Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 3382 Old 11-09-2011, 03:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBob1971 View Post

I'm really interested too in how the 3D depth changes with source, and whether it is out of or into the screen. (I own an nVidia 3d vision set and this can be altered). C'mon VicViper, keep up the good work!

I was really impressed with the set when I played with it a couple of times, but was less impressed with how far into the screen the picture went, as well as how far out it popped, but I only watched a bit of 'Rapunzel' (or something) the cartoon they were showing and a bog standard Sony 3D demo disc. I was still more than impressed enough to want one immediately though, and for 2D not just 3D! I'm guessing it'll really come into its own for gaming, when parameters can really be configured.

I will be testing this with 3D Vision from nVidia tonight as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 3382 Old 11-09-2011, 04:13 PM

My reaction so far... Amazing.. The brightness of the 3d is what I am most impressed with. I have an 82 inch Mitsubishi and a 27 inch acer with nvidia glasses that I am comparing it to. It blows away both the Nvidia glasses and the mitsubishi in clarity and brightness and color. ghosting is nonissue on mits dlp but it definitely runs rings around my acer.

At first I had trouble getting focus with my glasses but when I pulled out a pair which has a larger lens and less bifocal gradient it was great. Still a little touchy as to positioning on my head to have both eyes in good focus. Other than that I may have trouble watching 3d even on my 82 inch mits after this.

The pass through from my onkyo tx-sr608 to the tv works great so everything coming in to my onkyo should be viewable on the Sony. Audio can be played either on my 5.1 speakers attached to my onkyo or just on the Sony headphone 5.1 speakers which aren't all that bad.

Ok enough reporting have to try Xbox, ps3 and maybe Nvidia when they get their 3dplay drivers out. So far I was testing tangled 3d movie and once I started couldn't stop it looked so good.

Oh as to apparent screen size my unscientific check showed it to be equivalent in screen size to sitting about 7 ft from my 82 inch Mitsubishi vs the 11 I normally sit at.
post #63 of 3382 Old 11-09-2011, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by edo1946 View Post

Oh as to apparent screen size my unscientific check showed it to be equivalent in screen size to sitting about 7 ft from my 82 inch Mitsubishi vs the 11 I normally sit at.

Sounds about right, the HMZ-T1 has a 45 degree FOV and that works out at 46.1 degrees.
post #64 of 3382 Old 11-09-2011, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic-Viper View Post

Fixed. Vita rocks btw.

Looks like I'll probably be writing the manual for your game, and I couldn't agree more. Vita is a dream machine, and I welcome this new era of OLED everything with open arms.

Words can't express how jealous I am of you guys (still sitting on any word from Amazon about a shipping date, but that's literally the price I pay for getting it cheaper initially). At this point, I would have gladly forked over the $80 or so difference to be able to hold this thing in my hands.

Thankfully, it's probably a blessing in disguise; I've got the review embargo for Saints Row 3 lifting Friday, a mock review to finish up before then and ANOTHER mock review thing happening this weekend, so the chances of me actually having any time with the unit would be scant at best. Still, don't stop offering your impressions, guys -- we'll be living vicariously through you!
post #65 of 3382 Old 11-09-2011, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo1946 View Post

My reaction so far... Amazing.. The brightness of the 3d is what I am most impressed with. I have an 82 inch Mitsubishi and a 27 inch acer with nvidia glasses that I am comparing it to. It blows away both the Nvidia glasses and the mitsubishi in clarity and brightness and color. ghosting is nonissue on mits dlp but it definitely runs rings around my acer.

At first I had trouble getting focus with my glasses but when I pulled out a pair which has a larger lens and less bifocal gradient it was great. Still a little touchy as to positioning on my head to have both eyes in good focus. Other than that I may have trouble watching 3d even on my 82 inch mits after this.

The pass through from my onkyo tx-sr608 to the tv works great so everything coming in to my onkyo should be viewable on the Sony. Audio can be played either on my 5.1 speakers attached to my onkyo or just on the Sony headphone 5.1 speakers which aren't all that bad.

