LG 47LW5300, 55LW5300, 42LW5300 passive 3D thread - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 181 Old 02-22-2012, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I just bought the 42 inch model. Is there a way to tweak the colors etc for 3D mode? Every PQ function on the remote is disabled except for the AV/MODE button, which only has a few presets.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A movie with good 3D does not necessarily equal a good 3D movie!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 181 Old 02-23-2012, 06:56 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just saw the 42 inch version of the LW5300 @ walmart today and it was selling for $749 + 4 glasses and blu ray. This is nuts. Even black friday didn't have 3D TVs for this cheap. Something is seriously wrong here. I bought my Panny for over 3.5k and ("only" 2 1/2 years ago) and the picture was pretty even with this one. lame.
post #153 of 181 Old 02-23-2012, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wp34gsh View Post

try changing the input name to game, or ive seen people say they change it to pc, and it eliminates most if not all lag.

i have my xbox hooked up to hdmi 3 and i changed input name to game, while i dont play fps games, i havent noticed any other lag issues

Don't change it to pc the it looks really gay, go to your ratio and have it set to just scan and the lag will go away.
post #154 of 181 Old 02-23-2012, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole11211 View Post

Don't change it to pc the it looks really gay, go to your ratio and have it set to just scan and the lag will go away.

Just testing right now, and PC is definitely much more responsive than Game.

Could you tell us what "gay" looks like? Does it look like oversharpened over-contrasty eyesore? That's easily fixable in the picture settings.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #155 of 181 Old 02-24-2012, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakefoo View Post

Just testing right now, and PC is definitely much more responsive than Game.

Could you tell us what "gay" looks like? Does it look like oversharpened over-contrasty eyesore? That's easily fixable in the picture settings.

Did you try the "just scan"? Did it help?

HD DVD - 10
BLU-RAY - 3
post #156 of 181 Old 02-24-2012, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

The latency is the same in Just Scan as it is in 16:9.

To access Just Scan, I had to label the input something other than PC. So I labeled it Game.

I can definitely say PC is much faster. I spent the first day on Game and felt the extreme lag in my mouse cursor on my Desktop, and in my PS3 controller while navigating the system menu with my dpad and I was totally sucking at fast paced games like Wipeout and Super Stardust. After switching to PC labels everything improved dramatically. Mouse cursor is snappy (though not quite as snappy as a dedicated PC monitor), PS3 menus are snappy, and I'm easily getting first place finishes and avoiding walls in Wipeout.

post #157 of 181 Old 02-24-2012, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakefoo View Post

The latency is the same in Just Scan as it is in 16:9.

To access Just Scan, I had to label the input something other than PC. So I labeled it Game.

I can definitely say PC is much faster. I spent the first day on Game and felt the extreme lag in my mouse cursor on my Desktop, and in my PS3 controller while navigating the system menu with my dpad and I was totally sucking at fast paced games like Wipeout and Super Stardust. After switching to PC labels everything improved dramatically. Mouse cursor is snappy (though not quite as snappy as a dedicated PC monitor), PS3 menus are snappy, and I'm easily getting first place finishes and avoiding walls in Wipeout.

That's good to hear. Did you try PC in HDMI3? Or 1 or 2?

HD DVD - 10
BLU-RAY - 3
post #158 of 181 Old 02-24-2012, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

HDMI 1 and 2. Could 3 be different?

post #159 of 181 Old 02-24-2012, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

I just tried HDMI 3 and it behaves the same as 1 and 2.

post #160 of 181 Old 02-25-2012, 12:17 AM

horrible lag here also with 42LW5500, PC mode, every effect turned off, but still fast games unplayable.
Video out of sync because i use the soundcard analog output, but fortunatly this can be resolved with kxdrivers delay effect

edit: ok, updated to the latest firmware, now games mode is playable (very little lag), but has big ghosting in native interleaved. Ghosting is almost zero only in isf1 mode, but there is the lag again.

How to set both? (little lag+zero ghost)

thanks
post #161 of 181 Old 02-25-2012, 06:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Where is a good place to order additional glasses, more specifically children's sizes?

