post #2342 of 3382 Old 04-06-2012, 10:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by treewizard100 View Post

You only get blurry corners with a helmet mod if you leave one of the original forehead pads on. I have posted several times stating that with my helmet mod I have 100% comfort, total clarity of vision, great sweet spot and is fully reversible. All I did was fit the welders helmet support using two cable ties. Then attached front pad of support to forehead plate (no original pad). Then cut off the back part of the support where the adjustable ratchet is. Then I attached 1/2" wide elastic to each side so is completely adjustable. If anyone wants pics let me know.

Yes, I'd like to see pics. Especially pics on how you get it to attach to the forehead plate.. i.e. my main problem is that I wasn't sure how to get the helmet kit to actually stay attached to the hmz without moving around...

Lex Luthor, Ruler of Australia, activate the machine!
post #2343 of 3382 Old 04-06-2012, 10:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul H View Post

Played the blu-ray extended version of Rango using the 14:45 marker setting where he is in a pipe, his tail sticking out and it's twilight time.. As stated above, the shadow detail is superb in the dark atmosphere and both individual screens on the HMD show identical images mirroring 2D on each other. There are no visual problematic artifacts noted in the entire nighttime scene segment. Also I additionally viewed the same marked place using 3D conversion software and with the aspect change there was still no variation artifacts found.

Paul

What settings do you use?

post #2344 of 3382 Old 04-07-2012, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norman_dc View Post

Hi guys, it's great to finally find a place where people talk about the way they are using their HMZ. I'm now hanging it above my bed. It's really comfortable for me to watch movies or play games while lying down with HMZ-T1 on, even for several hours. I also removed the earphone that come with it and use my HD650 instead. The total experience is just amazing. The only thing that annoying me now is that switching between 3D content and 2D content is so complicate. I really hope Sony could add a button that quickly toggle between 2D and 3D according to your settings. Anybody have the same feeling? Or do you have a better way to solve it?

I just have an idea. Since the 3D player can send a signal to HMZ to toggle between 3D and 2D, we should also be able to write some code to send that signal and bind the code to a hotkey. Thus we could easily switch without touching the menu. Anyone have an idea about the signal?
post #2345 of 3382 Old 04-07-2012, 04:40 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

Played the blu-ray extended version of Rango using the 14:45 marker setting where he is in a pipe, his tail sticking out and it's twilight time.. As stated above, the shadow detail is superb in the dark atmosphere and both individual screens on the HMD show identical images mirroring 2D on each other. There are no visual problematic artifacts noted in the entire nighttime scene segment. Also I additionally viewed the same marked place using 3D conversion software and with the aspect change there was still no variation artifacts found.

Paul

Thanks for the update. Looks like some unit suffer from the left/right imbalance gamma for dark scene.
post #2346 of 3382 Old 04-07-2012, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjyap View Post

Thanks for the update. Looks like some unit suffer from the left/right imbalance gamma for dark scene.

I´ve discovered that the imbalace is also visible in the "Welcome!" splash screen, where there is a depiction of the lens adjust sliders. In this picture, the darker lowermost semicircle is displayed even darker in the left screen.
This obviously rules out a problem in the source.

This can be tested closing each eye in turn and, even though the difference here is very slight, it can be useful to quickly detect if there are more units with the same issue.

It would be great if more HMZ owners could make this simple test to have a better idea of how widespread is this.
post #2347 of 3382 Old 04-07-2012, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
For those that had trouble with the download I posted before, or can't burn to a BD disc. Here is a Youtube video you can use.

This is for the HMZ and shows off my new extreme depth and some popout with my movie coming out this summer. The depth is pretty extreme and looks good on the HMZ so enjoy guys! Hope no ones afraid of heights!

Another one of my movies coming out soon you can check out as well,

3D items I own:

Sony 46" LX900 active 3D set

Sony HMZ-T3 (Cushion pads and light blocker mod)

LG LW6500 passive 3D set

PS3 & PS4

Sony BDP-S570 BD3D player

JVC-GS-TD1 (with Cyclopital base extender)

Fujifilm W3

Sony Alpha 55 (for 3D panoramic photos)

Quadcopter + Zenmuse and GoPro Hero 3 (Filming...

post #2348 of 3382 Old 04-07-2012, 10:57 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumlad View Post

What settings do you use?

