LG 47LW5300, 55LW5300, 42LW5300 passive 3D thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 181 Old 01-05-2012, 01:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I found the site about five minutes after I posted. Thanks for the reply. To the posters who say the firmware has a picture update in it, I'm not so sure. I talked to LG support and they said that the firmware update was for the clock only. I did update the firmware and I thought the 3D was much better but that was also after messing with the picture and turnning off the true motion, so who knows what made it better. Anyone have ANY good info on this? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 181 Old 01-05-2012, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKocher View Post

I've been playing around with the picture settings for weeks on my 47 5300 and I've finally just gave up and ordered this remote to enable THX.

The THX bright room setting is perfect. I've updated my firmare to 5.0 as well, since the original firmware was 3 something. I'm not sure what improvements were made, but this is one great tv.

The glasses are the exact same ones that they use at your local multiplex that show 3D movies. I've tested them out side by side.

Forgive me if I ask stupid questions - I'm new:

1. Why do you need additional remote to change settings on this TV?
2. Could someone please post an optimal preset for 55LW5300?
3. I cannot find info on how to check/ upgrade the 55LW5300 firmware, could someone post a link?

Thanks
post #93 of 181 Old 01-05-2012, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
So who wants to volunteer to scavenge posts (especially dedicated lw5600 thread in LCD forum, it has tons of info) and make comprehensive list of things, tricks etc for LW5300 to help new buyers?
Most stuff is the same across most LG models, except for specific extra features like smart TV on lw5600 which is not present on lw5300.
I'm kind of intrigued by possibility of adding DVR functions to this TV (freeze, pause, scheduled recordings etc), too bad only for OTA channels.
Anybody tried that, is that function even there? I got to look into it, now that I have one for all URC8820 remote (what a fantastic remote for $3.00 from Sears) all programmed and ready to go, just need to find some free time to play with it. Service code is 0413.
One thing I don't understand: in-service menu shows my TV as having chip Saturn7R. I was expecting to see some Broadcom chip listed, like 3520 and thought Saturn 7 was TV operating system running on top of Linux. There are no references to Saturn7r on google , anyone knows more about it?
post #94 of 181 Old 01-06-2012, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwnelson View Post

I just received my 42LW5300 last week. I have watched directv 3d channels with no problems. I also played MW3 on my Xbox with 2d-3d conversion, and while it wasn't full 3d it was very enjoyable. My problem came when I tried to watch Ice Age 3 in 3d. Anytime one of the characters runs or wiggles a tail they become unwatchable. I have trumotion off and local dimming off. I am using the supplied 3d player as my source. Anyone else having problems such as this?

Here is an update for my issues. I swapped the bundled 3d player with my new PS3 and problem solved. Not sure what crosstalk is but I think the player suffered from it.. Anyone else had this problem? Now the picture is quite good and I was able to watch Ice Age from start to finish with no eye strain, ghosting or flickering.
post #95 of 181 Old 01-07-2012, 05:36 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Just got my rca remote to turn on thx but its asking for password & 0000 doesnt work.
Open lg seems to be down, can anyone help me?
post #96 of 181 Old 01-07-2012, 06:01 PM
tuc

@CherokeeMan, read the post that is 2 above yours.
post #97 of 181 Old 01-07-2012, 06:33 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuc View Post

read the post that is 2 above yours

Thanks tuc, thought that was referring to a URC Remote code.
post #98 of 181 Old 01-07-2012, 11:53 PM
AVS Special Member

There is a lot of confusion about what "real cinema" and "true motion" do. Honestly I'm confused little bit myself, so I'll try to explain what I know and what I'm confused about. RC=real cinema, TM=true motion
1. RC - off, TM - off
TV displays signal as is, I'm not sure if it's at 60Hz or 120Hz, but I think it is 60Hz and 24FPS movies use 3:2 pull up
2. RC-on, TM-off
24 FPS source is displayed at 48Hz with 2:2 pull up. This is pretty much how you watch movies at the theater.
I'm not sure if 24 FPS recorded movie and transmitted to tv at 60Hz let's say from cable, is converted back to original 24FPS and then displayed at 48Hz, I don't think it is. And I'm still not sure what happens to 60FPS video source, I think it's displayed at 120Hz?
3. RC-on, TM on
24FPS movies are displayed at 120Hz with 5:5 pullup, with interpolation (de-judder, de-blur), still not sure what happens with 24fps movies broadcasted at 60Hz.
4. RC-off, TM-on
Again, not sure if TV uses 60Hz or 120Hz. 24FPS source will be pulled up 3:2 and interpolated if 60Hz used.

