Sony HMZ-T1 HMD Owner's dedicated thread - Page 92 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2731 of 3382 Old 05-16-2012, 12:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 62
@paul H.. Glad u keep track of my comments.

Still feel strongly that the screen resolution is the hmz-1 main fault atm see the structure so well and i really would like more shine to the colours. As reflections are really poor on surfaces like paint work on cars or on water reflections.

But the 3D effect is great on it despite the picture faults

Worth the money? yes if modded to fit you. But a deffently No if its stock as if feels rushed of the build quality.

Will ther be a hmz-2 out soon? Based on sonys current financial struggle and they tv lineup toned drasticly down this year No dont think they will for a long while.

What the sony hmz-1 should been is a 3D addon to the ps3 not a stand alone "3D device" Made it cheaper (250-300) and made it more a part of the ps3 exsperience
then it would fly out of the stores.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2732 of 3382 Old 05-16-2012, 01:02 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaktmestern View Post

@paul H.. Glad u keep track of my comments.

Still feel strongly that the screen resolution is the hmz-1 main fault atm see the structure so well and i really would like more shine to the colours. As reflections are really poor on surfaces like paint work on cars or on water reflections.

But the 3D effect is great on it despite the picture faults

Worth the money? yes if modded to fit you. But a deffently No if its stock as if feels rushed of the build quality.

Will ther be a hmz-2 out soon? Based on sonys current financial struggle and they tv lineup toned drasticly down this year No dont think they will for a long while.

What the sony hmz-1 should been is a 3D addon to the ps3 not a stand alone "3D device" Made it cheaper (250-300) and made it more a part of the ps3 exsperience
then it would fly out of the stores.

IMO, there probably will be an HMZ-2 and more.

Sony insider Penton-Man on another thread mentioned just today that "OLED, 4K, etc. is still (in) an ‘awareness’ phase." And that '4K' realistically could be paired with a new display technology (OLED, Crystal LED, etc).. Crystal LEDs can also provide "4K in order to give an overall better PQ to displays as small as 60–65”." (To be the new normal standard in the home)...."Not to mention the fact that it will enable glasses-free 3D viewing" in larger 4K home displays." Quotes are his words, bracketed areas are mine.

Paul
post #2733 of 3382 Old 05-16-2012, 01:04 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi from Spain.
Got mine today, I´m very happy with it, very inmersive, clear oleds screens,etc...
but anybody knows how can I block the light?, the lightblokers are a joke ,light is still visible. Is there any mod or something like that to make disappear any light?

Thanks
post #2734 of 3382 Old 05-16-2012, 01:08 PM
Advanced Member

4k is still sum years off panasonic and sony are now at a chach up race vs lg n samsung who leads the oled race atm..

Hmz-1 was is a gadged sadly marketed wrong to public
post #2735 of 3382 Old 05-16-2012, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Once the orders go down for my cushion pads, I'll be working on a cover that blocks the light. I wish I could have had it done by now, but so many orders keeps us busy!

Panasonic and Sony are teaming up together to make new OLED TV's and share ideas together. Their goal is to make them cheap

3D items I own:

Sony 46" LX900 active 3D set

Sony HMZ-T3 (Cushion pads and light blocker mod)

LG LW6500 passive 3D set

PS3 & PS4

Sony BDP-S570 BD3D player

JVC-GS-TD1 (with Cyclopital base extender)

Fujifilm W3

Sony Alpha 55 (for 3D panoramic photos)

Quadcopter + Zenmuse and GoPro Hero 3 (Filming...

post #2736 of 3382 Old 05-17-2012, 01:44 AM
Advanced Member

Yeh its all a big oled race now .. Dont think im gnna get anotherl large tv untill a bigger oled screen comes down to more humane prices.
post #2737 of 3382 Old 05-17-2012, 05:32 AM

Liked: 18
TBH guys hiw can you blame vaktmestern for having his knee jerk reaction on just having his HMZ for the first few week? Of course he loves it now... cos he had to modd the heck out of a £800 quid "out of the box paper weight".

When i first got my HMZ... i was so angry... really angry... that peeps in the Sony store has the insult to tell me the one i get is better than the store model as its really comfy with the straps! Its the blinking straps that cause the pain.

On the first day i got mine i was ready to pack it up and slam it up a Sony reps behind. But i had read about the comfort mods here first and was prepared to spend time modding it.

And vaktmestern is correct the HMZ 2D images are less bright than a modern LCD/LED screen. Cos if i play 2D content on it then switch to my flat panel TV.... the TV blinds me with its brightness.

The HMZ tricks you into believe its screen is brighter and more colorful because you are isolated in a pitch black scene... never do you tend to play your flat panel in a perfectly black room.... you would have to turn the brightness down.

The 3D picture is indeed brighter and more vibrant that glasses type 3D TV's.

