Sony HMZ-T1 HMD Owner's dedicated thread - Page 84 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-26-2012, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Bought one of lg 15" lill oled tvs and as i suspected that beats the hell out of the hmz-1 with much more vibrant colours much sharper picture think sony used cheapo oleds on the hmz-1 as this was shockingly better, Shame great blacks but thats it ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2012, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

To the helmet guy how the earth u gnna allign the hmz-1 lenses with that helmet? im modding my aswell atm n discover that just a few degrees off left n right or up n down really affects the picture sharpness no end..
Old 04-26-2012, 12:48 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaktmestern View Post

Bought one of lg 15" lill oled tvs and as i suspected that beats the hell out of the hmz-1 with much more vibrant colours much sharper picture think sony used cheapo oleds on the hmz-1 as this was shockingly better, Shame great blacks but thats it ...

i find it quite hard to believe. i'm rather convinced that you have vision problems, and can't get sharp enough picture with hmd..

but i'm open to see some pics of your tv. what's your model?
Old 04-26-2012, 01:08 PM

Liked: 10
I recently bought the HMZ-T1 headset. The 2D contents is working fine but when I tried to play crysis2, killzone3 and GT5 in 3D, it didn't gave me any option to enable 3D from the game menu. I kept on getting the message that no 3D tv detected.

Can anyone help me in resolving this?
Old 04-26-2012, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

No problems Kixpress its a lg 9500

Old 04-26-2012, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

pictures taken from zune x360 in 720p (same as hmz-1) with my htc titan

Pictures are sharper than this as the htc cam isnt the best in the world.

Hmz-1 aint close with its less pop colours and visible pixel structure sadly
Old 04-26-2012, 01:46 PM

to me this does not show anything since could be difference in the movie quality. Should compare exactly the same movie and the same scene to draw some results.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Shuldnt |take much for a hmz-1 owner to notice the massive diffrence from this.. taking pictures of the hmz-1 tiny lenses are incredible hard so i trust more the owners to use they own eyes
Old 04-26-2012, 02:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:

how you can compare 3d HMZ-T1 head mounted display with 15" TV???? this is beyond my comprehension. most of us have big TV sets and computers with full hd super sharp 3d monitors. HMZ-T1 is in completely different league and it's amazing what it does.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

As they 2 oled screens...

See past the pixels and u get colour sharpness n brightness that the lg beats the hmz-1 with flying colors..

Still gnna modd my hmz-1 but im not impressed now
Old 04-26-2012, 03:24 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

As they 2 oled screens...

See past the pixels and u get colour sharpness n brightness that the lg beats the hmz-1 with flying colors..

Still gnna modd my hmz-1 but im not impressed now

Won't argue with you, as I haven't personally viewed the LG or the specifications, but I do know that the HMZ-T1 can produce a great 97% NSTC color gamut, having a 0.01ms response time and gives 200 cd/m2 brightness..

RE: Sharper? You're comparing a 1080P OLED 15" display to a 720P 0.7" OLED microdisplay.

And: the color saturation in the pictures you posted above showing the OLED LG 9500 screen captures look way over saturated to me.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
ag_007, if it's not working I'll upload another for everyone this weekend

3D items I own:

Sony 46" LX900 active 3D set

Sony HMZ-T3 (Cushion pads and light blocker mod)

LG LW6500 passive 3D set

PS3 & PS4

Sony BDP-S570 BD3D player

JVC-GS-TD1 (with Cyclopital base extender)

Fujifilm W3

Sony Alpha 55 (for 3D panoramic photos)

Quadcopter + Zenmuse and GoPro Hero 3 (Filming...

Old 04-26-2012, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

The lg oled is a 720p screen aswell
Old 04-26-2012, 03:40 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 29
THE SONY HMZ-T1 IS THE WORST PIECE OF CONSUMER TECH THAT I HAVE EVER TRIED.