So my still unanswered questions are: Does TV use 60Hz for display at all or just 48Hz and 120Hz?
May not be that important, if it uses 120Hz at all times, it probably just blinks each 60 Hz frame twice, except for 5:5 pull up with 24FPS source.
Another thing I wonder is what happens to 24FPS movie broadcasted to TV at 60Hz with 3:2 pullup already.
Is this ever reversed and reassembled into original 24FPS or not?
If it's not, then it would be critical to get DVD/Blue Ray capable of outputting 24FPS and set it to do so. Otherwise the capabilities of Tv to display 48Hz and 120Hz are totally wasted and some judder form 24 FPS recordings always present.
post #99 of 181 Old 01-08-2012, 09:12 AM

Hello everyone, new to the forums!!

I bought a 47lw5300 from newegg and it arrived last Tuesday. Overall I am very happy with this set. Until this morning. I turned my set on and about after 10 minutes I hear a low pitch humming coming from the back of the TV. I tried everything to get rid of the humming but its still there. Its not really loud, but it is loud enough to noticed while watching this set and I cannot live with it. I just have the TV plugged in right now alone and it still is humming at the no input screen. Like I said, this just started happening after 6 days of the set being silent.

I really don't know what to do. I am just disappointed right now. I also had a issue with the included blue ray player ghosting badly in dark sences from the move Fright Night. I then tried my parents Samsung blue ray player and it had zero ghosting with the same disk, same scence. I also tried every setting in the lg blue ray player but nothing fixed it. I was willing to just get a new blue ray player but now with the set humming I don't know what to do. I have a gaming PC in the same room and I can hear the humming over the cooling fans from the PC. Its just really annoying.

You guys have any advice. Remember I ordered this set from newegg so I'm not sure if I can just ship it back and exchange it.

Thanks a lot.
post #100 of 181 Old 01-08-2012, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerScott View Post

Hello everyone, new to the forums!!

I bought a 47lw5300 from newegg and it arrived last Tuesday. Overall I am very happy with this set. Until this morning. I turned my set on and about after 10 minutes I hear a low pitch humming coming from the back of the TV. I tried everything to get rid of the humming but its still there. Its not really loud, but it is loud enough to noticed while watching this set and I cannot live with it. I just have the TV plugged in right now alone and it still is humming at the no input screen. Like I said, this just started happening after 6 days of the set being silent.

This sounds a lot like a power supply issue, and I'd suggest getting the set repaired/replaced ASAP. If it is the power supply, I imagine it's a fairly straightforward repair, but if you've lost confidence, I'd say call Newegg and see if they will swap it.
post #101 of 181 Old 01-09-2012, 08:57 PM

I bought the Lg 47 5300 a
Couple of days after Xmass and I love it 3D looks great and tv to, but one is for gamming witch I have an Xbox 360 and I get Ghosting only when I aim in shooter games. Maybe and sometimes when I don't aim I kinda fixed the lag I been having with my gamming not sure tho it's somewhat hard to tell I can't stand the Ghosting at all I hate it some one help me on this cuz I have till like jan 20 something till my 30 days return thing is up.
post #102 of 181 Old 01-09-2012, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Check for overscan, make sure your TV is set to "just scan", are you running 1080p?
post #103 of 181 Old 01-10-2012, 05:02 AM

Okay I'll do that when I get home later from work and yes I'm running 1080p I have an HDMI hooked up. At work when I hooked everything up it was the lag that got me I still have some lag, but now it's ghosting, when ever I watch tv or 3D tv I don't get ghosting or crosstalk thank god!
post #104 of 181 Old 01-10-2012, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole11211 View Post

Okay I'll do that when I get home later from work and yes I'm running 1080p I have an HDMI hooked up. At work when I hooked everything up it was the lag that got me I still have some lag, but now it's ghosting, when ever I watch tv or 3D tv I don't get ghosting or crosstalk thank god!

Label your HDMI input as "PC" and lag will be gone. I've done it for my PS3 and xbox. Turns most post processing off and lag is gone.
post #105 of 181 Old 01-11-2012, 06:06 AM

I did that and it worked, but like the dashboard and everything looks weird, but not the game though and I don't get lag. I turned off on the HDMI part from pc
To nothing and did the ration thing and just left it on Just Scan and it got rid of my ghosting and lag thats one way of fixing it.
post #106 of 181 Old 01-11-2012, 04:20 PM

Anyone have any issues with the HDMI inputs? For instance, my PS3 either won't connect, or the screen flickers when I connect it to the two rear HDMI inputs. When I connect it to the side HDMI (HDMI 3), it works fine. I also have a Wireless HDMI device (connected to my PC) that flickers when connected to HDMI 1 or 2, but works fine on HDMI 3.

My DirecTV HD DVR works perfectly fine on HDMI 1 or 2.

