Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 181 Old 12-22-2011, 09:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by foladar View Post

Got my 47lw5300 today and it looks great. Is there a recommended site that has settings for the picture quality? Seems like most are for the 5600. I'll probably have to do the THX thing, seems the easiest, but didn't want to go out to pick up the RCA.

I just did a search on CNET for the 5600 and used those settings. The 5300 seems to have the exact same settings options for controlling the picture. I was able to change all the values to what CNET recommended, however I am really displeased with CNet's settings. The picture is so dark, and it turns anything that was supposed to be white into almost a dull cream color. For the life of me I don't know what they are thinking. Maybe I am just not a big enough video guru to understand how their settings are better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 181 Old 12-22-2011, 04:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete4 View Post

Try another cable, if you can, but also could indicate HDCP issue. I had something like that with my older Westinghouse and FIOS box, couple times a day screen would go blank with DUI msg on DVR, improper handshake or something and then comeback 10sec later.
Never had any issue with LW5300 yet.

I had something similar with my last TV and my xbox, if it happens again, I'll try switching inputs and back to see if that resolves it (thats how I use to fix it w/ the Xbox). If it's a HDCP issue, how would that be fixed?
post #63 of 181 Old 12-22-2011, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Let me give you more details: I had old Westinghouse, originally hooked up to 8300 DVR from Cablevision, everything worked fine until one of the (almost daily) software updates. Then I started getting messages about unauthorized use over secured HDMI connection from HDCP (don't remember exact words) and blank screen for few seconds, then picture would come back until next time few hours or so later. After few weeks of this nonsense another software update fixed this for good. Forward couple yrs later I switched to FIOS and then started getting this 10 sec blank screens again once or twice a day. No fix ever came and I never complained to FIOS. Now got new LG and never seen that problem again.
One fix would be to request firmware update, another to use component cable which doesn't have this troublesome content protection. I believe it was some type of HDCP handshake issue and I blame it solely on HDCP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foladar View Post

I had something similar with my last TV and my xbox, if it happens again, I'll try switching inputs and back to see if that resolves it (thats how I use to fix it w/ the Xbox). If it's a HDCP issue, how would that be fixed?

post #64 of 181 Old 12-23-2011, 01:56 PM

Hi,

I'm still undecided on the passive vs active.

The only issue I've heard of with passive is some aliasing artifacts and moire artifacts that occur. I've heard the lg models have substantially less noticeable artifacts than the vizio.

Seeing as the new firmware is said to improve image quality noticeably, I would like to hear if someone has tried it in some of the more troublesome content(for example Tron 3d movie), and if the issue is partially or fully resolved with the new image algorithm.

Steampowered world... for a steampowered god.
post #65 of 181 Old 12-24-2011, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

You really should go to some large electronic store and judge for yourself on models in your price range. Each one have it's pluses and minuses. For example some people see blinking on active sets and that kills it for them. Others complain passive is not full resolution etc. I preffer passive just for inexpensive, light glasses compatible with every passive set. On good TV with good source I don't see much difference, they can both look awesome.
post #66 of 181 Old 12-25-2011, 05:23 PM

I just recieved my 42LW5300 last week. I have watched directv 3d channels with no problems. I also played MW3 on my Xbox with 2d-3d conversion, and while it wasn't full 3d it was very enjoyable. My problem came when I tried to watch Ice Age 3 in 3d. Anytime one of the characters runs or wiggles a tail they become unwatchable. I have trumotion off and local dimming off. I am using the supplied 3d player as my source. Anyone else having problems such as this?
post #67 of 181 Old 12-26-2011, 06:29 PM

I just viewed the 47LW5300 that I bought my son for Christmas. The TV does have the flashlight effect on the top right, center, and bottom right. However, it is only noticeable when looking at a DVD with black bars at the top or bottom or if the screen is all black except for white letters as shown at the beginning or end of a movie. When the screen is completely full you I cannot notice a lighting issue.
The picture is excellent. I lean towards a vivid picture setting but the default setting had too much dynamic contrast. I turned it down to low and turned off true motion and the picture is great.

Watched part of Cars 2 in 3D and I thought the picture was sharp and clear. Keeping in mind that the cost at Amazon was only $800 I have no complaints.

