Sony HMZ-T1 HMD Owner's dedicated thread - Page 88 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2611 of 3382 Old 05-02-2012, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 160
There a guy who tested the silicon optics one with pictures of the screens in another forum, on ces 2012 i think it was, what he reports its a brighter picture much better eye field of view but colours n blacks wasnt up to the hmz-1 at first glance

http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=120&t=14312

Heres the link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2612 of 3382 Old 05-02-2012, 07:14 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaktmestern View Post

There a guy who tested the silicon optics one with pictures of the screens in another forum, on ces 2012 i think it was, what he reports its a brighter picture much better eye field of view but colours n blacks wasnt up to the hmz-1 at first glance

http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=120&t=14312

Heres the link

i doubt the st1080 will have huge advantage over sony hmz-t1 in term of color and 3d but in term on comfort i think it will have edge over sony hmz-t1 unmodify version.
post #2613 of 3382 Old 05-03-2012, 02:27 AM

Liked: 10
This response is for vaktmestern,

You have been the conductor of a hate train for the HMZ-T1 for over a month now. Ok we get it, you think a 15" tv is awesome and that none of us have seen a full resoluton 3DTV. And I love how you're the one making claims that we don't know when you don't even have a computer that can run 3D. If it's not your thing then fine, say your piece and move on, but you're posting on here combating anyone who says its a great product.

It's pretty clear that you are not a true enthusiast in this department. An early adopter/enthusiast of new technology knows that they will pay a large premium for something that will have flaws and will be replaced shortly by something cheaper and more advanced. I've read all your posts, you asked peoples opinions as to what they thought about this product before you had one yourself.
The expectations you set were too high.

I paid for my pre order in full on Sept 24, 2011, expecting an october release as they first said. As an enthusiast all I had to read was, 3D,HMD,Vitual big screen, sold. This was the first true HD 3D HMD! I paid for the thing in full and honestly thought the initial reviews I read were maketing hype. I tried the glasstrons from sony before, they were not worth the $1000 they retailed for, but I wanted the newest thing right away. Was I expecting it to be perfect? No, not at all. I knew it was 720p and I would see the screen door effect if I focused on it. I pre ordered a Sony 720P projector back in 2005 at the reasonable price of $4999.99 so I know what the screen door effect is, but I had the newest badest tech in my living room for a few years before that tech trickled down to the $1000 level.

The point that you don't get is that to be one of the few to enjoy the newest thing, it's expected to cost alot, not perform to all of your hopes and dreams, but you get the newest thing, you get to experience something that most people wont get to check out and if you actually had a PC capable of delivering Nvidia 3D
, you might actually see some groundbreaking tech in the form of games.

You also make comparisons to 3DTVs and how they are so much better. For one the ghosting is not even comparable. The HMZ-T1 smashes TVs when it comes to crosstalk. You also mention the resolution difference, The 1080p tv looks sharper.... of course it does, its only 50-60" and 1080p. the hmz-t1 is 720 and is projected as a massive screen only inches away from our eyes. In bright scenes you will see the pixels, but if you knew anything about 720 then you would have known that before you bought it. The blacks on the HMZ are amazing, high speed motion is amazing, the screen can be 100% in focus if you take the time to understand how to make it fit to your head.

I don't understand how you continue to bash this product. You should have known that it wouldn't be perfect, for one, the thing was only $800. I have more than that invested in just my GPUs. For what it was, a prototype that was sold to the 1% of people that wanted this tech, its pretty damn cool.

Just sell yours and stop complaining.
post #2614 of 3382 Old 05-03-2012, 06:22 AM

couldn't agree more. he keep saying same stuff over and over.
like the '3x3 mm' pixel size.. who cares about these numbers? if this thing is on your head correctly, and u have nvidia 3d vision - this beast has absolutly no competition. not even a little 15" oled that is not 3D capable..
post #2615 of 3382 Old 05-03-2012, 07:02 AM

Liked: 18
vaktmestern, very interesting link. But i find the thread very odd. Theres no reviews... and on youtube theres a video of the SDT1080 makers in an interview.... at no point does the person interviewing them, refers to the image quality or even puts them on... yet there are people in that thread all jumping in to pre-order at the discounted price. Its all very odd.

