Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 3382 Old 11-10-2011, 06:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samckaz View Post

@ Chronoptimist: Interesting analogy. But isn't the main attraction of the whole IMAX thing that the Dolphin swims right into your face? Isn't 3D ALL about popout?
Please explain.

?? No.. 3d is not about pop out. It's more about depth and volume to me. Pop out is nice now and then but not the main course.

Also I agree that the perception of weak 3d by some may be a function of the technology and what people are accustom to. For example, there is no perceptible screen boundary where 3d stops and other references like screen edges give a "wow it's 3d" effect. It is more natural. My tests w Nvidia 3dtv play show the exact same image, depth, convergence on the Sony as on my Mitsubishi 82. There is NO weakening technically that I can see.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 3382 Old 11-10-2011, 06:22 AM

This sounds a lot like a debate when someone realizes what true bass sounds like and not boomy over the top bass. People will often tell you that the bass is extremely weak, when in actuality it's exactly where it's supposed to be. It just seems weak because you've been listening to bloated bass forever. It sounds like a preference vs reference thing.

Not calling anyone out as I don't have one yet, so I don't know. I'm just saying that this could be the case.
post #153 of 3382 Old 11-10-2011, 06:31 AM

Also, what about 2d gaming. I know that's not really the purpose, but maybe the IQ would be pretty awesome.
post #154 of 3382 Old 11-10-2011, 06:32 AM

Someone should have mentioned it by now, most 3D Blu-Rays are designed with a timid audience in mind. I plan on buying a 3D Blu-Ray player that allows you to adjust the convergence and bring out or subdue 3D content.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIMS View Post

This sounds a lot like a debate when someone realizes what true bass sounds like and not boomy over the top bass. People will often tell you that the bass is extremely weak, when in actuality it's exactly where it's supposed to be. It just seems weak because you've been listening to bloated bass forever. It sounds like a preference vs reference thing.

Not calling anyone out as I don't have one yet, so I don't know. I'm just saying that this could be the case.

I plan on using some IEMs first, but will most likely rely on the subwoofer of my surround sound system for bass delivery. It does concern me that the headphones would get distortion over their volume range...but these are a secondary element to the headset.
post #155 of 3382 Old 11-10-2011, 06:34 AM
Advanced Member

I'd like to understand if the product is really awesome as some are saying?

What about IQ? Is it really that good?

I live in hotel rooms 10 months of the year, all over the world, and the HMZ will allow me to enjoy some PS3 gaming and movie watching as if I was in my house...

any comments?

Thank you,
e.
post #156 of 3382 Old 11-10-2011, 06:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The big picture View Post

blizaine,
Did you use a Windows 7 PC with it yet ?
I guess text would still be the same as your screen shots of the Mac desktop right ?

Yes. I have Parallels installed w/ Win 7 and it looks great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emans View Post

Can anyone confirm lag? I really want to know before i get mine and open it. Only because I will use this mostly to game so if the lag is the same as most TVs then I don't mind but I don't want anything less.

I didn't notice any lag whatsoever. I can usually test this pretty easily with Active Reloading in Gears of War. If you have any lag, you'll miss the reload sweet-spot. One time my 60" Sony LCD/Edge-LED I had motion flow turn on and I couldn't hit an active reload at all until I turned it off. With the HMZ, I was hitting the Active Reload every time last night. It felt very responsive.

I had some time to play with the HMZ last night. I watched about 30 min of several 3D movies and did some gaming.

I watched IMAX Under the Sea 3D and it was amazing. I have to take back my previous comments about not having a lot of 3D "pop". There where a few times I jumped when a fish would snap up it's prey. And the water snakes seemed to be swimming out in front of the screen. The depth and color was beautiful. It felt like you were under water.

I watched Captain America 3D for a few minutes and thought it looked amazing. I almost couldn't turn it off.

I also watch the first 10 min of Dark Knight (not 3d). It was so captivating that I had a hard time turning it off as well. You really do feel like you are in a movie theater. It's very strange because I could see how some people might think the screen seems close enough to touch, but it's almost like you are able to also tell your brain that it's far away and then it seems far away.

Also I'm near sighted and I can view a computer monitor without glassed/contacts. I can NOT view the HMZ without contacts or glasses. It's a blurry as it would be in a theater. So for me it's pretty convincing.

I also played Gears of War 3 in 3D last night for about about 2 hours. The 3D in that game is amazing. Yes it takes a bit of a rez hit, but it still has great shadows, texture, lighting, and depth. It's totally worth the rez hit. I wonder if the folks that are saying that console 3D gaming is unplayable, have passive 3D TV's? If so, you would be cutting your rez in a quarter rather than half because the game cuts out half vertically for 720p SBS, and the TV cuts out half horizontally to produce passive 3D. correct?