The DVD is very basic but worked fine.
post #68 of 181 Old 12-27-2011, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

What type of recording was it? (side by side/top bottom/ interlaced).
I actually never used any 3D player with 3D content on my computer, just the regular player. Try to play it in regular player if you can and manually tell TV how to display it. You'll see what type is it by 2D picture, for example if picture is side by side screens, then choose that manually. Also make sure there is no overscanning on TV (just scan) or Xbox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwnelson View Post

I just recieved my 42LW5300 last week. I have watched directv 3d channels with no problems. I also played MW3 on my Xbox with 2d-3d conversion, and while it wasn't full 3d it was very enjoyable. My problem came when I tried to watch Ice Age 3 in 3d. Anytime one of the characters runs or wiggles a tail they become unwatchable. I have trumotion off and local dimming off. I am using the supplied 3d player as my source. Anyone else having problems such as this?

post #69 of 181 Old 12-27-2011, 03:29 PM

Bought the 47LW5300 set on Black Friday from Walmart on Ship-to-store (just missed the Amazon deal). Have it setup in a 2nd room as I need a larger entertainment center for it.

Thus far, I've tested 3D Harry Potter and 3D Tangled on it with no noticeable blooms and/or screen artifacts. I went to the 47 over the 42 specifically due to the lack of local dimming on the 42. My tests have been in darkened room and while I probably need to turn the brightness/backlight down some, the darks have been much more easily discernable than my old 2D Vizio (non-LED). I too have talked to the LG techs who assure me that the only difference between the -300 and -600 is the services. The panels, timings, etc are all identical.

As my receiver (Onkyo TX-SR606) won't support the HDMI 1.4 (I bought dirt-cheap fry High-speed cables that work fine), I had my wife get me the Panny dmp-bdt310 for Xmas so that I can run audio through the receiver, and the video straight to the TV until I determine which new receiver I get to blow $$$ on.
post #70 of 181 Old 12-27-2011, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Actually LG website lists local dimming as a feature on the whole lw5300 line including 42 inch. But I think the difference in price between 47 and 42 is too little to justify smaller set unless space is a real issue. I do remember one website was actually selling 42 inch model for $50 more than 47.
Good luck with your new set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-Town_Dan View Post

Bought the 47LW5300 set on Black Friday from Walmart on Ship-to-store (just missed the Amazon deal). Have it setup in a 2nd room as I need a larger entertainment center for it.

Thus far, I've tested 3D Harry Potter and 3D Tangled on it with no noticeable blooms and/or screen artifacts. I went to the 47 over the 42 specifically due to the lack of local dimming on the 42. My tests have been in darkened room and while I probably need to turn the brightness/backlight down some, the darks have been much more easily discernable than my old 2D Vizio (non-LED). I too have talked to the LG techs who assure me that the only difference between the -300 and -600 is the services. The panels, timings, etc are all identical.

As my receiver (Onkyo TX-SR606) won't support the HDMI 1.4 (I bought dirt-cheap fry High-speed cables that work fine), I had my wife get me the Panny dmp-bdt310 for Xmas so that I can run audio through the receiver, and the video straight to the TV until I determine which new receiver I get to blow $$$ on.

post #71 of 181 Old 12-28-2011, 07:44 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CKocher View Post

Thanks guys! As it turns out, I had LED Local Dimming turned ON. Once I turned it off that flashing effect I mentioned was gone.

Now, can anyone recommend a good HDMI cord? The one I'm using is 4 years old. It works well, but with 3D I guess I better get a new one.

Shouldn't local dimming be on for best black levels tho?
Also where did you find the info to turn on THX modes?
post #72 of 181 Old 12-28-2011, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Since local dimming is locally and dynamically adjusting backlight, depending on the brightness of the scene, you can't have it on during calibration since you don't know what is it doing at the moment and logically if you want the set to stay well calibrated, you shouldn't have it on later neither.
That doesn't mean you can't have it on, it's just the set won't be perfectly calibrated anymore. But the question is: was it?
You can enable THX in service menu (google LG service menu for details). Be aware you can brick your set by accessing or setting wrong menu item there.
Now the TV should be factory calibrated for THX work as advertised, since it is disabled, is the set calibrated properly anyway and its only Lucas license issue only, or isn't it? At least it could be a good start for later calibration.
BTW I use local dimming, but only did some eye ball calibration so far, but it works fine for me.
post #73 of 181 Old 12-28-2011, 09:11 PM

