LG 47LW5300, 55LW5300, 42LW5300 passive 3D thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 181 Old 12-12-2011, 04:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My first LED which I bought from Amazon. I understand there are some flashlighting issues with LEDs but I didn't expect it to look like this. The two "cloudy" pictures are with Tru-Motion (High) and Local Dimming on. Should the panel look like this? Is it because Tru and Dimming cause all LED's to light-up somewhat?

The 3rd picture is with Tru-Motion and Local Dimming turned off. I'm aware it's pretty much just a black picture, but the panel is on.

I guess I just wanted to find out what future issues I would see and if the panel would get worse (better) over time.

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Attachment 230622

Attachment 230623

Attachment 230624
LL
LL
LL

Andy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 181 Old 12-12-2011, 05:52 PM

For those struggling with the inability to change picture settings while in 3D mode, "standard" in 3D does retain whatever customizations you've enabled in "standard (user)" while in 2D mode. You can also use the "av mode" button to switch between several 3D PQ modes. So feel free to experiment to our heart's content.

My other suggestions are to try color at 90 with a warm-cool at W10 and dynamic contrast set to medium. Colors pop like nobody's business without looking unnatural. Love this set.

EDIT: Andy- my set does not look like that, but it very well might on overexposed photos. I found that enabling local dimming took care of any clouding.
post #33 of 181 Old 12-12-2011, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I never watch black screen so can't say if mine is similar or not and camera is more sensitive than my eye: I did test of how bright the screen is at large viewing angles, I don't see any difference in amount of light even at 85 degrees off center, but camera's meter tells me it's dropping at least 3 times. When I took a picture of dark screen, it shows lighter and darker patches like yours since it will boost the light, but all I see is uniform screen, so it's difficult to tell, pictures could be deceiving. I have no problem with screen uniformity or light leakage on mine, but I never watch TV in total darkness either, my eyes hurt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akedwa View Post

My first LED which I bought from Amazon. I understand there are some flashlighting issues with LEDs but I didn't expect it to look like this. The two "cloudy" pictures are with Tru-Motion (High) and Local Dimming on. Should the panel look like this? Is it because Tru and Dimming cause all LED's to light-up somewhat?

The 3rd picture is with Tru-Motion and Local Dimming turned off. I'm aware it's pretty much just a black picture, but the panel is on.

I guess I just wanted to find out what future issues I would see and if the panel would get worse (better) over time.

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Attachment 230622

Attachment 230623

Attachment 230624

post #34 of 181 Old 12-13-2011, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volblood View Post

Has anyone seen this the lw5300 and lw5600 side by side? I would like to know how much difference there is in picture quality.

Has anyone tried this? I'm curious too as I'm deciding between the lw5300 & lw5600, if the only difference is really smart apps, I could buy something external. I've seen some results on comparing the 42lw5300 and the 47lw5600 which seems to favor the lw5300.

http://www.televisioninfo.com/conten...G-47LW5600.htm

Obviously the only thing holding me from buying the lw5300 is the smart apps & the ability to adjust 3D settings, but both could be worked around.
post #35 of 181 Old 12-14-2011, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

I have 47LW5300 and despite some postings to the contrary, after looking at my screen with the scope, it appears to be S-IPS panel (it would be nice if other members could confirm if their LW5300 has IPS panel, can't find any info on the internet), that would make it same panel as LW5600. Internet option you could get on Blue Ray player (too bad included BR player does not have internet, but I hear Panasonic BR's come with free Avatar 3D? could be tempting), but no matter what, this will not replace, at least for me, need to have computer hooked up to it, so this web access could be totally redundant for some and therefore no need for secondary pointing remote which LW5600 gets as well. That leaves capability of menu access during 3D: now some say LW5600 has this, others it doesn't (could it be version of firmware dependent?), but I think the way it works on LW5300 is, that it takes normal settings and adjust them for 3D (probably boosts brightness, to offset loss from glasses, disables true motion etc.). So once you adjust normal settings properly, shouldn't they work in 3D as well? It could be redundant function as well? At the end, it's only a TV, I'm not going to loose sleep over it and just about any set has some deficiencies. So far I'm pretty happy with it: input delay, chroma 4 2 2 on PC input and constant switching by itself from "just scan" which I want for 0 overscan, into that 16:9 stupid stretch of 4:3 programs (why is this even on LCD) are my only complains so far. I'm surprised how well 2D-3D works.
post #36 of 181 Old 12-14-2011, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

I was looking at macro shot of my screen and just realized, besides being chevron shape with arrow pointing to the right, which is kind of normal for IPS screen, it has unusual subpixel order, it seems to be Blue, Green, Red in that order, not RGB, like most other panels I ever seen up close, almost like the screen was installed upside down. Anybody else noticed it?
post #37 of 181 Old 12-14-2011, 11:14 AM

New to the forums. Hello! I've browsed for years but never registered because my problems have always already been solved by someone else.

