of the back of your skull, just above where the skull sticks out. If you position these correctly and tighten them correctly, it will take some of the weight away from your forehead. Unfortunately the correct position where things are in focus will for most people put pressure (not weight) on the nose. Using a deeper forehead pad will reduce or remove pressure on the nose at the expense of focus. I assume you have adjusted the inter-ocular spacing as good as you can. Apart from that, a thinner forehead pad, and make sure the glasses sit horizontally and not angled, and positioned low enough down your face, are all you can do. This won't suit everyones headshape and eye spacing unfortunately

I can achieve great focus in the middle and about 90% into the corners. I cannot get the whole screen perfect. If I get one side perfect, the other may be a little out. But that is primarily because I have to use the middle forehead pad otherwise the pressure on my nose is too great. But I am not trying to write a word document, but watch movies and play games. During those activities I really do not notice any problems.

Removing the nose padding as well as using it without any forehead cushion helped me greatly. Also that custom installed rubber band keeping the forehead pad pressed all the time, so I didn't have to concentrate on that also. For longe ruse the arse-string is very comfortable. Also ym replacment string for the broken bakc headrubberband works great (it'S knotted in way that I can pull it as tight as needed).

Btw I am using it now (as Vic-Viper and Easty) with the TrackIR 5. Oh wow, this gets surreal.I think I live in Skyrim now . Which TrackIR 5 settings do you guys you with the HMZ-T1 for Sykrim (I try right now a one to one with 2x speed and no smoothing).
post #813 of 3382 Old 11-23-2011, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngneil1 View Post

Removing the nose padding as well as using it without any forehead cushion helped me greatly.

Btw I am using it now (as Vic-Viper and Easty) with the TrackIR 5. Oh wow, this gets surreal.I think I live in Skyrim now .

Try a game like Arma 2 that really supports TrackIR.

It's free here. http://www.arma2.com/free

Although doesn't support 3d. its very cool

Mouse emulation mode is aweful in comparison.
post #814 of 3382 Old 11-23-2011, 03:03 PM

I will later on . I like even mouse emulation a lot - it's the little subconscious looks and the increased head bobbing that add up immensely. I steer via mouse as usal but sometimes as subconscious reflex my look follow a bird - and so does my ingame view. Amazing.
post #815 of 3382 Old 11-23-2011, 03:33 PM

Quote:

I try right now a one to one with 2x speed and no smoothing.

Little update on that: one to one, 2x speed and smoothing at 1. Runs fluid and feels like natural looking -center aligment has to fit though. I am slowly getting the hang on this. It's the perfect complementary gadget for the HMZ-T1.
post #816 of 3382 Old 11-23-2011, 03:57 PM

TT 3D: Closer to the EDge.

this is a must see in 3D if you like bikes..

I couldn't see it for sale anywhere in the US if you from over here. I ordered it from Amazon UK for about $24 all in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QldZiR9eQ_0

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TT3D-Closer-...9S/ref=lh_ni_t

post #817 of 3382 Old 11-23-2011, 04:03 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by miahallen View Post

I'm also in the pre-order boat. I ordered from www.abt.com on Oct. 3rd and they originally said they would ship on Oct 11th. They've since pushed back and are currently reporting "Launch Date ETA- Late November or Early December 2011"...I'll post back after I get more info.

FYI - I have a US mailing address thanks to the US military (APO/FPO), ABT supports shipping to APO/FPO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orta View Post

Sorry to say, but if Amazon or Best Buy couldn't procure any stock, I'd guess there is next to zero chance ABT will be able to. It doesn't seem like Amazon would have canceled their undated preorders if Sony had any possibility of making Nov/Dec shipments to third parties.

Good news, abt is shipping my package today!!! woot!
post #818 of 3382 Old 11-23-2011, 04:34 PM

with it backordered and rumors...

why do i feel like im back in time in line with scalpers waiting on a ps3 or 360 or wii LOL

sigh *rolls eyes* sad thing is i was friends with a sony listens team rep on facebook back when i had to get my failed optical block tv replaced after sony finally did the right thing with the optical blocks...

i saw him post about these on facebook back when i was dealing with the tv exchange process... i saw him post about these and when theyd be going on pre-order i thought bah big whoop i dismissed them quick....

then it kinda conjured up in my mind somehow and then i thought back to how much i liked my Olympus eye-trek fmd250ws HMD man i miss em.... lol..

now i want these and some 3d!!!! go figure... i might just mull it over suck it up and deal with fleabay and a couple more hundos! sigh

guess i mine aswell get em now instead of waiting..... treat myself before the nwo/reptiles whatever ROFL 2012 i guess in a year or less so it wont matter anyways lolol
post #819 of 3382 Old 11-23-2011, 05:35 PM

I got mine today and have tried it for the past 2-3 hours, so here are my impressions.