I'm pretty sure the 42L5300 (or last yr's equivalent) is the set my friend has been considering. I was skeptical when he said it has local dimming with 3D at the price charged, so I did some checking to see if it actually IS local dimming, which USED to mean a FULL array of LEDs behind the screen are employed, vs what some call I believe Zone Dimming, where far less LEDs are used, each being responsible for a sector of the screen.

The problem is, I can't find ANY info anywhere that says anything about how many actual LEDs these sets use or where they're placed. I gotta say though, those pics of the flash lighting don't look promising. It's as if they only put one LED in each corner.

When you start seeing TVs with 120Hz, 3D and local dimming at prices not much different than mere edge lit 2D TVs were selling for recently, you have to wonder if they've designed them with considerable tradeoffs, and even changed the definition of local dimming in the process.

So does anyone know how many LEDs these sets used and how they're placed?
post #74 of 181 Old 12-28-2011, 10:05 PM
AVS Special Member

LW5300 line has edge LED backlight. I had the info somewhere, but not going to look now, so from memory 47 and 55 have 8 LED's along each vertical edge, 42 has 6, but I could be wrong.
LG calls it local dimming, but technically it is zone dimming.
I believe you're referring to full array LED backlight or something along those lines with something between 96 and 256 LEDS? which this set is not.
As far as "flashlighting" you saw on the pictures, it seems to me, when there is no signal the backlight is full on and it's visible, once the signal is on LED's dim and I never notice it, but I'm sure if one starts obsessing about it, he'll always see something.
This is basically no frills, basic set, without Smart Tv and other things. I think you'll need to go to LW 9600 series to get full array LED's (96) and 256 Leds model never got to USA at all this yr. and they cost probably couple pennies more. Hope this helps.
post #75 of 181 Old 12-28-2011, 11:03 PM

Thanks Pete. I warned my friend it was probably just edge lighting. Guess I was right.
Quote:

LG calls it local dimming, but technically it is zone dimming.

Damned straight bro! It shouldn't be called Local Dimming if it isn't.
Quote:

I think you'll need to go to LW 9600 series to get full array LED's (96) and 256 Leds model never got to USA at all this yr. and they cost probably couple pennies more.

If you mean a 256 LED costs barely more than one with 96 LEDs, I have a hard time believing that. It would take a considerably more complex and powerful controller and firmware to run Local Dimming with nearly 3 times as many bulbs, not to mention a more robust power supply and ventilation system, and the cost of 160 more bulbs.

As far as only 96 LED models in the US, it appears you're right, and worse yet, after further checking it appears number of LEDs is yet another thing LG are exaggerating heavily on.

Check this out:

"Hello Mr. Holliday,

I just received the information from Engineering in regards to the dimming zones.

55LW9800 has 96 dimming zones and 1152 total LEDs."

Source: http://answers.lg.com/answers/7676/p.../questions.htm

First the panel lottery thing, which they're still doing, now they're calling Zone Dimming Local Dimming, and this 1152 LED BS seems to be another extreme exaggeration possibly to do with the diffuser film they use on their nano models, as if that somehow magically gives you 12 times more lights. Add to that the CNET review on even their flagship model talking of too dark a screen when the modes that take advantage of deep blacks are employed, and problems with haloing, and it sounds like LG is really deceptively cutting corners more than innovating.
post #76 of 181 Old 12-29-2011, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

I may be confusing number of LED's with number of dimming zones, sorry. I had all those specs somewhere, can't find it now and I wasn't willing to spend all the extra money for higher end sets, so maybe I wasn't paying much attention to details.
When I said couple pennies more I was being little sarcastic, probably the price is double or more due to lower production run, higher material costs and those being flagship sets for LG.
LG should have OLED TV at 2012 CES, which could solve most of the current LED issues, but I'm sure at much higher price initially.
The problem with TV's this days IMO is consumer looking for the cheapest deals (and I'm guilty here as well), sometimes accepting really substandard products and companies that need to follow that trend. I'm shopping for laptop now and out of hundreds of models available, there are maybe 4 using IPS panels. Rest have TN panels with maybe 5 degree viewing angles, so there is no easy way to work on it without constant color shifting, really pathetic.
Anyhow, IMO XXLW5300 for it's price is not a bad 3D TV, but it is probably bottom of LG's 3D line up and won't have all those "nano" line features for sure.
post #77 of 181 Old 12-29-2011, 02:27 PM