I just picked up the LG 55LW5300 bundle that came with the barebones (no wifi) BD-645 3D Blu-Ray player about 2 weeks ago and everything worked well out of the box with my Pioneer 931 receiver. Up until two days ago...

I picked up The Polar Express 3D Blu-Ray to watch with the kids. I put it in and watched a couple of minutes of it with my wife. No problem. It has the exact features our HD-DVD (RIP) version had so my wife begged me to play the "Josh Groban Live at the Greek Theater" of that song "Believe" which is in 2D (I believe, ) The screen went black but you could hear audio. The audio would cut out every couple of seconds for a couple of seconds and after about a minute I turned it off and it went back to the Main Menu in 3D. Didn't watch any Blu-Rays for 2 days.

Yesterday I picked up Kung-Fu Panda 2 in 3D and watched a couple of minutes of it before my kids got home (holy cow! Amazing btw!). They finished their homework and asked to watch Cars2 on Blu-Ray. I put it in and again no picture just audio. Powering the machine on/off you get the LG splash screen but then it goes to the "no signal" cube screensaver and the machine just locks up with a Blu-Ray in it and now all 3 of the 3D movies I have make it lock up (Tron Legacy, KFP2 and Polar Express). I put in a regular DVD of Raiders of the Lost Ark and I got the off/on audio that I got with Josh Groban.

Did Josh Groban kill my system? I digress.

I then tried hooking the player up bypassing the receiver to see if it was a receiver setting. Same thing. Nothing.

I hooked up my Vizio Blu-Ray player through the receiver and it played Cars 2 perfectly.

I hooked up the LG BD-645 to my old Sony SXRD directly and it played Cars 2 perfectly. While I had it on and working, I upgraded the firmware with USB and returned it to factory settings.

I hooked it all back up and reset my tv to factory and (drumroll)... Same thing. Locks up as soon as you put a 3D Blu-ray or Blu-Ray in (Says "16:02" whatever that means? Error code?). Raiders of the Lost Ark DVD plays but no picture and the sound goes on/off intermittently.

I looked hi/low for a similar thread and found nothing. If any of you have the fix or an idea of what's going on you would be my best AVS friend! Thank you! ---Chris

P.S. Xbox 360 plays perfectly through the same HDMI 3 connection. Forgot to mention. I'm posted this in the LG BDxxx player thread as well to see if anyone can answer this.
post #38 of 181 Old 12-14-2011, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cxracer View Post

New to the forums. Hello! I've browsed for years but never registered because my problems have always already been solved by someone else.

I just picked up the LG 55LW5300 bundle that came with the barebones (no wifi) BD-645 3D Blu-Ray player about 2 weeks ago and everything worked well out of the box with my Pioneer 931 receiver. Up until two days ago...

I picked up The Polar Express 3D Blu-Ray to watch with the kids. I put it in and watched a couple of minutes of it with my wife. No problem. It has the exact features our HD-DVD (RIP) version had so my wife begged me to play the "Josh Groban Live at the Greek Theater" of that song "Believe" which is in 2D (I believe, ) The screen went black but you could hear audio. The audio would cut out every couple of seconds for a couple of seconds and after about a minute I turned it off and it went back to the Main Menu in 3D. Didn't watch any Blu-Rays for 2 days.

Yesterday I picked up Kung-Fu Panda 2 in 3D and watched a couple of minutes of it before my kids got home (holy cow! Amazing btw!). They finished their homework and asked to watch Cars2 on Blu-Ray. I put it in and again no picture just audio. Powering the machine on/off you get the LG splash screen but then it goes to the "no signal" cube screensaver and the machine just locks up with a Blu-Ray in it and now all 3 of the 3D movies I have make it lock up (Tron Legacy, KFP2 and Polar Express). I put in a regular DVD of Raiders of the Lost Ark and I got the off/on audio that I got with Josh Groban.

Did Josh Groban kill my system? I digress.

I then tried hooking the player up bypassing the receiver to see if it was a receiver setting. Same thing. Nothing.

I hooked up my Vizio Blu-Ray player through the receiver and it played Cars 2 perfectly.

I hooked up the LG BD-645 to my old Sony SXRD directly and it played Cars 2 perfectly. While I had it on and working, I upgraded the firmware with USB and returned it to factory settings.

I hooked it all back up and reset my tv to factory and (drumroll)... Same thing. Locks up as soon as you put a 3D Blu-ray or Blu-Ray in (Says "16:02" whatever that means? Error code?). Raiders of the Lost Ark DVD plays but no picture and the sound goes on/off intermittently.

