Sony HMZ-T1 HMD Owner's dedicated thread - Page 90 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2671 of 3382 Old 05-09-2012, 07:23 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 59
My hmz-1 is now 80 percent done the shapes there it works, light is blocked no turning back now Its now just the finish work left on it.

One of the smallest jobs turned into one of the most difficult ones al where to place the hmz-1 controll buttons and how to mount it. did my own twist there aswell after sum i found a way.

It will be 100percent done during the start of next week im not rushing the last part now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2672 of 3382 Old 05-10-2012, 01:44 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have ordered this DC-DC step down to get 5.6V to power the unit off a 11.1V Lipo

http://www.ebay.com/itm/370532487325

Will the 220V PSU in the HMZ box break if I feed it with 5.6 Volt? There is a little Diod by the 5.6V side that could be there to make sure currents only go one way, but Im not sure.

Anyone tried?

My alternative is to remove the 220V PSU entirely and power the unit off a AC-DC brick, maybe this one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EU-12V-3A-po...70601918725?pt
post #2673 of 3382 Old 05-10-2012, 06:59 AM

What screen size do you set your PS3 at when using the HMZ-T1? I'm not sure what it does, but the default is 72".
post #2674 of 3382 Old 05-10-2012, 07:00 AM
Advanced Member

72" is what my x360 detects aswell .. almost to big to game on on sum games
post #2675 of 3382 Old 05-10-2012, 07:25 AM

Liked: 18
Ive tried it on default, as 10inches and 150inches..... Appears to make no difference at all.

UPDATE: It makes a huge difference! For HMZ set PS3 Display 3DTV Size as 10in. This feature only seems to work for true stereoscopic games, SBS for example wont benefit as its not true stereoscopic.
post #2676 of 3382 Old 05-10-2012, 08:43 PM
Advanced Member

yeh it makes no diffrence at all.
post #2677 of 3382 Old 05-11-2012, 04:40 AM

Not posted on here before but been a reader for quite a while.

Had the Hmz for a few months now. Shocking the way it is as standard. Modded a bit now and all going well. I use a beanie hat and some cable ties currently. Have done the welding helmet, cycle helmet and baseball cap mod. I find the beanie hat to be the best for comfort probably easiest to do as well. I don't use any of the forehead pads uncliped and placed some foam padding so get nice and close in there.

Removed the gear wheel and painted the edges of the lens black last night. Thank you for the suggestion of doing that will put back together tonight and use. Quite a job taking apart hope goes back ok.

Thanks peeps for sharing your knowledge.
post #2678 of 3382 Old 05-11-2012, 05:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(post edited)

I should want to open my HMZ-T1 to remove the mecanism linking the optics with the white plastic toothed wheel ("gear wheel").

I made some research to find the right type of screwdriver to take out the screws that are use in the HMZ-T1.

There are 2 screw types, and you can see them on the picture below :

The big ones (1) and the small ones (2).

I have bought the screwdriver set that included the smallest screwdrivers that I can find :

There are detailed hereafter :

For the cruciform type of screws that is on the HMZ-T1, the PH (Philips) and PZ (Pozidriv) types are the ones which are concerned.

The smallest are :
- PH000
- PZ000.

EDIT :

For the HMZ-T1 bigscrews (ref as 1 on my HMZ picture) the PH000 and PH00 are OK (bigest PH00 seems the best fit).

In fact, for the HMZ-T1 smallscrews (ref as 2 on my HMZ picture) you need to use the PH00 !
post #2679 of 3382 Old 05-11-2012, 05:53 AM

I bought this set from a local hardware store for 2 USD

The one on the left did the job
post #2680 of 3382 Old 05-11-2012, 06:59 AM
Advanced Member

Bought a set like cyber aswell did the job fine.. drill bits may become to large
post #2681 of 3382 Old 05-11-2012, 08:18 AM

Many thanks Cybervillain and vaktmestern !

I have edited my previous post...

In fact, I need to use a PH00 on the smallest screws of the HMZ, not a PH000 !

Yes, I did not think to try to use a bigger screwdriver size on a smaller screw, but it works (it's a bit logic due to the shape of the screw when you think a bit...).

So the PH00 is the right one for the HMZ small screws, and it can also feet well in the "big" ones (better than the PH000 or PH0, I think).

post #2682 of 3382 Old 05-11-2012, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Any photos of how to remove the gear?