Very strange and frustrating...

edit...This has happened with multiple HDMI 1.4 cables.
post #107 of 181 Old 01-11-2012, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Didn't encounter any issues yet. I had HDMI connector fail after about 2 yrs on my older TV and to be honest those HDMI connectors are junk. They're very flimsy, the cables are heavy with ferrite coils and the moment I saw it I knew it will fail sooner or later. that older TV had DVI connectors with screws to support the cable, not the connector itself, very solid and still work fine after 5 yrs. I did attach rubber bands to cables and attached them to back of my new TV to release stress the cable puts on the connector. Kind of temporary fix, until I come up with something. Hopefully it's not soldering of the connector getting separated, That's how my old connector failed, some soldering cracked, at the beginning if I wiggled the connector it would catch and make connection, but it would get worse and later it would not work at all. I even opened the TV but I couldn't get there to solder it back, not enough room, just gave up and used remaining DVI ports. I would try to check and make sure it's not poor soldering or crack already, if it is it can only get worse.
post #108 of 181 Old 01-12-2012, 12:24 PM

I know we can enable THX in the service menu; but, what about DVR? (usb recording) I know with the 5600 and 5700 series you can enable DVR too.
post #109 of 181 Old 01-12-2012, 06:02 PM

craze TV app
Does anyone have any luck in using this app? It comes up for me be there is no menu to view the thousands of movies they say they have.
post #110 of 181 Old 01-16-2012, 08:14 AM

I'm having all kinds of problems with the HDMI inputs on this TV. I might try an in-line amplifier, and if that doesn't work time to call LG>
post #111 of 181 Old 01-16-2012, 08:44 PM

Hi I am new to the forums, actually read here for awhile but just registered. I ordered the 55 inch version with the Blu ray player and glasses etc. It is shipping soon. I have researched a lot and decided on this one. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a home theater system that would work well with this? Since I already will have a Blu ray player, would I need a Home Theater with a player or do they have some without a player and just a receiver and speakers? Not sure as I never had one. Also was wondering if I could get the Logitech X-530 speakers to work with this set, I am not sure how they would work to get 5.1 surround sound since they are older and do not have digital connections and I think you need 3.5mm jacks for a TV or DVD hook up?

But basically I am looking to make a home theater with 5.1 surround sound using the bundled set, or getting a new Blu ray player/Home Theater if necessary and was wondering what everyone else was using? I want this for primarily watching DVDS/Blu ray/3D, and for cable TV. Would I be able to get 5.1 surround sound with my speakers or should I get a new set or Home Theater with them? How is the LG set? LG LHB326, 1100W Wi-Fi Ready Blu-ray Home Theater System. Also what HDMI cable do I need a 1.4? I picked up a $19 one at Walmart that does not say much about it on the box. HDMI cable 3 feet 33580 supports 5.1 and 7.1 surround sound. Do you need a special one for 3D?

But I seen these on Amazon and may be better? BlueRigger-High-Speed-Cable-Ethernet/dp/B00316263Y I will not be using the internet for this as of now as I use another 32 inch LCD. Also was wondering if a 3D Blu ray player plays 3D movies on a non 3D TV? Or is the TV not 3D and has nothing to do with it? I also read that some Home Theater systems do not sync well with other brand name TV's? Thanks.
post #112 of 181 Old 01-17-2012, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 38
You don't need a special one, check out monoprice.com. Good prices and good cables. Nowhere near $19.
post #113 of 181 Old 01-17-2012, 06:07 PM

Also was wondering if I got the LG Home Theater with Blu-ray player, which is not 3D, could I connect the 3D Blu-ray through the regular player and get good sound through the Home Theater and no lag? What connection would I use? I think the 3D Blu-ray player that comes bundled has limited connections but was wondering if I could use a Toslink cable or what is the best one for audio? Unless I can use the LG HT and sound with the 3D Blu-ray player which would be fine.
post #114 of 181 Old 01-17-2012, 11:00 PM

Or would I just hook up a Toslink audio cable from the Home Theater to the 3-D Blu-ray player, then a 3D compatible HDMI cable to the TV? Would cable TV also be 5.1 surround with that since the sound source is the Home theater, and cable is already hooked up to the TV? Or does the TV also have to have an audio cable ran to the cable box also? Either way would be fine but I want 5.1 surround at least for all DVDS. Do I also have to mute or turn the volume down on the TV itself? Like I said I never had any of these items before but I think I am getting closer to figuring it all out. But if anyone can provide any insight that would be great. But I am sure once get all the stuff and mess with the plugs I will figure it out.
post #115 of 181 Old 01-18-2012, 12:29 AM
tuc

@sirbrad, it seems to me there are three ways to connect things:
  1. Blu-ray --[HDMI]--> receiver --[HDMI]--> TV
  2. Blu-ray --[HDMI]--> TV --[toslink]--> receiver
  3. TV <--[HDMI]-- Blu-ray --[toslink]--> receiver
For me, option A made the most sense [see post#80 in this thread] but for that you will want to make sure the receiver is HDMI v.1.4 capable (3D-aware).