I'm putting my flame threads on.

It is important as to what I visually experience, and the key to a successful vibrant, pristine image is the Micro-pixel structure of the OLEDs of the HMZ, which can capably produce a comparably sharp (extremely lifelike) blemish-free atmospheric picture; AND with zero observable artifacts. By using "normally" unconventional settings that are never used on a calibrated direct-view display like my 65" VT25 plasma, I am experiencing equally satisfying, intensely lifelike results with my Blu-ray 3D media collection. The OLEDs produce superior blacks and also render exceptional shadow-detail information.

With the above said, here are my simple "Display" settings where they work on my production model of the HMZ:

Display:
Choose "VIVID"
Next: "Reset" to factory DEFAULT settings.
Next: Change "Color Temperature" to "Warm 2".
Next: Change "Sharpness" to +6 (Maximum).

That's it.

Despite the reasons why this is not done on contemporary displays, it seems the Micro pixel technology prevents problematic artifacts at a visually noticeable size while emanating sharp, natural, color-vibrant satisfying perception.

Paul
post #2349 of 3382 Old 04-07-2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:

Yes, I'd like to see pics. Especially pics on how you get it to attach to the forehead plate.. i.e. my main problem is that I wasn't sure how to get the helmet kit to actually stay attached to the hmz without moving around...

Ok np I will take some more pics and post them tomorrow. I use self adhesive Velcro to secure to forehead plate. It will become clear when you see pics. The whole unit is attached to the welders support using just two cable ties and the Velcro. Totally secure.
post #2350 of 3382 Old 04-07-2012, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 162
I always use cold on colour temp warm looks not natural at all
post #2351 of 3382 Old 04-07-2012, 02:58 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaktmestern View Post

I always use cold on colour temp warm looks not natural at all

Cinema lighting standards for projectors has been traditionally set at 6500K and is why Xenon bulbs are so popular for use in movie projectors. IMO, "Warm 2" is the closest temperature when trying to match for color accuracy in films for film-sources authored on Blu-ray disc. It is also why warm is the default for "cinema" mode for the film standard on all displays.

Paul
post #2352 of 3382 Old 04-08-2012, 02:41 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindw0rk2 View Post

Biggest and simpliest improvement for HMZ-T1 comfort is to cut out rubber from one of forehead pads and stick in a piece of foam instead. 3 minutes of work saves hours of pain.

Also add additional upper band (easiest way is to use velcro) to lower weight on the front. Cover bands with fleece and HMZ-T1 becomes almost perfect

That's practically the same thing I did but there's no need to cut the pad as the glue gives way easy if you use some pressure , that way it is still in one piece .
The only change I made was using the vivid setting in color , I felt warm and warm 2 are too yellow for my taste .
Also 5000 K is warm white , 6500 K is neutral day light and about 8000 K is a blue sky .
I have several aquariums with different lights temps for coral growth .
post #2353 of 3382 Old 04-08-2012, 04:53 AM

Hey guys, I am now an official and proud owner of this sweet toy, it's actually a funny story.

I am at the moment vacationing with my wife in Tokyo and while checking out one of the billion electronics store here, I saw the HMZ for the first time and my jaw dropped.

You see, a couple of years back, before the whole 3d craze, I invested in a home theater room with a 65 inch lcd etc. Then all the 3d started happening and I felt pretty bad because I knew I wasnt going to fork out for a new tv and I was stuck with that one until it got old, so these things are my only option of watching anything in 3D at the moment, which are quite the life savers for me.

The funny thing is that every single store in tokyo (yodobashi, softmap, laox, etc.) is sold out and they say you need to preorder and it will get there in a few months... which I thought was crazy, not finding something tech related in tokyo... so I went into a KFC to eat and after I was done I put my phone out, went into amazon.com and ordered it to my house.... yeah, I liked it THAT much. so I am not an owner yet but soon

I have a question though, is this thing discontinued or getting discontinued? I know these type of devices tend to get the axe as they are just novelty items and God knows Sony puts out plenty of those.

I saw this comment from a guy in canada.

"is is what I did ask Sony Customer Support: How can I buy this personal 3D viewer in Canada? Website says "Out of stock" and local (Kelowna) Sony store refuses to take an order. Please advise. This is what I got as an answer: We regret to inform you that the HMZT1 has been discontinued and will not be restocked as our Personal 3D Viewer was a limited time product. What is going on? Where can I buyt it then? "

What do you guys think that is all about?