I used to work for the videos games industry and good reviews can be 'paid for'. So i would never buy anything without 1, reading lots and lots of good reviews... and 2, trying it myself.

I find it odd ST1080 have this amazing piece of kit and noone has got to try it properly yet... and somehow even everyone else is stuck at 1080 res they have a 4k2k protoype!

I do hope its true as it would be so amazing. But i find this all too odd.
post #2616 of 3382 Old 05-03-2012, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Small company the silicon optics so they dont have the money to market it well
the 4000p future st is really intreting.

Well i do facts not photo shoped pictures ,so anyone hurt or offended 2 bad so sad ..
Rather have future buyers know what its like than most of this bull trying to make it over fantastic when its not...as before read the reviews n see whos right
post #2617 of 3382 Old 05-03-2012, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaktmestern View Post

Small company the silicon optics so they dont have the money to market it well
the 4000p future st is really intreting.

Well i do facts not photo shoped pictures ,so anyone hurt or offended 2 bad so sad ..
Rather have future buyers know what its like than most of this bull trying to make it over fantastic when its not...as before read the reviews n see whos right

Just stop it dude leave from this thread
post #2618 of 3382 Old 05-03-2012, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Inspired by making it better again , i mounted up the hmz-1 lenses in its new casing and gnna secure it into place to morr and start of thinking of the final shape

Was preety hard to find the right tilt up n down on the lenses, but think im preety close as i think i lost the left blur now judging from a movie but need to recheck with a game later

Another problem is making it light enough for longer usages than the odd movie
post #2619 of 3382 Old 05-03-2012, 11:33 AM

I can understand your frustration, for the price one should not need to mod it. But sometimes when we can on the edge technology we just have to put that extra bit of effort to make it right.

I can't wait what the next 2 years will bring in this field and it's damn good to know there's healthy competition trying to out do each other.
post #2620 of 3382 Old 05-03-2012, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Agree with sum modding the hmz-1 may be usable, oled is the next big thing still early days but its good product like this surface
post #2621 of 3382 Old 05-03-2012, 08:07 PM

i dont know about u vaktmestern but for me is worth every single dollar i paid for the hmz-t1 the 2d and 3d is really that great the only thing really fault is the head strap it use on the hmz-t1 which could cause a lot people uncomfortable when wearing it but someone help me modify it and make it as helmet setup solved my issue 100% as everytime if i want to use i just slide in the hmz-t1 which is easy and comfortable.
post #2622 of 3382 Old 05-03-2012, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

The full exsperience is great. Played deus ex on it last night and that was good, bringing my to work today to work more on it. Got it 99percent blur free now with the removal of the gear between the lenses and sum slight tilting up n down on the lenses,theres still a slight blurr on the top left i cant get rid of but thats minor so im happy with the result so far.

Worth the money if its modify for comfor n adjustet after the person using it, but out of the box no its to front heavy n the straps are to thinn to support the front weight
post #2623 of 3382 Old 05-03-2012, 11:21 PM

mostly all who have HMZ have per-ordered st1080 so given this result since i do not own HMZ so the logical step is to order st1080 after all it's native 1080p resolutions and latest 3D support [not complete but getting there !] but still i need to wait for reviews so here i am waiting......................................

BTW - i'd not mind paying usd$200 for HMZ as @usd$800 - it does not convince me to buy it at ALL.
post #2624 of 3382 Old 05-04-2012, 05:41 AM
Advanced Member

IMO the HMZ is definitely worth $800. It really is very impressive technology even with the comfort issues and small sweet spot. It is definitely not perfect but it provides an immersive experience that you can't get anywhere else at a price close to this with it's image quality.

