Sony HMZ-T1 HMD Owner's dedicated thread - Page 37 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1081 of 3382 Old 11-29-2011, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Checkbag, thanks for the info. Well we are getting tons of orders daily.

Yes, they take much time to make each one so my wife and I are working out a way to make them faster. I am gonna help her more by sketching patterns and cutting then she sews.
Most people seem to understand they are handmade and gonna take much time to create which is good!

If you guys know any other forums feel free to let them know of my site and product! It would help out much and perhaps get more people to use the HMZ or buy it.

Also someone was talking about a Japanese forum were users post about the HMZ, is there a link for it?

In the future I will post on Ebay and have an Amazon account as well.

3D items I own:

Sony 46" LX900 active 3D set

Sony HMZ-T3 (Cushion pads and light blocker mod)

LG LW6500 passive 3D set

PS3 & PS4

Sony BDP-S570 BD3D player

JVC-GS-TD1 (with Cyclopital base extender)

Fujifilm W3

Sony Alpha 55 (for 3D panoramic photos)

Quadcopter + Zenmuse and GoPro Hero 3 (Filming...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 3382 Old 11-29-2011, 02:02 PM

Liked: 10
There is one day left on the Viewer. Hate to see it go, I am planning on going and getting Lazik done to my eye.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SONY-HMZ-T1-...item2eb97f3a4a
post #1083 of 3382 Old 11-29-2011, 02:04 PM

Hello everyone,
I just bought the hmz from ebay (USA version). Can anyone confirm if I need a stepdown converter 220v-to-110v in order to use it in Europe (Sweden). I know that my ps3 from US have built in converter. But how about the hmz?

Thanks in advance.
post #1084 of 3382 Old 11-29-2011, 02:45 PM

Liked: 13
bravia3d now you are turning your house to be a little factory . good to hear that you are doing well with the product.
how many set you made so far ? hope u made mine already too .
post #1085 of 3382 Old 11-29-2011, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

To be honest, none have been made yet. We got so many orders "more than we ever thought" that last night we were working on a way to make them faster. So we traced 5 sets on the fabric, cut them out and got them ready to be sewn. This took 2 hours as we had to make more measurements and a stencil to use.
We had to measure more because we will use triple the cushions in the middle pad so it will be a bit thicker.
Now that a stencil is made and those are cut we can make them tonight. Since I will now be tracing and cutting my wife should be able to move a bit faster. However, sadly we can only work on these at night and weekends. My wife gets home at 7, we eat and start at 8 and that only gives us a few hours.

But don't worry, we will work hard and do our best to make them for all!

3D items I own:

LG LW6500 passive 3D set

PS3 & PS4

Fujifilm W3

post #1086 of 3382 Old 11-29-2011, 02:58 PM

Liked: 13
sure ,i actually know that will take time . thank you.

ps. i am waiting for my HMD to delivery anyway lol i dont have one yet but excited with my future toy.
post #1087 of 3382 Old 11-29-2011, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

I believe your number 2 on the order list, so won't take to long for ya!

3D items I own:

LG LW6500 passive 3D set

PS3 & PS4

Fujifilm W3

post #1088 of 3382 Old 11-29-2011, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkattack View Post

Hello everyone,
I just bought the hmz from ebay (USA version). Can anyone confirm if I need a stepdown converter 220v-to-110v in order to use it in Europe (Sweden). I know that my ps3 from US have built in converter. But how about the hmz?

Thanks in advance.

It only says 110 on the back mate it could be just a different sticker.. For the sake of a cheap converter I wouldn't risk is. I have popped some of my US things I have in my house in england by forgetting to plug them into a converter.
post #1089 of 3382 Old 11-29-2011, 04:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have created a new HMZ-T1 C3

It is base on my BMX helmet that I have now sculpted and maybe more important refined the settings !

Lot of work (3h+) to take out all the material (polyester) to have a smaller helmet...

You will see the big bag of material taken out, very impressive.

I have use a ceramic knife to do this, very precise, love this tool.

The soft strap of the HMZ is now ok with the size of the helmet, despite the rigid one is still not attached without some help thing (grass plant attach), because I was a bit afraid to sculpt more there (but I think it is still possible).
But the green attach is very solid…

I have had a real focus on comfort, and that was the main objective, with the focus (vision) of course.

I really want to have the best fit in terms of comfort.

So, I have used different comfort pads, coming from 3 different helmet bikes, to do precisely the settings of this baby.