First, I hooked it up to my computer to test 2d performance cause I don't have HDMI 1.4 with my asus directcuII 7970. I loaded up BF3 and the input lag was horrible an the 720p resolution made my EYES BLEED. Worse yet, my head & nose are apparently too big for this thing which caused it to sit very far down on the bridge of my nose....I actually had to take the back straps off and use one of my hands to prop the unit in place so I could view the screens. Even after doing this I STILL had massive pressure on my nose / forehead and within 5 minutes I was so irritated that I wanted to throw puppies into a river.

I still felt compelled to give this thing a fair shot so I hooked it up to my PS3 and watched some 3d content which was decent, but the 720p screen door effect distracted me from total immersion. Then I hooked it up to my Xbox 360 and tried Halo Anniversary in 3D. I quickly discovered that I cannot handle 3D without external reference points. My triple eyefinity HD3d Asus S27A750 monitor setup is awesome because I can see my desk, the wall behind the screens, etc which all give me a frame of reference (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...ty2S27A750.jpg). Unfortunately, with the HMZ-T1 you are isolated and have nothing to give yourself any situational awareness. Within minutes I was Sick as a Dog and had to VOM.

I knew the HMZ-T1 was going to be uncomfortable because I researched the hell out of it before hand and knew that I was probably going to need the (1) Welder mod for comfort and (2) The eyeglasses mod for sight and possibly (3) Sandpaper the nose area down mod down for greater nasal clearance. But I was completely unprepared for how poorly the unit really is designed, because as is stock from the box I could not even wear it on my face for longer than 5 seconds before needing to brace it with a hand.

This unit has a trifecta of fail. (1) Its center of gravity was too forward heavy which would cause problems with your neck vertabrate even if you leaned back, (2) the unit's paltry forehead pads were not enough to properly disperse the weight load, which would ultimately result in migraines and (3) the resolution was just too low & the sweet spot viewing angle was just too small, which would also help induce the migraines.

To summarize:
The Sony HMZ-T1 is not merely uncomfortable on my face, it is intolerably painful....It could seriously double as a torture device and to add insult to injury Sony charges $800 for it, which is all insanity to me. All in all I determined that it wasn't worth the effort to mod because at the end of the day you would still be stuck with 720p.

Sony needs to go back to the drawing board and step the screens up to full 120hz 1080p panels, ditch the headphones or make them removable with the option to wear your own, ditch the HDMI standard and replace it with displayport, and do a MASSIVE ERGONOMICS reengineer that makes the headset fit like a second skin...Perhaps get some ex NASA engineers on board who can factor in some space age materials that sooth your head. If they do all that then they would have a HMD worthy of a $1,500 price tag.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

yeh agree on multiple of ur points there i was gnna sell mine but the rear head strap snapped of so i was stuck with it, unmodded they are awful totaly agree to much weight on the for head .. but again it has sum good points

Like a amazing natural 3D and the large picture thats hard to achive with anything else han a projector that many ink me havent the room for.

One more thing i noticed on the hmz-1 is really brings out faluts in movies like moscito noise in black sceenes so what im guessing is a 3DBD player with a hqv processor is needed like the phillips bdp 9600, oppo93 or cambridge to remove that
Old 04-26-2012, 04:13 PM

Quote:

To the helmet guy how the earth u gnna allign the hmz-1 lenses with that helmet? im modding my aswell atm n discover that just a few degrees off left n right or up n down really affects the picture sharpness no end..

I am a professional computer modder . . . can do make anything work
Old 04-26-2012, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Alright cewl, im in the midddel of modding mine aswell

Removed as u see the middle wheel between the screen so they can be adjusted left n right each
Old 04-26-2012, 06:16 PM

The 3D option is not turned on in-game. Go into the systems settings from the home screen and get it to auto detect the display with the headset turned on.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:49 PM

i been watching this thread for a while now and was going to pick up a hmz-t1 next week. after recent comments i'm having doubts. is it really worth it? it's time for an upgrade from my 50 inch 1080p, but should i go with a projector? is the 2d content just as good as the 3d, i dont care about comfort just picture quality.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l88bastard View Post

THE SONY HMZ-T1 IS THE WORST PIECE OF CONSUMER TECH THAT I HAVE EVER TRIED.

