Sony HMZ-T1 HMD Owner's dedicated thread - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #121 of 3382 Old 11-09-2011, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Chronoptimist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,557
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 203
For people complaining about "weak" 3D... is it possible that it's simply a more "natural" 3D and less in-your-face because the separate screens are adjusted for proper convergence with your eyes, and you are viewing a screen that is 65ft away, rather than one that is 10ft or less?

I'm also curious about the PS3 screen size option, I assume the main reason for it being there is to set up convergence.



Has anyone had a chance to check for panning smoothness with 24p, and black level in a dark room yet?

I'm wondering if that "10,000:1" contrast is either a mistake, or perhaps it is "10,000:1 plus off" (so the minimum luminance step above black is 0.02cd/m2)
Chronoptimist is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #122 of 3382 Old 11-09-2011, 09:30 PM
Member
 
emans's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 91
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronoptimist View Post

For people complaining about "weak" 3D... is it possible that it's simply a more "natural" 3D and less in-your-face because the separate screens are adjusted for proper convergence with your eyes, and you are viewing a screen that is 65ft away, rather than one that is 10ft or less?

I'm also curious about the PS3 screen size option, I assume the main reason for it being there is to set up convergence.

Yeah I think Sony should let us know what the best setting is, just because they make both devices. As of right now I think 150" is the best bet.
emans is offline  
post #123 of 3382 Old 11-09-2011, 09:35 PM
Member
 
axdenied's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by stracenska View Post

I've put in about an hour into Uncharted 3. No lag.

My initial impression was a bit disappointing. Finding the sweet spot for gaming where everything is in focus is a herculean task. Then there's the pressure on the forehead, which I'm hoping to find a way around with more tweaking. And lastly, the 3D is a bit underwhelming. However, I don't have a lot of source material to compare it to. Just Uncharted and Tangled. I will say that the movie watching experience is almost completely worry-free compared to the gaming, and the only annoyance they share is the pressure of the unit on the face. Other than that, watching movies on this thing is pretty fun. But I bought this mainly for gaming and that part is quite cumbersome overall. I don't have a lot of experience with 3D gaming, but the aliasing and 720p downgrade almost makes it feel like I'm playing on a handheld device. Maybe that's a bit rash, but that's honestly the impression I got. For some reason the gap between 1080p gaming on my HDTV and gaming at 720p on this device versus the movie watching experience is night and day. In other words, watching movies there's almost no quality difference. But with gaming, there is a noticeable one. Now, I realize this is probably just with console gaming, and for you PC gamers this may not be an issue at all.

All that said, I'll be holding onto it because my work sends me out of town often and I think it would be useful at hotels. Although I dread the inevitable inspections this thing will get at airport security!

Anyway, I hope this made sense. I don't want this to sound like a rant, because I actually like this thing - it just has a lot of issues. Right now the weight of the device on my face is the biggest disadvantage. And those darn blinders! They fall off constantly...

3D gaming on consoles is pure garbage most of the time, from personal experience. From what I understand, the PS3 does not have the necessary horsepower to handle most 3D games at 720p, let alone 1080p. As such, the resolution for most games is severaly cut down, resulting in heavy aliasing and garbage image quality.

Killzone 3 in 3D looks like a PS2 game, for instance.

Just my two cents.
axdenied is offline  
post #124 of 3382 Old 11-09-2011, 09:50 PM
Member
 
emans's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 91
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by axdenied View Post

3D gaming on consoles is pure garbage. From what I understand, the PS3 does not have the necessary horsepower to handle 3D at 720p, let alone 1080p. As such, the resolution for most games is severaly cut down, resulting in heavy aliasing and garbage image quality.

Killzone 3 in 3D looks like a PS2 game, for instance.

Just my two cents.

I remember not liking the 3d demo for Killzone 3. I always thought it was my passive tv to blame for the low graphic qualities.

If you haven't tried, gt5, uncharted or resistance 3 in 3d then I could see why you think this way.
emans is offline  
post #125 of 3382 Old 11-09-2011, 09:51 PM
Advanced Member
 
nickoakdl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 937
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronoptimist View Post

is it possible that it's simply a more "natural" 3D and less in-your-face because the separate screens are adjusted for proper convergence with your eyes, and you are viewing a screen that is 65ft away, rather than one that is 10ft or less?