3D items I own:

Sony 46" LX900 active 3D set

Sony HMZ-T3 (Cushion pads and light blocker mod)

LG LW6500 passive 3D set

PS3 & PS4

Sony BDP-S570 BD3D player

JVC-GS-TD1 (with Cyclopital base extender)

Fujifilm W3

Sony Alpha 55 (for 3D panoramic photos)

Quadcopter + Zenmuse and GoPro Hero 3 (Filming...

post #2683 of 3382 Old 05-12-2012, 01:59 AM

Just come across this you tude video showing how to make the HMZ a little more confortable . http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkQPahBZCNk
post #2684 of 3382 Old 05-12-2012, 04:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Pretty much like my cushion pads, but no cushion

3D items I own:

LG LW6500 passive 3D set

PS3 & PS4

Fujifilm W3

post #2685 of 3382 Old 05-12-2012, 09:04 AM
Advanced Member

Cant wait to start to use my hmz-1 more almost zzzz of working on it but its soon finished
post #2686 of 3382 Old 05-12-2012, 09:54 AM

yours are quality , i am going to give it a try and if i feel it helps then i will be ordering yours , how long is the wait these days.
post #2687 of 3382 Old 05-12-2012, 10:38 AM
Advanced Member

Not to diss, the strap kit but the top strap was to short for me. It lifted the hmz-1 to high up as i needed to have the sony straps adjusted quite long back and that lifted the hmz-1 to hight up with the 3D strap kit
post #2688 of 3382 Old 05-12-2012, 12:43 PM

Finally tried one, woo-hoo. Cured the itch instanteniously. First of all, it's NO replacement for PJ... hell, it's not even a replacement for my small 73'' tv. The lens are trying to make you feel sitting in a movie theater, but it's an Alice in Wonderland effect. The screen is not big at all, it's just you who feels disproportionally tiny looking at it. This is essentially an ant cinema. Furthermore, unlike on tv or pj screen, it makes it hard to impossible to focus and really see small details even on parts of the screen that are in focus (I only managed to get about 70-80% of the screen in focus - I have relatively big head, so with lenses as far apart as possible it was still too narrow. Another thing - pixel grid was VERY visible, much worse than I expected, just like in the game screenshot a few pages back. I won't even go into ergonomics.. I was trying hard to get a focus, the problem was obviously big forehead pad - I had to press hard on it to get things sharper. Seems like there's a tiny sweet spot, within 1mm. If I can't snap the thing into focus easily with one move, I don't want it. Having said that, image quality was excelleht, 3d was excellent, blacks, contrast... excellent. But in current state I wouldn't use it even if it was given to me for free. Nice toy for space challenged, but honestly between this and my tv, I'll choose tv, not to mention pj with huge screen. Btw I was demoing some Harry Potter 3d movie.
post #2689 of 3382 Old 05-12-2012, 12:56 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaktmestern View Post

72" is what my x360 detects as well .. almost to big to game on on sum games

Do console games allow you to increase the rendering FOV like in PC games? I use a 46" monitor from 3ft. away and i'm dying for 4k so i can go even bigger with an even higher FOV.

Also, just curious, i've heard you can lower the monitor size in games to get a more realistic amount of 3D, similar to PC 3D, do you all use that workaround?
post #2690 of 3382 Old 05-12-2012, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

We are on orders from March 20th now, really trying to catch up but daily we get more orders. So the wait still may be about 2 months.
I thought it would die down by now, but still so many orders

3D items I own:

LG LW6500 passive 3D set

PS3 & PS4

Fujifilm W3

post #2691 of 3382 Old 05-12-2012, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravia3D View Post

We are on orders from March 20th now, really trying to catch up but daily we get more orders. So the wait still may be about 2 months.
I thought it would die down by now, but still so many orders

#wow# clearly in demand , hard work for your wife , its may not let up any time soon , people who see the best picture in the HMZ will go to any lenghs to get it more confortable as its clearly a step up for 3d viewing .
post #2692 of 3382 Old 05-13-2012, 04:15 AM

i finally have my hmz and love it. already found my sweet spot and it seems like the more i put it on the better the picture. my only concern is there a way i can increase the pop out action? i am currently playing through a ps3. by the way avatar 3d is a must watch on this device, you become totally immersed into the film
post #2693 of 3382 Old 05-13-2012, 05:35 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuieve View Post

Finally tried one, woo-hoo. Cured the itch instanteniously. First of all, it's NO replacement for PJ... hell, it's not even a replacement for my small 73'' tv. The lens are trying to make you feel sitting in a movie theater, but it's an Alice in Wonderland effect. The screen is not big at all, it's just you who feels disproportionally tiny looking at it. This is essentially an ant cinema. Furthermore, unlike on tv or pj screen, it makes it hard to impossible to focus and really see small details even on parts of the screen that are in focus (I only managed to get about 70-80% of the screen in focus - I have relatively big head, so with lenses as far apart as possible it was still too narrow. Another thing - pixel grid was VERY visible, much worse than I expected, just like in the game screenshot a few pages back. I won't even go into ergonomics.. I was trying hard to get a focus, the problem was obviously big forehead pad - I had to press hard on it to get things sharper. Seems like there's a tiny sweet spot, within 1mm. If I can't snap the thing into focus easily with one move, I don't want it. Having said that, image quality was excelleht, 3d was excellent, blacks, contrast... excellent. But in current state I wouldn't use it even if it was given to me for free. Nice toy for space challenged, but honestly between this and my tv, I'll choose tv, not to mention pj with huge screen. Btw I was demoing some Harry Potter 3d movie.