Well Pete, I'm not convinced you were actually wrong about the number of LEDs used. I've read info about past gen LED array TVs and NONE have ever had as many as 1152 actual bulbs, nowhere even NEAR that many.

If anything the trend in lower end sets has been to downsize the number of bulbs, even to the extent of calling edge placed Zone Dimming Local Dimming. So I really doubt in their full array ones they're using more bulbs than past gens of other brands.

After reading about and seeing a pic of LG's diffuser film used in these sets, I'm sure they're just implying it has the effect of dissipating the 96 bulbs into 1152 spots of light as far as light balance goes. The important thing to note however, is that the dimming is still limited to how many actual bulbs there are. Think about it, does it even make sense there would be only 96 dimming zones, but 12 times as many bulbs? What's the point of having 12 bulbs in one dimming zone?

As for their OLED sets, they only show a 15", and only on the UK site, and it's around 1100 pounds, or about $1700 USD. Hardly what I'd call acceptable pricing, esp when the blue color spectrum of OLED tech is crippled by a short life span.

According to research pre-production of Sony's 11" OLED, the blue color spectrum of OLED has only a 10,000 Hr lifespan. Sony claimed 30,000 Hrs when they debuted that set, but when they launched it Sharp refuted that claim. Even if you believe Sony's claim, 30,000 Hrs is only half that of the average LCD.

I'm more interested in seeing if Cavendish Labs, originally a group of Camdridge students that discovered PLED, can come up with a PLED TV. The only manufacturer I've seen backing PLED is Philips though, however it's been a while since I checked to see if more had become interested. PLED is basically based on a polymer vs organic material (thus the P vs O), so it resists damage from humidity that OLED is vulnerable to.

When PLED was first discovered, the diodes lasted nearly 100,000 hrs, easily as durable as a CRT.
post #78 of 181 Old 12-29-2011, 09:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Again, I could be mistaken, but I think I read somewhere LG will be using only white OLED's and just putting RGB filters on top, possibly to avoid that blue's shorter life span ?
Prices will be crazy at the beginning, but again I think I read somewhere, somebody claimed in mass production, OLED's could be actually less expensive to make than LCD's, so who knows, in few yrs they could be at LCD levels.
On the other hand when I was buying my previous HDTV about 5yrs ago, I kept on reading then that OLED's were just around the corner. Here we are 5yrs later and they're still just around the corner, so I'm not holding my breath. As a matter of fact I remember short life span of OLEDS was one of the concerns then, seem they haven't found solution yet? Maybe color filters on top of white could be a solution.
post #79 of 181 Old 12-29-2011, 10:32 PM

I see no reason PLED can't be a viable alternative to OLED altogether. It appears to be nothing more than OLED being owned by a big corporation (Kodak), vs a comparatively small electronics lab such as PLED.

Yeah, I have read a fair bit about this and either tech can literally be inkjetted onto the substrate, which can even be super thin and curved. I hadn't heard of the white diodes with color filters thing, but again, it sounds like a rather ridiculous and redundant extra step just to keep the small guys with the better tech from succeeding in the market. Unfortunately there's as much hype and BS in the electronics industry as there is actual technology.
post #80 of 181 Old 01-03-2012, 08:45 PM
tuc

howdy,

I purchased an LG 47LW5300 3D LCD TV + 3D Blu-ray player bundle yesterday. It was a floor model but I believe all parts were included, except the box. The purpose of this post is to provide some information (that may be useful to new 55LW5300, 47LW5300, and 42LW5300 owners) and also to ask some questions.