Since you say it "is not 3D" your proposed audio equipment may not support HDMI v1.4. In that case you would want to use option B or C if you plan to watch any 3D content.

HDMI cables can convey many audio formats (in addition to the video) while toslink cables can convey a reduced set of audio formats (and no video).
post #116 of 181 Old 01-18-2012, 12:10 PM

Quote:

For me, option A made the most sense [see post#80 in this thread] but for that you will want to make sure the receiver is HDMI v.1.4 capable (3D-aware).

Since you say it "is not 3D" your proposed audio equipment may not support HDMI v1.4. In that case you would want to use option B or C if you plan to watch any 3D content.

HDMI cables can convey many audio formats (in addition to the video) while toslink cables can convey a reduced set of audio formats (and no video).

Thanks, so just two HDMI cables would do it and still provide 5.1 surround sound? Yeah the home theater player is not a 3D one I don't think http://www.walmart.com/ip/LG-LHB326-...roduct+Reviews and I was looking for an all in one with 3D but could not find any in my price range locally. I prefer to get things locally in case I have to take it back to save time shipping stuff back and waiting. So I basically want both of them connected so I can watch either. I could even unplug the 3D one if I hsd to and only use it for 3D movies. So what would be the best option for that, or say I just wanted to hook up one at time? I will check your post out.

Are these the right cables?

http://www.amazon.com/BlueRigger-Hig...6917710&sr=1-5

http://www.amazon.com/Mediabridge-To...6917835&sr=1-3
post #117 of 181 Old 01-18-2012, 09:35 PM

Quote:

The LG Home Theater is not a 3D one but I still will be using the 3D one that comes with the TV for 3D viewing So what would the best set up for all? Mostly I would be viewing regular Blu-rays/DVDS with the HT player, but want the option to watch 3D movies via the bundled player hooked up as well. But if I had to I could just hook and unhook it as needed. Could I still hook up 3D HDMI cables to the non 3D player? http://www.amazon.com/BlueRigger-Hig...=22BK1DX5PC79Y Would this work, or two of these to connect everything? Would I get surround sound through cable TV as well?
post #118 of 181 Old 01-20-2012, 09:49 PM

I guess for the Home Theater the best option would be 2 HDMI cables, one from Blu-ray to TV and one from TV to HT? But was wondering if I used one for the 3D Blu-ray to TV, and then a Toslink from Blu-ray to HT would that be fine? Would it affect the 3D and surround sound with the 3D player? I think the bundled player only has one HDMI and one Toslink? Too bad it did not have two HDMI connections but the HT does. But I am still trying to figure out the best way to hook up both. Or could I run the 3D Blu-ray player through the HT and still get 3D and surround sound?

Specs:
• 3D Blu-ray Disc™ Playback
• Blu-ray Disc™ 1080p Playback
• 1 USB port
• 1 HDMI port
• 1 Digital Optical Audio port
• 1 Ethernet LAN portDLNA Certified®
• 1080p Up-scaling
• Express Reaction Startup
• Dolby® TrueHD Digital Plus
• DTS-HD Master Audio
• USB 2.0 Playback
• SIMPLINK™ Connectivity
post #119 of 181 Old 01-20-2012, 11:41 PM
tuc

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbrad View Post

I guess for the Home Theater the best option would be 2 HDMI cables, one from Blu-ray to TV and one from TV to HT?

The TV has three HDMI ports but I believe they are all "in," not "out," so I don't think that will work. (HDMI 1.4 can support an Audio Return Channel [ARC] but I've seen no indications that any LG TVs support it.)

Is there a reason you have selected this particular pre-HDMI-1.4 audio system? If you picked one that supports HDMI 1.4 then things would be pretty simple.
post #120 of 181 Old 01-21-2012, 07:07 AM

Sirbrad get something like this
http://www.frys.com/product/6212330?...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG
run your 3d blu ray thru it to your TV and your fixed up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbrad View Post

I guess for the Home Theater the best option would be 2 HDMI cables, one from Blu-ray to TV and one from TV to HT? But was wondering if I used one for the 3D Blu-ray to TV, and then a Toslink from Blu-ray to HT would that be fine? Would it affect the 3D and surround sound with the 3D player? I think the bundled player only has one HDMI and one Toslink? Too bad it did not have two HDMI connections but the HT does. But I am still trying to figure out the best way to hook up both. Or could I run the 3D Blu-ray player through the HT and still get 3D and surround sound?

Specs:
3D Blu-ray Disc Playback
Blu-ray Disc 1080p Playback
1 USB port
1 HDMI port
1 Digital Optical Audio port
1 Ethernet LAN portDLNA Certified®
1080p Up-scaling
Express Reaction Startup
Dolby® TrueHD Digital Plus
DTS-HD Master Audio
USB 2.0 Playback