i'm pretty much sure some people have problem with their eyes.
if used properly, this device has no visible pixel grid - unless you really pause your game/movie and really focus on looking for these. during normal use, like playing games or watching movies it is INVISIBLE, especially when you are playing on PC. playing on console? then that is your problem.

this is how bf3 look like on pc, with ultra settings and native 1280x720 resolution - same as OLED screens.

this is how bf3 look like on xbox, not running in native resolution, but rather the picture gets upscaled.

can you see pixel GRID here? no, that's not pixel GRID. it's just low resolution output that gets upscaled to 720p.

i've zoomed 4 times part of the image. here is how pixels look on 720p native ultra output.

same area, same zoom, but xbox version.

see the diffrence?

and as an extra..
frame from underworld awakening 3D.
left and right eye image looped into gif.
can't do much about the colors - gif is an old format.

this is a really visible pixel grid.

photo taken from an LED screen with macro. here you can see each pixel.
RonAlam likes this.
post #2694 of 3382 Old 05-13-2012, 10:24 AM

In my last post i reported setting the 3DTV size in the XBOX360 display setup menu when used on the Sony HMZ makes no difference to the 3D image, if its set to the minimum (around 10inches) and high settings such as 300inches.

I love my HMZ and have tons of 3D games. I accepted that generally for most games 3D depth on it is not extreme, yet very natural and cross talk free. But with gaming, 3D Pop and extreme depth is what we "enjoy" as it heightens the sense of immersion and 'being there'.

But then i bought Avatar, and it completely changed my view of the HMZ. This game from its menus allows you to set the 3DTV size and distance you are viewing from. When you get the size settings correct... And even in the default settings the 3D is better than any game i have played via the HMZ.

So it got me thinking... Maybe the TV size setting in consoles system setup menu does effect 3D depth and "pop". So read a few posts of AVSforums where members recommend setting it between 10 to 12inches. Ok this may sound odd as the HMz is supposed to be simulating a 150in plus screen. But believe me it WORKS and amazingly so, im enjoying my HMZ even more than ever.

Child Of Eden:
When i first bought this game i had played it with the PS3 screen size as default 72inches. I heard a lot about this game. The 3D enable feature was hidden in the active game menu, and not on the main menu. So when i turned it on and was disappointed, i just assumed it's 3D implementation sucks hence they hid the option. 3D depth was very weak, almost to the point where you are confused if things are close or supposed to be far away.

But then i played it with the PS3 screen size at 10inches. OMG! The difference is night and day! The 3D depth becomes AMAZING. You feel like you are flying into an endless abyss. Its really stunning!

Uncharted 3:
With PS3 screen set as default 72inches. Theres depth, but its natural and subtle. Bullets don't come flying at you. Nor do you really "see" the bullet flying thru "air".

With screen set at 10inches its a completely difference experience. I felt vertigo when high up, and you REALLY now feel inside the environment. Bullets whizzing thru the air when you are shot at. Also the enemies red dot laser tracer looks so realistic as it stretches from there position all the way to you. Its really is so much better and shows what the HMZ can do. Im 40% into the game and im tempted to restart. The new 3D Depth is that immerse.

Crysis 2:
Appears to make no difference. (uses SBS)

I determined that setting the TV size effects only games that use real stereoscopic 3D. Games that use Side by Side and Above and Below 3D are not true stereoscopic games and wont be effected. And nor will bluray 3D. I have not checked this on Xbox yet as games on it tend to be side by side.

So give it go, you will end up playing all your 3D games over again for this new immersive 3D depth.

From the PS3 Menu choose "Display Output Settings">Choose HDMI>Automatic>For HMZ Users set Screen Size at 10inches>Finish.

Please note the 3D is extreme with this setting and may not suit everyone and may result in faster onset of eye strain. Remember you can always make fine adjustments to 3D Depth via the games menu.