It was very useful, because it helps a lot to have the right level (angle) of vision for the HMZ, without having the helmet not to low (oriented too much to the ground) and to maintain the helmet in a solid position without too much pressure…
(I am very skin sensitive, feel pain if it is too tight or too much pressure, on head or nose).

With this new HMZ-T1 C3, I can wear it for hours without problems !
When I take out the C3 of my head, it just like if it was not there before, absolutely no pain !

But the best point, is the quality of the focus !
It is very easy to find the sweet spot, and more important : it stays tuned!
It also stays when you take on and off the C3 !

When I am in my favorite armchair, I can put my head like I love along the top of the armchair (sorry do not know the word), and the focus stays also tuned…

I have also work the sculpt to obtain a direct straight line from the branches (arms) of the HMZ, the more natural possible, so I have to take out a lot of material there.

The front pad sculpt was done very slowly, with a method of sculpt then test, and sculpt then test again, and again, and again…

The headphones have now plenty of place after the sculpt, and they can extend themselves and move up/down very easily, no constrain there.
The quality of sound is better now, because the headphones are better orientated.

I have used already the HMZ-T1 C3 more than 4 hours without any problem at all.

Because of the comfort pads very well balanced, the weight disappears a lot, that is also the more surprising thing for me after the tests !
(I was spotting the comfort target, but because the comfort pad are very good quality ones (and well placed), I have the equilibrate as a plus).

A good thing that I have also learned with this built, is that the pressure must NOT be the same all around your head in the helmet.
And that’s where the comforts pads arrived.
You have to create the pressure where you need, not everywhere, and the level of the pressure is important too.
Different pads, different thickness, different places…

I thought that I will use a “circle with a button” as there is on a cheap helmet that I have bought.

But this circle thing does not equilibrate the pressure where it needs to be done…
After many tests, I had to quit this type of solution, because it was not comfortable at all (despite of my first feelings before the tests).

So the result is here, and I am very pleased with this little baby …
Some pictures of this HMZ-T1 C3 now…
But the comfort, it is something that you will have problem to see on the pictures…

The small hole on the sides are from an original air conduit ....not created by my faulty knife scupt !

....I known, there is still this little green thing, but it is very solid...

...3 different types of comfortpad used inside to have a perfect fit (comfort+settings)

...Fronthead pad (external and internal view)...

...The headphones are free (outside and inside view)...

... the material taken out...

... big bag of material taken out...
Compared it with the size of the helmet after sculpt with the ceramic knife...

Comments, ideas, critics are welcome !
post #1090 of 3382 Old 11-29-2011, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DplanetHD View Post

I have created a new HMZ-T1 C3

Welcome to the perfect HHMD (Helmet Head mounted Display) club mate. It's a nice feeling when you get it just right isn't it. I wear mine now And I forget to even tighten it up at the back.. Love it. And the best thing is the foam helmets are so cheap.

This was my carving knife of choice.

Have you tried adding weight for ballast.. Balance the helmet in the middle either with string or supporting it from underneath with a long object. And see how it balances.. if the front is a bit low add a little weight to the back.. This also makes a big difference..

Great work, thanks for posting.
post #1091 of 3382 Old 11-29-2011, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
This has got to be the funniest thread of all time!
post #1092 of 3382 Old 11-29-2011, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsmith808 View Post

This has got to be the funniest thread of all time!

Oh i dont know I have some comical threads in my wardrobe.. boom boom.. haha
post #1093 of 3382 Old 11-29-2011, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravia3D View Post

Checkbag, thanks for the info. Well we are getting tons of orders daily.

Yes, they take much time to make each one so my wife and I are working out a way to make them faster. I am gonna help her more by sketching patterns and cutting then she sews.
Most people seem to understand they are handmade and gonna take much time to create which is good!

If you guys know any other forums feel free to let them know of my site and product! It would help out much and perhaps get more people to use the HMZ or buy it.

Also someone was talking about a Japanese forum were users post about the HMZ, is there a link for it?

In the future I will post on Ebay and have an Amazon account as well.

Here is a Japanese site with comments and photos of other mods.

http://bbs.kakaku.com/bbs/K000028291...3153/#13766020
post #1094 of 3382 Old 11-29-2011, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonStatt View Post

What I find interesting is that some 2D material can feel 3D simply because the screen occupies so much of your vision.