1) cabling.
It seems odd to me that a composite cable is included with this bundle but an HDMI cable is not. I'm sure some people will connect the blu-ray player to the TV with this cable, which is a mistake. Yes it's possible to view discs that way, but not in HD and not in 3D, so why bother? To include a cheap HDMI cable would only have cost LG a buck or two.

The blu-ray player is model BD645, which is sold only in this bundle. It lacks component outputs, and also lacks local storage for BD-Live (but has a front-mounted USB port so you can add your own).

My setup puts an HDMI v.1.4 capable (3D-aware) receiver in the middle, like this:
  • LG_BD645 --[HDMI]--> Pioneer_VSX1020 --[HDMI]--> LG_47LW5300

2) 3D content.
The bundle does not include a 3D demo disc, which seems odd. The only 3D content I have is a nice Ultimate Wave Tahiti 3D disc I got for xmas.

I guess I could also pay an extra $10/month for ESPN 3D, but I don't know if I want to do that.

3) blu-ray player settings.
When I played the Ultimate Wave Tahiti 3D disc I could see a 3D picture, but the audio was boring stereo, so I went into the blu-ray player's Audio settings and set it to
  • HDMI: Primary Pass-Thru (had been PCM Stereo)
  • Sampling Freq: 192KHz (had been 48KHz)
  • DRC (Dynamic Range Control): I left this on Auto but perhaps should have turned it Off.
Don't make these changes to your setup unless you're using a capable audio receiver.

While I was there I also changed the Display settings to:
  • 1080p Display Mode : 24Hz (had been 60Hz)
because I think that this will be good for 24Hz content (film) and not hurt 30/60Hz content (video). At least I hope it doesn't hurt 30/60Hz content—I'm not sure. I also changed Wallpaper to Wallpaper4 here because I slightly prefer it.

I also looked for a way to turn off CEC control over HDMI (which I believe LG calls "SimpLink") because it seems that it may be causing me some trouble. However I haven't discovered any way to do this in the player.

4) firmware upgrades.
I upgraded the blu-ray player from firmware BD6.009.00.00.C to BD6.030.00.C. I'm not sure what difference it made.

I upgraded the television from firmware 03.02.11 to 05.00.01. The only difference I notice is that the clock shown upon boot shows as 12-hour am/pm, where it had been in 24-hour military format.

Another difference that is supposed to come with firmware 05.00.01 is better 3D resolution (if I understand this page correctly) so long as I also turn off TruMotion. I did turn off TruMotion after performing the firmware update, but I can't tell if the 3D is better or not. (I didn't give 3D a critical look before performing the update.) Allow me to ask this, though:

TruMotion is LG's name for frame interpolation, right? Is there any reason I shouldn't turn off TruMotion, in all the profiles, even for 2D viewing? Why I would want LG to be interpolating frames in the first place? I guess I don't get it.

5) TV settings.
I usually rely on others' expertise for this. (I.e. someone writes "Turn Backlight to A, Contrast to B, Brightness to C, Sharpness to D, Color to E, Tint to F, ColorTemp to G, and AdvancedSettings to H" and I simply follow his/her advice.) I haven't found any such advice yet, though, but I will keep looking.

I do have advice for others, though, and that is to turn Energy Saving to Off. I think Energy Saving is supposed to dynamically adjust the brightness based on ambient light level, which isn't a bad idea on the face of it, but for me it seemed to be adjusting the brightness semi-randomly. I'm happier now that I have turned it off.

Question: I read somewhere that THX viewing mode(s) can be enabled somehow, perhaps with a Logitech Harmony remote. Is this true? If so, this may be an alternative to finding the kind of advice I mentioned in the previous paragraph. (I happen to own the Harmony 610 model, though I haven't used it much and it's currently programmed for my old TV.)

I was able to turn off CEC control over HDMI on the TV by pressing the "SimpLink" button on the remote control, scrolling to the top of the popup dialog, and choosing Off. Before I did this I would get frequent "No Signal" warnings from the TV, presumably because the TV asked the Receiver to switch to a different input. I still see the occasional "No Signal" error, but it is much less frequent with SimpLink turned off. (Btw, the LG-in-rotating cube logo that accompanies "No Signal" is darn cute, but it's still annoying when it happens.)