I hope that the st1080 is a great product but I really don't understand why there haven't been a bunch of hands on reports already. You would think that if a start-up company had a great product that they would have been sure to get several review units out by now so that they could have generated a lot of pre-release hype. The only hands on report that I've found is the one available on MTBS3d that was linked to earlier. I have my fingers crossed on it but I'm really anxious to read user reports.
post #2625 of 3382 Old 05-04-2012, 06:19 AM

vaktmestern, good to know its working out for you after the mod. You have inspired me to try removing the gear wheel today to see if I can get closer to focus perfection. ATM I would say I get about 85 to 90% great focus.

I do not exaggerate when I claim that with my budget helmet mod I don't get any pain at all, and I'm sure I can wear it all day if my eyes would not suffer. But rest every 2 hrs is a good idea xD. Before I made the mod I was gonna walk the unit back to the shop and shove it up a Sony reps back side! I'm pleased I read about helmet mod here as its turned a 800quid paper weight into an amazing experience. One that I have enjoyed everyday since owning it.

I think its my 5th day with the HMZ. Heres experiences.

My 60in 3D TV as stated before has the slight edge over 3D pop-out effect. And I think I've worked out why. It's because I am sitting further away from the screen and the 3D has more "framing" around it hence I have the room to reference the effect, thus enhancing it. I believe this is true as when I moved towards the screen to simulate the HMZ screen size.... The 3D effect dramatically lessens and the graininess off the screen becomes apparent. And also because the 3D TV is visually further away and smaller looking the pixels resolution is higher, hence there's more resolution for building the perception of depth.

What amazes me, is that considering the HMZ screen size is like standing right in front of your TV, the picture quality is so much better. Sonys decoder box must be doing something very clever. A lot of people complain about the pixel grid and noise in white and bright images.... If you walk right up to your 3D TV, you get the same problems, but in the HMZ.... It just looks so much more acceptable.

Last night I decided to compare my Sony TD10 camcorder on the HMZ and my 3D TV. Oddly the image quality looked a lot better on the TV. On the HMZ the image looks washed out, it made me take a step back and I thought maybe the immersion of the HMZ has tricked me, and the TV is actually a lot better?

First up - SuperStarDustHD
Immediately I was pleased I bought the HMZ. On the TV this game does not suffer much from ghosting and the 3D is amazing. Combined with the TVs resolution it's big screen heaven.

Then I put on the HMZ. Immediately the virtually bigger screen struck me! It's WAY bigger than my TV! Its funny be use as one gets spoiled by the HMZ, you start to forget how big the sceen looks, until you do a direct realtime compare. And wow the brightness & vivid colours of the 3D! My TV looks washed out and darkened.

I compared TV and HMZ by flying next to a newly formed giant asteroid. On the TV the 3D looked very good. But on the HMZ you can feel the rock above and below the planet. This game is one example where the 3D depth wins on the HMZ as the game is simple in terms of graphics hence the 720P does not effect the HMZ. Games where you need to shoot small pixel size people, that's where the 720P will show its limit. But on SuperStarDust the HMZ wins hands down! Such an amazing experience.

WipeoutHD
The game felt slightly smoother in terms of frame rate on the TV. I think it's because again with the HMZ you are "sitting" right I front of the huge screen you notice the frame rate more. In any case the HMZ's frame rate is superb whats feels between 40 to 50fps...maybe even higher. I found I performed better using it. The Tv suffered from high ghosting which was distracting, reduced the 3D effect. With the HMZ corners are so much more easily to judge and the 3D clarity even at 720p is much more immersive and enjoyable.

Uncharted3
TV had immediate advantage of a higher resolution. However I played the mansion level, and inside the rooms are dark with subtle shading. I found it much more difficult to take in the fine details on the TV. However the HMZs blacks and image quality, even tho it's lower res was much more enjoyable. I am able to see with much more details in the dark areas thanks to the contrast. And when one walks in sections where the sun is coming thru the windows... It's beautiful. The HMZs contrast ratio and whites clearly beat the TV. The size of the HMZ virtual screen makes this game so much more immersive. Again the HMZ wins hands down.

Motorstorm 3D Rift& Apocalypse
On TV this game suffers from much ghosting. And there it lets the game down a lot. Because one of the most exciting aspects of this game is racing side by side to CPU vehicles and feeling they are real solid 3D objects. And i love driving down 3D tunnels feeling the depth. On the TV the ghosting spoils the illusion.