Also i am not surprised if opening and closing the unit randomly got the alignment of lens and hence hes got a perfect sharp image. On first time i opened mine to remove the gear wheel... i got better focus... then i opened it to color the edges of the lens. A small misalignment of putting the screws back and now my focus is not so great on the far right. Its a very hit and miss situation. I'm not opening mine again, the tiny screws are almost 'broken' and tbh we should not have to do all this for a £800 piece of kit. And as vaktmestern said... it should be only £300.

Just my 5cents worth.
post #2738 of 3382 Old 05-17-2012, 03:20 PM

Hey,

I have my hmz since a few weeks now, but yesterday I saw a small dot on the right screen. At first I tought it was a dead pixel, but when I put the top of my mousecursor on it and move the HMZ slowly up and down I can see that it moves away from the cursor.
So I think it has to be a dust particle, but it is INSIDE of the lense. I really don't know how its possible, and I also don't know how to remove it.

Any ideas?

I watched a disassembly video on youtube, but until you reach the inner parts, I almost have to disassemble it completly and I'm not sure if I wanna do this ~.~

In dark scenes it's hardly visible but on a bright scene it's really annoying.

best regards
post #2739 of 3382 Old 05-17-2012, 11:30 PM
Advanced Member

Not shutre if u can since the lenses are glued into place
post #2740 of 3382 Old 05-18-2012, 03:23 AM

3DMamper: I think that modding this thing is almost as fun as watching movies or playing games with it. I know at this price you shouldn't have to mod it, but it is still fun. Mostly cause thrill of losing everything, if you know what I mean.
Speaking of setbacks, I painted those lenses and I used masking tape cover those sensitive parts, but unfortunately some paint still found it's way to bottom right corner.
Do you guys have any idea, what kind of cleaning product can I use to clean it? Is there any restrictions cleaning oled screens can some products harm it?
You can't see those marks when you wear it, but I know its there, so I want it off.
post #2741 of 3382 Old 05-18-2012, 04:04 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
I use pure alcohol to do the clean up.
post #2742 of 3382 Old 05-18-2012, 06:10 AM
Advanced Member

Recomend using a 3DBD player with a video processor with the hmz-1 it really helped the picture to become sharper n clearer happy with it on movies, but on gaming the faults is to visible i get put right off it as it not as good as a hight end tv
post #2743 of 3382 Old 05-18-2012, 06:49 AM

Hi guys. This is the first time I have posted in AVS forums and need a little advice. I apologise in advance if this is the wrong thread to ask this in. I recently bought a HMZ-T1 and am reasonably happy with it.

The main problem I have is connecting it to my PC. If I connect it directly to my DVI output of my MSI NVIDIA 465 GTX card (tri-sli setup) it works fine (obviously without sound) and I get a could picture in various resolutions although I mainly use it in 1080p. However since my video card does not have an audio pass through option I bought a Sarowin DVI/SPDIF to HDMI converter. So basically I have an audio from my MOBO (MSI X58A-GD65) via optical cable to the HDMI converter and then an HDMI cable running to the Sony box. Also I have a DVI cable from the video card to the DVI input of the HDMI converter. So far so good.

Now for the problems.

(1) THE ONLY RESOLUTION I get a visible screen on is 1080p; the problem with this is when ever windows decides to change the screen resolution lower I get a black screen on the Sony headset. The audio comes through fine.

(2) The second problem is both audio and video disconnect every few seconds which conincide with a blue flash on the red led light on the input part of the HDMI converter. This does not happen when I connect the HMZ-T1 directly to to the Sony box. But then I do not have sound through the headset obviously.

I presume the HDMI converter I bought just is not up to the task. My goal is to have SPDIF sound from my MOBO and DVI output from my video card combined into a single HDMI into my Sony box. BTW this works well with my standard HD TV just not the headset.

Does anyone else have experience with this? Or at least can suggest an HDMI converter that actually works with the setup I have? I would really appreciate it as at this point I feel like I have wasted my $800.
post #2744 of 3382 Old 05-18-2012, 01:23 PM

Liked: 12
Look at the red mark on this guy's forehead:

http://kotaku.com/5911381/when-sony-...-pro/gallery/1
post #2745 of 3382 Old 05-18-2012, 05:50 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Go for GTX 670. Work perfectly out of the box without any converter but use 301.40 beta driver. 301.34 driver had some problem with HDMI output.
post #2746 of 3382 Old 05-18-2012, 10:42 PM

seems like many people got their st1080, no review yet though =/
post #2747 of 3382 Old 05-19-2012, 02:27 AM

So no ideas? Or at least no one knows where I can place my question in post #2743 to get some answers?
post #2748 of 3382 Old 05-19-2012, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohd2000 View Post

seems like many people got their st1080, no review yet though =/

This guy owns both and mentions a comparitive review over the weekend:

He's in a better position to compare the two since he can quickly swap one for the other in an A/B comparison. Keep in mind most people that review these things often have to rely on their memory of the other one, often tested days , weeks, or even months previously. Over periods of time our recollections of the sensation are built more on our mind's colorful interpretation of the event, rather that the actual raw sensation.
---

As an example, forum readers, do you recall if the first sip of a drink you had today was warmer or colder than the first sip of a drink you had yesterday? Of course not! These sorts of things must be compared immediately, right after one another, not days a part.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

post #2749 of 3382 Old 05-19-2012, 09:20 AM

http://the-games-veda.blogspot.com/2...view-part.html

He apparently loves it. He mentions the HMZ-T1 has much better colors and blacks but seems to favor the ST1080 overall.