I also have another questin about the setup I plan to have, just to make sure it'll work out.

I currently have my whole setup (which is the ps3, xbox 360, wii, direcetv, etc.) connected to a pioneer amp and that amp sends the video output to my lcd screen. I was wondering if I can connect it the same way to my headset, simply switch when I want to see it on tv or on my headset and just change the source in my amp (for example ps3 or directv) and the apropiate 3d content will be shown on the headset. Or will that interfere with the 3d signal and it would be better if I connected it directly to the device I plan to use? For example, the PS3 or the DirecTV DVR?

Thanks
post #2354 of 3382 Old 04-08-2012, 05:45 AM

Kuhne , i ordered mine back in Oct and cancelled it shortly afterward as Stone audio had it for sale a lot cheaper , My local Sony store phone me up to find out why i cancelled the order , told them why and his response was that these will only be available online for the time being and may not hit the high street as these were never intended for sale in the first place . Stone audio never got any stock so i reordered mine from Sony in Jan and got it a little over 3 weeks ago . personally I dont think these will hit the shops as they need more work to make them more confortable . I personally think its a fantstic devise and clearly lots of others do , the lenghs people on here have gone to to get a better fit tells its own story .
I am still playing around with mine and as people have said it take time to get the good setup and time to get use to this being on your head , i had a friend round to try it the other day and i changed from the large pad to the medium pad for him and later when i put it back on with the medium pad still on i found it was much better , now i tried the medium pad in the past and it was not suitable , i am finding that over time i am becoming more flexable with it so i think its worth even if you think you have the best fit to start fresh and try changing things around Also as time goes on i am find the sweet spot very easy now and am also able to have this on for longer as i get more use to it. Anyway Kuhne I wish you all the best with yours.
post #2355 of 3382 Old 04-09-2012, 12:47 AM

Somebody needs to make 15 minutes clip fitting the best 3D scenes from different movies for aweing friends with HMZ-T1 3D. Like those with big fish at 20 minute mark of Under the Sea, or jungle scene from Avatar where Neytiri first sees Jake. Any of you guys are good at video editing?
post #2356 of 3382 Old 04-09-2012, 09:59 AM

I know how to video edit, even did that for a while for money a few years back, I wouldn't mind doing a video like that. I'd need to get my HMZ first though... Amazon has them as "shipping soon"... damn, I need them now!!!!

London olympics are going to be on 3D on some directv channels, thats gona rule.
post #2357 of 3382 Old 04-10-2012, 12:02 AM

BBC will be doing olympics in 3d , not sure at this stage how much , but I do know they are going to make this a big event with 42 red button channels .
post #2358 of 3382 Old 04-10-2012, 05:08 AM

Hi!

I just want to share with you a little trick that made all the difference for me concerning the comfort-issue with this device. I just use a simple runners beanie under the device. It´s slim enough to fit under easily, breathable and soft. The device sits firmly and keeps picture in focus. Also i removed the forheadpad-cushion and put a band between foreheadpad and centerstrap so it takes weight of your nose. I can now use the device without discomfort. (finally!)
post #2359 of 3382 Old 04-10-2012, 09:05 AM

Man I can't wait, amazon checked the status of my order to "Shipped" you have no idea how excited I am, the amazon vendor had listed only two in stock, so I expected to get an email saying they ran out or something but it shipped!
post #2360 of 3382 Old 04-10-2012, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the info.. I'll try out your settings

Have you run a calibration disc to make sure you're not crushing any blacks?

Quote:

I'm putting my flame threads on.

Display:
Choose "VIVID"
Next: "Reset" to factory DEFAULT settings.
Next: Change "Color Temperature" to "Warm 2".
Next: Change "Sharpness" to +6 (Maximum).

That's it.

Despite the reasons why this is not done on contemporary displays, it seems the Micro pixel technology prevents problematic artifacts at a visually noticeable size while emanating sharp, natural, color-vibrant satisfying perception.

Paul

post #2361 of 3382 Old 04-10-2012, 08:17 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Thanks for the info.. I'll try out your settings

Have you run a calibration disc to make sure you're not crushing any blacks?