This TV has a "Picture Wizard" feature which guides one through setting video settings. I don't really understand how it works. Evidently it holds part of the screen constant (for visual comparison) while changing settings for the rest of the screen. Fancy. I haven't played with this yet. What do others out there think of LG's Picture Wizard?

Finally, I notice that when I turn on my TV with no video input, that the corners are significantly less black than the center of the screen is. It's not as pronounced on my set as it is on the pictures (pic1, pic2) that Shasha of Renton, WA, took of his 47LW5300, but I'm worried. Should I be? Might this be a warranty service issue?

6) Annoyances.
Whenever I switch to a 3D video source the TV pops up a series of dialog boxes:
Quote:

Put on 3D glasses. Sit 2 meters from TV to enjoy the best 3D view.

Press ENTER on the remote.
Quote:

Take a break for 10 min to 15 min every hour. Stop watching moving images, if you have any symptoms of headache, dizziness or any uncomfortable feelings. Guardians are encouraged to...

Press ENTER on the remote, again.

This is annoying, especially when switching between 2D and 3D segments of the same disk. Is there any good way to bypass these?

Another annoyance is that, while text can be assigned to the various inputs (such as HDMI1), the list is limited: VCR, DVD, Set Top Box, Satellite, Cable Box, Game, PC, HD-DVD, Blu-ray, or blank. Why isn't the tag "Receiver" in this list?? That's what I want to choose but it's not there.

7) Lag.
Evidently the input lag for the LW5300 series can be as high as 115ms or 120ms. That's pretty darn high, and I would be concerned if I was a gamer, but I'm not a gamer. Maybe someday I'll purchase a 3D-capable console (perhaps a Wii U) and some 3D games, and then I suppose I may be sorry.

Gaming aside, though, might a latency of 115ms cause problems even for viewing of simple 2D and 3D content? Is this something I should be trying to adjust for in my Pioneer VSX-1020 receiver?
post #81 of 181 Old 01-03-2012, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

1. The only cable I got was composite, I believe you miss wrote that one.
2. seems to me this is budget set, so no free discs. I was thinking of selling the player and buy Panasonic which comes with free Avatar 3D, but maybe I'm too busy/lazy to deal with the headache. You could try 2D to 3D conversion, I was surprised how well it works but it's not perfect.
5. Of course it works, just follow instructions on Wiki (but you can only program one pronto code on harmony), just be aware the set probably wasn't calibrated at factory for THX, so may need some other adjustments. Some used settings from LW5600, which is on the market longer, seem both sets are very similar and have same menu etc except smart TV.
If watching blank screen with no input is your thing, then maybe you should worry, if not check dark movie scenes, with LED dimming it should be much better, but if it still bothers you, then consider your options.
Picture wizard should help you calibrate the set, if you're going to copy settings from others, why bother?
6. PC and Game labels are significant, because they set TV for lower input lag (about 60ms), everything else is cosmetic. Maybe LG does not see receiver as typical video source, but just pass through device? Personally I don't care they don't have label for my DVHS and don't have receiver either.
7. see above. If you see lip sync issues, then you may need to adjust delay on the sound system.
post #82 of 181 Old 01-04-2012, 01:42 PM

Hi All,

In Canada here, I bought the LG 55LW5000 TV. Do you guys know if this is the same as the 5300 minus the bundled blu ray player?
post #83 of 181 Old 01-04-2012, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

I believe so.
post #84 of 181 Old 01-04-2012, 02:26 PM
tuc

Quote:

If watching blank screen with no input is your thing, then maybe you should worry, if not check dark movie scenes, with LED dimming it should be much better, but if it still bothers you, then consider your options.

I don't plan to watch many blank screens, obviously, but I was trying to ask if the bleeding I see in the corners indicates a possible failure or not. (LG seems to think Shasha of Renton WA deserves service on his 47LW5300.)

Your response suggests that this should not be considered a failure, in which case I'm glad I asked and I'm glad you responded.

I do notice when looking at the "wallpaper" only (while it "thinks" after I dismiss a dialog box) that there are bright mottles all over the center of the screen, extending to within 2-3 inches of all four sides. While it doesn't look very good, it's about the opposite of the corner-bleed-look I described earlier. That's weird, but I guess means that neither condition is persistent.

