Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 3382 Old 11-09-2011, 06:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by alamone View Post

Mine's at "Shipping Update" on the order status - does that mean it's shipping soon?
Anyway, 4gamer (Japan) posted a review with various game impressions

http://www.4gamer.net/games/038/G003884/20111105002/

Subjectively, input lag seems to be about 3 frames, so may not be suitable for shooting and fighting games. Looking forward to trying it with Child of Eden.

I hope he's wrong about that lag time. That seems it would make almost any game unplayable. Looking forward to hearing people try it with games.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 3382 Old 11-09-2011, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonmvt View Post

Hi guys. Got my HMZ-T1 today and have had a few hours to play with it. I've read through this thread and the various impressions and thought my $.02 might help someone trying to decide whether or not to purchase.

To start off, I absolutely love the quality of the image. I was concerned that 720p so close to my eyes would show each and every pixel. That's not the case here at all. You can see a structure to the pixels if you take your focus off of the on-screen material and direct your attention to it, but you definitely have to try, and even then they're not easy to spot. It doesn't distract at all. Colors are vivid and bright, black is truly black, and motion is smooth and ghost-free. I'm not sure how well it would pass test patterns and calibration discs, but it was so much better than I expected for what it is, I doubt I'll pursue finding any wrinkles.

The headphones seem decent. They do the job just fine, play loudly and clearly with some level of bass. I'm not someone to crank up headphones, but I find no reason to complain, again given the immersion the entire system is providing. I have heard better applications of surround in headphones before however, but I am more used to the Dolby approach so my ears may just need to 're-learn' the directional clues of Sony's system before I know where the helicopter flying over is without seeing it, so to speak.

But I have to get to the parts that made me post here in the first place, and what I felt varied from what I have read in this thread, to my own experience: The 3D and the fit of the viewer itself.

I currently own 2 3D HDTV's, a 3D PC monitor, a Fuji 3D camera, a 3DS even, and a 3D projector. I've used 3D Blu-ray, gamed in 3D on a pc, a PS3, and an Xbox 360. Been an avid 3D fan and user for years now, experienced several different 3d headsets, and was an extremely early adopter of most of this technology. I have no technical a/v background, but probably have as much as experience as a hobbyist can get with such a thing. So it pains me to say that the 3D on this device is absolutely weak. I can certainly tell when it's in 3D mode, and aside from a few brief moments here and there, it is not impressive at all. I took it through a small tour of some of the 3D PS3 games I have, and it was a little disappointing. Motorstorm Apocalypse, Killzone 3, Mortal Kombat, Tumble, Super Stardust, NBA, The Show, Tron, Crysis 2, - all were very underwhelming. I even tried Motorstorm 3D Rift, which normally can start to make me queasy after 20 minutes, the depth is so intense on my plasma- but not the case here. It did produce the most depth of the bunch, but still nothing that would make you say "wow" like it has in the past. No ghosting at all, which was great, but I would never choose to experience a game in 3d for the first time this way.

The low perception of depth in 3D mode is a definite minus for me, but the deal breaker, and the reason I will probably see how I can return them to Sony, is the way the unit fits on my head. I'm not sure if I have a difficult size or shape to my head, but the fit is so much worse than I imagined. I have been through every adjustment, again each time using each forehead piece, and it's impossible to feel comfortable. It either mashes down so heavy on your nose it hurts, or, it crushes against your forehead so hard it also hurts. This presents another issue related to the fit: There's a definite "sweet spot" to looking through the eye pieces. If you are off to the left, right, top, or bottom, the opposite edge will either become blurry (mostly left to right alignment) or the top or bottom becomes obscured. Something I could deal with if I didn't either feel like I'd been punched in the nose after 15 minutes, or that my head was in a vice grip, or both. It's just not happening for me. Maybe it's partially the weight, although it seems reasonable for what you're getting, and I've had heavier headsets on in the past and not felt like this. So far this has completely soured the entire experience, and if I can't find a solution soon, I will have to move on.

So not to disagree with anyone who has posted already, each of us has their own perspective and opinions. I just wanted to let you know mine, from someone who was literally speeding home to get to play with my new toy, and who is now sitting here typing up an internet forum post instead of enjoying it.