First, I hooked it up to my computer to test 2d performance cause I don't have HDMI 1.4 with my asus directcuII 7970. I loaded up BF3 and the input lag was horrible an the 720p resolution made my EYES BLEED. Worse yet, my head & nose are apparently too big for this thing which caused it to sit very far down on the bridge of my nose....I actually had to take the back straps off and use one of my hands to prop the unit in place so I could view the screens. Even after doing this I STILL had massive pressure on my nose / forehead and within 5 minutes I was so irritated that I wanted to throw puppies into a river.

I still felt compelled to give this thing a fair shot so I hooked it up to my PS3 and watched some 3d content which was decent, but the 720p screen door effect distracted me from total immersion. Then I hooked it up to my Xbox 360 and tried Halo Anniversary in 3D. I quickly discovered that I cannot handle 3D without external reference points. My triple eyefinity HD3d Asus S27A750 monitor setup is awesome because I can see my desk, the wall behind the screens, etc which all give me a frame of reference (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...ty2S27A750.jpg). Unfortunately, with the HMZ-T1 you are isolated and have nothing to give yourself any situational awareness. Within minutes I was Sick as a Dog and had to VOM.

I knew the HMZ-T1 was going to be uncomfortable because I researched the hell out of it before hand and knew that I was probably going to need the (1) Welder mod for comfort and (2) The eyeglasses mod for sight and possibly (3) Sandpaper the nose area down mod down for greater nasal clearance. But I was completely unprepared for how poorly the unit really is designed, because as is stock from the box I could not even wear it on my face for longer than 5 seconds before needing to brace it with a hand.

This unit has a trifecta of fail. (1) Its center of gravity was too forward heavy which would cause problems with your neck vertabrate even if you leaned back, (2) the unit's paltry forehead pads were not enough to properly disperse the weight load, which would ultimately result in migraines and (3) the resolution was just too low & the sweet spot viewing angle was just too small, which would also help induce the migraines.

To summarize:
The Sony HMZ-T1 is not merely uncomfortable on my face, it is intolerably painful....It could seriously double as a torture device and to add insult to injury Sony charges $800 for it, which is all insanity to me. All in all I determined that it wasn't worth the effort to mod because at the end of the day you would still be stuck with 720p.

Sony needs to go back to the drawing board and step the screens up to full 120hz 1080p panels, ditch the headphones or make them removable with the option to wear your own, ditch the HDMI standard and replace it with displayport, and do a MASSIVE ERGONOMICS reengineer that makes the headset fit like a second skin...Perhaps get some ex NASA engineers on board who can factor in some space age materials that sooth your head. If they do all that then they would have a HMD worthy of a $1,500 price tag.

i thinks u need to have eyes check pal the sony hmz-t1 provide the best 2d and 3d for the money u can buy as i cant experience this on my currently 46inch samsung ledtv as well on cinema which the only cons is the headset design is not well made but with modification it solved the issue and sony hmz-t1 have me draw to 3d world of movie which never happened to me when watching 3d on my tv or cinema....
Old 04-26-2012, 09:11 PM

u haven't seen nothing yet with hmz-t1. when more 3d games and adult hard core movies come out u will enjoy reality more with hmz-t1
Old 04-26-2012, 11:37 PM

First post!

I got my HMZ-t1 last Friday and I've gotten a lot of hate toward it, people telling me to wait for a v2. At first the edges were blurry but it still was a great experience. I seen a video on youtube called "3D Chainsaw" and that really captured the capabilities of the HMZ-T1's 3D. But now nearly a week after I bought it, the edges don't seem blurry at all when positioned close enough to my eyes and I honestly think my eyes just adjusted to it.

