Sony HMZ-T1 HMD Owner's dedicated thread - Page 73 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-15-2012, 08:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
hi guy,

please share the video menu setting for the hmz that u guy used for 2d and 3d viewing.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2012, 01:22 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Well finally got it today and as others have stated the picture quality is excellent.

Fitting, thats another situation.

I have a question - where should the nose piece be situated on your nose? Mine is on the tip to get any comfort at all which makes it very uncomfortable.

Also, from the pictures shown of people wearing this unit it appears as if it fits snugly around the face. I am finding that to get a decent picture it has to be well away from my face (hence nose problem) and this means I can see a lot of periphery light.

All-in-all a superb unit and I am sure that once I sort out the fitting it will approach perfection.
Old 03-16-2012, 05:13 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
@sirhc55, when properly fitted the unit should not rest on your nose at all.

Did you try out the different forehead pad sizes? I found that I got a lot of forehead pain when using my HMZ-T1 with the forehead pad cushions that came with the unit. I replaced the cushion pads that came with the unit with a piece of foam from a bike helmet and that made the unit much more comfortable for me. The unit really is a joy to use when you find a way to make it comfortable.

Note: be careful while you are experimenting with getting the fit right. I broke the lower rear strap on mine. I used a staple and black electrical tape to put it back together and hopefully that will hold it.
Old 03-16-2012, 05:57 AM

My modded Sony HMZ T1

Attachment 240629

Attachment 240630
LL
LL
Old 03-16-2012, 06:00 AM

Hi Just a quick question for people, I'm trying to set my expectations accordingly, I'm currently waiting for my HMZ pre-ordered since 01 Feb, delivered next week hopefully, longest i ever waited for a gadget.

My adolescent prospect is for my own little cinema gaming reality with a Head tracking for PC Games.

I currently own a 50inch Pioneer and an Acer 27inch 3d Monitor, The HMZ is meant to be an alternative for 3D Gaming instead of my Monitor, Anyone have any experience if this thing is going to be better than a 27inch Monitor, I'm looking for scale more than cross talk? the only reason i ask is because i normally sit Arms length from my monitor so i'm assuming i have a pretty high FOV (Pure Guess no science).

How does the optic illusion seem when it comes to scale, The reason i ask is because if i stand closer to my 50inch, the result is not desirable its larger but not like when im at the pictures.

Also has anybody actually managed to get a good fit as standard without some modification ? i wouldn't run the same question past my wife but I don't think i have a big head , The only mod i was hoping to do is the Wii Strap.

Its a shame UK did not have any units to test but i have jumped the gun and suspect as the date is getting closer i have set my expectations a little to high.
Old 03-16-2012, 07:33 AM

Excuse the pun but thanks for the heads up acegamer. They say that patience is a virtue so I will try some before having my head reshaped.
Old 03-16-2012, 07:55 AM

skynetstudio - that's really nice! actually that was my idea, i posted it several pages before..
how much did you spend on it? how did you mount it? please share more pictures and a video!

if anyone is still looking for HMZ-T1, this store claims to have it in stock now.
http://factoryprices.nl/product_info...Multimediabril

shop is located in netherlands, so people that lives nearby can jump in!
Old 03-16-2012, 09:20 AM

I am trying to find a way to set the Sony to use the side by side stereo setting without the use of the interface on the Sony HMD itself.

I poked around this forum a little bit, but after 70+ pages ... sorry if this has been asked already.

The idea goes like this, my company used the Z800 for awhile now but we want to switch to the Sony HMD. One of the problems is that every time you turn off the Sony and turn it back on, it doesn't keep the stereo settings we had previously set up. We are looking for a way to do this automatically via driver or calls from c++ code or from a batch file.

[Edit:] For more info we are running on a PC using windows 7 with a NVIDIA GTX 570 card.

Thanks
Old 03-16-2012, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

The best way I can describe it is this. I sit 10-11 feet back from my 106" projector screen. If I put the hmz on while sitting in the same seat, and i lift my head to look at the screen, the hmz screen seems larger -- about 150". However, if I set 2 feet back from my 40" tv, I can actually make the hmz seem smaller because when I lift my head up the tv looks larger.