First things first, this is really uncomfortable to wear... seriously. I'm Asian too, so throw out that theory that it was made for Asian head sizes. I've tried all 3 pads, with top axis and bottom axis, and it is a total bitch to wear this.... sitting up.

That's right, the solution to this uncomfortable thing is to wear it in bed. I don't even really need to tighten the straps too. I lay down on my back, resting my head on my pillow. It's the perfect solution for me.

For the eye optics, I push it all the way in besides one notch. The corners aren't blurry for me too. As for size, it feels big enough. I don't think it's 150+, but it's around 80-100 inches or so. I've been gaming on my 24' monitor this gen so something like this is a big increase for me. It does look like you're looking through some goggles. It does look like part of my ps3 screen was cut off a bit in GT5 too, so I'm losing some pixels in 1080p mode.

I'm no videophile or audiophile too. I missed my chance on buying a kuro, so I don't know how blacks their blacks really are. This is good enough for me though, and I haven't tried out the setting options. I've only been playing in vivid mode so far. As for sound, it's okay. I don't even want to test for pixel issues, because ignorance is bliss.

Oh yeah, I wear both contacts and glasses, and both weren't an issue for me, although I'm probably going to use glasses to play with it.

I've only tried GT5 and Super Stardust HD in 3D. I usually get motion sickness playing shooters, and for some reason, GT5 made me queezy. I had my display settings set to 10 inches too. I'm pretty sure everyone knows GT5's 3D effect is subtle. Super Stardust's 3d effect was nice, and that's supposedly the best gaming source material to use. I'd agree with everyone saying that this is the best implementation of 3d out there. I've tried the active shutter glasses with a bravia tv, and it made me dizzy after a few minutes. It's better than the real 3d (?) I see at theaters too, because I'm not fighting it for keeping my eyes in focus.

At first I regretted my purchase, because it was really uncomfortable, but the honeymoon has begun now that we're in bed together.
post #820 of 3382 Old 11-23-2011, 06:58 PM

Liked: 11
lol nice now waiting for my order as it still in backorder status on B&H Photo website which i order from.
post #821 of 3382 Old 11-23-2011, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlittlejeans View Post

finnk - if you feel like selling, i'll take yours off your hand. I have one ordered at the Sony Store but am not sure when they'll get one in stock for me and can easily cancel the order.

If you were in BC, I might be tempted. Amidst rumors of this thing becoming a museum rarity, it's tipping me towards keeping it.

Also, I'm kind of crazy about HMDs. In University, I was creating Sony HMDs for virtual reality projects using PSOne LCDs and motorcycle helmets, so this is sort of like me looking 7 years back and getting all fuzzy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonStatt View Post

As for the shimmering...I don't see any shimmering. Could you describe more about how to replicate this?

I didn't notice it until my brother pointed it out (who is really 10x more anal about picture fidelity). I suspect that (especially in really bright scenes), you can perceive surface imperfections in the OLEDs and since they're different in each screen, it creates a shimmering effect. Not talking about dead pixels or anything. I will try looking at it in 2D later on to see if that's what's going on.
post #822 of 3382 Old 11-24-2011, 12:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSSer View Post

I usually get motion sickness playing shooters, and for some reason, GT5 made me queezy.

My guess is that the poor framerate is what did it.

With shooters, the main causes of motion sickness are
  1. Low FOV: most console shooters are in the 50-65 range for FOV, whereas most PC shooters are 80-100.
  2. Low framerates. Most console games are 30fps at best whereas with a decent PC, everything will be 60fps, giving you smooth motion.

Quote:

I had my display settings set to 10 inches too. I'm pretty sure everyone knows GT5's 3D effect is subtle.

GT5's 3D is only subtle at the default settings. It's at the minimum depth and convergence by default.