When using Digital Video Essentials HD Basics Blu-ray disc which has the advanced 720P test patterns, I can't see any crushing of blacks and have come to really appreciate the OLED screen technology and also the excellent factory default settings the HMZ-T1 comes with.

Paul
post #2362 of 3382 Old 04-10-2012, 08:37 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

When using Digital Video Essentials HD Basics Blu-ray disc which has the advanced 720P test patterns, I can't see any crushing of blacks and have come to really appreciate the OLED screen technology and also the excellent factory default settings the HMZ-T1 comes with.

Paul

how would you describe the sound quality from hmz-t1 headphones?
first few weeks were really terrible in my opinion, but due the time maybe my ears got used to or headphones got 'heated up' but now they sound so much better.. still, for 800$ product i was expecting better sound quality.

logitech g35 is way better than this.
post #2363 of 3382 Old 04-10-2012, 09:00 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kixpress View Post

how would you describe the sound quality from hmz-t1 headphones?

They are very good for the price, considering I
have paid that much just for a pair of quality headphones in past years.
post #2364 of 3382 Old 04-10-2012, 09:07 PM

hi guy,

what the best software player to play those side by side or top and bottom movie files to used on my sony hmz-t1 device.

Thanks
post #2365 of 3382 Old 04-10-2012, 09:32 PM

i am using ati 7750 graphic card currently and AMD control center panel do not have any 3d depth can be adjusted which is not really great for playing 3d movies while i think nvidia 3d vision did have 3d depth can be easily adjusted.
post #2366 of 3382 Old 04-10-2012, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squall12 View Post

hi guy,

what the best software player to play those side by side or top and bottom movie files to used on my sony hmz-t1 device.

Thanks

The Nvidia 3D vision video player didn't work for me, so I use a free software called sView (http://sview.ru/en/download)
post #2367 of 3382 Old 04-11-2012, 12:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Paul

I tried your settings.. If you go from cinema to normal to vivid (with your settings), you can see a bit more saturation each step of the way, but colors look pretty much the same... Vivid with warm 2 isn't bad at all...

A few notes: I turn off mosquito noise reduction and block frame reduction There is one setting called Contrast Remaster -- not really sure what it does... the description is not very helpful. Any idea?

I also set the display area to be -1 because it does overscan otherwise.

post #2368 of 3382 Old 04-11-2012, 08:51 AM

Dumb question for all of you out there.

One problem I've constantly come across from reviewers of this device is that it only has one hdmi port but I've also read it has a passtrhough port, so you technicaly shouldn't lose any connections.

My question is this. (I asked it before but I probably didn't word it correctly and it got lost in all the more interesting posts in this thread)

My current set up is, I have my PS3, my DirecTV, my Wii, XBox and Media Center PC, all connected to my panasonic amp, which in turn is connected to my tv. My panasonic amp only has one HDMI output port, which obviously, is the one connected to my tv. And it has a bunch of input ports, which are the ones that have the media center pc, directv, sky and ps3. Component ports for xbox 360 and Wii.

I still havent recieved my HMZ yet but I am wondering, since it has a pass through port, will I be able to simply disconect the HDMI cable from my tv and connect it instead to the HMZ and be able to switch from source to source with my amp and have everything work perfectly on my HMZ? and at the same time, will I be able to use the passthrough port to be able to connect it to my tv again, so I will have everything connected perfectly and not have to plug and unplug every time I want to choose a device?

I hope I could explain myself correctly.

Thanks.
post #2369 of 3382 Old 04-11-2012, 09:12 AM

I have an Onkyo 609 , that my ps3 , freeview , freesat , blu ray and pc connect too , so the answer is yes , connect the tv out port to the HMZ in port and then connect the HMZ out port to your tv , when the HMZ is turn on its out putted to the HMZ , when it is turned off it goes back to your tv .
post #2370 of 3382 Old 04-11-2012, 09:41 AM

Excelent! That's just what I wanted to hear, then it should fit in to my tv room without a problem. I wasn't sure if I should connect it near my bed (for when the wife is asleep) but if I do that then I would just have access to the content on my desktop. If I have it on the tv room I would have access to all the devices mentioned, plus its better to lock myself in the tv room and lie down in the couch and put a towel or something over my head to get complete darkness. (its what I used to do with a headset I used to own a few years back)
Reply 3D Displays

Tags
3d Hdtv