post #211 of 3382 Old 11-10-2011, 03:13 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snorefingers View Post

Have you tried the different forehead supporters that come with the device?

Yes. I went to small, then back to medium (default). I tried straps after, and that was very helpful. I will mix it up with the pads again probably... but they are really hard to get on/off and I fear breaking the unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_H View Post

I have most of my equipment concealed from my 2 year old in an enclosed & locked cabinet, so running wires along the baseboards is not an option. I may just have to get a long HDMI cable and pull the box out of the cabinet when I want to use it.

The processor unit is very small and easy to lift, so this is totally reasonable. And probably even safer; if someone kicks the cord it yanks the processor and not the HMD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samckaz View Post

Question for Brian mundt and Eating Pie: are you by any chance bespectacled? Could that be the reason you couldn't focus properly?

Nope. It's definitely the HMD itself.

I have gotten the blur isolated to top-right or top-left, depending on positioning. Maybe there's a trick we haven't hit on yet? But like pixel grid, I think blur is just going to be a reality of this device.

Reading further posts, it may be mis-aligned optics. That would be good news since it means Sony can fix it! I like the 3D a ton and a half though, and am willing to put up with this issue if it cannot be fixed... at least right now.

I think it would be prudent to hit the Sony Style Retail store here in SDO to see if their demo units have the same problem. Just don't know when I'll have time...

-Pie

"The Brothers, they think I don't know a buttload of crap about the Gospel..." -Nacho
Story Bytes - Very Short Stories
http://www.storybytes.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 3382 Old 11-10-2011, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blizaine View Post

I have 100% clarity edge to edge on mine. I also had a buddy try it (he wears glasses) and he also said it was clear edge to edge.

I will say that there is very little play and the sweet spot is small. Shifting the unit in any direction causes some or all of the picture to blur.

Likewise I can get 100% clarity but it is easy to lose if the unit shifts even a little. I also found using my old glasses with a larger lens helped a lot. A bigger sweet spot I guess.
post #213 of 3382 Old 11-10-2011, 03:23 PM

Just got done testing the MonoPrice HDMI splitter on a standard 1080p display (no 3D). I found this did not work well. The signal wasn't recognized in 3D modes and had issues in some 2D modes. The HMD needs to be plugged into Output 2 to work properly. And since the TV didn't support the signal, no audio came thru. This was expected. I still need to test the splitter going to a 3D TV and to a 3D compatible amp. Those tests will be held tonight.
post #214 of 3382 Old 11-10-2011, 03:29 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronoptimist View Post

Their website currently shows the stock status as green, and "This item is usually dispatched within 2-3 Days"

Ring Ring! Ring Ring!

ME: Hi, Do you have the Sony HMZ in stock?
Them: No, but we can pre-order you one. It should be about 3-4 weeks.
ME: Ok, thanks. Can I get my 10% back if I choose to cancel.
Them: Yes, of course.
ME: Okily dokily. PS. You have a lovely voice Emma.
Them: Oh, cheeky, you aren't getting any more cash off you scamp....

Ok, I admit, It didn't go quite like that at the end. Look, I know that some people have complained about them selling products they don't have, and I know what the website says but in this case it is moot - Nobody has them in the UK yet and they certainly didn't pretend to when I called. I knew exactly their game when I ordered - get orders in and sell em cheap. It doesn't mean they can't fulfill orders, it just means there may be a delay. I'm willing to wait a while if it means £140 off the Sony online price. I've also seen numerous websites have dodgy stock availability values. *If* people get them for the advertised price and in a relatively timely fashion, not in 2038, then I'm sure they will be happy.

I don't mean to sound defensive of them, but they have been fine and honest with me so far. And, yes, Emma does have a lovely voice.

Woe betide them if they mess me about though!
post #215 of 3382 Old 11-10-2011, 03:39 PM

Quick update: Natural Point is sending a production TrackIR 5 my direction. Might be here tomorrow or Saturday. Monday at the latest.
post #216 of 3382 Old 11-10-2011, 03:43 PM

Ok here is my take. clearity, 3d depth and POP out is amazing! BUT THIS SUCKER IS WAY TOO UNCOMFORTABLE. it made my forehead hurt like a mofo after a few minutes
post #217 of 3382 Old 11-10-2011, 03:45 PM

to really appreciate the 3D watch under the sea from Imax
post #218 of 3382 Old 11-10-2011, 03:54 PM

Liked: 11
I posted this link in the other thread as well. A well done review of the unit. Best one I've seen posted on the web so far. 7/10 is a fair score IMHO.

http://www.theverge.com/2011/11/10/2...-viewer-review
post #219 of 3382 Old 11-10-2011, 04:20 PM

Everyone complaining about comfort should pay some attention to MTBS3D.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayaman View Post

The comfort issue is easily remedy. I am going to put a strap that runs from front to back over the top of my head. Problem solved. My old VR3 was the most comfortable HmD ever and that top bar was awesome. Absolutely no weight on anything but the top of my head, which i didn't notice. It was like wearing a hat. I highly recommend people to do this mod.