Quote:

Picture wizard should help you calibrate the set, if you're going to copy settings from others, why bother?

If I don't manage to find values to copy (or enable the THX modes) then maybe I'll try Picture Wizard.

The reason I mentioned it is because I'm puzzled how they implemented it. It shows four sample images (a too low sample, an about right sample, a too high sample, and the target image) and as the user adjusts the contrast/brightness/color/whatever, the target image changes accordingly but the three sample images stay the same. Cool. Perhaps that's old hat, but I've never seen that before. I'm not sure how they do it, but I'm impressed.

PS. I corrected #1 in my post.
post #85 of 181 Old 01-04-2012, 06:29 PM

Can someone PLEASE walk me through how to update my firmware on the LG 5300? I have tried to find out how but have had no luck. Thanks in Advance!!
post #86 of 181 Old 01-04-2012, 07:55 PM
tuc

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshorourke83 View Post

Can someone PLEASE walk me through how to update my firmware on the LG 5300? I have tried to find out how but have had no luck. Thanks in Advance!!

LG has a pdf document that explains how. Have you seen it? Download it via this link.
post #87 of 181 Old 01-04-2012, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

When there is no signal, backlight is full on and some light bleeding is visible. With signal coming in, backlight dimming should be active and with darker scenes set dims the LEDs so there should be very little bleeding visible. With bright scenes your eyes should not notice anything either. At least that's how it works on my set and that's why you should check for problems with live video. Some sets have more of this "flahlight" effect than others and only you can decide what's acceptable, especially that some people are more sensitive to this than others. I have no problem with mine.
I'm not sure what do you mean by " mottles" on the screen, I can't recall seeing anything like that on my set.
I played with wizard for couple of minutes and decided it's not for me, since I'm not sure what TV is doing. I used some settings from LW5600 thread and then adjusted little bit more for my liking. I activated THX menu already but didn't try it yet. I need to write all the settings down first, since I'm not sure how the settings are saved (if I change to THX or expert, can I go back to standard I have now with all settings intact?). I have to find my calibration discs and play more with settings then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuc View Post

I don't plan to watch many blank screens, obviously, but I was trying to ask if the bleeding I see in the corners indicates a possible failure or not. (LG seems to think Shasha of Renton WA deserves service on his 47LW5300.)

Your response suggests that this should not be considered a failure, in which case I'm glad I asked and I'm glad you responded.

I do notice when looking at the "wallpaper" only (while it "thinks" after I dismiss a dialog box) that there are bright mottles all over the center of the screen, extending to within 2-3 inches of all four sides. While it doesn't look very good, it's about the opposite of the corner-bleed-look I described earlier. That's weird, but I guess means that neither condition is persistent.

If I don't manage to find values to copy (or enable the THX modes) then maybe I'll try Picture Wizard.

The reason I mentioned it is because I'm puzzled how they implemented it. It shows four sample images (a too low sample, an about right sample, a too high sample, and the target image) and as the user adjusts the contrast/brightness/color/whatever, the target image changes accordingly but the three sample images stay the same. Cool. Perhaps that's old hat, but I've never seen that before. I'm not sure how they do it, but I'm impressed.

PS. I corrected #1 in my post.

post #88 of 181 Old 01-04-2012, 11:35 PM
tuc

Quote:

I'm not sure what do you mean by " mottles" on the screen, I can't recall seeing anything like that on my set.

Here's what I meant by "bright mottles." (This is what it really looks like. It's not a camera flash or chandelier glare.)

However I'm beginning to think that this may have nothing to do with bleeding or uneven brightness on the set. It may simply be that the "Wallpaper4" image in the BD645 player ROM has dark edges and uneven brightness in the center. It's not how I would have done it, but it's a possible explanation.

Quote:

I played with wizard for couple of minutes and decided it's not for me, since I'm not sure what TV is doing.

I've actually used it and it seems ok (though I'm hardly an expert and perhaps a poor judge). It stores my setting in the Expert1 slot. But Expert1 is not one of the modes that the bronze-circle button on the remote cycles through. I'm pondering copying my current Expert1 settings to the Standard setting, if that's even possible.