That sucks to hear. Have you tried the trick with the PS3? You basically enter the screen size as being much less then what you are using. I have an RS50 and set the screen size to 30" (I actually have a 110" screen) and the separation was nearly doubled! Huge difference. If I set it to my actual 110" then the 3D has much less separation (less seperation = less depth/pop) I guess the only thing is that you can't measure separation through the HMD because it's two separate images.

I also game on the PC with 3 monitors at a 6080 x1080 res and I'm worried that the HMD won't be even close to the FOV i'm getting at a foot away from the res.
post #93 of 3382 Old 11-09-2011, 06:17 PM

Great feedback Jason. I had a similar issue with the Z800 from Imagin. The ergonomics were difficult for me to get "just right" and keep it that way and ended up selling it. I was hoping this was better. Regarding the 3D "POP", I suspect that the monitor size of the PS3 output needs some tweaking though i am not a real fan of PS3 3D due to aliasing. I had to tweak nvidia monitor size (back in the day when you could actually do so through the drivers) in order to get a good 3d effect. One thing that really helped though was copious amounts of anti-aliasing with a PC. The aliasing present in the PS3 3D really spoils it for me, especially after using a projector with a PC where you can really dial in image quality to your liking. I would love hear some feedback based on a PC input where you have some additional tweaking capabilities (convergence for one, AA is another). Don't give up on it too soon!

Edit: Just read Conan's post and we are thinking alike with the monitor size but i wasn't aware of the tweak he mentioned. Give it a shot and see what it does for you...
post #94 of 3382 Old 11-09-2011, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conan48 View Post

That sucks to hear. Have you tried the trick with the PS3? You basically enter the screen size as being much less then what you are using. I have an RS50 and set the screen size to 30" (I actually have a 110" screen) and the separation was nearly doubled! Huge difference. If I set it to my actual 110" then the 3D has much less separation (less seperation = less depth/pop) I guess the only thing is that you can't measure separation through the HMD because it's two separate images.

I also game on the PC with 3 monitors at a 6080 x1080 res and I'm worried that the HMD won't be even close to the FOV i'm getting at a foot away from the res.

I actually did try. It suggested 76" inches or something close, which I initially tried, and then I switched it down to small as it would go, which is 10" I believe. No difference.

I also have 3 24" screens that I game with from time to time, and no, the FOV is nowhere near. I had read enough of the hands on reports to not expect that I guess, so it wasn't too much of a shock or disappointment though. And before long, you get over wishing for that and start to just enjoy the view as is. It very much has the feeling of looking in to a widescreen viewmaster (if such a thing existed) as far as the way your eyes address the unit, which was a little disappointing at first, but that does go away after a while as well.

I actually do love the device, but I just can't see dealing with the discomfort and strange design choices for fitting it to a (my) head. I will try again tomorrow and see if my feelings improve.
post #95 of 3382 Old 11-09-2011, 06:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 17
An FYI:
Sony HMZ-T1 is compatible with:
My Sony VAIO F 3D computer that has the NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M Video Driver released back in 2/02/2011. Blu-ray 3D's are playing without flaw so far and in 720P 3D while using the Corel WinDVD BD Software it comes with, last update of 6/03/2011.

Paul
post #96 of 3382 Old 11-09-2011, 06:23 PM

Perhaps it is the screen size settings but to me the 3d Is as good as on my mits and acer displays. In addition the brightness makes the image so much more enjoyable. i am also an early adopter of 3d (back to the edimensional days). It looks better than any other display I have ever had. I haven't tried it on my pc yet but gears of war and motor storm and even socom4 (which doesn't have much 3d depth to begin with) looks fine to me

I agree the head mount takes getting used to. I walk around with a red mark on my forehead all the time now.
post #97 of 3382 Old 11-09-2011, 06:35 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Did anyone else get dizzy from wearing these? I think it is because I tend to turn my head to track the action on the screen. I don't know if I can get used to this.
post #98 of 3382 Old 11-09-2011, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo1946 View Post

Perhaps it is the screen size settings but to me the 3d Is as good as on my mits and acer displays. In addition the brightness makes the image so much more enjoyable. i am also an early adopter of 3d (back to the edimensional days). It looks better than any other display I have ever had. I haven't tried it on my pc yet but gears of war and motor storm and even seal team (which doesn't have much 3d depth to begin with) looks fine to me

I agree the head mount takes getting used to. I walk around with a red mark on my forehead all the time now.