The difference is that when the hmz is on, there is no "distance" between you and the picture. If there were, the picture would appear smaller. Describing this is a bit weird, but if you were sitting in a theater, where the screen fills your vision, you can look down to get perspective of how far away the screen is -- with the hmz, you cant look down or up.. it's as if you cant move your face away from the center of the screen to get any true perspective as to how big the theater is - all you know is that it fills your vision and even moving your eyeballs does not allow you to NOT see part of the screen....

To me it does not have the same effect as getting close to a screen because there is nothing blocking your eyes from seeing around it. With this your eyes are are somewhat restricted and it gives an immersive experience.

Some people may feel different though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb1bsc View Post

How does the optic illusion seem when it comes to scale, The reason i ask is because if i stand closer to my 50inch, the result is not desirable its larger but not like when im at the pictures.

Lex Luthor, Ruler of Australia, activate the machine!
Old 03-16-2012, 10:34 AM

VRZach - I have GTX 580, and when I connect HMZ it's always "3D Enabled". If I want to play side by side movies, I'm using stereoscopic player - it gives better resolution of the movie, as each screen is being delivered with 1280x720 image, instead of 640x720 stretched.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Got my Blazin3D comfort pads 2 day they look well made.. perfect timed vs the sony hmz-1 that im expecting middel to late next week
Old 03-16-2012, 02:36 PM

Hi

Thanks for the description, This was a good way of highlight the scale i was getting worried i'm going see a tiny image in the background, someone described it as looking through a camcorder viewfinder, That got me thinking i might have expected to much lol, i started remembering the days when i had to shove my eye in my old Panasonic camcorders view finder, it never looked liked a 150 inch screen in those days

I think i can rest easy and continue the long wait

Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumlad View Post

The best way I can describe it is this. I sit 10-11 feet back from my 106" projector screen. If I put the hmz on while sitting in the same seat, and i lift my head to look at the screen, the hmz screen seems larger -- about 150". However, if I set 2 feet back from my 40" tv, I can actually make the hmz seem smaller because when I lift my head up the tv looks larger.

The difference is that when the hmz is on, there is no "distance" between you and the picture. If there were, the picture would appear smaller. Describing this is a bit weird, but if you were sitting in a theater, where the screen fills your vision, you can look down to get perspective of how far away the screen is -- with the hmz, you cant look down or up.. it's as if you cant move your face away from the center of the screen to get any true perspective as to how big the theater is - all you know is that it fills your vision and even moving your eyeballs does not allow you to NOT see part of the screen....

To me it does not have the same effect as getting close to a screen because there is nothing blocking your eyes from seeing around it. With this your eyes are are somewhat restricted and it gives an immersive experience.

Some people may feel different though...

Old 03-16-2012, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 160
my hmz-1 just been confirmed shipped woop woop
Old 03-16-2012, 10:37 PM

I did this little experiment in my mind with the HMZ on. I pretended I had a baseball in my hand and that I had to hit the bottom right corner of the screen with that baseball. How hard would I have to throw it? To me it felt like about a 30 foot throw straight and maybe 10 feet down. That tells me that my eyes are focusing pretty far away. Now maybe you can put a 40" tv screen 2 feet away from your face and get the same FOV....but your eyes know the difference. It's all about how far away they are focusing that gives you that "big" feeling.

This definitely feels like you are sitting in the middle of a movie theater. I actually kind of wish they would make an IMAX version of this. I think 3D is more immersive when it takes over your whole FOV. I have a 130" projection screen in my living room that I enjoy about the same as going to a regular theater. But when I go to an IMAX 3D screening I get this real WOW feeling that I havent been able to duplicate at home....not with my projector or the HMZ.
Old 03-17-2012, 03:36 AM

@Skynetstudio

First original mod for the HMZ ive seen in some time.

One hell of a contraption! Do you have to keep your head in the same position all through viewing or does your "arm" allow for movement? I'm also guessing that head tracking would be a no no with this set up as it doesn't appear to allow for head rotation?