I looked hi/low for a similar thread and found nothing. If any of you have the fix or an idea of what's going on you would be my best AVS friend! Thank you! ---Chris

P.S. Xbox 360 plays perfectly through the same HDMI 3 connection. Forgot to mention. I'm posted this in the LG BDxxx player thread as well to see if anyone can answer this.

r u using a high speed hdmi cable or 1.4, im not sure if not using one would fix your problem or not, but the 1.3 hsmi cables arent supposed to compatible with 3D,
post #39 of 181 Old 12-14-2011, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wp34gsh View Post

r u using a high speed hdmi cable or 1.4, im not sure if not using one would fix your problem or not, but the 1.3 hsmi cables arent supposed to compatible with 3D,

I am using 1.4 cables that I just bought a couple of days ago. Funny thing is the 3D worked with the old 1.3 cables when I first put it all together 2 weeks ago. I wonder if it's the new cables? Hmmmmm. I will try that.
post #40 of 181 Old 12-14-2011, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

original HDMI spec was based on DVI computer spec (pretty much adding that stinking HDCP protection and nothing else) which was fast enough for 1080p at 60Hz,(1.2) and 1080p 120Hz(HDMI1.3). But since just about all broadcast is at most 1080i 60Hz, some cables, even not meeting the spec would work fine in the past. With 3D came HDMI 1.4 defining new protocols etc but as cables are concerned if they meet original 1.3 spec of 10Gb rate, they should be fine with all current 3D content. HDMI 1.4 supports even higher transmission rates and resolutions, but there are no consumer devices yet using those new specs. So, older cables should work just fine, but in any case if something doesn't work you check cables first, they do break or be defective from factory.
post #41 of 181 Old 12-15-2011, 07:40 PM

Thanks for the responses. I re-hooked it up after resetting it to default on my other tv and was able to get the Polar Express and Kung Fu Panda to play in 3D. I went to that same Josh Groban thing and it went to "no signal" again and there's no turning back unless I go to my other tv again. There's something not communicating the difference between 3D and 2D signals in the DVD player somewhere (???)
Hmm. I'm thinking about just upgrading to a better 3D Blu Ray player and putting this pos on ebay.
post #42 of 181 Old 12-16-2011, 12:26 AM

Is there specific things to look for to make sure the unit is in good shape when it arrives? I've seen mentions of flashlighting, and clouding, but as a new owner, are there specific things to look for?
post #43 of 181 Old 12-16-2011, 03:50 PM

I have a quick question hopefully someone can help me with.

Im using the 5300 for gaming and when it set the input to PC the picture seems much more washed out even with the exact same settings compared to when its not set to PC input.

Is there anyway to retain the crisp picture but reduce the input latency?
post #44 of 181 Old 12-16-2011, 11:03 PM
AVS Special Member

did you try gaming mode? Also me think maybe your video card needs to be tweaked ? Actually I never tried non PC mode and it also doesn't look as good as it should be, maybe you found the answer I'm looking for? Under PC mode some settings are unavailable, maybe extra processing fixes the picture, but extra processing is what causes input lag, let me know if you find solution.
post #45 of 181 Old 12-16-2011, 11:20 PM

Got my 47lw5300 today and it looks great. Is there a recommended site that has settings for the picture quality? Seems like most are for the 5600. I'll probably have to do the THX thing, seems the easiest, but didn't want to go out to pick up the RCA.
post #46 of 181 Old 12-17-2011, 12:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Judging by the number and dates of posts seems to me LW5300 is newer line than 5600, so less experience with it, but they both seem very similar, except for Smart TV part, so the settings should work but those are ballpark anyhow. You need to adjust it for your liking, lights and your particular set, that's why some people do full calibration.
I keep reminding everybody you can brick your TV just by accessing wrong service menu item.
post #47 of 181 Old 12-17-2011, 12:36 AM
AVS Special Member

I just double checked, PC label gives me sharpest, clearest fonts by far, game mode is similar.
But I know what you're saying, when looking at the pictures in non PC mode they seem sharper, maybe even over sharpened, due to all the processing. You probably need to adjust contrast, backlight and color to compensate in PC mode for limited processing it gets, otherwise input lag will make gaming difficult. Also check the text, in non PC mode text looks horrible with artifacts and it's hard to read, in PC mode text, especially small font, is much better, but still not perfect.

QUOTE=DrGonzo615;21358504]I have a quick question hopefully someone can help me with.

Im using the 5300 for gaming and when it set the input to PC the picture seems much more washed out even with the exact same settings compared to when its not set to PC input.