I know these sorts of perceptions are very individual. On the opening of Under the sea 3D there is an IMAX 10-1 countdown which has you zooming into the screen as it goes from 10 down to 1. I almost feel like I am falling into the screen. It is better with 3D enabled, but it still gives that sensation even in 2D.

I notice this also, from time to time. It's delightful. I know it's 2d, but dayamn. In fact for lack of 3d, I have been watching almost entirely 2d stuff on Netflix, HD and otherwise. This set seems to make even lo-res stuff look good: Master of Masks, an old Chinese film, looks like it was shot on 16mm. And has that resolution; the HMZs don't make it sharper, but wow is it still pretty. I am noticing that 2d in these def. gives me a much larger emotional impact than 2d on my 50".

I also notice that digital artifacts from streaming (color fades becoming pixelated, etc.) are less noticeable on here than my projector, and that does way better than the Olevia TV I used to have. It also makes ps2 games gorgeous. I played Final Fantasy X-2 (I love the scenery in that game) and with the smoothing off and it's gorgeous. Same with ps1 Wipeout. Hmmm now I'll have to try Parappa the Rapper lol.

The other fun thing I've seen is a 3d effect that occurs when I'm watching say, an Asian movie with subtitles and at the beginning credits, white on black, the film's credits in other language are at a particular depth, but the subtitles in English are floating in front of them! It doesn't distract, I don't notice "floating subtitles" during the movie, but this observation reveals an interesting artifact of computer-generated overlays: they may appear to be at a different point on the z-part of the 3d 'plane', even on 2d material since the sources have different output qualities.
post #1095 of 3382 Old 11-29-2011, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastyUK View Post

Welcome to the perfect HHMD (Helmet Head mounted Display) club mate. It's a nice feeling when you get it just right isn't it. I wear mine now And I forget to even tighten it up at the back.. Love it. And the best thing is the foam helmets are so cheap.

This was my carving knife of choice.

Have you tried adding weight for ballast.. Balance the helmet in the middle either with string or supporting it from underneath with a long object. And see how it balances.. if the front is a bit low add a little weight to the back.. This also makes a big difference..

Great work, thanks for posting.

Many thanks EastyUK !

Yes, before my last mod I have seen your post about the weight balancing, and I was prepared to work on my C3 in that direction...

But, as I said, I was really surprised to feel no weight !
I think it is due to the well balanced comfort pad, which firmly but gently maintain the C3 on the head with a perfect contact/fit (without excessive pressure or skin irritation).

I was really ready to explore your choice of weight balancing...
Great job, congrats for all the work !

(woooo that's a knife man !)
Mine is more cooking orientated (but I must admit that I've specially bought it to sculpt my C3 ).
post #1096 of 3382 Old 11-29-2011, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DplanetHD View Post

Many thanks EastyUK !

Yes, before my last mod I have seen your post about the weight balancing, and I was prepared to work on my C3 in that direction...

But, as I said, I was really surprised to feel no weight !
I think it is due to the well balanced comfort pad, which firmly but gently maintain the C3 on the head with a perfect contact/fit (without excessive pressure or skin irritation).

I was really ready to explore your choice of weight balancing...
Great job, congrats for all the work !

(woooo that's a knife man !)
Mine is more cooking orientated (but I must admit that I've specially bought it to sculpt my C3 ).

Glad it works so well.. Its really a different product now for me.

If any one uses an Nvidia GPU they just release a new beta(290.36 - BETA ) driver and it works a lot better for me.

Now I have my monitor at 2560x1600 and switch on the HMD and it automatically switches to the clone mode I had it set to. 1080 24hz or 720p 60hz.

Then I switch off the HMD and it jumps back to the native resolution.. Bonanza!

Win7 32bit

WIN7 64Bit

Quote:

New in R290 Drivers

NVIDIA Ambient Occlusion

Adds NVIDIA Control Panel ambient occlusion support for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. See the comparison screenshots on GeForce.com.
Adds NVIDIA Control Panel ambient occlusion support for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3. See the comparison screenshots on GeForce.com.
NVIDIA PhysX

Updates PhysX System Software to version 9.11.11.07 for the best PhysX experience in Batman: Arkham City.
NVIDIA Surround

Enables NVIDIA' Surround support for Intel X79 SLI-certified motherboards.
NVIDIA SLI

Added or updated SLI profiles for Crysis 2, Heroes and Generals, Inversion, Stronghold 3, and Syndicate.
3D Vision