Ok enough reporting have to try Xbox, ps3 and maybe Nvidia when they get their 3dplay drivers out. So far I was testing tangled 3d movie and once I started couldn't stop it looked so good.

Does it feel like a movie theater as advertised?
post #66 of 3382 Old 11-09-2011, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBishop View Post

Looks like I'll probably be writing the manual for your game, and I couldn't agree more. Vita is a dream machine, and I welcome this new era of OLED everything with open arms.

Words can't express how jealous I am of you guys (still sitting on any word from Amazon about a shipping date, but that's literally the price I pay for getting it cheaper initially). At this point, I would have gladly forked over the $80 or so difference to be able to hold this thing in my hands.

Thankfully, it's probably a blessing in disguise; I've got the review embargo for Saints Row 3 lifting Friday, a mock review to finish up before then and ANOTHER mock review thing happening this weekend, so the chances of me actually having any time with the unit would be scant at best. Still, don't stop offering your impressions, guys -- we'll be living vicariously through you!

Where the hell is IGN's review? I remember Scott tweeting a month ago that the office would get theirs in.
post #67 of 3382 Old 11-09-2011, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkingparrots View Post

Does it feel like a movie theater as advertised?

To me it feels like the screen is at arms distance. Maybe a bit more. Like a big computer monitor.
post #68 of 3382 Old 11-09-2011, 04:41 PM

Next chance I get I will do a test on the PS3 to determine if changing the screen size in the PS3 settings makes any difference to depth perception.
post #69 of 3382 Old 11-09-2011, 04:41 PM

Quote:

Where the hell is IGN's review? I remember Scott tweeting a month ago that the office would get theirs in.

Hell if I know, I haven't been in the office since Beyond 200 and haven't actually written for them since April, so I'm kinda out of the loop. I think what happened, though, was that the unit they were getting might have been a demo one, which you can't really review, only preview (that's if it's the one that he tweeted about and Shu Yoshida responded to?). I'm fairly sure some of the components might have changed since the trade shows and what he was getting was probably the same as the units from stuff like IFA.
post #70 of 3382 Old 11-09-2011, 04:46 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

I will be testing this with 3D Vision from nVidia tonight as well.

I doesn't work with 3d vision yet - unless nVidia have just released drivers, or you know someone in the know!
post #71 of 3382 Old 11-09-2011, 04:51 PM

Quote:

I doesn't work with 3d vision yet - unless nVidia have just released drivers, or you know someone in the know!

Vic knows everybody; he's an nSider! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA-no, wait, I got this, don't worry.

Self-face-punching commencing in 3... 2... 1...

Ow.
post #72 of 3382 Old 11-09-2011, 04:53 PM

Quote:

Should work just fine in his case since 3D Play currently recognizes the Onkyo receiver. Direct connection from PC to HMZ would require the update. I can't wait to hear more reviews of recent game releases. Just might have to get rid of my Optoma Pro350w...
post #73 of 3382 Old 11-09-2011, 04:53 PM

Quote:

Nothing official, but there are other means to get nVidia drivers to behave.
post #74 of 3382 Old 11-09-2011, 04:53 PM

Quote:

To me it feels like the screen is at arms distance. Maybe a bit more. Like a big computer monitor.

:-/ This tempers my hype a bit. I was really hoping for the whole "movie theater in my face" thing.
post #75 of 3382 Old 11-09-2011, 04:58 PM

Quote:

:-/ This tempers my hype a bit. I was really hoping for the whole "movie theater in my face" thing.

I know Vic has probably played with it a bit longer than me, I only had an hour or so on two occasions, but it felt a bit further away to me than that, maybe 12' or so. I guess our eyes are all a little different.

One thing that cannot be denied: It looks great.
post #76 of 3382 Old 11-09-2011, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBishop View Post

Vic knows everybody; he's an nSider! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA-no, wait, I got this, don't worry.

Self-face-punching commencing in 3... 2... 1...

Ow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixel67 View Post

Should work just fine in his case since 3D Play currently recognizes the Onkyo receiver. Direct connection from PC to HMZ would require the update. I can't wait to hear more reviews of recent game releases. Just might have to get rid of my Optoma Pro350w...