The only draw back at this point is the longterm comfort. After about 1.5 hrs it started hurting my forehead and your first reaction is to just adjust it a bit to take the pressure off, but you really can't because of the focus sweet spot.
post #157 of 3382 Old 11-10-2011, 06:47 AM

Just been in contact with stoneaudio here in the UK who are taking preorders saying "expected in a few weeks" They've now been advised to expect stock in 'early 2010'

Also my sister, who lives in Singapore, her partner has contacted sony there for me who have also said they dont have a date yet and expect early 2012
post #158 of 3382 Old 11-10-2011, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by full fin View Post

Can this be used with a headset for xbox live?

How can you just do gears of war on single player?!?

I don't think anyone answered this, can someone chime in?

Thanks!
post #159 of 3382 Old 11-10-2011, 06:58 AM

"I watched IMAX Under the Sea 3D and it was amazing. I have to take back my previous comments about not having a lot of 3D "pop". There where a few times I jumped when a fish would snap up it's prey. And the water snakes seemed to be swimming out in front of the screen. The depth and color was beautiful. It felt like you were under water"

Man I would have given you a hug:-) now I'm excited again to rush home and try it out. (it was delivered this morning when I was already at work)
post #160 of 3382 Old 11-10-2011, 07:02 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by blizaine View Post

I watched IMAX Under the Sea 3D and it was amazing. I have to take back my previous comments about not having a lot of 3D "pop". There where a few times I jumped when a fish would snap up it's prey. And the water snakes seemed to be swimming out in front of the screen. The depth and color was beautiful. It felt like you were under water.

Thx. This is exactly what I was looking for.

Enjoying Nissan Leaf as the primary car for over 6 months : MyNissanLeaf.com
post #161 of 3382 Old 11-10-2011, 07:06 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronoptimist View Post

Not at all for me. 3D is about adding depth to the image.

Pop-out 3D just looks like a diorama to me. Natural 3D that adds depth makes me believe I'm in the scene.

I'm not saying that there shouldn't be depth there, but it shouldn't hit you in the facethe real world doesn't do that, why should 3D cinema? That's the kind of 3D that you see in all those garbage films they've been putting out recently where 3D is the only reason anyone would go and see them.

Not really. Real world streatches infront of your eyes - in real world these isn't just black near you and after some 20' - you start seeing stuff. If they are showing a beach or sea shot, you want the sand/water to start right before your eyes and stretch all the way till your eyes can see.

That is why I ask people to checkout IMAX movies like Under the Sea or the Tahiti Ultimate Waves.

To me Pop-out is when the image isn't limited to depth "behind" the screen - but in front as well.

Enjoying Nissan Leaf as the primary car for over 6 months : MyNissanLeaf.com
post #162 of 3382 Old 11-10-2011, 07:16 AM

Evnow thanks for your post. I was trying to say that front popout IS CRITICAL! But I couldn't express it as brilliantly as you did
Cheers
post #163 of 3382 Old 11-10-2011, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by full fin View Post

Can this be used with a headset for xbox live?

Kind of. What I've done, is I wear the xbox headset around my neck and point the mic up to my mouth. I then go into the settings on the xbox and tell it to have voice chat come out both the headset and the speakers. When you do this, it mixes the live chat with the game audio so you hear both on the HMZ headphones. I think you can do the same on the PS3 but I haven't tried it on mine yet.
post #164 of 3382 Old 11-10-2011, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickoakdl View Post

I wish I was as cool as you. Unfortunately my time is burdened by things in life; like friends, a girlfriend, and work. If only my mom did my laundry, I could then find the time to harrass those pesants.

You need to free yourself of those burdens, and find your true self.
post #165 of 3382 Old 11-10-2011, 08:00 AM

blizane thats a good idea about the mic. hopefully they come out with a real solution soon.

Guess I can sell my turtle beach 7.1 surround headphones now.
post #166 of 3382 Old 11-10-2011, 08:34 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Tboy View Post

Just been in contact with stoneaudio here in the UK who are taking preorders saying "expected in a few weeks" They've now been advised to expect stock in 'early 2010'

I'm guessing you mean 2012.

Hmmm. I ordered with them about 3 weeks ago for the saving and when I asked a few days ago they didn't have a clue when stock was arriving. Did they mean for anyone ordering now, or for everyone who has already ordered?

Thanks.
post #167 of 3382 Old 11-10-2011, 08:45 AM

Oops yes 2012 lol

I went onto the Live Chat there. Took quite a few tries to get someone other side to start the chat window thing.

Asked them if it would be a UK model or an import, and if they had a firmer date on when they were expected in.