You know it's like, 5 inches, and not 65 ft, right?
nickoakdl is offline  
post #126 of 3382 Old 11-09-2011, 09:55 PM
Member
 
emans's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 91
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickoakdl View Post

You know it's like, 5 inches, and not 65 ft, right?

You need glasses if your near sighted its like 65 ft, and not 5 inches , right?
emans is offline  
post #127 of 3382 Old 11-09-2011, 09:56 PM
Member
 
axdenied's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by emans View Post

I remember not liking the 3d demo for Killzone 3. I always thought it was my passive tv to blame for the low graphic qualities.

If you haven't tried, gt5, uncharted or resistance 3 in 3d then I could see why you think this way.

I'm glad to hear that, I'll definitely try these games then. My only experience with 3D on the PS3 has been Killzone 3 and by reading about it online from user comments.
axdenied is offline  
post #128 of 3382 Old 11-09-2011, 10:02 PM
Member
 
emans's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 91
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by axdenied View Post

I'm glad to hear that, I'll definitely try these games then. My only experience with 3D on the PS3 has been Killzone 3 and by reading about it online from user comments.

Uncharted 3 is probably the best 3d game I've played. I don't doubt that 3D looks better on PCs though. Im curious to see how feel TrackiR works. I haven't gamed on my PC since UT3, now that i think of it I remember reading about 3D for the game way back then.
emans is offline  
post #129 of 3382 Old 11-09-2011, 10:03 PM
Advanced Member
 
EatingPie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 583
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by axdenied View Post

3D gaming on consoles is pure garbage most of the time, from personal experience. From what I understand, the PS3 does not have the necessary horsepower to handle most 3D games at 720p, let alone 1080p. As such, the resolution for most games is severaly cut down, resulting in heavy aliasing and garbage image quality.

Killzone 3 in 3D looks like a PS2 game, for instance.

Just my two cents.

I don't have PC games to compare to, but I've already made my feelings clear about the intense 3D experience of Wipeout (I'll add smooth frame rate too!). Resistence 3 had good 3D as well, and I didn't notice any frame issues except in -- believe it or not -- cut scenes! And GT5 was flawless... except for me sucking.

So either PC gaming is a 3D wonderland, or your info on PS3 3D gaming is pretty far off the mark.

-Pie

"The Brothers, they think I don't know a buttload of crap about the Gospel..." -Nacho
Story Bytes - Very Short Stories
http://www.storybytes.com
EatingPie is offline  
post #130 of 3382 Old 11-09-2011, 10:15 PM
Advanced Member
 
EatingPie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 583
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by stracenska View Post

I've put in about an hour into Uncharted 3. No lag.

My initial impression was a bit disappointing. Finding the sweet spot for gaming where everything is in focus is a herculean task....Just Uncharted and Tangled.

Agreed on the sweet spot.

Just a note on Tangled. Disney and Pixar are not producing that great of 3D quality. I refer to it as "incidental." It's there, but you can take it or leave it (and given ticket prices, I say leave it and go 2D). As I mentioned previously, Dreamworks rules the roost in 3D theatrical. So if you were underwhelmed by Tangled it was the movie rather than the device.

Interestingly, I really thought Tron had great 3D (after I just dissed Disney!). Though I put that in the "live action" category, and that requires a different standard all together. Tron has the best "live" 3D I've ever seen, with the fly-thru of the city in the opening scene (for all I know it was entirely CG!). It has a lot of great 3D moments, and you can bet they are the dark scenes heavy on computer graphics!

Anyway, I just want to warn people up-front that Disney and Pixar animation isn't great 3D. So don't be disappointed in the HMZ-T1 when you're underwhelmed by, say, Toy Story or Cars 2 in 3D... blame the content, not the hardware.

-Pie

"The Brothers, they think I don't know a buttload of crap about the Gospel..." -Nacho
Story Bytes - Very Short Stories
http://www.storybytes.com
EatingPie is offline  
post #131 of 3382 Old 11-09-2011, 10:16 PM
Advanced Member
 
EatingPie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 583
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone get Head Tracking to work in GT5 with the Playstation Eye camera?

I set up the camera in-game, but I didn't see where to enable head tracking.

