post #901 of 3382 Old 11-26-2011, 04:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuieve View Post

Definiteliy passing on this thing until the revise strap design or thoe whole thing - i wonder what% of the electronics can be moved from the nose area to further back. The way i see it, only optics have to be there, the rest can go around the head.

Aren't most/all of the electronics in the external box?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blumenkind View Post

Does anyone have a good idea how to clean them without scratching or giving damage to them?

I would probably use a Lenspen. Make sure you buy a genuine one though, there are clones out there, and I don't know if they might scratch the surface.

Quote:
Originally Posted by handpacked View Post

Already done by a french guy on a french board

all credits to BM DplanetHD

That looks ridiculous, but also like it probably does a really good job distributing the weight.

It looks like that would get really hot after a while though. Because you're not actually trying to protect your skull, I'm sure that you could have something considerably thinner, lighter, and with more space to stop heat building up over time designed specifically for this.

I actually forsee at least one or two companies offering some kind of solution for this as it's a relatively mainstream product compared to most other HMDs.

Really though, it looks like the main thing required would be a decent strap that goes over the centre of your head.

How do the forehead pads fit on? Does it look like you could potentially replace the forehead pad with a centre strap, if such a thing were made for it?

Are the rear headband straps removable? Could a third party come up with much larger and better padded straps that would fit in place?
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1st View Post

I really liked the quality of the device but I didnt factor in my astigmatism in my left eye and so the 3D isnt up to par. 2D content was amazing but I was going after the 3D experience.

Am I right to assume that you don't need to wear glasses for distance viewing, and so you don't use them with the HMZ-T1? I have astigmatism as well, and it has had no impact with my 3DTV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 3382 Old 11-26-2011, 04:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by djbluemax1 View Post

Headphone audio quality: 3
Yep, the headphones are garbage IMHO. As a background, my sound system consists of Boston Acoustics E100 fronts powered by Emotiva XPA-1's and fed by an Oppo BDP-93 via HDMI to an Onkyo TX-NR5008. I also currently have a pair of Etymotic ER-4P's and a pair of Denon AH-D5000 headphones (which admittedly, have an MSRP almost the price of the HMZ-T1),
http://www.headphone.com/headphones/denon-ah-d5000.php
(yes, I admit, I'm a bit of a basshead hence the AH-D5000's with their slight rise in lower FR), and have had many headphones through the years. Even the cheap Sennheisers I used (with the yellow foam earpads) years and years ago sounded better than the HMZ-T1's headphones. Audio through the HMZ headphones is muffled and distorted, Bass is awful, but the worst thing about them is the lack of clarity.

I switched between all the modes and the surround modes sound the worst. For instance, the Cinema setting is muffled, hollow, tinny and has reverb added. The least horrible setting is the Stereo/surround Off mode, possibly followed by the Standard mode. There's also a Music mode that you couldn't pay me to use to listen to music.

I am really puzzled by the almost polarised viewpoints on the audio quality. I have the Denon AH-D7000's by the way, so I know what sound you like!

I do use the Cinema preset, but on my unit, it sharpens up the dialogue substantially without much in the way of reverb at all! In fact, the Standard surround option has more reverb. I find standard sometimes hard to make out things while cinema is much clearer. While stereo is the most natural and "correct" sound, I do find myself choosing Cinema when watching certain films, because it does successfully give a bit of a surround effect! If the bass is too strong it can distort, which is a processing issue, rather than the headphones themselves. In the manual it does describe cinema as emphasising dialogue! So at least for my unit, it does seem to be doing what it says.

I am starting to wonder if there are two firmwares here. The difference in opinion is really strange. Maybe the presets are muddled up and standard is cinema, and cinema is standard on some units.....hmmmm
post #903 of 3382 Old 11-26-2011, 05:03 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by belovedconsole View Post

This is only in regards to games. For movies, 3d content is set by the creator.

Well, filmmakers decide which interocular distance (actually lens distance of the camera) is appropriate for their movies based on average human's physical data, but shifting the left and right picture afterwards using a 3D player software can still improve the 3D experience, even though the viewing angle will not be affected.
post #904 of 3382 Old 11-26-2011, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngneil1 View Post

Nah, it's not that heavy. The weight is just on the wrong spots unless the back head band is adjusted right (which is overly comlicated ineded). A human can caryy much heavier loads on the head without too much strain - just not on the nose or all focused on the forhead alone.