Other areas of interest

ClubWrx.net Scotty144
post #162 of 181 Old 02-25-2012, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty144 View Post

Where is a good place to order additional glasses, more specifically children's sizes?

http://www.3d-eyewear.com/3d-glasses...FeUaQgodwTyoOw

Google it and there are lots of places. This is from Amazon's site, nice price.
post #163 of 181 Old 02-25-2012, 05:44 PM

Quote:

You can find Beauty and the Beast, Lion King, Happy Feet 2, and Cars 2 Real 3D glasses on Ebay.
post #164 of 181 Old 02-26-2012, 05:10 AM

LG TVs are always best. Now they come with netcast features, which are really great.

post #165 of 181 Old 02-29-2012, 09:35 AM

Has anyone who has upgraded the firmware from 03.02.11 to 05.00.01 noticed any difference in the 3d quality? I don't know if it is just me but some of the popouts that really came out the screen before don't seem as pronounced since I have updated to 05.00.01. Also, has someone who has gone from 5.00.01 been able to successfully roll back to 03.02.11? I am afraid to try the hidden rollback feature to see if it works with the 5300 series in fear of bricking my tv.
post #166 of 181 Old 03-04-2012, 05:57 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenhoek View Post

Has anyone who has upgraded the firmware from 03.02.11 to 05.00.01 noticed any difference in the 3d quality? I don't know if it is just me but some of the popouts that really came out the screen before don't seem as pronounced since I have updated to 05.00.01. Also, has someone who has gone from 5.00.01 been able to successfully roll back to 03.02.11? I am afraid to try the hidden rollback feature to see if it works with the 5300 series in fear of bricking my tv.

There is definitely a difference.
when you use the 2d to 3d conversion you get a 3d "motion" effect. I didnt try a blu ray because for some reason i felt that the 3d effect for 2d to 3d conversion was now less. I may be wrong though. And yes you can roll back.(which i did)
you go to tools and hit a button seven times dont remember which one though.

people say that the upgrade increases the quality when in 3d, but all i have seen from LG officially is that it changes the time from military to 12 hours.
Also the update software is a big file, just to change the the time???
post #167 of 181 Old 03-05-2012, 05:58 PM

On the LW5300 series, if you enable the THX Bright Room and THX Cinema modes via the service menu and select them, does the TV overwrite the default settings for any of the other modes that came factory preset or do they all stay untouched?
post #168 of 181 Old 03-05-2012, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosugadget View Post

I just saw the 42 inch version of the LW5300 @ walmart today and it was selling for $749 + 4 glasses and blu ray. This is nuts. Even black friday didn't have 3D TVs for this cheap. Something is seriously wrong here. I bought my Panny for over 3.5k and ("only" 2 1/2 years ago) and the picture was pretty even with this one. lame.

Wow that is crazy low if I needed another TV i would go pick one up right now. That is probably the best I have seen for a decent 3D TV.
post #169 of 181 Old 03-09-2012, 07:39 PM

TO REVERT BACK TO ORIGINAL TV FIRMWARE.......................

Hit Home, scroll down to Option (but don't select it), hit the 9 button on the remote 7 times. You will have your previous firmware back.

I just did this and was able to revert back to original firmware. Cant wait to test this on my ps3. I too noticed 3d effect wasnt popping out as much anymore and some games really looked bad. I never saw any positive changes with the new firmware.
post #170 of 181 Old 03-10-2012, 03:19 PM
Advanced Member

After a couple of weeks and upgrading the firmware I must say that I am pleasantly surprised with the 3d quality. When I originally saw these in store I found the 3d effect underwhelming and was bothered by the stair stepping jaggies I saw. One thing that i have noticed is that turning the sharpness way down really seems to improve the 3d picture for me.

Other areas of interest

ClubWrx.net Scotty144
post #171 of 181 Old 03-29-2012, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

edit - nevermind!

post #172 of 181 Old 03-31-2012, 01:05 PM

I have a 55lw5300 with a bd645 player. I was trying to use the calibration found at http://www.hometheater.com/content/l...-hdtv-settings which calls for Real Cinema to be turned on. I can not get this function to turn on when using my bd645 blu ray player. Can anyone tell me how to get the Real Cinema function to work with this lg blu ray player?
post #173 of 181 Old 04-08-2012, 02:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Just got a 42" LW5300 yesterday. Great set for the price [$798 at local WalMart].