Set Parallax to 10 and turn up the convergence. It's been a long time since I played, but I think something like 0.75 in-car or 0.90 outside the car is what worked well for me, giving a little pop out but only for things like smoke and grass kicked up.

As someone without one of these, how are PC-folk setting convergence? With my HDTV, what I would do is take the glasses off and set the convergence that way. (you can see where the two images overlap easily)
Obviously with the HMZ-T1 having a separate screen for each eye, you can't do that any more.
post #823 of 3382 Old 11-24-2011, 12:34 AM

Quote:

I've only tried GT5 and Super Stardust HD in 3D. I usually get motion sickness playing shooters, and for some reason, GT5 made me queezy. I had my display settings set to 10 inches too. I'm pretty sure everyone knows GT5's 3D effect is subtle. Super Stardust's 3d effect was nice, and that's supposedly the best gaming source material to use. I'd agree with everyone saying that this is the best implementation of 3d out there. I've tried the active shutter glasses with a bravia tv, and it made me dizzy after a few minutes. It's better than the real 3d (?) I see at theaters too, because I'm not fighting it for keeping my eyes in focus.

At first I regretted my purchase, because it was really uncomfortable, but the honeymoon has begun now that we're in bed together.

At first I thought the 3D was subtle too compared to games like Motorstorm. You have to go into the settings inside GT5 and jack up the convergence and parallax numbers. I think I have them both set to 9. The defaults are 0 and 3. Then the 3D world opens up considerably. The cockpit views are gorgeous. And bumber cam feels like you are just inches off the Tarmac. Also try some night driving. With the inky blacks and great contrast you can actually see where you are going. I couldn't see anything on my pt-ae4000u. Now night time driving is possible. And as uncomfortable as this unit is, it almost feels like you are wearing a racing helmet. So +1 for the immersion factor haha! Gotta look on the bright side right
post #824 of 3382 Old 11-24-2011, 01:36 AM

Liked: 11
so guy what the best software to play 3d bluray movie on pc using this sony hmz-t1? PowerDVD?

Thanks
post #825 of 3382 Old 11-24-2011, 02:28 AM

Liked: 12
so any idea which website would be the best place to Pre Order from, and hopefully get it the soonest? I see one person ordered on Oct 24, and his just shipped....but that might just have been an exception.

I have a Sony Style store (SF Bay Area) that is about 30mins from me. Do they accept pre-orders as well? I'll try to call tomorrow, but they might be close so if anyone knows I'd appreciate the info.

I'm trying to hold out from playing any new 3d games til I get one of these.
post #826 of 3382 Old 11-24-2011, 02:58 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRayCharlie View Post

The one thing he did tell me that I found strange is that he heard that after this batch, there will be no more coming in and that a newer model will be released next year around October made more for gaming (head tracking).

post #827 of 3382 Old 11-24-2011, 03:12 AM

Alright, I'll make sure to try GT5 again with different parallax/convergence numbers.
post #828 of 3382 Old 11-24-2011, 04:10 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by squall12 View Post

so guy what the best software to play 3d bluray movie on pc using this sony hmz-t1? PowerDVD?

Thanks

for 3d bluray PowerDVD is the best and for other 3d format nvidia 3d vision video player
post #829 of 3382 Old 11-24-2011, 04:41 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:

I've only tried GT5 and Super Stardust HD in 3D. I usually get motion sickness playing shooters, and for some reason, GT5 made me queezy. I had my display settings set to 10 inches too. I'm pretty sure everyone knows GT5's 3D effect is subtle.

A little of topic but for GT5 adjust in game 3d settings to : parallax 9, convergence 8.3 and then tell me the effect is subtle I just got into 3d and this game is so immersive on a projector I can only imagine on the HMZ, lucky you.

Edit: apologies for restating what others had already suggested I replied before getting to the next page Have fun.
post #830 of 3382 Old 11-24-2011, 06:28 AM

Just got this reply from my local Sony Centre in the UK after chasing them up on my order.

We have just received an update on the current stock situation. There are

· 50 units expected to arrive on 28th November (air shipped, so allow 2 days for turnaround)

· 90 units expected to arrive on 7th December (air shipped, so allow 2 days for turnaround)

This will allow them to fulfil all current pre-orders with one of these shipments. Unfortunately I can’t get them to confirm which batch your particular order will be fulfilled in but they are guaranteeing before Christmas. This is all the stock that is available for the UK and they can’t foresee when they will get more for new customers. I hope this helps,
post #831 of 3382 Old 11-24-2011, 06:58 AM

Thanks for that. Pretty much what I was told about getting your pre-order in time for Xmas.
post #832 of 3382 Old 11-24-2011, 07:54 AM

Ohh should get mine 21-dec (sweden).
have pre-ordered a pair at 15-nov.