Youngneil i can just picture you sitting with a plastic bag over your head and, arse strings, and rubber bands holding everything together.

Damn just realised i did the wrong quote from you.

I love and hate this device.

Love the 3d, love the infinite black, love the immersion and love the virtual screen feel.

Hate the discomfort, hate the focus, hate the headphones and hate the fact that each eye can not be adjusted seperatly.

Dave
post #905 of 3382 Old 11-26-2011, 07:32 AM

lol i had to delete my post.. i was nerd raging hard jk sorta after getting off the phone with sony this morning though... smh.. braviao sony braviao
post #906 of 3382 Old 11-26-2011, 08:09 AM

Quote:

Youngneil i can just picture you sitting with a plastic bag over your head and, arse strings, and rubber bands holding everything together.

Yes, it's like evolution 2.0 . I await ascension to the next level of aesthetic half-godship every moment...
post #907 of 3382 Old 11-26-2011, 10:53 AM

Hello to everyone

I recently registered on this forum especially to ask this question.

About 20 days ago our friend asked a question in another topic of this forum (below I quoted) but due to lack of availability of this product,no one could answer. But now that many people on this forum got their hands on it, please do some precise tests at home and answer this question below: \\/ \\/ (Its very important to me) Thank you Very Much

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles m View Post

Can anyone who has tried these in person please tell me, does the display act like a 60hz panel or a 120hz panel when recieving 24p input?

I.e. does it create a judder-inducing 3:2 pulldown (24p on 60hz) or smooth 5:5 (24p on 120hz)?

Unfortunately the manual posted online does not specify, and this has me worried.

I know it does not have "motionflow" interpolation, but if it also lacks "truecinema" 5:5 that would be a huge disappointment.

post #908 of 3382 Old 11-26-2011, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I've had mine for a week or so. I played around with the fit a lot the first two days but have held off for a while. I have found what appears to be the sweet spot with the thinnest pad on the lower hinge.

Question: Any ideas for moving the unit away from my head but leaving the orientation the same? I find that if I simply pull the unit away from my face slightly, it relieves the pressure on my nose without significantly decreasing the clarity.

I assume I need to use a larger pad to get the unit further from my face. FYI, I am using the lens spacer in the default (middle) position.

Thoughts?
post #909 of 3382 Old 11-26-2011, 11:33 AM

To lose forhead pressure, try to utilize the back head band more: not as just an instrument to create overall more pressure, but actually simply as an attachemnt to your back head bones coming somewhat from the skull. Imagine you have build a hook in the back head, you just have to attach it there. If the rubber is not fit for this due to the palcement of the hinges as well its length and flexibility, use a simple string to achieve this.
post #910 of 3382 Old 11-26-2011, 11:42 AM

I want to thanks AVS Forum & it's users for posting up to date info on the Sony HMZ-T1. i went to the Sony Store in NYC yesterday on Black Friday because i was bored & Batman was sold out in Best Buy . i ask one of the Sony workers on the floor about the HMZ-T1 & they told me they have it on stock, i was very shock when they told me this on the web site they said they will have it on stock on 1/15/2012.

So anyone who want this & live in NY, go to the Sony Store in NYC, here the address.

Sony Store
550 Madison Ave.
New York, NY 10022

My Review
Display: 9.5/10
+ For $800, not only you going to get one of the best picture quality display on the market, one of the best 3D display with no cross talk on the market, one of the fastest display rate on the market too (0.01ms) which means for video games & movies you will have a very smooth picture, better then 120hz, 240hz & 600hz. no video & control lag what so ever when playing video games. can spent hours on the HMZ-T1 & my eyes will not get watery, unlike the 3D HDTV set.

- On PlayStation 3 on display setting, users like me don't know what to put as display, 150in or 750in.

Sound Quality: 9/10
+ Just wow, the HMZ-T1 headphone sound like a Turtle Beach headset, you heard right . as a audiophile i was very shock when i heard the bass on this thing, i love it! 5.1ch works great in Game mode & movie mode sound odd at first but you will love it after you get use to it. also who ever said that the HMZ-T1 headphones are cheap & weak really need to check there ears because these are high end headphones.

- No Mic support but anyone who has a PlayStation 3 Eye, use that for your Mic.

Others
+ Easy to pack, use way less watts, easy to clean, no more messy cables hanging around.