-Pie

"The Brothers, they think I don't know a buttload of crap about the Gospel..." -Nacho
Story Bytes - Very Short Stories
http://www.storybytes.com
EatingPie is offline  
post #132 of 3382 Old 11-09-2011, 10:23 PM
Member
 
emans's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 91
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by EatingPie View Post

Anyone get Head Tracking to work in GT5 with the Playstation Eye camera?

I set up the camera in-game, but I didn't see where to enable head tracking.

-Pie

It only works for arcade mode and not career. Let me know how it is!

I watched Captain America in 3D the other day and was impressed with all the "pop" they got in that movie.
emans is offline  
post #133 of 3382 Old 11-09-2011, 10:26 PM
Member
 
CloudVII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 66
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
^Found this via quick Google on GT5 Head Tracking.

Good luck. Let us know how well it works with the HMD.
CloudVII is offline  
post #134 of 3382 Old 11-09-2011, 10:30 PM
Member
 
emans's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 91
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudVII View Post

^Found this via quick Google on GT5 Head Tracking.

Good luck. Let us know how well it works with the HMD.

Lol no, I just play the game and had the camera at one point.

Incase your saying thats where I got it from.
emans is offline  
post #135 of 3382 Old 11-09-2011, 10:38 PM
Member
 
axdenied's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by EatingPie View Post

I don't have PC games to compare to, but I've already made my feelings clear about the intense 3D experience of Wipeout (I'll add smooth frame rate too!). Resistence 3 had good 3D as well, and I didn't notice any frame issues except in -- believe it or not -- cut scenes! And GT5 was flawless... except for me sucking.

So either PC gaming is a 3D wonderland, or your info on PS3 3D gaming is pretty far off the mark.

-Pie

Thanks for the reply. I do intend on trying Wipeout and Uncharted.

Still, you should try Killzone 3, you'll understand my comment. Word of warning, you'll be severely disappointed. The resolution IS much lower than in 2D. Just search online, its mentioned everywhere. The system just can't handle Killzone 3 at 720p in 3D.

As for PC gaming in 3D, yes, it's quite good.
axdenied is offline  
post #136 of 3382 Old 11-09-2011, 10:41 PM
Senior Member
 
Samckaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 202
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
And thank you Pie for your reassuring answer regarding 3D depth. Getting mine tomorrow and I'm hoping to be pleased with the 3D cause that was the main reason I bought it.
Samckaz is offline  
post #137 of 3382 Old 11-09-2011, 11:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
conan48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Igloo
Posts: 2,118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by axdenied View Post

For those of you in Canada hoping that it will ship tomorrow, I hate to be the bearer of bad news.

It simply won't ship tomorrow.

I called SonyStyle.ca and visited a local store. Both said its officially delayed until the 25th, not one day sooner. It's now the official release date in Canada. The ******** reason they gave me is that they want to release it worldwide at the same time, even though I told them its already out in the US. The clerk even assured me that they'll receive it before the 25th, but have been told explicitly not to sell it before the 25th.

I feel your pain. It's funny how Sony can get this much foul language out of people.

I flipped out on the CSR, (even though it's not really his fault) when he told me that BS. He actually said that my order was ready to ship since last thursday, but because of "marketing" they won't ship until the 25th. LOL. Some BS about a "worldwide" launch. Even though it's out in the states and Japan is getting it the 11th and Europe sometime next week. I guess Canada exists in the twilight zone. LOL. Can't help but laugh anymore and now with some of the feedback I'm thinking of just cancelling my order and saying FU to Sony. I think I'd rather just get my three 27" monitors for some 3D surround gaming.

The smarmy Bitch from Sony Canada who is the Manager and leaving her stupid ass messages (global demand, according to her is why we don't have it in Canada, even though I know for a FACT that it's in Whitby Ontario in a warehouse just sitting there) name is Linda. Call sonystyle and ask for Linda the manager and tell her to go **** herself. LOL

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post21189587
conan48 is online now  
post #138 of 3382 Old 11-09-2011, 11:17 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Orta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,570
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonmvt View Post

I currently own 2 3D HDTV's, a 3D PC monitor, a Fuji 3D camera, a 3DS even, and a 3D projector. I've used 3D Blu-ray, gamed in 3D on a pc, a PS3, and an Xbox 360. Been an avid 3D fan and user for years now, experienced several different 3d headsets, and was an extremely early adopter of most of this technology. I have no technical a/v background, but probably have as much as experience as a hobbyist can get with such a thing. So it pains me to say that the 3D on this device is absolutely weak.