Some dude allready got his when pre-ordered 22-sep and got these 16 nov... lucky guy.

Europe is always so late with everything
post #833 of 3382 Old 11-24-2011, 08:02 AM

I received mine Yesterday as the Sony shop called me thatb they arrived earlier. They first told me that the shippment should be at the 5.12.

I tested Yesterday a few hours with my PS3 Games and BluRay 3D and mkv SbS movies.

I have in the same room my Panasonic 46VT20 TV and my old Sony VPL40HW Beamer and from my viewing the screen size was like my 2,4m beamer picture.

From playing Killzone 3D and Resistance 3 3D I had motion sickness when standing as my brain thought I was walking / running but I stood on the same place. After sitting in a chair this feeleing was gone and the imersion into the game was breathtaking.

For movies I can only say, I never saw a better picture than with the HMZ.

The only point is that the entire weight is on my nose as I have the best focus this way and after 1 hour I feel the pain. I have to check this evening if I can modify the weight away from my nose to the entire head.
post #834 of 3382 Old 11-24-2011, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blumenkind View Post

I received mine Yesterday as the Sony shop called me thatb they arrived earlier. They first told me that the shippment should be at the 5.12.

I tested Yesterday a few hours with my PS3 Games and BluRay 3D and mkv SbS movies.

I have in the same room my Panasonic 46VT20 TV and my old Sony VPL40HW Beamer and from my viewing the screen size was like my 2,4m beamer picture.

From playing Killzone 3D and Resistance 3 3D I had motion sickness when standing as my brain thought I was walking / running but I stood on the same place. After sitting in a chair this feeleing was gone and the imersion into the game was breathtaking.

The only point is that the entire weight is on my nose as I have the best focus this way and after 1 hour I feel the pain. I have to check this evening if I can modify the weight away from my nose to the entire head.

It isn't normally the weight on your nose, but the fact that it presses on your nose as the shape of the headset is such that it doesn't have enough clearance for taller noses. Using a thicker forehead pad will help, but almost certainly affect your edge focus.
post #835 of 3382 Old 11-24-2011, 08:51 AM

Quote:

When did you order them ?
i guess you live in the states ?
post #836 of 3382 Old 11-24-2011, 09:48 AM

Quote:

I tested Yesterday a few hours with mkv SbS movies.

Can you talk about those a bit more? What was image quality like? And the 3d effect?
post #837 of 3382 Old 11-24-2011, 10:43 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRayCharlie View Post

Just ordered one today (Canada). The Sony guy on the phone told me that Canada is getting another 50 in over the next few days, 14 of them had been preordered and were spoken for.

I don't know the validity of his statement but I found it interesting.

Did you talk to a guy at a Sony Store or the number from the website? I ordered at the store yesterday and it let me order. I called the number on the website today and they said they can't even place a preorder.

Where in Canada?

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

post #838 of 3382 Old 11-24-2011, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I got some bad news wrt my theater re-construction (water damage) that will have it out of commission an extra week or two so I called the Sony Style store in town to see if they had any and turns out they had just gotten 5 in last night. Picked one up, brought it home got it adjusted right and watched a few movies on cable on demand briefly before firing up Drive Angry.

By the end of the movie my nose hurt (I wear glasses and will try with a different pair today) but otherwise the experience was enjoyable. Screen size was on par with my 120" screen at 10 or 12 feet. Maybe a little smaller but it definitely felt closer to watching a big screen than watching something jammed in your face.

3D was ok. To be honest it was at least as good as anything I've seen in the theater during the current revival but I haven't been blown away yet.

Sound quality definitely left something to be desired and apparently my son came downstairs looking for me and I didn't hear him which would never happen in the theater.

All in all this is a nice supplement for viewing my 3D collection and the stuff offered through cable and video games but definitely not a full time replacement for a real home theater.

But for the next 3 or 4 weeks this thing is a godsend
post #839 of 3382 Old 11-24-2011, 12:17 PM

I am actually new to this board, but I have attentively read this and also other threads here at AVS, in order to facilitate my purchase decision on this device.