I plan on doing this even if it turns out to be comfortable for me.

Edit: For those planning to play Skyrim in 3D it's looking mighty good so far. A few glitches, namely the night sky/stars and water reflections...hopefully nothing that can't be fixed. Some lucky Aussie is playing it with a single 580 on full detail in 3D...didn't mention the resolution, but said it was "buttery smooth". Can't wait to get my hands on the game tomorrow! Since this will be my second 3D headset (first being a dysfunctional and original set of i-glasses) I'll have to wait for the HMZ-T1 to be shipped before I can play it in full blown 3D....but then my 110" theater screen should do nicely until then.
post #220 of 3382 Old 11-10-2011, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samckaz View Post

Ok here is my take. clearity, 3d depth and POP out is amazing! BUT THIS SUCKER IS WAY TOO UNCOMFORTABLE. it made my forehead hurt like a mofo after a few minutes

It was for me as well until I took someone's advice to keep the straps fairly loose. Works much better without the vice grip and didn't lose the sweet spot for focus.
post #221 of 3382 Old 11-10-2011, 05:02 PM

Thanks ill give it a shot soon. But fellas the picture quality is awesome! Blacks are deep black, colors are crazy vibrant.
post #222 of 3382 Old 11-10-2011, 05:22 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by blizaine View Post

I have 100% clarity edge to edge on mine. I also had a buddy try it (he wears glasses) and he also said it was clear edge to edge.

I will say that there is very little play and the sweet spot is small. Shifting the unit in any direction causes some or all of the picture to blur.

Agreed. I can get 100% clarity, but the straps have to be loose and I have to hold the HMD in my hands for support so the lenses are placed precisely in front of my eyes, even when laying down. The tightening of the straps seems to bend the axis of preciseness. In the next model Sony needs to provide a vertical lens adjustment axis, just like the horizontal and a head band going from the back brace to the forehead pad for heavy support in the front.

Paul
post #223 of 3382 Old 11-10-2011, 05:25 PM

Sony site:
This item is Backorderable
Estimated ship date: 01/17/2012
post #224 of 3382 Old 11-10-2011, 05:32 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroflux View Post

I plan on doing this even if it turns out to be comfortable for me.

Do you suppose this looked to uncool for Sony to design it that way from the get-go? It makes a lot of sense to construct it like a hat.
post #225 of 3382 Old 11-10-2011, 05:44 PM

I suspect the engineers did it...you see the straps are efficient...or at least they look_efficient. A designer would have plopped it on his/her head, said "ouch", and tried something else. Nothing against engineers...they just seem have an odd affection for strap-ons. (j/k)
post #226 of 3382 Old 11-10-2011, 07:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Is anyone else noticing some motion judder with 3D 24Hz material? I tested with the PS3 and many different movies and it is present in all. When I play 2D source material I do not see the issue.
post #227 of 3382 Old 11-10-2011, 07:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic-Viper View Post

Just got done testing the MonoPrice HDMI splitter on a standard 1080p display (no 3D). I found this did not work well. The signal wasn't recognized in 3D modes and had issues in some 2D modes. The HMD needs to be plugged into Output 2 to work properly. And since the TV didn't support the signal, no audio came thru. This was expected. I still need to test the splitter going to a 3D TV and to a 3D compatible amp. Those tests will be held tonight.

This one?

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

-Pie

"The Brothers, they think I don't know a buttload of crap about the Gospel..." -Nacho
post #228 of 3382 Old 11-10-2011, 09:34 PM

The monoprice splitter isn't very useful. Just tested it on a 3D TV / AMP setup in hopes to get dual outputs. I did manage to get it working, but the steps are not very user friendly.

Here are the steps:

Hook the HMZT-1 directly to your 3D source (I used a PS3).

Go to the PS3s display settings and proceed to the Display section

Detect the display and set it to "Auto". If you do it manually, it will turn off 3D.

When it asks if you want to detect Audio, make sure you do. Do not skip it since the HMZ only handles certain audio formats.

Go to your desired game and get it to display in 3D.

Once 3D is enabled, disconnect the HDMI plug from your HMZ and plug your source into the splitter's input.

Make sure your TV / AMP is plugged into output 1 on the splitter and connect your HMZ into output 2.

Now turn off your HMZ and turn it back on.

You should now have a 3D image on your 3D TV and your HMZ.

This only works until you leave the game or the video format changes. Then you have to start over.

In short...it isn't very useful.
post #229 of 3382 Old 11-10-2011, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatingPie View Post

This one?