The HMZ suffers zero, that's right... Infact all the games I played today had zero visible ghosting/cross talk. So using the HMZ the adrenaline of close racing and bumping into CPU cars and racing down tunnels is amazing.

I finished my gaming session smug and so pleased I purchased the HMZ.

I just can't get my mind off the thought of T2 with a 1080 screen! Beyond 1080 would be pointless for me as current gen consoles do not support higher res 3D.

I will be tempted by the ST1080. But I hear its blacks are not as good. I remember only buying Sony Trinitron Black CRTs and loving them. Then one day I 'upgraded to a bigger screen, not by Sony. The blacks where grey... So awful. When one is used to seeing blacks... Greys are simply not acceptable and not enjoyable. Resulting in a washed out image. So if the ST1080 does not have perfect blacks like the HMZ... I simply won't touch it... I'll just wait for Sony or another brand.

Don't even think about buying a HMZ if you can't do the helmet mod, seriously. Out off the box you can't wear it for more than 10mins before extreme torture sets in! It's also very difficult to position for and keep it in perfect focus cos it will slowly slip about.

I'll post up a photo of my helmet mod tonight.
post #2626 of 3382 Old 05-04-2012, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes post up a picture that will be good insperation Gnna post sum pictures when my is lill more done aswell now its just securing of the lenses into place making brackets n removing the ones i have as a temporary support.

Hopfully ill get most work done late next week .

Played gears of war3 a few min last night that game is not real 3D as epic added the option late in the game dev ,but it still is a fun experience to bad most games look worse in 3D on consoles

Recoment silent hill downpour that enjoyed that more in 3D than 2D on the hmz-1

On deus ex the yellow colour was way off with the hmz-1 ,using warm1 atm but think im going back to normal or cold as it dont look right and warm2 i think looks to cartoony
post #2627 of 3382 Old 05-04-2012, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DMamper View Post

vaktmestern, very interesting link. But i find the thread very odd. Theres no reviews... and on youtube theres a video of the SDT1080 makers in an interview.... at no point does the person interviewing them, refers to the image quality or even puts them on... yet there are people in that thread all jumping in to pre-order at the discounted price. Its all very odd.

I used to work for the videos games industry and good reviews can be 'paid for'. So i would never buy anything without 1, reading lots and lots of good reviews... and 2, trying it myself.

I find it odd ST1080 have this amazing piece of kit and noone has got to try it properly yet... and somehow even everyone else is stuck at 1080 res they have a 4k2k protoype!

I do hope its true as it would be so amazing. But i find this all too odd.

Pranav Mistry has been quoted as "one of ten, best inventors in the world right now".
If you skip ahead to around 38:00, he shows a prototype and the ST1080 and explains that Silicon Micro Display are one of the companies that are working with him.

Video quality is awful. But if you have the time to watch the whole thing, it's interesting. I thought so anyway.
post #2628 of 3382 Old 05-04-2012, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Think the st180 has one design fault and thats light blocking around the unit itself, judging how the hmz-1 performes better with total light controll, i think the st is a modding project aswell to make it better.
post #2629 of 3382 Old 05-04-2012, 12:24 PM

Removed Lens Gear
Watched a video on YouTube showing how to remove the gear. Search YouTube for HMZ Mod Disassembly. It's really helpful. Easy to do takes about 40mins. But buy a really good quality Philips mini screwdriver set as the ones used by sony near the headphones are tiny and cheap screw drivers just don't work and damage the screws.

I was uncertain removing the gear wheel would help. But it did, a LOT. Previously I had pretty much great focus on all but the far and mid right of the FOV. With the mod I generally get the left lens to full to the left and the right lens two and sometimes one from the right. I can say it has vastly improved my focus to the point it no longer bothers me. Happy, is an understatement. The mod turned a great products even better! Highly recommend if you are brave enought to make this mod.

The edges of the FOV is so important for gaming as that's where players stats and minimaps are located.