Love to here how others get on

Update: I tired the PS3 screen size trick on my 3DTv and i can confirm it works too. However on my Samsung active shutter TV using these extreme settings the ghosting/cross talk is very high. Some levels its so bad its too distracting. This is where products like the HMZ really shine. Theres genereally zero crosstalk and in some cases just a tiny bit of ghosting. The ghosting is not distracting at all.
post #2695 of 3382 Old 05-13-2012, 10:56 AM
Advanced Member

Intresting this im gnna try out when i get the chance, good spotting
post #2696 of 3382 Old 05-13-2012, 11:12 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DMamper View Post

So read a few posts of AVSforums where members recommend setting it between 10 to 12inches. Ok this may sound odd as the HMz is supposed to be simulating a 150in plus screen. But believe me it WORKS and amazingly so, im enjoyin my HMZ even more than ever.

A little clarification is necessary for the diverse amount of equipment out there. To my knowledge there is no display-size depth setting on the HMZ itself. It would usually be located in the hardware and/or software of the equipment used that connects to the HMZ's processor unit. For example, my PC has a 3D depth setting located in the laptops NIVDIA control panel that can be used for (compatible) gaming programs. Also Corel WinDVD has a display-size setting from 10" to 100" for the connected NIVDIA 3D Vision monitor which greatly affects 3D depth when set at 10" despite the display size, and is great when playing BD 3D movies etc. On the other hand software like CyberLink PowerDVD 12's 3D scene depth control setting seems to only work when converting 2D media to 3D and not for native 3D sources.

Paul
post #2697 of 3382 Old 05-13-2012, 11:29 AM

Updated my post to clear it up as much as possible.
post #2698 of 3382 Old 05-13-2012, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DMamper View Post

In my last post i reported setting the 3DTV size in the XBOX360 display setup menu when used on the Sony HMZ makes no difference to the 3D image, if its set to the minimum (around 10inches) and high settings such as 300inches.

I love my HMZ and have tons of 3D games. I accepted that generally for most games 3D depth on it is not extreme, yet very natural and cross talk free. But with gaming, 3D Pop and extreme depth is what we "enjoy" as it heightens the sense of immersion and 'being there'.

But then i bought Avatar, and it completely changed my view of the HMZ. This game from its menus allows you to set the 3DTV size and distance you are viewing from. When you get the size settings correct... And even in the default settings the 3D is better than any game i have played via the HMZ.

So it got me thinking... Maybe the TV size setting in consoles system setup menu does effect 3D depth and "pop". So read a few posts of AVSforums where members recommend setting it between 10 to 12inches. Ok this may sound odd as the HMz is supposed to be simulating a 150in plus screen. But believe me it WORKS and amazingly so, im enjoying my HMZ even more than ever.

Child Of Eden:
When i first bought this game i had played it with the PS3 screen size as default 72inches. I heard a lot about this game. The 3D enable feature was hidden in the active game menu, and not on the main menu. So when i turned it on and was disappointed, i just assumed it's 3D implementation sucks hence they hid the option. 3D depth was very weak, almost to the point where you are confused if things are close or supposed to be far away.

But then i played it with the PS3 screen size at 10inches. OMG! The difference is night and day! The 3D depth becomes AMAZING. You feel like you are flying into an endless abyss. Its really stunning!

Uncharted 3:
With PS3 screen set as default 72inches. Theres depth, but its natural and subtle. Bullets don't come flying at you. Nor do you really "see" the bullet flying thru "air".

With screen set at 10inches its a completely difference experience. I felt vertigo when high up, and you REALLY now feel inside the environment. Bullets whizzing thru the air when you are shot at. Its really is so much better and shows what the HMZ can do. Im 40% into the game and im tempted to restart. The new 3D Depth is that immerse.

Crysis 2:
Appears to make no difference.

I determined that setting the TV size effects only games that use real stereoscopic 3D. Games that use Side by Side and Above and Below 3D are not true stereoscopic games and wont be effected. And nor will bluray 3D. I have not checked this on Xbox yet as games on it tend to be side by side.

So give it go, you will end up playing all your 3D games over again for this new immersive 3D depth.

From the PS3 Menu choose "Display Output Settings">Choose HDMI>Automatic>For HMZ Users set Screen Size at 10inches>Finish.

Please note the 3D is extreme with this setting and may not suit everyone and may result in faster onset of eye strain. Remember you can always make fine adjustments to 3D Depth via the games menu.

Love to here how others get on

Well i will give it a go as soon as i get my HMZ back from Sony , the rubber strap has broke and they are not to quick returning it .
post #2699 of 3382 Old 05-13-2012, 11:54 AM
Advanced Member

seems fragile that rear rubber strop, my broke broke aswell
post #2700 of 3382 Old 05-13-2012, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member

yep, the rear rubber strap on mine broke also. I'm using a welders helmet now but I had actually got it to the point where using the original straps was okay for me to. Too bad that sony won't just sell a replacement strap instead of making you send the entire unit in for it, especially since it is so easy to remove the straps anyway.
Reply 3D Displays

Tags
3d Hdtv

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page