Considering the predominantly positive reactions, except regarding wearing comfort, I decided to order one HMZ-T1 from the Sony store for Austria, excatly one month ago. It has surprisingly been delivered yesterday, even though Sony proclaimed its availability not until mid-december. But it arrived already, whereas not even a few Japanese people seem to have got theirs yet (Isn't Sony a Japanese company!? )

I actually have been happy as a lark, full of pleasant anticipation and consistently observing the package tracking database until I could re-enact my own personal unboxing experience, as a few seemingly happy owners have already done before.

After impatiently exercised content revelation, I was verifying possible connectivity options to my Samsung BluRay 3D player and my PC (Nvidia 3D play) attached at my Samsung PS63C7790 3D TV through a 15m long DVI-to-HDMI cable.

First I thought, that it would be wise postponing experiments with Nvidia 3D play and rather checking how the HMZ-T1 is functioning with a HDMI 1.4a standard device such as my Samsung BluRay player represents. After supplying the device with power, I directly connected it to the player using a 3m HDMI cable and pressed the power button at the HMZ-T1. Afterwards, I inserted the BluRay "IMAX Grand Canyon Adventure", that has already proven its 3D-effectiveness on my Samsung TV.

So far, so good.

Then the big moment of the first experience approached and I tried to immerse myself into the allegedly incomparable 3D visualization of this device. I pulled it on, or at least I tried to, but the HMZ-T1 is not particularly a device that is easily "attachable" and reports about its incommodiousness have not entirely been exaggerated ^^. I actually was shocked about the weight and disbalance between the rear and front side.

There are 3 forehead cushions delivered with the HMZ-T1 and two possible mounting options (upper/lower) for them as well as two straps (one made of rubber) that are supposed to guarantee sufficient mounting. I was trying to adjust it for nearly 20 minutes, and tried all possible combinations, but could not find any convenient position preserving consistent picture sharpness. It appears that the device has rather been dimensioned for Asian people having flatter noses rather than most Europeans, especially giants like myself . However, I tried to endure the discomfort, hoping for a solution in the not too distant future and rather tried to focus on the HMZ-T1's technical facts.

That proved to be difficult as well, because during the initializing process, the device passed through an adjustment program in order to get a clear and well-adjusted image. I noticed that despite being myopic, I could read the text acceptably, which is odd because I am usually not able to read a text that size at Sony's proclaimed distance of about 20m viewing a 750" screen, so I assume that either the numbers are inaccurate or the perception of viewing distance and size is strongly subjective. Nonetheless, it is scientifically interesting that it is possible to sufficiently focus at those small optically magnified OLED-displays without wearing eye-glasses. I tried to use my glasses anyway and after accomplishing the adjustment program I could devote myself to configuring certain settings and preferences.

The first matter I noticed was that the sound was terrible, tinny and "pipe-like", so I deactivated the surround sound, adjusted the bass and treble, and surprise, surprise, the earphones are capable of producing pleasant sound. I really do not understand why one would like this artificially created surround sound that cannot be a replacement for true surround loudspeakers in combination with a surround hi-fi system. Therefore I do not see the point in enabling this option.

Thereafter, I noticed halo-like effects at the edges of the HMZ-T1's eyelets, that have been quite annoying. At this time I did not attach the light blockers yet, because I had huge troubles to mount them without knocking them down with my glasses again. As a wearer of glasses, it is quite difficult to use these light blockers, perhaps it had been better if they would have fixed them permanently. Somehow I managed to attach them anyway and so I could finally focus on the movie, even though the halo-effect did not disappear entirely (perhaps there will be a tinkerer's solution for this soon!?). I used my BluRay player's remote control but then I noticed, that the HMZ-T1 itself is capable of using the HDMI protocol to control basic player functions (that actually is quite useful )

I skipped a few chapters in order to watch the water rafting scenes, actually the most impressive and immersive scenes in the movie, and was really impressed with the 3D visualization of this device. There is absolutely no crosstalk/ghosting effect (what a surprise ^^), as opposed to my Samsung PS63C7790 and the "deepness" and "plasticity" is astonishing. The color accuracy and gradation and especially the black levels are amazing and I tought my Samsung plasma TV is capbable of producing reasonable image quality, but this OLED technology definitely surpasses current TV display technologies.