Now I want to know how much input lag it has...
post #2750 of 3382 Old 05-19-2012, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerninja View Post

http://the-games-veda.blogspot.com/2...view-part.html

He apparently loves it. He mentions the HMZ-T1 has much better colors and blacks but seems to favor the ST1080 overall.

Now I want to know how much input lag it has...

That guy is either high, idiot or has severe ADD. I never read such a lengthy mess of thoughts with essentially zero useful information. The only thing I got from his inane gibberrish is that st1080 is easier to put on one's head (if you haven't figured it out from pics yet). But then if you look at his blog you will get a picture...
post #2751 of 3382 Old 05-19-2012, 10:26 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuieve View Post

That guy is either high, idiot or has severe ADD

IMO, He's definitely high on the initial experience and is confronting a lot of distractions.
post #2752 of 3382 Old 05-19-2012, 10:27 AM

Liked: 11
i fully agree with nuieve. this article is a complete waste of time! so many lies there..

besides:
Quote:

The ST1080 is aimed at a different audience , setup menus do not have the beauty of the Sony designed ones

oh yeah? i guess it will look like this:

i find this kind of menu in this century a total disappointment. how difficult would it be to put something more eye-friendly?

i believe smd is 'just another hmd' but it's nowhere close to be a rival against hmz-t1 - smd will be more for productivity/technology while hmz-t1 is pure pleasure experience (if you skip the pain part). so future hmd makers.. make it look like smd, but keep sony quality please!

talking about being high with hmd.. how about sharing some experiences? ^_^
post #2753 of 3382 Old 05-19-2012, 11:43 AM
Advanced Member

i don't know if he is telling any lies or not. After all he does have both of the hmds to compare against each other. At least his comments on the Sony are pretty much true to what I have experienced with it. It does produce a nice colorful image with great black levels but it also has focus issues and comfort issues.

I'm really interested in reading more coherently written impressions from other people who have both the ST1080 and the Sony unit. Should be plenty of them over the next couple of weeks.
post #2754 of 3382 Old 05-19-2012, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D1rtyHarry View Post

So no ideas? Or at least no one knows where I can place my question in post #2743 to get some answers?

I'm not really sure where you can get an answer. My guess is that most people on here who use this through a PC typically have video cards with hdmi out. I personally don't use a PC as an input source to mine (i use PS3, 360, Dune TiVo, etc). It seems strange that you can only do 1080 and not 720.

At one point in time I had a PC with DVI and used a DVI->HDMI cable and it worked fine with multiple resolutions.. i didn't have the HMZ back then so it's hard to tell if it would've worked... It was just a regular cable with DVI on one end and HDMI on the other... I believe it was made by RCA.

Lex Luthor, Ruler of Australia, activate the machine!
post #2755 of 3382 Old 05-20-2012, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DMamper View Post

TBH guys hiw can you blame vaktmestern for having his knee jerk reaction on just having his HMZ for the first few week?

And vaktmestern is correct

. And as vaktmestern said... it should be only £300.

Just my 5cents worth.

Hi Vakmestern !

Just my 5cents worth
post #2756 of 3382 Old 05-20-2012, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member

The siliconoptic is one i might go for during the summer, seemes its more user friendly than the sony.
post #2757 of 3382 Old 05-21-2012, 10:40 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Guys, how do you store your HMZ? Just wondering, cause the plastic looks easily scratch.
post #2758 of 3382 Old 05-21-2012, 11:41 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by flargosa View Post

Guys, how do you store your HMZ? Just wondering, cause the plastic looks easily scratch.

On a polystyrene head attached to a shelf using a wig clamp. Works a treat
post #2759 of 3382 Old 05-21-2012, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
LOL - good one!
post #2760 of 3382 Old 05-22-2012, 02:09 AM

When I first got my HMZ-T1 I found it to be very uncomfortable.

So I got myself a welders insert and tried that - no go.

So I got myself a cycle helmet and tried that - no go.

Put the original harness back onto the HMZ-T1 and was just about to give up when I had a brainwave.

Put my beanie on (it’s cold here in Oz) and then the HMZ-T1 and the result was just brilliant. So a $10 beanie solved all of my problems
Reply 3D Displays

Tags
3d Hdtv

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page