It's surprising that you would be disappointed with the 3D and prefer your other displays. It seems like even weak 3D would trump the enormous loss of light output, color/WB shifts, and image killing amounts of crosstalk you experience with more standard 3D displays (especially at the amounts of depth you're referring to).
Orta is offline  
post #139 of 3382 Old 11-09-2011, 11:49 PM
Member
 
stracenska's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by EatingPie View Post

Agreed on the sweet spot.

Just a note on Tangled. Disney and Pixar are not producing that great of 3D quality. I refer to it as "incidental." It's there, but you can take it or leave it (and given ticket prices, I say leave it and go 2D). As I mentioned previously, Dreamworks rules the roost in 3D theatrical. So if you were underwhelmed by Tangled it was the movie rather than the device.

Interestingly, I really thought Tron had great 3D (after I just dissed Disney!). Though I put that in the "live action" category, and that requires a different standard all together. Tron has the best "live" 3D I've ever seen, with the fly-thru of the city in the opening scene (for all I know it was entirely CG!). It has a lot of great 3D moments, and you can bet they are the dark scenes heavy on computer graphics!

Anyway, I just want to warn people up-front that Disney and Pixar animation isn't great 3D. So don't be disappointed in the HMZ-T1 when you're underwhelmed by, say, Toy Story or Cars 2 in 3D... blame the content, not the hardware.

-Pie

Okay I went back in fresh after needing to get rid of the initial headache and played some more of Tangled and downloaded Wipeout. Things are more positive overall!

1. I completely overlooked the "top" headstrap adjustment. I'd only been adjusting the back and sides (and forehead pads). That being said, I still haven't found a style that doesn't add unneeded pressure, but it has alleviated this problem I was having of needing to tilt the headset downward to see things in focus. This thing sure takes a lot of tinkering and I'm somewhat hopeful that by this weekend I'll find a comfortable setting for the straps that doesn't make it feel like I have rock sitting on my forehead after 30 minutes.

2. 3D... Okay watched more of Tangled and downloaded Wipeout. The headset does actually seem to shine when given the proper material to work with. The lantern floating scene in Tangled was simply awesome and Wipeout is a great example of 3D gaming where the resolution doesn't look last gen. I'm definitely changing my opinion of the 3D being "underwhelming". I need to get more material. Although I do stand by my initial criticism of Uncharted 3 being seriously downgraded in quality in 3D to the point where it is difficult to play at times.

3. Of some concern, I noticed that scenes featuring heavy bass during Tangled were causing static in the headphones (at a moderate level), rather unpleasantly. I hope this was just a fluke as I didn't notice it during Uncharted which has tons of explosions. I'm going to monitor this more closely. Could also just be mine or just something about the movie.
stracenska is offline  
post #140 of 3382 Old 11-09-2011, 11:52 PM
Member
 
stracenska's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by EatingPie View Post

Anyone get Head Tracking to work in GT5 with the Playstation Eye camera?

I set up the camera in-game, but I didn't see where to enable head tracking.

-Pie

I had no idea about this!!
stracenska is offline  
post #141 of 3382 Old 11-09-2011, 11:55 PM
Senior Member
 
PoisonWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 279
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Take a chill pill man. There is no need to Q.Q this much over a product and not getting it on time.

If you're pissed and want to cancel, go right ahead. I'm sure someone else would be just as happy to get your box. Who knows when Canada will get another shipment of these HMDs again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by conan48 View Post

I feel your pain. It's funny how Sony can get this much foul language out of people.

I flipped out on the CSR, (even though it's not really his fault) when he told me that BS. He actually said that my order was ready to ship since last thursday, but because of "marketing" they won't ship until the 25th. LOL. Some BS about a "worldwide" launch. Even though it's out in the states and Japan is getting it the 11th and Europe sometime next week. I guess Canada exists in the twilight zone. LOL. Can't help but laugh anymore and now with some of the feedback I'm thinking of just cancelling my order and saying FU to Sony. I think I'd rather just get my three 27" monitors for some 3D surround gaming.