There have been a few scenes in that movie, that provided a huge depth of field and I was tempted to stare into the virtual distance. Anyway, by doing so, I also noticed a major disadvantage of the HMZ-T1, it has "just" a 720p displays.

Fine details that are clearly visible at my 1080p TV are rather coarse now, however a higher resolution combined with better video material in prospective HMDs could really create an almost holographic effect, which is making me hopefully looking forward to better devices in the future, that are lighter and much more convenient.

After those movie experiences, I was eager to test the HMZ-T1's VR-capabilities and so I attached it to my PC using the already mentioned 15m long DVI-to-HDMI cable. A few days ago, I updated Nvidia's Stereo drivers and so the device could have easily been detected, even though massive image noise and artefacts appeared on the HMZ-T1's screen, that do not appear on my TV. I assume that the device is more sensitive for such kind of interferences than my TV, especially using 1080p60, which requires more bandwidth and a better error correction. Enabling the noise-filter actually helped a bit, but I assume a better and shorter cable is more recommendable. Additionally, I activated "Sound via DVI/HDMI", that I could easily adjust in Nvidia's control panel.

I do not have many games yet, but I really love to watch 3D-demos, such as 64k intros or tech demos etc.

The first demo I tested was "fr-072 Aeon5" (hxxp://farb-rausch.de/prod&which=174.py), a demo that looks already quite impressive at my Samsung TV, even though it occasionally suffers from crosstalk/ghosting effects. Not so here! That has been the first time that I could watch the demo without those adverse effects and after increasing the depth amount to 100%, it was amazed about the depth of field that can be produced by this device, which is barely beatable.

More demos can be found here:
hxxp://farb-rausch.de
hxxp://www.scene.org
hxxp://www.4players.de/4sceners.php

Conclusion:

I have not yet decided, whether I will be keeping this device (actually plaything), or selling it at ebay, since I still have not found any practical solution to increase the inconvenience level to something that is at least bearable for a few minutes.

positive:

+ OLED technology
+ great colors
+ great black levels
+ no gosting/crosstalk (actually the only way of enjoying 3D content)
+ fast response time
+ using the HDMI protocol to control BluRay players etc.
+ 720p (rather high resolution in comparison to other HMDs)

negative:

- unwearable!!! (the biggest problem of this device!)
- far too heavy (design could be less "La Forge-like", even though I like Star Trek )
- halo effects
- eyes could be closer to the eyelets (the "field glass look" is a bit annoying, but one gets used to it after a while)
- light blockers are a problem for wearer of glasses

nice to have:
- firmware could be more elaborated
- no motionflow

The HMZ-T1 still looks like a prototyp, but I hope Sony or other manufacturers are already developing newer devices, that are finally wearable.

My personal wish list for a prospective HMD:

* as light as possible (damn gravitation )
* easily attachable/changable
* convenient
* OLED/AMOLED displays, bigger than 0.7" (that should reduce the weight due to less magnification/optics etc. and increasing FOV)
* 1080p or more
* no halo-effects
* fixed light blockers or a better solution
* motionflow processing
* a better firmware, more possibilities (e.g. switching images in SBS 3D etc.)
* perhaps more FOV, or at least closer distances to the displays

I would be willing to spend 2000-3000€ for such a perfect device, even though I rather hope that it will be cheaper ^^

In the end, I hope that I can find a solution for my troubles with the HMZ-T1, perhaps some resourceful tinkerers here can suggest a few proposals that are practical and do not look excessively awkward

(Sorry for any possible incomprehensibleness, I am not a native speaker)
post #840 of 3382 Old 11-24-2011, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Mine will finally get here today, it was coming from North Japan so it took quite some time.

Once I get it I will test it out, fool around with it and then my wife and I shall design some more comfortable straps and cushions to make it better.

3D items I own:

Sony 46" LX900 active 3D set

Sony HMZ-T3 (Cushion pads and light blocker mod)

LG LW6500 passive 3D set

PS3 & PS4

Sony BDP-S570 BD3D player

JVC-GS-TD1 (with Cyclopital base extender)

Fujifilm W3

Sony Alpha 55 (for 3D panoramic photos)

Quadcopter + Zenmuse and GoPro Hero 3 (Filming...

Reply 3D Displays

Tags
3d Hdtv

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page