- The Weight, your nose will feel odd at first & the weight will go to your nose but once you get use to it, you can have it for hours. i had it on for 6 hours & my neck didn't hurt at all. got a strong neck . you must have the lights off when using this device or else the light on the top of the Personal Viewer will go in.

Final 9.5/10
Is the wait worth it for this device?

The answer is yes because for $800 not only you get the best image quality but a very nice 5.1ch headphones with a lot of bass & one of the best 3D display out there on the market today. also note that the weight on the nose can be fix but other then that, this device is a must have for any gamers & movies fans out there.
post #911 of 3382 Old 11-26-2011, 11:50 AM

If it was possbile to get your hands on a "inner" helmet like this one (looks like a prototype)

http://bestdesignews.com/hot-design/...tion-with-air/

maybe you could make it work with the HMZ?
LL
post #912 of 3382 Old 11-26-2011, 12:39 PM

my HMZ
i sculpted a 20$ mountain bike helmet

post #913 of 3382 Old 11-26-2011, 01:48 PM

^^^ yep helmet.. thats what i was thinking even though french guy used a red helmet i noticed he had a logitech g27 racing wheel n stuff. so he's got the racing helm cool... i thought too if people like that can take the weight and do the distrib right you could even custom paint it or brush it up. but ^^ yeah it breathes and $30 bike helmets aren't jack and can even paint that *shrug* it's an ever endless mods with this thing.. it's not new but ehh lol... shouldn't need modified WHO DESIGNED THIS?! smh sony. hire me pm me ;p and some of the others here.. i mean geez and hire french guy for sure... i got two playseat racing seats(one has logitech g27 is why i noticed it lol.. plus i got the thrustmaster Ferarri F430 paddle dial wheel lol too just to switch it up) too and like wanted to trackir 5 it mmm and i just like to sight see with my monk but of course like skyrim and those games i got tons of steam games... but blagh...im back in school this coming semester i want to use em NOW! and im ill! with it in everquest i dont game much but i had olympus eye trek fm250w model HMDs and ive never seen 3d really.. dont ask.. but yeah.. i miss em they were a toy compared to this so i really might fleabay hmm rambling.. buying black friday gifts two days online with hardly any sleep and sick will do that..
post #914 of 3382 Old 11-26-2011, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Well, I don't know about these helmets people are making. First off, they look just funny. I mean, the idea is good but could you imagine sitting in a motorcycle or bike helmet for an hour or 2? Even the inner padding would make your head feel hot and start getting ucomfortable after some time.
Not to mention with one of those on you couldn't lean your head back and relax because the dang helmet would be hitting the couch or chair your on.

"by the way, that bike helmet must have been hell to get the foam out of?! I have one and that foams super glued in there so hard not even Hulk Hogan could rip it out.. Better I call Chuck Norris!"

Well, today is the day my wife and I will start working on some cushions for this thing. We will do our best and see what we come up with. We gotta go out later and check the best fabric and sponge. But I already have an idea of what to do. Once we get them right, they feel good and I like them.. I will start selling on my site for all. Rest assured, my wife is one hell of a sewer and good at this kinda stuff!

3D items I own:

Sony 46" LX900 active 3D set

Sony HMZ-T3 (Cushion pads and light blocker mod)

LG LW6500 passive 3D set

PS3 & PS4

Sony BDP-S570 BD3D player

JVC-GS-TD1 (with Cyclopital base extender)

Fujifilm W3

Sony Alpha 55 (for 3D panoramic photos)

Quadcopter + Zenmuse and GoPro Hero 3 (Filming...

post #915 of 3382 Old 11-26-2011, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravia3D View Post

Well, I don't know about these helmets people are making. First off, they look just funny. I mean, the idea is good but could you imagine sitting in a motorcycle or bike helmet for an hour or 2? Even the inner padding would make your head feel hot and start getting ucomfortable after some time.
Not to mention with one of those on you couldn't lean your head back and relax because the dang helmet would be hitting the couch or chair your on.

"by the way, that bike helmet must have been hell to get the foam out of?! I have one and that foams super glued in there so hard not even Hulk Hogan could rip it out.. Better I call Chuck Norris!"

Well, today is the day my wife and I will start working on some cushions for this thing. We will do our best and see what we come up with. We gotta go out later and check the best fabric and sponge. But I already have an idea of what to do. Once we get them right, they feel good and I like them.. I will start selling on my site for all. Rest assured, my wife is one hell of a sewer and good at this kinda stuff!