Is there anyway to retain the crisp picture but reduce the input latency?[/quote]
post #48 of 181 Old 12-17-2011, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete4 View Post

did you try gaming mode? Also me think maybe your video card needs to be tweaked ? Actually I never tried non PC mode and it also doesn't look as good as it should be, maybe you found the answer I'm looking for? Under PC mode some settings are unavailable, maybe extra processing fixes the picture, but extra processing is what causes input lag, let me know if you find solution.

well a lot of the processing options arent available once you put it into PC mode. Also I should clarify that Im gaming on a ps3 and not a PC.

but ive fiddled around with the settings and I still cant get the blacks as dark as they are in normal tv mode, which is the biggest change, all the blacks and darks seem to turn into greys....even with the contrast ratio turned all the way up and the Black level setting turned to low
post #49 of 181 Old 12-17-2011, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGonzo615 View Post

well a lot of the processing options arent available once you put it into PC mode. Also I should clarify that Im gaming on a ps3 and not a PC.

but ive fiddled around with the settings and I still cant get the blacks as dark as they are in normal tv mode, which is the biggest change, all the blacks and darks seem to turn into greys....even with the contrast ratio turned all the way up and the Black level setting turned to low

Make sure local dimming is on (you can still do this in PC mode)
post #50 of 181 Old 12-17-2011, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrykewy View Post

Make sure local dimming is on (you can still do this in PC mode)

it is on in the settings but it doesnt seem like it will dim at all. Anyone else have this issue?
post #51 of 181 Old 12-18-2011, 06:06 AM

has anyone else experienced any lip sync issues when converting 2d blu ray to 3d.

i am not suing the LG 3d blu ray player that came with this set, i have a sony bdp-s580 3d blu ray player hooked up, and a few times now when i have converted a movie from 2d to 3d, i have hd the lip sync issue, two examples are avatar and star trek the motion picure,

luckily the sony play has a lip sync setting to i can fix it, but i just wanted to see if there was something with the tv

for the record, im going hdmi fromplayer straight to tv.

i use a coax ccale for audio to my receiver, but the couple times i have had the lip sync prolem i didnt even have my receiver on, just the tv
post #52 of 181 Old 12-18-2011, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Seems to be working on mine. The only time it's clear it doesn't work is when there is no signal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGonzo615 View Post

it is on in the settings but it doesnt seem like it will dim at all. Anyone else have this issue?

post #53 of 181 Old 12-18-2011, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Anybody came across Service manual for LW5300? All I found is schematics for LW5600, but not 5300, wonder how much difference between those two. Also service manual should explain service menus, which I'm very tempted to access, but have hard time to figure what the options do and some could break the TV.
post #54 of 181 Old 12-20-2011, 08:07 AM

Has anyone ever noticed a weird brightness type effect in certain times? It's hard to explain... It's almost like the Contrast is too high sometimes but at other times it's just fine. It's like the tv can't handle the brightness of a scene on the screen and it creates a flashing effect but immediately goes away...

Am I crazy here or has this happened to other people?
post #55 of 181 Old 12-20-2011, 10:09 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Go into the menu and look for a setting which auto adjusts the screen brightness according to the lights in the room, and/or reduce the level of local dimming. I had the same issue until I did this on mine. Sorry, I can't remember the exact names of the settings now as I am not near the set. I do have the 5600 model though, so not sure if the 5300 has the same settings?
post #56 of 181 Old 12-20-2011, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Wouldn't that be under energy saving, something like green button on remote, I think Auto would have light sensing diode activated, I'm not sure now, it was the first thing I disabled.
post #57 of 181 Old 12-20-2011, 03:25 PM

Just ordered one today for $840, free shipping, no tax. Can't wait until it gets here. Replacing a 50" Pani rear projection that popped a lamp in my kids playroom. $500 to replace the lamp in the Pani.

It will mostly be used for TV and Wii. Now I need to get a 3D projector for the HT to replace my 720p projector and I'll be set.

How did I survive growing up with a 13" black and white and PONG??

Dave
post #58 of 181 Old 12-21-2011, 10:13 PM

Thanks guys! As it turns out, I had LED Local Dimming turned ON. Once I turned it off that flashing effect I mentioned was gone.

Now, can anyone recommend a good HDMI cord? The one I'm using is 4 years old. It works well, but with 3D I guess I better get a new one.
post #59 of 181 Old 12-21-2011, 10:19 PM

Has anyone had an issue with the picture going in & out (well, the source I suppose) randomly? I turned the channel on my HD box, and the picture went in & out as if it wasn't able to "connect" to the source, then it said no input. Turned the tv off, and back on, and it worked without issue.

Happened once yesterday, once today. For now it's not a big deal, but if it's something that could get worse.
post #60 of 181 Old 12-22-2011, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Try another cable, if you can, but also could indicate HDCP issue. I had something like that with my older Westinghouse and FIOS box, couple times a day screen would go blank with DUI msg on DVR, improper handshake or something and then comeback 10sec later.
Never had any issue with LW5300 yet.
Reply 3D Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page