So Sony... What on earth where you guys thinking? I sure hope you guys are reading this thread and T2 won't have any of these issues!

I can't help think without the Internet, the HMZ would have been a complete flop because is unusable in its off the shelf form!

But I have to be grateful to Sony for making possible such an amazing leap into the future of 3D and personal displays.
post #2630 of 3382 Old 05-04-2012, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

The gear removal is almost essential to enjoy using it one, really of the best mods to improve the visual aspect of the hmz-1. Add light controll ur have a much better unit than out of the box that sony intended . Highly recomended for all the users who has blurr vision issues with the hmz-1.

Another Issue is the swich box, a picture option to alllow a tv n hmz-1 to diplay the same picture at the same time would be handy without shutting the hmz-1 of.

Starting to feel the hmz-1 was a rushed product
post #2631 of 3382 Old 05-04-2012, 02:23 PM

post #2632 of 3382 Old 05-04-2012, 04:19 PM

Haha! Ive been thanking about tapping a move on my helmet mod to do that!
post #2633 of 3382 Old 05-04-2012, 04:40 PM

You guys wanting a 1080p 3D HMD for gaming do all realise that this is not possible right now - yeah? 720p in 3D is all you are getting right now... Unless of course NVIDIA make a HMD that supports 3D vision. This just ain't gonna happen. What ever device you get will be 720p while 3D gaming. Relax.
post #2634 of 3382 Old 05-04-2012, 05:01 PM

Yup. That's why I got the HMZ. Cos I know that the consoles I play Xbox 360 and PS3 can't do 3D over 720p anyway. And the next gen consoles won't be out till at least 2014 me thinks. Gosh the next gen will surely be great for 3D as they will most likely be able to do 8k4k or at least 4k2k!

I want a 1080 HMZ because at that res at least blu rays will render the way they should. And having things like ipad3 kinda spoils me and makes me expect everything to be as hi-def xP
post #2635 of 3382 Old 05-04-2012, 09:13 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Here's the latest goggle mod with screws for tilt adjustment. Comfort wise is slightly better than helmet mod but the advantage is you can lie down on the recliner chair. Try out the lens edge black paint mod since you guys had striped out the gear. After trying out for a week plus this is the best image improvement mod I had done.

post #2636 of 3382 Old 05-04-2012, 11:52 PM

Is it possible to display 3D youtube videos on the HMZ-T1 with AMD video cards? If so, how do you do it?
post #2637 of 3382 Old 05-04-2012, 11:52 PM
AVS Special Member

That mood is not far off what im doing to my hmz-1, Had one go already but i change it becouse of the plastic casing arount the hmz-1 makes it to front heavy and it still was was resting the veight down to the nose ..Was close to becoming finished but i decided i had to give it another go

This how it looked before almost ready for painting before i decided it wasnt good enougt for long usage and and this still had the gear in place

The v2 of this what im working on now, is gnna be much lighter but still using the same googe type i might not get the same shape on the finisht product as the lenses are now in a slightly diffrent position

One of the other plusses is to have the cord of the hmz-1 outside the head than hugging ur face (poor sony design)

I removed the sony orginal casing around it for weight advantage and is currently securing lenses to the google.

Plusses is total light control n a comfort level miles better than sony created...
post #2638 of 3382 Old 05-05-2012, 05:17 AM

Great mods.

Rjyap, i was thinking about blackening the edges of the lenses. As i own a few telescopes an the lens are always blacked so really suprised sony made this easy optics error.

So when you remove the case from the front of the lens. Do you just then paint around the lens edges while its still mounted onto the main casing? Because i dont like the sound of havjng to hold each lens, getting then greasy and riskig dust falling inside to the OLEDS.

For those who want to do this. Buy "Chalk Board Black Paint" from a diy store.
post #2639 of 3382 Old 05-05-2012, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

What improvment do the black paint do? reduce the blurr?
post #2640 of 3382 Old 05-05-2012, 07:05 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Anyone know where I can find one below cost? Or military discount? I've been wanting one of these since they announced it.

Or anyone selling theirs?
Reply 3D Displays

Tags
3d Hdtv