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

-Pie

Yes. That is the very same model I have.
post #230 of 3382 Old 11-10-2011, 09:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by mauricef View Post

Is anyone else noticing some motion judder with 3D 24Hz material? I tested with the PS3 and many different movies and it is present in all. When I play 2D source material I do not see the issue.

What kind of judder are you seeing? 3:2 judder, or 24p judder?
post #231 of 3382 Old 11-10-2011, 09:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic-Viper View Post

The monoprice splitter isn't very useful. Just tested it on a 3D TV / AMP setup in hopes to get dual outputs. I did manage to get it working, but the steps are not very user friendly.

Here are the steps:

Hook the HMZT-1 directly to your 3D source (I used a PS3).

Go to the PS3s display settings and proceed to the Display section

Detect the display and set it to "Auto". If you do it manually, it will turn off 3D.

When it asks if you want to detect Audio, make sure you do. Do not skip it since the HMZ only handles certain audio formats.

Go to your desired game and get it to display in 3D.

Once 3D is enabled, disconnect the HDMI plug from your HMZ and plug your source into the splitter's input.

Make sure your TV / AMP is plugged into output 1 on the splitter and connect your HMZ into output 2.

Now turn off your HMZ and turn it back on.

You should now have a 3D image on your 3D TV and your HMZ.

This only works until you leave the game or the video format changes. Then you have to start over.

In short...it isn't very useful.

Wow, really lame! OTOH, I can see the problem because you have two devices telling the PS3 two different things.

Another product I'm interested in is the following:

http://sewelldirect.com/2x1-or-1x2-H...utm_medium=cse

I am plugging/unplugging to the PS3 right now. I just don't think this can handle 3D bandwidth.

-Pie

post #232 of 3382 Old 11-10-2011, 10:09 PM

I think mine is coming in next week. Got a 'Ready to Ship', estimated ship date 11/10/11 in my order status.

I don't have a whole lot of 3D source materials and am thinking about picking up a couple of 3D blurays over the weekend. Can anyone recommend some of the better ones out there? ...something with realistic 3D effects and an enjoyable story?

I've seen 'How to Train your Dragon' and 'Monsters v. Aliens' mentioned in the thread, as well as some IMAX 3D documentaries. Any suggestion for a 3D bluray newcomer would be much appreciated. Thanks.
post #233 of 3382 Old 11-10-2011, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudVII View Post

I think mine is coming in next week. Got a 'Ready to Ship', estimated ship date 11/10/11 in my order status.

What country ? USA or Canada ?

Thanks
post #234 of 3382 Old 11-10-2011, 10:24 PM

@axdenied - US. Ordered mine on 11/6.

@Eating, Vic -- How about this little guy? It's 2x$ the monoprice but supports 3D. I was looking into Y cable as a possible substitute for a splitter and came across it.
post #235 of 3382 Old 11-10-2011, 11:50 PM

sorry guys i m in a rush so i have no time to read all the previous post YET

i want to ask that
can anyone confirm that this SONY HMZ can be hook up with normal PC?
It is connected to the graphic card HDMI right?
What about the sound? How do the sound output from HDMI?
(i know HDMI support sound, but I had never tried before)

thank you very much
post #236 of 3382 Old 11-10-2011, 11:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcboy88 View Post

sorry guys i m in a rush so i have no time to read all the previous post YET

i want to ask that
can anyone confirm that this SONY HMZ can be hook up with normal PC?

It's been addressed 100 times in this thread.
post #237 of 3382 Old 11-11-2011, 12:03 AM

if u noticed i mentioned that i am in a rush so i had not read all previous post yet

so how does the sound output from hdmi?
just go control panel>sound> change to realtek digital output instead of speakers?
that easy?
post #238 of 3382 Old 11-11-2011, 12:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudVII View Post

I don't have a whole lot of 3D source materials and am thinking about picking up a couple of 3D blurays over the weekend. Can anyone recommend some of the better ones out there? ...something with realistic 3D effects and an enjoyable story?

I've seen 'How to Train your Dragon' and 'Monsters v. Aliens' mentioned in the thread, as well as some IMAX 3D documentaries. Any suggestion for a 3D bluray newcomer would be much appreciated. Thanks.

The 2 animated movies you mentioned and the Imax documentaries are decent. For live action movies, try Tron:Legacy and Resident Evil:Afterlife in 3D. Not the greatest stories ever, but entertaining enough and REA has some of the best live action 3d available right now.

Max
post #239 of 3382 Old 11-11-2011, 02:12 AM

for those that have these, whilst wearing their glasses.......Do you get any sort of reflection back from your glasses that might affect the viewing?
post #240 of 3382 Old 11-11-2011, 04:19 AM

congrats cloudVII on getting yours shipped.

Boo on Sony though. I preordered before cloud and I have to wait 2 more weeks????

Oh well, at least I'm getting a pair (hopefully) and dont have to wait until 2012 like some people.
Reply 3D Displays

Tags
3d Hdtv

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page