Question/problem(?) I have is... are 3d effects supposed to be universal, or is each person's visual perceptions unique? Is there a 3D Viewpoint setting that's better than all the rest??

I ask because I ran Puss in Boots for a few minutes just to get my first taste of 3d Blu Ray action on the new TV. Both the Madagascar 3 trailer and the first few minutes of PiB were very nice looking in both 1080P and 3D-depth quality.

I then popped in Resident Evil:Afterlife to check it out for its first few minutes, and again both 1080P and the depth part of the 3d were very good. However - for both PiB and first few minutes of RE:A, I had the 3D Viewpoint setting at 7 - I'm not quite sure the pop-out or "in your face" 3d was coming through the way I thought it should. I set the 3D Viewpoint to 0 for the next (& last) couple of minutes of RE:A [stopped viewing just after crash into the mountain], and while I could tell the viewpoint was changed, it still didn't quite seem the best or the effect I wanted for that "wow!" factor.

Sorry if I'm asking a very dumb question, but I want to try for the best "full" 3d experience. While the 3D depth is very good and hard to fault - at least for what I seen for the first few minutes of both the movies listed above - I didn't feel the least bit awed by seeing throwing stars coming right at me or my face, as I thought would happen, for a pop-out example. In fact, I'd have to say I'm pretty sure that the stars didn't even make it "before the window", ie, off the screen.

HD-DVD + Blu-ray = An all-inclusive HD home movie viewing experience.
post #174 of 181 Old 04-08-2012, 04:28 AM
Advanced Member

The Wow effect you are looking for will change from movie to movie. Some have great 3d depth and others it is very subtle.

Changing the viewpoint will not increase or lower the overall 3d effect. What it is meant to do is to correct the 3D picture if your seating position is off center.

I have yet to hook up my bluray player to my set and have just been viewing HSBS MKV's...Some movies that have great 3D are

Hugo
Anything Imax
Sammy's Adventures
Disney's Christmas Carol
Saw
Tin-Tin

Enjoy your new tv!

Other areas of interest

ClubWrx.net Scotty144
post #175 of 181 Old 04-08-2012, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the informative reply, scotty144.

I read the thread about the RE:A 3D BR, and it seems the throwing stars isn't a "wow" moment to begin with, due to how it was shot or encoded.

I already own (but haven't [yet] watched) Hugo & Tin Tin and have Disney's Christmas Carol ordered and is arriving in a couple days.

(I should add I did see noticeable "before the screen" action, as it should be, last night on the Madagascar 3 trailer {a pillow blows up, feathers flying/floating everywhere} and it looked like feathers were floating between the TV and my seating position. Good 'pop' on that particular scene.)

HD-DVD + Blu-ray = An all-inclusive HD home movie viewing experience.
post #176 of 181 Old 04-17-2012, 10:46 AM

Does anyone expect to see any more firmware updates for the LW5300 series? From reading the other forums, it seems like the 5600 is getting updates relating to gaming delays but yet there is nothing for the 5300's. Both series are discontinued but seeing ongoing support for one but not the other. That sucks!
post #177 of 181 Old 04-24-2012, 12:40 PM

Hi All,

I've been reading all over the places and just joined the forum. I have owned lg47"lw5300 for quite a while now, and am still trying to come up with the best user tested 3d solutions and technique. In my opinion, for 2d to 3d conversion's quality is pretty darn good and quite acceptable for the price you paid, but for both of sbs effects; left/right and top/bottom are never come close to the corrective point of view, or at least not even close to the 2d-3d effect it renders(Always see ghosting, overlapping, blur, and it gets way much worse once you lie down and watch it, on the other hand; unwatchable at all as lie angle of view).

No matter what I tried. IE; upgrading to latest fw and eventually had to backward it(due to personal unsatisfactory), adjusting picture settings based on tested suggestions(both: simple mode and advance mode, everything that's available except THX remote mode) that were mentioned by the other threads herein and somewhere else. So far I've tried with so many 3d movies including most titles released in IMAX, I also tried watching them through the side usb port of tv, but still no luck at all. BTW, I've preferably been testing them sbs 3d contents copied from friend's hdd blueray ripped 1080p mkv files and some other sbs 1080p formats(both full and half versions) with media player(D-link Boxee Box)which always works flawlessly for non 3d mkv1080p, and all of the other hd or non hd movie formats and I always update the fw to the player once it's available.