They told me it would be a UK model (good). Then said that "they have been advised that they should now expect stock in early 2012". Pretty much verbatim. It didn't imply that all 'current orders have been allocated' or anything like that, then just said about the current price will not last for long, and that if preorder at this price they will honor the price when it does come in whenever that may be (well stating the obvious there - trying to persuade me to order anyway)

Not sure what to do now, really wanted one of these for my main xmas present (especially as everyone had been stuck at what to get me )....but looks like theres a likelyhood us brits may now be stuck without until the new year.....and the Sony website doesnt have any solid date listed either.

I take it the guys here that have received theres have ordered them directly from the Sony US site and in the Sony stores in the US
post #168 of 3382 Old 11-10-2011, 08:47 AM

Anyone tried Skyrim (PC edition) yet? That game is just begging to be experienced with a VR headset like this one. My dream is that someone hacks in full TrackIR support for it too. That would be amazing
post #169 of 3382 Old 11-10-2011, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Although Sony insists dead or stuck pixels aren't considered a defect, I'm still curious if these units have any. Has anyone tried using dedicated test pattern software to deduce this? This is useful because often such dead/stuck pixels can be sometimes overlooked on most material for months, but with dedicated patterns of certain colors they are much easier to spot, right off the bat, especially in the automatic time cycle mode offered here:

This test software is currently free, by the way, and I highly recommend its use with all new monitors, regardless of technology.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

post #170 of 3382 Old 11-10-2011, 09:07 AM

Quote:

Not sure what to do now, really wanted one of these for my main xmas present (especially as everyone had been stuck at what to get me )....but looks like theres a likelyhood us brits may now be stuck without until the new year.....and the Sony website doesnt have any solid date listed either.

There have been some who pre-ordered with Sony centres for £50 less than the Sony online price. If I was guaranteed one in the first batch I'd buy from the Sony centre, but trouble is there is so little info and the rumour of only 250 coming into the country that it seems the best way is to buy at full-price with Sony online.

You could always order with Sony online and give it a week or two then cancel your order with Sony if no stock is forthcoming. (I'm assuming you wouldn't lose any deposit - You wouldn't, I just checked, but they do take the full amount immediately).

I guess we need someone with a Sony voucher code to PM us!

EDIT: I'm just off the phone to Sony, and the guy told me they will definitely be released here in the UK in the last week of November. Previously they had been told the middle, but he says he is certain of this timeframe now. Make of that what you will.

I also just gave Harrod's a call. They say their original pre-order stock is about to arrive "imminently". However it is very small and pre-ordering today wouldn't get me one of those. The next batch, he said, will arrive in December, but before Christmas.
post #171 of 3382 Old 11-10-2011, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

can someone please tell me the approximate length of the cable that runs between the headset and the processor unit?

I would like an answer to this question too. I am concerned that since my stereo rack is a good distance from my seating position, the cable may not be long enough to reach. I had to get an extension cable for my AKG headphones as the included cable was not able to span the distance.

By the way, is this a proprietary cable? I wasn't certain if it was simply an HDMI cable (which seems unlikely since it would have to provide power as well). What would my options be for extending the reach?
post #172 of 3382 Old 11-10-2011, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_H View Post

I would like an answer to this question too. I am concerned that since my stereo rack is a good distance from my seating position, the cable may not be long enough to reach. I had to get an extension cable for my AKG headphones as the included cable was not able to span the distance.

By the way, is this a proprietary cable? I wasn't certain if it was simply an HDMI cable (which seems unlikely since it would have to provide power as well). What would my options be for extending the reach?

I measure exactly 11ft. A little short since my tv/equipment stand is about 10 ft way from my preferred seat in my home theater. The wire does not seem detachable at the headset end so an extension may be the only answer. Seems to be a special hdmi plug at the other end which does plug into the transfer box. Need to research whether an extension is available with this plug type.

As is I need to put the processor box on the floor in front of my tv. Not good
post #173 of 3382 Old 11-10-2011, 10:01 AM

Has there been any word on when dealers (avs, amazon, ect.) will be able to get product?
post #174 of 3382 Old 11-10-2011, 10:28 AM

So I had a chat with a member of TrackIR. We took a look at the HMZ and found it to work very well. He is stopping by today with a new camera IR emitter to try a few things. The HMZ seems designed to hold the TrackIR clip. I will have pics when I get the new camera.

Also, using the driver hack to whitelist the HMZ on nVidia's 3D Vision drivers worked well. I was up and running in no time.

Lastly, I haven't tried using it on my monoprice splitter since I spent most of my time with TrackIR last night. I imagine it will fail on 2D sets, but work fine on my 3D set.