The smarmy Bitch from Sony Canada who is the Manager and leaving her stupid ass messages (global demand, according to her is why we don't have it in Canada, even though I know for a FACT that it's in Whitby Ontario in a warehouse just sitting there) name is Linda. Call sonystyle and ask for Linda the manager and tell her to go **** herself. LOL

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post21189587

PoisonWolf is offline  
post #142 of 3382 Old 11-10-2011, 01:32 AM
Advanced Member
 
nickoakdl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 937
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by conan48 View Post


I feel your pain. It's funny how Sony can get this much foul language out of people.

I flipped out on the CSR, (even though it's not really his fault) when he told me that BS. He actually said that my order was ready to ship since last thursday, but because of "marketing" they won't ship until the 25th. LOL. Some BS about a "worldwide" launch. Even though it's out in the states and Japan is getting it the 11th and Europe sometime next week. I guess Canada exists in the twilight zone. LOL. Can't help but laugh anymore and now with some of the feedback I'm thinking of just cancelling my order and saying FU to Sony. I think I'd rather just get my three 27" monitors for some 3D surround gaming.

The smarmy Bitch from Sony Canada who is the Manager and leaving her stupid ass messages (global demand, according to her is why we don't have it in Canada, even though I know for a FACT that it's in Whitby Ontario in a warehouse just sitting there) name is Linda. Call sonystyle and ask for Linda the manager and tell her to go **** herself. LOL

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post21189587

I wish I was as cool as you. Unfortunately my time is burdened by things in life; like friends, a girlfriend, and work. If only my mom did my laundry, I could then find the time to harrass those pesants.
nickoakdl is offline  
post #143 of 3382 Old 11-10-2011, 03:49 AM
Senior Member
 
Samckaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 202
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronoptimist View Post

For people complaining about "weak" 3D... is it possible that it's simply a more "natural" 3D and less in-your-face because the separate screens are adjusted for proper convergence

This reminds me of the man with the 400 lb wife where he says "my wife is not fat at all, she's just big boned" listen I own a Sony 52HX909 3D LED TV and have a vast collection of 3D blu-rays, when I'm getting the HMD I will test it and compare it to the TV and Ill report back. There most be some truth to this particular complaint since so many people noticed and said the same thing.
Samckaz is offline  
post #144 of 3382 Old 11-10-2011, 04:05 AM
Member
 
Midnight Tboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
can someone please tell me the approximate length of the cable that runs between the headset and the processor unit?
Midnight Tboy is offline  
post #145 of 3382 Old 11-10-2011, 04:07 AM
Member
 
WhiteRabbit2004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just an FYI, Wipeout 3D has some amazing depth on my 63" Samsung, so I assumed it would look awesome with the HMZ. Just be sure to get the PSN download version only, as the disk version is non-3d. Another good 3d depth game on my Sammy is Super Stardust HD. I am going to be testing my HMZ with many pc games when it arrives and will post details.

-=|PlasmaGMR|=-
WhiteRabbit2004 is offline  
post #146 of 3382 Old 11-10-2011, 04:14 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Chronoptimist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,557
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samckaz View Post

This reminds me of the man with the 400 lb wife where he says "my wife is not fat at all, she's just big boned" listen I own a Sony 52HX909 3D LED TV and have a vast collection of 3D blu-rays, when I'm getting the HMD I will test it and compare it to the TV and Ill report back. There most be some truth to this particular complaint since so many people noticed and said the same thing.

It's funny you say that, I have a HX900 too. One of the biggest problems I have with it is that pre-baked 3D content (Blu-ray etc.) seems like it was made for someone with a wider pupillary distance from me, which causes the 3D to stand out unnaturally.

With the HMZ-T1 having its own adjustment, I can't imagine that being the case?

With PC gaming you have full control over how 3D is rendered (GT5 is the only PS3 game I've played with similar controlswhich are set to give minimum depth by default) and so with it custom-tailored to my vision, I have more depth to the image but it is more natural and doesn't make itself as obviously "3D" in the same way you don't spend all day walking around the real world looking at everything and going "Wow, look at how three dimensional everything is!"

Because you have one image per eye and images are displayed simultaneously, rather than being sent to one eye at a time, your brain is working differently and you're looking at a natural image rather than going "Wow, 3D!"which is how 3D is supposed to work.

At least that would be my guess. There's no other reason why 3D should be rendered with less depthif anything it should be more with the lack of crosstalk, it's just that it won't force itself upon you in a way that your brain goes "Hey, 3D!"