Quote:

Nothing official, but there are other means to get nVidia drivers to behave.

Thats me told! That is what I get for believing the internet! I'll have to probe your minds a bit more if I ever receive one of these (I'm in the UK and ordered through a company offering them for £659 instead of £799, so have probably no chance of getting one this year!)
post #77 of 3382 Old 11-09-2011, 05:00 PM

Quote:

Right, but that was never the idea. It was more like you were chilling in the middle of a proper movie theatre. If your eyes had to drink in something that was really, really close, you'd go blind or crazy or both. This way, your eyes can "relax" and it's still pretty big. The screen doesn't take up the whole view when you're sitting center row in a theatre, but after a few seconds you kinda forget everything's there anyway. Hell, that happens with a TV.

I do hope people don't think this is VR; that would be way too tiring for long play sessions and you bet your ass I'm reviewing every 3D game from beginning to end with this thing on from now on. I don't need to coke bottle glasses after a couple weeks to keep doing my job.
post #78 of 3382 Old 11-09-2011, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 287
To all the owners who already have this item in hand, can you test the 'viewing distance' for me?

I'd like to know if the optics (as originally stated by Sony) are really akin to watching a 750" screen at 20m (66 feet).

For those confused about what they see as disparate/conflicting measurements with the 750" @ 66 feet vs. 150" @ 12 feet, as has been mentioned numerous times, it is about the FOV, i.e. how much of your field of vision it takes up. In either of those estimates the FOV is about the same, i.e. it takes up about the same real estate in your vision. The reason for Sony's change in descriptions (also as has already been explained) is because more folks have a common reference to understand what a 150" screen would look like from 12' away than folks trying to figure out what a 750" screen would look like 66 feet away. With the 150" screen, even if the folks don't currently HAVE an FP or large screen setup, they could always just take out a measuring tape and measure out a 150" section of wall and look at it from 12' away to get an impression of what the image would look like.

Another simple way to state the FOV is in viewing distance vs screen width. A 1-mile wide screen viewed from 1 mile away produces the same field of view as a 2 foot wide display viewed from 2 feet away, but with the first, your eyes are at infinity focus, and with the second, your eyes are focusing 2 feet away.

My question is specifically in how the optics cause the viewer's eyes to focus, and on cursory inspection folks might think it's subjective, but there is a simple way to test this:

With the HMD on, after your eyes have become accustomed to focusing on the displayed image, lift the HMD to look at the room, or outside a window. Do you notice your eyes refocusing when you go from viewing the HMD to looking at something 12' away? Or do you notice your eyes refocusing when going from viewing the HMD to looking at something 60'-70' away outside a window?

I'm actually hoping that the optics DO make your eyes focus as if the image was 60 feet away, because as someone mentioned in the other thread, most of our daily lives in modern times are spent staring at objects in close or mid distances. Spending more time focusing at ~60 feet would actually be a good thing for our eyes.

Max
post #79 of 3382 Old 11-09-2011, 05:12 PM

Quote:

It has the immersion and feel of a theater experience, but the neutral depth point is about arms reach (a bit more). I could totally see eating popcorn and believing I'm in a theater with this.
post #80 of 3382 Old 11-09-2011, 05:16 PM

I think it makes you focus 60 ft away. No refocus noticed from inside to out. Without my glasses which I use for my nearsightedness the screen is a blur. Fov definitely looks like 45 degrees. As I said below it is equivalent to watching my 82 inch screen at about 7 ft. (which is pretty close)

It feels like a movie theater to me with lights out. With room lights on maybe not so much.
post #81 of 3382 Old 11-09-2011, 05:16 PM

blizaine,
Did you use a Windows 7 PC with it yet ?
I guess text would still be the same as your screen shots of the Mac desktop right ?
post #82 of 3382 Old 11-09-2011, 05:34 PM

The depth
I've heard a few mention that the depth seems subtle. To me, this seems based on the source material. I found depth to be very noticeable with content well suited for 3D.