Something I just noticed in the manual: "If you use Picture Wizard, the Energy Saving feature will turn off automatically." Interesting. I had trouble finding that setting (mostly because I expected it to be called something like "auto-dimming," not "Energy Saving") but if I had started with Picture Wizard then I wouldn't have needed to find it.

Quote:

I used some settings from LW5600 thread and then adjusted little bit more for my liking. I activated THX menu already but didn't try it yet. I need to write all the settings down first, since I'm not sure how the settings are saved (if I change to THX or expert, can I go back to standard I have now with all settings intact?).

I believe the "Picture Reset" option, which is just above the TruMotion, will reset to stock settings for the selected mode. I would guess there's no way to revert your current (non-stock) settings if you change them.

A setting I have not been able to turn on is "Real Cinema" for good 24 fps handling. Under Expert Control there is an entry for Real Cinema, but it is set to OFF and there is no way to turn in on (as indicated by the grey color, not black, in which it is drawn). Hmm.

LG's spec page (choose the SPECIFICATIONS tab) for the 47LW5300 does say "24p Real Cinema (5:5/2:2 Pull Down) : Yes" so I'm not sure why the settings seems to be disabled. I suppose it could be an interaction with Picture Wizard or something like that.
LL
post #89 of 181 Old 01-05-2012, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm away from TV at the moment, but I think 24p is only available with 1080 input.
I looked at your pic, you mean the center is brighter or vertical stripes? Never seen that menu, could be the source, not sure.
Strangely enough your camera shows corners are darker than the rest, contrary to what you said about corners being brighter when there is no signal, I guess you're proving me right about checking TV with live signal, no? Unless you did use flash (am I misreading your "it's not flash" statement?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuc View Post

Here's what I meant by "bright mottles." (This is what it really looks like. It's not a camera flash or chandelier glare.)

However I'm beginning to think that this may have nothing to do with bleeding or uneven brightness on the set. It may simply be that the "Wallpaper4" image in the BD645 player ROM has dark edges and uneven brightness in the center. It's not how I would have done it, but it's a possible explanation.
Something I just noticed in the manual: "If you use Picture Wizard, the Energy Saving feature will turn off automatically." Interesting. I had trouble finding that setting (mostly because I expected it to be called something like "auto-dimming," not "Energy Saving") but if I had started with Picture Wizard then I wouldn't have needed to find it.
I believe the "Picture Reset" option, which is just above the TruMotion, will reset to stock settings for the selected mode. I would guess there's no way to revert your current (non-stock) settings if you change them.

A setting I have not been able to turn on is "Real Cinema" for good 24 fps handling. Under Expert Control there is an entry for Real Cinema, but it is set to OFF and there is no way to turn in on (as indicated by the grey color, not black, in which it is drawn). Hmm.

LG's spec page (choose the SPECIFICATIONS tab) for the 47LW5300 does say "24p Real Cinema (5:5/2:2 Pull Down) : Yes" so I'm not sure why the settings seems to be disabled. I suppose it could be an interaction with Picture Wizard or something like that.

post #90 of 181 Old 01-05-2012, 08:43 AM
tuc

Quote:

I looked at your pic, you mean the center is brighter or vertical stripes? Never seen that menu, could be the source, not sure.
Strangely enough your camera shows corners are darker than the rest, contrary to what you said about corners being brighter when there is no signal, I guess you're proving me right about checking TV with live signal, no?

Here's what I originally wrote (emphasis added): "there are bright mottles all over the center of the screen, extending to within 2-3 inches of all four sides. While it doesn't look very good, it's about the opposite of the corner-bleed-look I described earlier. That's weird, but I guess means that neither condition is persistent."

So yes, I continue to agree that it is contrary to the bright corners I see at other times.

[update: The vertical stripes are an intended part of the image. No problem there.]

I provided the pic not because I'm especially concerned about it, but because you asked what I meant by "bright mottles"--admittedly not the best choice of words.
You can alleviate any remaining concern by switching to Wallpaper4 on your BD645 blu-ray player and telling me if it looks the same. (Or I guess I could try connecting my BD645 to a different TV, which I could do but would take some effort.) The simplest explanation is that LG designed the BD645's Wallpaper4 image to have a bright center.
Reply 3D Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page