Adds support for 3D Vision over native DisplayPort 1.1 connection - available on BenQ XL2420T and BenQ XL2420TX monitors.
Added or updated the following 3D Vision game profiles:
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 – rated Good
Cang Sheng (苍生) – rated Good
Diablo 3 – rated Good
Fei fei (飞飞) – rated Good
Final Combat (大冲锋) – rated Good
L.A. Noire – updated rating to 3D Vision Ready
LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7 – rated Fair
Qian Nv You Hun Online (倩女幽魂Online) – rated Good
QQ Xi You (QQ西游) – rated Good
Sonic Generations – rated Good
Xian Tu (仙途) – rated Good
Yong Bing Tian Xia Online (拥兵天下 Online) – rated Good
HD Audio

Updates HD Audio driver to version 1.3.9.0.
Some Key Bug Fixes

Fixes random flickering as Windows boot logo is loading or fading away.
Fixes corruption in Crysis 2 with SLI and lower quality shadow settings.
Fixes ability to set Surround resolutions to 5760x1080 using custom resolutions.
Fixes some random instances of triangular artifacts when playing Battlefield 3.
Fixes corruption seen in Settlers 7 with 275.33 drivers.

post #1097 of 3382 Old 11-29-2011, 11:19 PM
AVS Special Member

I got mine today and played with it for a while.. overall, picture is very good, . To me it's easily 150"... It appears bigger than my 106" appears from 10-12 feet away. In 3D it looks the same size as 2D -- not sure why some people think 3D looks smaller. Quality of 3D is very good too. Black levels are very good and constant, but not "black". Very dark gray.

The problem i have is trying to adjust it just right. It seems that the corners are blurry -- when something is written up there it's hard to read. In some ways I'd like for there to be a way to shrink the image a bit just so that I dont have blurred corners.

Are blurred corners something i should be seeing or does it mean it's not adjusted properly?

As far as weight, if not adjusted right it puts way too much pressure on bridge of nose.. but when there's no weight there, i can't seem to get a blur-free picture... think i have to play with it more.

In some ways I wanted to not like this thing so that I could return it, but I think i like it enough to keep it. We'll see what happens ...

Lex Luthor, Ruler of Australia, activate the machine!
post #1098 of 3382 Old 11-29-2011, 11:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumlad View Post

Black levels are very good and constant, but not "black". Very dark gray.

This worries me. I thought an oled device would have absolute black levels? The amoled og oled devices I have seen before have all absolute black aka no light at all.

Per Johnny
post #1099 of 3382 Old 11-30-2011, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkattack View Post

Hello everyone,

Thanks in advance.

You should have bought it in sony center, few guys already have gott their HMD's.

Talked to both Sony Center in Stockholm and Täby and they both have taken pre-orders.

I ordered mine in Stockholm and hoping to see it sooooooon...
(Ordered 15 nov)
post #1100 of 3382 Old 11-30-2011, 12:40 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't have much time today, so tomorrow I shall make a Youtube video on how to use my cushions and put them on.

3D items I own:

LG LW6500 passive 3D set

PS3 & PS4

Fujifilm W3

post #1101 of 3382 Old 11-30-2011, 01:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Per Johnny View Post

This worries me. I thought an oled device would have absolute black levels? The amoled og oled devices I have seen before have all absolute black aka no light at all.

If you totally black out the room, I would say it was very very very very very very dark grey. I mean you struggle to see there is any light from the panels. If there is even one white pixel on the screen, then you can't see black as anything else but perfectly black!

I have seen viewing glasses before claiming to have OLED panels but only 200:1 contrast ratio. I don't know what kind of poor OLEDs they are using, or if they are some kind of cheat, but the Sony panels are the real deal. They don't quote a contrast ratio, but its going to be off the charts.
post #1102 of 3382 Old 11-30-2011, 01:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumlad View Post

The problem i have is trying to adjust it just right. It seems that the corners are blurry -- when something is written up there it's hard to read. In some ways I'd like for there to be a way to shrink the image a bit just so that I dont have blurred corners.

Are blurred corners something i should be seeing or does it mean it's not adjusted properly?

As far as weight, if not adjusted right it puts way too much pressure on bridge of nose.. but when there's no weight there, i can't seem to get a blur-free picture... think i have to play with it more.