I tried a handful of games:
Wipeout HD
Super Stardust HD
Sonic Generations

I tried one movie:

In all cases the depth was clearly there. Most content has the depth capped to reduce eye strain so distant object appeared to be at the end of an office wall (Very technical, I know). With proper calibration using nVidia drivers on PC, I'm sure you can get real to life depth effects.

I tried adjusting the screen size setting on the PlayStation 3 to see if I could effect the displayed depth. None was found. I tried 10" and 700" for my range.

The Display
The display is very easy on the eyes. Text is very clear and a majority of the image stays in focus. I noticed blurriness on the edges but this was fixed by replacing the forehead pad to a thinner one. This brought my eyes closer to the lenses and cleared up my issue.

I'm nearsighted and I tried to use the HMD without my glasses. It didn't take. I found my glasses to work perfectly with the HMD though. At no time did my frames bump into the HMD. I was really impressed.

The PS3 detects the display at 1080p. The scaling seemed good for my use. I plan to reduce it to a native 720p and compare.

The Sound
I'm impressed with how clear the sound is. The treble and bass is well balanced. While the headphones look cheap from the pictures, underneath the cover is a very thick / soft ring. When pressed against the ear, it does a good job blocking out outside sound and maintaining clarity. There isn't a lot of leaking sound either. My friend was playing a game and he warned me that the sound was loud enough to block out my voice, but I couldn't hear much at all from the HMD.

The virtual sound works well and unlike the wireless PlayStation headphones, the surround effect works on Blu Ray movies as well.

Form Factor
As with any new device, I'm ultra paranoid with how its handled. I found that setting the straps to the largest setting, then pressing them inwards once on so it snaps into place is the easiest approach when letting other people try it out.

It seems a little heavy, but after using it for a few minutes I forgot it was there.

I will be adding pics and expanding on this review.
post #83 of 3382 Old 11-09-2011, 05:36 PM

Testing it now with a FujiFilm 3D camera
post #84 of 3382 Old 11-09-2011, 05:42 PM

Looking forward to the Fuji 3D camera test!
post #85 of 3382 Old 11-09-2011, 05:49 PM

Quote:

I think it makes you focus 60 ft away. No refocus noticed from inside to out. Without my glasses which I use for my nearsightedness the screen is a blur. Fov definitely looks like 45 degrees. As I said below it is equivalent to watching my 82 inch screen at about 7 ft. (which is pretty close)

It feels like a movie theater to me with lights out. With room lights on maybe not so much.

Hi.....I think nearsighted means the same as being short sighted yes? (as in I need my glasses for driving the car, but not close up things.

I was thinking at first I wouldn't need glasses on when using this, as the image is directly in front of you, but from what you say it sounds like I will.

So, do regular glasses fit comfortably within the set if worn together?

edit

I see from Vic-Viper that he wore the glasses comfortably underneath.......so thanks anyway

Could I ask though, how long is the cable that runs from the headset, to the processor box?
post #86 of 3382 Old 11-09-2011, 05:51 PM

Happy to report that using the HMZT1 with a FujiFilm Finepix Real 3D W3 works VERY well. The depth was natural and the pictures nice and clear. Skin tones came thru very nicely as well. The video on the camera was a bit shaky since the camera has no stabilization.

I plugged the camera directly into the HMZ control box. No fuss, just worked.
post #87 of 3382 Old 11-09-2011, 05:54 PM

I'm seriously thinking about getting this. Ha. Me and a guy at work today were talking about this. Looks like it would be awesome.
post #88 of 3382 Old 11-09-2011, 06:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Played around with these at a Sony Style store the other day. Unimpressed:

-the mostly plastic chassis felt flimsy and inconsequential, I would be very leery of wearing them in my living room with hardwood flooring in case of accidental droppage; the earpieces were made of the thinnest, flimsiest foam I've encountered since the earphones provided on airplanes

-picture quality was only decent in that the center of the "screen" was crystal clear but the edges were fuzzy and blurry; also, I saw a high amount of screen door effect (I was playing GT5); not much 3D pop, at least not as much as my 3DTV

Overall, it's a good first try for a first gen product especially for the price. I fully understand that compromises had to be made in order for it to be under $1K, I just wish those compromises weren't so obvious (automakers are renowned for making cheap cars feel luxurious and substantial so it isn't impossible). I personally will wait for the second or third gen iteration that hopefully has an aluminum frame, more defined sound quality, and better picture quality.
post #89 of 3382 Old 11-09-2011, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Is the HMZ T1 comfortable while lying down?
post #90 of 3382 Old 11-09-2011, 07:01 PM

Hi guys. Got my HMZ-T1 today and have had a few hours to play with it. I've read through this thread and the various impressions and thought my $.02 might help someone trying to decide whether or not to purchase.