Look forward to seeing that you guys come up with as I wait for my Jan 17th deliverydate. 52 days and counting.
post #916 of 3382 Old 11-26-2011, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Thats a long wait! Here in Japan I just couldn't wait and bought mine for way, way to much off an auction. But I do like it, once I get it comfortable I shall enjoy it even more.

3D items I own:

LG LW6500 passive 3D set

PS3 & PS4

Fujifilm W3

post #917 of 3382 Old 11-26-2011, 03:03 PM

It is a long wait. Ive called just about every sony style store in the US to see if they have stock that I could buy from and have it shippped to me and have not been sucessful yet.
post #918 of 3382 Old 11-26-2011, 04:32 PM

got mine yesterday and so far this thing is ok

like others have said the image is good , not as bright as my led tv , good blacks , the immersion is pretty good , sitting in front of my 46' passive 3dtv , the hmz feels much bigger , the fov is slightly smaller but it appears to be much farther away , very similar to a cinema screen , the thing is , this thing really is uncomfortable , i was a skeptic but my forehead doesn't like that thing , it's really heavy, the lenses inside that thing are horrible , it's very hard to get to that sweet spot and keep it , massive chromatic aberration on white text etc , the edges will get blurry most of the time , but you get an immersion that is unmatched by a 3dtv , this is indeed a cool experience.

so i made a quick ghetto mod with a canon strap , it does take all the weight on the top of my head , none on my forehead or on my nose .

i'm in a hurry so i'm just posting my thoughts real fast and a couple of pictures , but i might come back to do a better review once i find the time .

see ya !

post #919 of 3382 Old 11-26-2011, 04:43 PM

Liked: 11
I came up with a strap solution for the HMZ-T1 using velcro products I already had lying around the house.

Here's what I used..

Velcro Ultra-Mate 10 ft long, 1-inch wide

Velcro One Wrap Strap - 12 ft long x 3/4" wide

Home Depot and Lowes carry them if you have one nearby.

I cut out 3 square strips of the adhesive fastening tape from the Velcro Ultra-Mate and stuck one on the front and each side (as shown in the photos).

Cut two straps from the Velcro One Wrap. The strap that goes from the front to back is 18". The side strap is 15". You may need to make them longer depending on the size of your head. I made sure I had enough slack in both straps I cut.

First adjust the side strap to a snug fit, then the front-to-back strap. The front-to-back velcro strap latches right onto the side strap, so no need to run it down to your arse. The velcro makes it so easy to adjust the straps. Once you have both straps adjusted right, you'll find the weight is better distributed, and the over the head strap keeps the unit raised above your nose. I watched two movies back-to-back this morning and felt no discomfort.

I attempted to use some velcro to keep the light blockers from falling off so easily, but the the adhesive velco fasteners don't stick onto rubber unfortunately.

post #920 of 3382 Old 11-26-2011, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

All great ideas, but that velcro looks like it may fall off eventually?

Wife and I are gonna go out later today, check fabrics and see what we can do to make this thing more comfortable. I wanna make something that looks good, requires no modding to the device, easy to put on and take off and won't leave marks, glue or anything like that. No one wants to buy a product later on that has glue or marks all over it (if you decide to sell it in the future)

I already have some ideas and just gotta find the right fabric and cushions for the job. Once we are done this thing is gonna feel damn good!

3D items I own:

LG LW6500 passive 3D set

PS3 & PS4

Fujifilm W3

post #921 of 3382 Old 11-26-2011, 05:25 PM

And yet the arse-string has to find a match - just kidding, cool ideas and pictures here. That's definetly a product that inspires creativity. Let's all e-mail to Sony and their engineers to direct their attention here .
post #922 of 3382 Old 11-26-2011, 05:26 PM

Quote:

Nah, that velcro tape sticks on to plastic pretty good. I have several feet of the velcro, so if any of the adhesive strips do eventually wear out, easy to replace. They won't leave a mark either if I do peel them off.
post #923 of 3382 Old 11-26-2011, 05:26 PM

Quote:

Wife and I are gonna go out later today, check fabrics and see what we can do to make this thing more comfortable. I wanna make something that looks good, requires no modding to the device, easy to put on and take off and won't leave marks, glue or anything like that. No one wants to buy a product later on that has glue or marks all over it (if you decide to sell it in the future)

I already have some ideas and just gotta find the right fabric and cushions for the job. Once we are done this thing is gonna feel damn good!