I agree that the brightness is incredible, and I was really excited to see zero ghosting. For some reason, there just wasn't the depth there that I'm used to. I feel like my Panasonic VT20 produces much more depth with the same PS3 games, to mention nothing of a pc monitor where I can converge and registry hack depth to the extreme if needed. I was hoping for somewhere in between, or at least as good as the television. Paul's mention of the Nvidia drivers will motivate me to bring the headset in with my PC for some more testing- I was assuming the Nvidia 3d Play drivers would not "play" nice at this point.

I can concede that I've only tested the 3D with my Playstation, so maybe other methods will improve that aspect, but it's that fit that's driving me insane. I had to take it off every 15 or 20 minutes, rub my head or nose for a minute or two, then continue. And it just gets worse as the day goes on.
post #99 of 3382 Old 11-09-2011, 06:40 PM

Mayaman over at MTBS is going to mod the headset with a strap down the middle. That's probably what I'm going to do. This headset might look like a mad science experiment by the time I'm through with it, but it will be comfortable.

I really don't buy into the bad 3D...unless Sony literally has the hardware toning it down within the headset the fault lies at the source. To me it's straight forward common sense. As we like to say, GIGO.

A couple people reported success with the demo models in Sony stores with a screen size change. It is odd the screen size method doesn't work...but I would suggest changing the screen size, powering both devices down and starting them up. It may just be that the handshake in the beginning prevents the change.
post #100 of 3382 Old 11-09-2011, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 205
How would you compare it to gaming on 3 24" monitors? I have 3 Acer 3D monitors and was thinking of getting rid of them and getting three new 27" ASUS with the lightboost tech? Of course going with the monitors will cost me a lot more money, but I wan't the best experience.
post #101 of 3382 Old 11-09-2011, 06:48 PM
Advanced Member

I set the PS3 3D to a 150'' Screen. I'm not sure how much of a difference this makes.

I sit in front of my 73'' screen at 9'. Wearing the HMZ-T1 without light blockers, I can look up and see the 73'' screen for comparison. The HMZ-T1 is at least 100'', just to take a guess. But whatever number you want to put on it, it is absolutely larger than my 73''.

Only drawback is the pixel grid visibility.

-Pie

"The Brothers, they think I don't know a buttload of crap about the Gospel..." -Nacho
Story Bytes - Very Short Stories
http://www.storybytes.com
post #102 of 3382 Old 11-09-2011, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroflux View Post

Mayaman over at MTBS is going to mod the headset with a strap down the middle. That's probably what I'm going to do. This headset might look like a mad science experiment by the time I'm through with it, but it will be comfortable.

I really don't buy into the bad 3D...unless Sony literally has the hardware toning it down within the headset the fault lies at the source. To me it's straight forward common sense. As we like to say, GIGO.

A couple people reported success with the demo models in Sony stores with a screen size change. It is odd the screen size method doesn't work...but I would suggest changing the screen size, powering both devices down and starting them up. It may just be that the handshake in the beginning prevents the change.

Hahah, hey I'm not saying it's "bad", just that it was what I felt was a weak 3D effect, which disappointed me. I had hoped for strong. I'll try to power up and down again see to make sure, but don't take what I'm saying as it's terrible 3d. It's bright, clear, ghost free...and just not strong, but not "bad". I knew the material I tested well, on my 50" and on my projector, so I was let down. Maybe that's the device, maybe that's the source settings, maybe that's simply my expectations. The fit is the real problem.
post #103 of 3382 Old 11-09-2011, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conan48 View Post

How would you compare it to gaming on 3 24" monitors? I have 3 Acer 3D monitors and was thinking of getting rid of them and getting three new 27" ASUS with the lightboost tech? Of course going with the monitors will cost me a lot more money, but I wan't the best experience.

Apples to oranges. I wouldn't go in to this expecting your peripheral vision to be filled with image. It really is like looking at a movie screen from 2/3's of the way back in the theater, or, like looking at 24" Pc monitor from about 1 1/2 to 2' away- sometimes it comes across one way to my eyes, at other times the other. 3 screen gaming scratches a different itch than this, and vice versa, but they will not cover the same ground.
post #104 of 3382 Old 11-09-2011, 07:03 PM
Advanced Member

Hi all,

I have been following this thread eagerly and I am impressed by everyone saying about the picture quality it outputs.