To start off, I absolutely love the quality of the image. I was concerned that 720p so close to my eyes would show each and every pixel. That's not the case here at all. You can see a structure to the pixels if you take your focus off of the on-screen material and direct your attention to it, but you definitely have to try, and even then they're not easy to spot. It doesn't distract at all. Colors are vivid and bright, black is truly black, and motion is smooth and ghost-free. I'm not sure how well it would pass test patterns and calibration discs, but it was so much better than I expected for what it is, I doubt I'll pursue finding any wrinkles.

The headphones seem decent. They do the job just fine, play loudly and clearly with some level of bass. I'm not someone to crank up headphones, but I find no reason to complain, again given the immersion the entire system is providing. I have heard better applications of surround in headphones before however, but I am more used to the Dolby approach so my ears may just need to 're-learn' the directional clues of Sony's system before I know where the helicopter flying over is without seeing it, so to speak.

But I have to get to the parts that made me post here in the first place, and what I felt varied from what I have read in this thread, to my own experience: The 3D and the fit of the viewer itself.

I currently own 2 3D HDTV's, a 3D PC monitor, a Fuji 3D camera, a 3DS even, and a 3D projector. I've used 3D Blu-ray, gamed in 3D on a pc, a PS3, and an Xbox 360. Been an avid 3D fan and user for years now, experienced several different 3d headsets, and was an extremely early adopter of most of this technology. I have no technical a/v background, but probably have as much as experience as a hobbyist can get with such a thing. So it pains me to say that the 3D on this device is absolutely weak. I can certainly tell when it's in 3D mode, and aside from a few brief moments here and there, it is not impressive at all. I took it through a small tour of some of the 3D PS3 games I have, and it was a little disappointing. Motorstorm Apocalypse, Killzone 3, Mortal Kombat, Tumble, Super Stardust, NBA, The Show, Tron, Crysis 2, - all were very underwhelming. I even tried Motorstorm 3D Rift, which normally can start to make me queasy after 20 minutes, the depth is so intense on my plasma- but not the case here. It did produce the most depth of the bunch, but still nothing that would make you say "wow" like it has in the past. No ghosting at all, which was great, but I would never choose to experience a game in 3d for the first time this way.

The low perception of depth in 3D mode is a definite minus for me, but the deal breaker, and the reason I will probably see how I can return them to Sony, is the way the unit fits on my head. I'm not sure if I have a difficult size or shape to my head, but the fit is so much worse than I imagined. I have been through every adjustment, again each time using each forehead piece, and it's impossible to feel comfortable. It either mashes down so heavy on your nose it hurts, or, it crushes against your forehead so hard it also hurts. This presents another issue related to the fit: There's a definite "sweet spot" to looking through the eye pieces. If you are off to the left, right, top, or bottom, the opposite edge will either become blurry (mostly left to right alignment) or the top or bottom becomes obscured. Something I could deal with if I didn't either feel like I'd been punched in the nose after 15 minutes, or that my head was in a vice grip, or both. It's just not happening for me. Maybe it's partially the weight, although it seems reasonable for what you're getting, and I've had heavier headsets on in the past and not felt like this. So far this has completely soured the entire experience, and if I can't find a solution soon, I will have to move on.

So not to disagree with anyone who has posted already, each of us has their own perspective and opinions. I just wanted to let you know mine, from someone who was literally speeding home to get to play with my new toy, and who is now sitting here typing up an internet forum post instead of enjoying it.
Reply 3D Displays

Tags
3d Hdtv

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page