It's not like there is some kind of image processing it isn't doing, or is doing differently, with pre-baked content such as film, it is simply two pictures to be displayed, nothing more or less.
Chronoptimist is offline  
post #147 of 3382 Old 11-10-2011, 04:18 AM
Member
 
emans's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 91
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronoptimist View Post

It's funny you say that, I have a HX900 too. One of the biggest problems I have with it is that pre-baked 3D content (Blu-ray etc.) seems like it was made for someone with a wider pupillary distance from me, which causes the 3D to stand out unnaturally.

With the HMZ-T1 having its own adjustment, I can't imagine that being the case?

With PC gaming you have full control over how 3D is rendered (GT5 is the only PS3 game I've played with similar controlswhich are set to give minimum depth by default) and so with it custom-tailored to my vision, I have more depth to the image but it is more natural and doesn't make itself as obviously "3D" in the same way you don't spend all day walking around the real world looking at everything and going "Wow, look at how three dimensional everything is!"

Because you have one image per eye and images are displayed simultaneously, rather than being sent to one eye at a time, your brain is working differently and you're looking at a natural image rather than going "Wow, 3D!"which is how 3D is supposed to work.

At least that would be my guess. There's no other reason why 3D should be rendered with less depthif anything it should be more with the lack of crosstalk, it's just that it won't force itself upon you in a way that your brain goes "Hey, 3D!"

It's not like there is some kind of image processing it isn't doing, or is doing differently, with pre-baked content such as film, it is simply two pictures to be displayed, nothing more or less.

Do you mind giving me some good settings for GT5?
emans is offline  
post #148 of 3382 Old 11-10-2011, 04:48 AM
Senior Member
 
Samckaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 202
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
@ Chronoptimist: Interesting analogy. But isn't the main attraction of the whole IMAX thing that the Dolphin swims right into your face? Isn't 3D ALL about popout?
Please explain.
Samckaz is offline  
post #149 of 3382 Old 11-10-2011, 05:43 AM
Member
 
Andy_H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Schaumburg, Illinois
Posts: 102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronoptimist View Post

It's funny you say that, I have a HX900 too. One of the biggest problems I have with it is that pre-baked 3D content (Blu-ray etc.) seems like it was made for someone with a wider pupillary distance from me, which causes the 3D to stand out unnaturally.

With the HMZ-T1 having its own adjustment, I can't imagine that being the case?

I'm not sure about that. The fact that you perceive 3d content to be made for someone with a wider pupillary distance is likely due to the distance between the two cameras (at least for non-cgi) used to shoot the picture. No adjustment in the HMZ-T1 will change the fact that your right eye will get an image that is X number of inches from the image show to your left eye if the perceived distance is imbedded in the content. Changing the eyepiece width won't change the view each eye receives (think binoculars).
Andy_H is offline  
post #150 of 3382 Old 11-10-2011, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Chronoptimist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,557
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samckaz View Post

@ Chronoptimist: Interesting analogy. But isn't the main attraction of the whole IMAX thing that the Dolphin swims right into your face? Isn't 3D ALL about popout?
Please explain.

Not at all for me. 3D is about adding depth to the image.

Pop-out 3D just looks like a diorama to me. Natural 3D that adds depth makes me believe I'm in the scene.

I'm not saying that there shouldn't be depth there, but it shouldn't hit you in the facethe real world doesn't do that, why should 3D cinema? That's the kind of 3D that you see in all those garbage films they've been putting out recently where 3D is the only reason anyone would go and see them.

Honestly though, while I'm interested in 3D with this, it's the 45 degree FOV OLED screens that I'm most excited about. You won't be seeing OLED flat panels that will give you that kind of experience for a number of years, and certainly nowhere near this price. (probably at least 10x)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_H View Post

Changing the eyepiece width won't change the view each eye receives (think binoculars).

With binoculars, you are looking through lenses at the world, with the HMZ-T1, you are looking at screens in a fixed position. Isn't that exactly what the pupilary distance sliders on the bottom are for?

Pre-baked 2D content is low on my priority list though (at least, it is after being consistently underwhelmed with it on my HX900) PC gaming where you can set things up to suit your preferences will be the primary use for me.
Chronoptimist is offline  
Reply 3D Displays

Tags
3d Hdtv

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off