I won't be able to try the unit before buying it, so I have a question for you guys that received yours:
I live in hotel rooms 10 months of the year, around the world (currently in the US); do you guys think the HMZ T-1 will be the best solution for me, to be able to enjoy some PS3 gaming and movies through my MacBook Pro, while on the move?

And...what adapter do I need to be able to hook it up to my MacBook Pro to watch movies?

Thank you for your input.

Emanuele
post #105 of 3382 Old 11-09-2011, 07:06 PM

I just tried it w Nvidia 3dtv play on my pc. Works great through my onkyo. ( cant do direct hook up apparently until drivers are released). Alice madness is great. With convergence adjustment can't get much better. Convergence is a bit tougher to set since I usually cheat and look at the double image. Can't do with this but I can push it far enough to make my eyes cross so i think there is all the adjustment you need on the pc at least.
post #106 of 3382 Old 11-09-2011, 07:53 PM
Advanced Member

Vic, in the other thread, you mentioned testing the Monoprice Switcher. Did it work for you? I am considering this, but it does not mention 3D bandwidth capability.

-Pie

"The Brothers, they think I don't know a buttload of crap about the Gospel..." -Nacho
post #107 of 3382 Old 11-09-2011, 07:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauricef View Post

Did anyone else get dizzy from wearing these? I think it is because I tend to turn my head to track the action on the screen. I don't know if I can get used to this.

After playing Resistence 3, and using the PS3 Sharpshooter. I am pretty immune to "FPS Seasick Syndrome," but Resistence got me. I played GT5 after, but was still dizzy when I started.

Watching Tron in 3D seems fine so far. Well, the animated Jeff Brigdes makes me want to puke, but that's a different issue!

-Pie

post #108 of 3382 Old 11-09-2011, 08:14 PM

How was ps3 Wipeout in 3D? I've been dying to know how it looks.

-=|PlasmaGMR|=-
post #109 of 3382 Old 11-09-2011, 08:16 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonmvt View Post

The low perception of depth in 3D mode is a definite minus for me, but the deal breaker, and the reason I will probably see how I can return them to Sony, is the way the unit fits on my head.

Don't return to Sony. Sell it to me! I don't mind open box if you are willing to ship overseas. Waiting for 360 degree FPS gaming for ages and even have ASUS WAVI ready for wireless gaming.
post #110 of 3382 Old 11-09-2011, 08:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteRabbit2004 View Post

How was ps3 Wipeout in 3D? I've been dying to know how it looks.

I swear I was just coming here to post about it!

It is amazing, nothing short. I watched the race intro loop 3 times.

If there are 3DTVs as good as the HMZ-T1, I'd be surprised. Wipeout HD 3D is absolutely perfect 3D. I demoed it last year on a Bravia, and there's no comparison to the HMZ-T1.

-Pie

post #111 of 3382 Old 11-09-2011, 08:45 PM

any one knows if the ones sold in US by sony will have a voltage selector or an automatic international voltage? 110-240V?
post #112 of 3382 Old 11-09-2011, 08:46 PM

Jason if you wouldn't mind selling it to me either, PM me. I am in the States.
post #113 of 3382 Old 11-09-2011, 08:48 PM

Can anyone confirm lag? I really want to know before i get mine and open it. Only because I will use this mostly to game so if the lag is the same as most TVs then I don't mind but I don't want anything less.
post #114 of 3382 Old 11-09-2011, 08:51 PM

Can anybody else please confirm if the 3D effect is indeed weak? cause that was my biggest fear before purchasing. Any input on the matter is greatly appreciated.
post #115 of 3382 Old 11-09-2011, 08:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by EatingPie View Post

If there are 3DTVs as good as the HMZ-T1, I'd be surprised.

Do you own a 3D?
post #116 of 3382 Old 11-09-2011, 08:54 PM

For those of you in Canada hoping that it will ship tomorrow, I hate to be the bearer of bad news.

It simply won't ship tomorrow.

I called SonyStyle.ca and visited a local store. Both said its officially delayed until the 25th, not one day sooner. It's now the official release date in Canada. The ******** reason they gave me is that they want to release it worldwide at the same time, even though I told them its already out in the US. The clerk even assured me that they'll receive it before the 25th, but have been told explicitly not to sell it before the 25th.
post #117 of 3382 Old 11-09-2011, 09:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samckaz View Post

Can anybody else please confirm if the 3D effect is indeed weak? cause that was my biggest fear before purchasing. Any input on the matter is greatly appreciated.