How are you finding the HMZ in terms of comfort now?
Old 03-17-2012, 09:12 AM
Advanced Member

yes the HMZ-T1 screen size feels like sitting in the middle of a theater to me also. It is especially effective with 2.35 ratio movies because the width of the screen is such that I feel like I have to move my eyes to see the far edge of the screen in focus.
Old 03-17-2012, 09:04 PM

just want to share my experience playing wipeout hd in ps3. After setting my sony hmz to near D65 gamma 2.2 (Setting share by my friend) and started playing wipeout hd and it shock me that how damn real is this games as it feel like i am inside vehicle itself and racing which i could not get this feeling when playing on my samsung led tv and in 1 of the racing track the background setting is like i am in tron world and man first time in my life i feel like i am jack in to a tron or matrix like world, so i would like to say thanks to sony effort for giving me this kind of gaming like experience that i could not get anywhere else and will not doubt to buy a update version of the hmz device.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:46 PM

Finally i picked up my HMZ-T1 after three and a half month's wait. The mall where the shop is has a steak house. Gonna treat myself to a t-bone to celebrate and then head home to start testing it.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:51 PM
Advanced Member

im selling mine. bought couple months ago. works great. its awesome for 3D movies and gaming just looks so surreal but i just dont have time to play with it anymore and need the money. PM me if you are interested.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:29 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Old 03-20-2012, 11:15 AM

Nice to watch - you have an amazing setup! One thing, if it ain't first person it ain't "VR".

I'm working on a real first person view mod for Skyrim. One where you move your head to look down and you see your body. Ups the imersion ten fold. Check out the Skyrim nexus, hopefully the original dev of the "the real 1st person view" mod should be uploading my files soon for all to enjoy.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:05 PM

After reading all posts in this thread I would like to try this HMZ.
Any readers here from Belgium and do you know a store that has a HMZ demo available.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:45 PM

how i can set up the hmz-t1 on the ps3 ? becuse i use it on batman but no 3d
and also are there a way to make it play 3d from the laptop ?
Old 03-20-2012, 06:17 PM

You may need to make your PS3 re-detect your display. Once it's done that the 3D options should be available in the options menu. If you can, play batman on the PC, 3D on the PS3 version sucked (my opinion), it was the final nail in my PS3's coffin. 3D on the PC is sooo much better! Depth......
Old 03-20-2012, 08:33 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cylonsurfer View Post

Nice to watch - you have an amazing setup! One thing, if it ain't first person it ain't "VR".

I'm working on a real first person view mod for Skyrim. One where you move your head to look down and you see your body. Ups the imersion ten fold. Check out the Skyrim nexus, hopefully the original dev of the "the real 1st person view" mod should be uploading my files soon for all to enjoy.

Great. I'm looking forward to your Skyrim mod. Currently the setup is usable for FPS and Skyrim. You can check out COD:MW2 and Skyrim VR I posted earlier.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaulcu View Post

Good day,
The head gear is a generic welding mask replacement. Any welding supplier will have it. I removed the 6 screws 3 each side holding the Sony straps. I completely removed the clip on fore head pad. Use hot glue or silicon glue to affix the front. These types of glues are removable with effort should you need to have your unit serviced. A tie wraps just above the ear phones on either side secures the rest of the head gear to the hmd. I can’t tell you how great this works for me and the few I have had test if for me. Give it a go. You won’t be sorry.

Hi cpaulcu

May I ask you a couple of questions? Which 3 screws on each side do you mean. There are (right at the end) 2 one above the other and then as you go down towards the screens there are 2 more screws one then a little further on the other one. OK figured this one out.

Also when you say you completely removed the forehead pad is there an easy way to do this?

Many thanks
Old 03-21-2012, 02:17 AM

Old 03-21-2012, 04:05 AM
Advanced Member

Has anyone figured out how to power this off a battery?
Old 03-21-2012, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjyap View Post

Great. I'm looking forward to your Skyrim mod. Currently the setup is usable for FPS and Skyrim. You can check out COD:MW2 and Skyrim VR I posted earlier.

It's still only "mouse emulation" for head tracking I'm afraid. Being able to look down and see a body rather than the "floating cam with arms" is nice mind. hopefully the files will be up soon.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugueness View Post

Has anyone figured out how to power this off a battery?

Not sure anyone is seriously looking into this. You'd need some pretty heavy duty modding to make it stabalized on your head enough for movement to warrant running it off a battery.

Tags
3d Hdtv