On a final note, I let a guy try out the HMZ who has lots of experience with HMDs. He has tested many units, even for the military. None of them held a candle to this device. The optics, FOV, clarity, weight, all spot on. Sounds like he was interested in the HMZ for sure.

Input lag, none to be found.

Form factor, make the straps as loose as possible and slide / snap them to your head. I had a lot of people trying out yesterday and this was by far the best way.
post #175 of 3382 Old 11-10-2011, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Hi Viper,

How was the PC gaming? I know you can get a much stronger 3D effect from PC games as you can control the depth and convergeance. Can you get a good pop out effect with PC games?

Also, you should look into the registry hack to allow much more depth and convergence. Go to the 3D vision forums for info on how to do it. I used to have a batch file for it but can't find it anymore. My Acer 5360 had no where near the depth and pop it should have. After the hack, I could set it to the point where my eyes were completely crossed.

For the Canadians. I sent an email to the head of Sony Canada and hopefully we won't be waiting until the 25th for some made up world wide release as Europe is getting units shipped today also.

I did confirm again with a Sony rep that units are in stock at Whitby and just being held there. Anything else they are spewing is a bunch of BS. There are over 250 units for Sonystyle.ca orders (pretty much everyone and then some) sitting in a warehouse. LOL. I will post the response I get from Sony in this thread.

To those **** wads who keep saying to calm down, there are people starving in Africa, etc. STFU. I can be excited for a product if I want (haven't been this excited for any tech for many years) and I'm not a person that camps out for iphones, or goes out at midnight for games, etc. But I think this product is revolutionary and it's really annoying when you are being told a multitude of lies from every facet of Sony Canada, and there is NO REASON for it. There is no shortage and NO GLOBAL launch.

I would bet all my money that we will get our orders shipped tomorrow or Monday.
post #176 of 3382 Old 11-10-2011, 10:56 AM

Hi guys, I'm new on this forum, but I'm very interested to buy the Hmz-t1

I found something very interesting: there's a pc software capable to do facial recognition with the ps-eye :It's called FaceTrack noIR

and also there's the ps-eye drivers as well :CL Eye driver

With this we can do the trackIR stuff without spending a lot of money...
I know that the software works only with the face, but it could be very interesting if they add hmz support.

there's an example video on youtube : search for :FaceTrack NOIR + Ps3 Eye + rFactor
Cool eh??

ps: sorry, it's my first post, so I can't put links in my reply...
post #177 of 3382 Old 11-10-2011, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conan48 View Post

Hi Viper,

How was the PC gaming? I know you can get a much stronger 3D effect from PC games as you can control the depth and convergeance. Can you get a good pop out effect with PC games?

Also, you should look into the registry hack to allow much more depth and convergence. Go to the 3D vision forums for info on how to do it. I used to have a batch file for it but can't find it anymore. My Acer 5360 had no where near the depth and pop it should have. After the hack, I could set it to the point where my eyes were completely crossed.

There was plenty of depth with the default controls. No problems in that field
post #178 of 3382 Old 11-10-2011, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conan48 View Post

Hi Viper,

For the Canadians. I sent an email to the head of Sony Canada and hopefully we won't be waiting until the 25th for some made up world wide release as Europe is getting units shipped today also.

I did confirm again with a Sony rep that units are in stock at Whitby and just being held there. Anything else they are spewing is a bunch of BS. There are over 250 units for Sonystyle.ca orders (pretty much everyone and then some) sitting in a warehouse. LOL. I will post the response I get from Sony in this thread.

To those **** wads who keep saying to calm down, there are people starving in Africa, etc. STFU. I can be excited for a product if I want (haven't been this excited for any tech for many years) and I'm not a person that camps out for iphones, or goes out at midnight for games, etc. But I think this product is revolutionary and it's really annoying when you are being told a multitude of lies from every facet of Sony Canada, and there is NO REASON for it. There is no shortage and NO GLOBAL launch.

I would bet all my money that we will get our orders shipped tomorrow or Monday.

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=212298

Bookmarked that the other day in anticipation. Think that's what you're talking about.
post #179 of 3382 Old 11-10-2011, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBob1971 View Post

I'm guessing you mean 2012.

Hmmm. I ordered with them about 3 weeks ago for the saving and when I asked a few days ago they didn't have a clue when stock was arriving. Did they mean for anyone ordering now, or for everyone who has already ordered?

That's standard operating practice for them. They take your money, claiming everything is in stock when it's anything but, and have you hanging on.

You will get it eventually, but I wouldn't count on getting it soon.
post #180 of 3382 Old 11-10-2011, 11:29 AM

To be fair to StoneAudio try have never once claimed it was in stock, at least to me.
Reply 3D Displays

Tags
3d Hdtv

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page