No it is not "weak" at all. I honestly cannot understand this criticism. It's anything but weak!

I do not own a 3DTV, but I am a "3D enthusiast." As a film critic, I am a major advocate of theatrical 3D when done right; meaning think Dreamworks Animation, who is producing the best 3D out there right now.

I own a beautiful 73'' CRT HDTV and nothing on the market can touch it in terms of IQ, so that has kept me from purchasing a 3D TV. However, I have demoed them many times, including many hours at the Sony Store on multiple occasions, as well as the Pansonic plasmas and the Mitsubishi DLPs.

I know what good 3D looks like. The HMZ-T1 is the best home 3D I've seen. Tron was comparable to the IMAX Theatrical presentation in terms of 3D quality. Though the HMZ-T1 is far harder to position correctly to get a consistent (non-blurry) image all the way to the edges (one of two drawbacks, the other being pixel grid visibility). When positioned right, the 3D is awesome... and Wipeout HD 3D is insane!

-Pie

post #118 of 3382 Old 11-09-2011, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emans View Post

Can anyone confirm lag? I really want to know before i get mine and open it. Only because I will use this mostly to game so if the lag is the same as most TVs then I don't mind but I don't want anything less.

I've put in about an hour into Uncharted 3. No lag.

My initial impression was a bit disappointing. Finding the sweet spot for gaming where everything is in focus is a herculean task. Then there's the pressure on the forehead, which I'm hoping to find a way around with more tweaking. And lastly, the 3D is a bit underwhelming. However, I don't have a lot of source material to compare it to. Just Uncharted and Tangled. I will say that the movie watching experience is almost completely worry-free compared to the gaming, and the only annoyance they share is the pressure of the unit on the face. Other than that, watching movies on this thing is pretty fun. But I bought this mainly for gaming and that part is quite cumbersome overall. I don't have a lot of experience with 3D gaming, but the aliasing and 720p downgrade almost makes it feel like I'm playing on a handheld device. Maybe that's a bit rash, but that's honestly the impression I got. For some reason the gap between 1080p gaming on my HDTV and gaming at 720p on this device versus the movie watching experience is night and day. In other words, watching movies there's almost no quality difference. But with gaming, there is a noticeable one. Now, I realize this is probably just with console gaming, and for you PC gamers this may not be an issue at all.

All that said, I'll be holding onto it because my work sends me out of town often and I think it would be useful at hotels. Although I dread the inevitable inspections this thing will get at airport security!

Anyway, I hope this made sense. I don't want this to sound like a rant, because I actually like this thing - it just has a lot of issues. Right now the weight of the device on my face is the biggest disadvantage. And those darn blinders! They fall off constantly...
post #119 of 3382 Old 11-09-2011, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatingPie View Post

No it is not "weak" at all. I honestly cannot understand this criticism. It's anything but weak!

I do not own a 3DTV, but I am a "3D enthusiast." As a film critic, I am a major advocate of theatrical 3D when done right; meaning think Dreamworks Animation, who is producing the best 3D out there right now.

I own a beautiful 73'' CRT HDTV and nothing on the market can touch it in terms of IQ, so that has kept me from purchasing a 3D TV. However, I have demoed them many times, including many hours at the Sony Store on multiple occasions, as well as the Pansonic plasmas and the Mitsubishi DLPs.

I know what good 3D looks like. The HMZ-T1 is the best home 3D I've seen. Tron was comparable to the IMAX Theatrical presentation in terms of 3D quality. Though the HMZ-T1 is far harder to position correctly to get a consistent (non-blurry) image all the way to the edges (one of two drawbacks, the other being pixel grid visibility). When positioned right, the 3D is awesome... and Wipeout HD 3D is insane!

-Pie

I'll have to download Wipeout and give it a shot.
post #120 of 3382 Old 11-09-2011, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stracenska View Post

I've put in about an hour into Uncharted 3. No lag....

Have you played it laying down (Like the guy on the commercial, I want that chair!)with your head on a few pillows and maybe slightly loosening the straps?
Reply 3D Displays

Tags
3d Hdtv

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page