Hurry up and make them already !

And I really like the ideas I'm seeing here, I'll try your velcro mod Phoenix. Good job.
post #924 of 3382 Old 11-26-2011, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngneil1 View Post

\\ Let's all e-mail to Sony and their engineers to direct their attention here .

Oh, they know about us already. I spoke to the US product manager for the HMZ-T1 three weeks ago in LA at the Video and Audio Center store opening. When I mentioned the HMZ-T1 message thread here at AVS, he told me he and other guys at Sony are already frequent visitors. It's too bad Sony corporate won't allow them to post messages.
post #925 of 3382 Old 11-26-2011, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 24
The University Village Sony store in Seattle has these in stock as of this posting.
post #926 of 3382 Old 11-26-2011, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostinsane View Post

The University Village Sony store in Seattle has these in stock as of this posting.

Man, I should have just waited and purchased mine at a sony store. "We are diverting all store units to fulfill pre-orders." pssssh

Keep up the clever mod work guys!
post #927 of 3382 Old 11-26-2011, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 88
They had gotten at least 5 on Wednesday night at the Washington Square Mall outside Portland when I bought mine. Wouldn't be surprised if they had one left or will be getting more before Christmas.

I love this thing when laying down, just wish that I could soften up the nose parts a bit as the big red mark when I am done looks really awkward. Finding new uses for it I hadn't thought of though - like watching it while trying to get my son to nap.

XBox: King Nuthin
post #928 of 3382 Old 11-26-2011, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 88
My most wanted item - a carrying case that also fits an Xbox 360. If anyone comes up with a good combo solution please post pics. Family would hate me but it would be awesome to bring with me on Christmas vacation.

XBox: King Nuthin
post #929 of 3382 Old 11-26-2011, 11:56 PM

YEAH YEAH YEAH! got a buy it now HMZ-t1 just now, im inc!!! haha.

got it got. not to bad a price if you include tax/and shipping tacked onto the $799

anyways yay!

Your payment for US $1,065.00 has been processed by PayPal. You will receive an email receipt shortly.

ouch my pockets just got empty!!!! im so glad i been watching ebay like a hawk that's the best deal i've seen lol... and the guy has stellar feedback/now i can finally rest. thanks sony.
post #930 of 3382 Old 11-27-2011, 02:29 AM
AVS Special Member

We just finished our first prototype cushions! Sorry, no photos just yet Took my wife quite awhile but they look great.

So, how they work is one slides on the top hard strap and another on the bottom strap. The bottom ones tricky because its rubber and wants to bend around, but it goes on. Each one is double padded with a thin sponge on the inside for extra comfort. After you put them on, you can push them back to adjust the straps to fit your head and then move the cusions back into place.

Then another cushion which is also double padded goes over the top of your head connected to the front head pad and then to the back hard strap.
It is adjustable via some velcro so you can loosen or tighten it easily.

This makes the device so much more comfortable and takes pressure off your nose. I was able to watch all of Avatar with no pain using it, FINALLY!

The good thing also is, you don't need to stick or glue anything to the device. These simply slide on and slide off quite easy.

So, after a few adjustments I will post photos and start selling these on my website for all. We used a black soft fabric because black matches the original straps. But we may offer color choices such as a white fabric or red, which ever colors you like! Also debating on using different colors for the stitching thread, so you can choose that maybe as well. If you'd like something even embroiderd on it, such as a name, or some kinda text even in Japanese my wife could do it

Also thinking of making some new headphone covers to protect them, as the Sony ones aren't that great and look like they rip easy. And possibly a cover to keep it stored in, since it gets so dang dusty so easy.

One question to all here, what do you think is a reasonable price for the cushions? Keep in mind, my wife buys the fabric and sponge, cuts the fabric to our measurements. Then cuts the sponge and sews it all together. It takes quite a long time. Sounds easy but she takes her time and does it professionally so they aren't crap Also keep in mind we are in Japan and the dollar isn't worth much here now. Shipping isn't that expensive though so not worried about that.

Just to give you an idea of how good she is, here is a floormat she made for my car before. The lady also makes her own purses and never buys them haha!

3D items I own:

LG LW6500 passive 3D set

PS3 & PS4

Fujifilm W3

Reply 3D Displays

Tags
3d Hdtv