Overall I'm glad with my purchase, although pricey. I'm glad I can be one of the few people to own one of these
Old 04-27-2012, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teedubbu5 View Post

i been watching this thread for a while now and was going to pick up a hmz-t1 next week. after recent comments i'm having doubts. is it really worth it? it's time for an upgrade from my 50 inch 1080p, but should i go with a projector? is the 2d content just as good as the 3d, i dont care about comfort just picture quality.

picture quality beats anything you have ever seen.
i've a lot of screens at home, both big and small, high end expensive monitors.. but when it comes to gaming, i use hmd. it's only 720p @ 60 hz, but because it's so immersive, you don't want to use anything else! i played half of my life on tv and monitor, but now every time i try to play this way again.. it just doesn't feel the same.

even 2D content is breathtaking - and few times i catched myself saying how baeutifull this 3D scene look like.. finding out that i haven't even turned 3D on so no matter what content you see, it looks amazing!

on a side note, i had an idea that would solve a lot of people blurry edges problem. solution is very easy.. and it should be possible to do it on computer side, as i don't think there is a easy to update hmd without sending it back to sony.

we just need an option to change screen size! what if we could reduce the screen size by 15-20%? no more blurry edges for most people!

i tried this method with movies, and it worked great. i played some gameplay videos, and the corners when screen was reduced were sharper.. however, some text may become a bit harder to read. what do you think? borders are black, so you won't even notice that you aren't using full screen..

Old 04-27-2012, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Best pictutre ever seen lol that made me smile ... Not by a longshot best 3D yes Great blacks yes.. Large movie exsperience yes.. minuses visible pixel grind of the 720p (150") colours arent as vibrant as a high end tv, brightness is disapointing not much light comes out of the oled panels. (not gnna go into comfort n sound)

U have a little limited adjustment of the picture on the hmz-1 it helps a lill 2 use the smallest

Coulnd get the hmz-1 100percent edge blurry free(more visible on games) but it helped having it closer to the head, so i hope the removal of the wheel may help further with seperate adjustments of left n right lens
Old 04-27-2012, 08:30 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Best pictutre ever seen lol that made me smile ... Not by a longshot best 3D yes Great blacks yes.. Large movie exsperience yes.. minuses visible pixel grind of the 720p (150") colours arent as vibrant as a high end tv, brightness is disapointing not much light comes out of the oled panels. (not gnna go into comfort n sound)

I agree with kixpress. If you don't see vibrant colors which are as good or better than a high end TV then either you haven't adjusted the display to its optimum ability or yours may be defective. The OLED technology produces the best 720P HD picture I've seen to date.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Hmz-1 is best describes as the picture u get through a passive 3D like the lg tv.

Clear enough, u see sum lines but, when ur used to active shutters its really missing the pop in the picture

Most reviews wrote the resolution grid was visible it never scored a full go in any of them
so if its the best screen u seen ... thats worrying
Old 04-27-2012, 10:55 AM

Can you guys share on which notch you have the lens width set at? I'm worried I have mine set too narrow, and it's giving me headaches, although at the width I have it at, the picture is pretty clear including edges. I currently have the lens width slides set right at the middle setting, and I would describe my head as likely slightly larger than average.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:34 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jand View Post

Can you guys share on which notch you have the lens width set at? I'm worried I have mine set too narrow, and it's giving me headaches, although at the width I have it at, the picture is pretty clear including edges. I currently have the lens width slides set right at the middle setting, and I would describe my head as likely slightly larger than average.

Most of the time I have it set in the middle when watching movies but when adjusting it for reading I sometimes go one more notch in the outward direction.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

That really diffrence from person to person, but close to middle here atleast.
Old 04-27-2012, 02:14 PM
Advanced Member

I also think that the image produced on the HMZ-T1 is excellent. I have never noticed any visible pixel grid. Don't know if that is due to my eyesight or not but the bottom line is that I'm very happy with the image quality. I have mine modded with the welder's helmet mod and comfort isn't really an issue with it now. The image is plenty bright for my tastes and much brighter than what I get with my active shutter setup. The HMZ-T1 is not perfect but it is still a great product and is actually priced really well for what you get IMO

Tags
3d Hdtv