That has been the primary discussion topic for the last x pages of this thread. The glasses will put pressure on the nose if the whole image is in focus. Try using a thinner forehead pad if you are struggling with focus. Consider Bravia3D's padded accessory!
post #1103 of 3382 Old 11-30-2011, 01:12 AM

i dont know im not that ridiculous when it comes to black hah. but from what i heard and saw of oled and just the fact that it can be bended or rolled up is mind blowing lol i cant wait to see some roll out oled tvs in the future lol and they can make olen transparent

lol plus these have mod potential all over em even down the road i can't wait to see... i think these are like the best hmd so far esp to do 3d... blacks ohh noes im sure it'll get better hahah and i thought i had an eye for detail lol

sony make my future oled tv roll out and come in a tube.... make it curvable lol... then i wont have to do it with projectors...
post #1104 of 3382 Old 11-30-2011, 01:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If you totally black out the room, I would say it was very very very very very very dark grey. I mean you struggle to see there is any light from the panels. If there is even one white pixel on the screen, then you can't see black as anything else but perfectly black!

I have seen viewing glasses before claiming to have OLED panels but only 200:1 contrast ratio. I don't know what kind of poor OLEDs they are using, or if they are some kind of cheat, but the Sony panels are the real deal. They don't quote a contrast ratio, but its going to be off the charts.

Thanks for the clarification. They should arrive here in Norway shortly.

Have anyone any thoughts on color temperature and color primaries on this device, and which setting is the most accurate?

Thanks.

Per Johnny
post #1105 of 3382 Old 11-30-2011, 01:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 202
Quote:

Have anyone any thoughts on color temperature and color primaries on this device, and which setting is the most accurate?

When mine turns up (probably mid-Dec from the look of things) I will be doing a full calibration with an i1Pro, and should be able to offer 3DLUT settings for anyone using a HTPC with madVR for video playback.
post #1106 of 3382 Old 11-30-2011, 01:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronoptimist View Post

When mine turns up (probably mid-Dec from the look of things) I will be doing a full calibration with an i1Pro, and should be able to offer 3DLUT settings for anyone using a HTPC with madVR for video playback.

I tried to put my i1pro up to the glasses and just got insane readings, probably because the lens reflections or not positioning it at just the right position. I will be interested to see if you can manage to calibrate it.
post #1107 of 3382 Old 11-30-2011, 02:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 202
Quote:

I tried to put my i1pro up to the glasses and just got insane readings, probably because the lens reflections or not positioning it at just the right position. I will be interested to see if you can manage to calibrate it.

I imagine it will be quite tricky to get properly positioned, but I'm sure it can be done.

I've done similar things with my 3DTV and calibrating in 3D through the glasses. (but there are no eye relief issues there)

Out of interest, can you describe what the "insane readings" were, so I know what to look out for?
post #1108 of 3382 Old 11-30-2011, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I better clarify before I mislead people

The best way to think about it is this... the panel itself is not absolutely black. Think about all the plasmas, and even CRTs out there. When they are turned off, they are not absolutely black. Note that some tvs use those AR/black filters which also make the panel appear to be blacker... this doesnt have an AR filter.

I own a JVC RS40 which has extremely good black level. The HMZ surpasses it... If I had to take a guess, I'd say the contrast ratio was a native 200,000:1..

When my projector is showing a bright scene on a 2.35:1 movie, those black bars light up -- this does not happen with the HMZ.

I also have a Super AMOLED phone... it also does not have absolute black either. When I'm in my projector room and all lights are off, if i load up an app, the screen goes "black/blank" for a while and it is not as dark as the edges of the phone... the thing is -- it's so dark that there's no need to care about it....

Lex Luthor, Ruler of Australia, activate the machine!
post #1109 of 3382 Old 11-30-2011, 07:18 AM

Bravia I would suggest you first patent your invention then outsource it to a company, cause if it will take very long people will start bitching and moaning about the wait time. But regardless I wish you great succses and I'm happy for you. Just my two cents.
post #1110 of 3382 Old 11-30-2011, 07:37 AM

@everyone who's wondering about shipping... (it probably has been posted here before)

snapped from blog.sony.com

Quote:

When will I get my Personal 3D Viewer?

The excitement for the Personal 3D Viewer has exceeded our expectations! If you pre-ordered your HMZT1, preorders started shipping this week, in the order they were received. Orders are filled on a first come/first serve basis.

As this post was written 9'th Nov, it doesnt really calm me... Still tooo darn eager to get mine!

http://blog.sony.com/your-personal-3...tions-answered
Reply 3D Displays

Tags
3d Hdtv

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page