Does any one else have this same trouble when you watch sbs 3d contents from the media players?
When I sit straight or stand right in the frontview of tv, the picture's quality seems to be almost perfect, but there're still slight and noticeable ghosting and overlapping occurence on all charactors and objects in the scenes. But I really love how depth and dimension are shown way way much better and more detail with the sbs view than 2d-3d though, the only things(but annoys me most) are the ghosting and overlapping picture in the scene.

I was thinking(this may sound stupid and digress), could that possibly be the reason I'm not able to watch sbs 3d's contents correctly just by not watching from the master blueray discs?(I don't have any sbs 3d br disc to try out with the br player that came with the bundle yet, and will try to get some to test out soon and will post the results here). Of course I did try adjusting around to both TV's and Boxee Box's 3d settings(just about anything that makes sense as far as existence of the settings there). Sorry for I've written way too much now. Lastly, could someone please lighten me up with some possible solutions to this, or if this is it for what we should get for the price we paid for? Then that would be understandable. I'd sincerely appreciate any suggestions/knowledge, and/or personal experiment basis, and most importantly your times devoting to this forum. Peace out and happy searching.
post #178 of 181 Old 05-20-2012, 12:45 PM

Liked: 11
@CURIOUS3D AND OTHERS

Ok i have made the greatest discovery of all time for this LG TV's.

How to delete ghosting and 3d problems(for files being played via the TV usb player and the smart usb player from the LG blue ray player)
I do not know about blue ray movies this is just for sbs files.

Ok there is a bug in the usb player and dvd player for these LG sets.
What is going on is that if you choose to watch your sbs movie files in 3d, you can no longer mess with the 3d depht, right?
Well that is where the problem comes. If you had tried the 2d<3d feature, whatever settings you had put in for depht, stay. For example if you had it at +10, it will stay that way but it will be "grayed out".

Ok. So I hope you know what im talking about.

Anyways, these sbs files already come with their factory depht values so they need to be displayed as they came from factory. So your depht value needs to be at 0, so that it does not interfere with the factory values of the sbs file.

Keep in mind that not all scenes in the movie need to have some type of 3d depht/effect(movie makers only implement them when needed for example pop op effects and for distance/depht matters).

So if you notice that your depht option is "greyed" out at anything other than 0, you need to go back to regular 2d, choose 2d<3d, drag depht effect back to 0, and then roll back to the 3d option for SBS files.(the one that shows the split screens)

Your depht value should be grayed out at 0 now.

About viewpoint. Viewpoint is kinda like the toggle that the Nintendo 3DS have. The more you have the more intense the 3d is. It kind off just pops the whole screen to the front more. It really has to do with your preference and the distance you are sitting away from the tv set. I keep mine at 3, or 4. And i am only sitting about 8 feet away from the screen.

The Left/Right deal is just to correct a file if for whatever reason the file got mirrored when released and now the screens are not affecting the correct eye.(remember one human eye is used for distance and the other is not)

Ok this method works for the lw5300 with no upgrades.
Hope this helps some of you as it did to me.

Also:
Quote:

The Wow effect you are looking for will change from movie to movie. Some have great 3d depth and others it is very subtle.

Changing the viewpoint will not increase or lower the overall 3d effect. What it is meant to do is to correct the 3D picture if your seating position is off center.

I have yet to hook up my bluray player to my set and have just been viewing HSBS MKV's...Some movies that have great 3D are

Hugo
Anything Imax
Sammy's Adventures
Disney's Christmas Carol
Saw
Tin-Tin

Enjoy your new tv!

Changing the viewpoint does affect the 3d and does not have to do with correcting the picture if you are seating off the center
These passive tv's are designed to be viewed from any angle with no problems just like in the theaters.

check this page out from the manual

CURIOUS3D likes this.
post #179 of 181 Old 06-22-2012, 11:00 AM

Hi mrmugenwii,

First of.....big thanks for a generous & very helpful reply. I did follow the exact instruction & found it helps improving picture's quality tremendously(at least, I can now watch sbs 3d movies while I'm preferably lying on my bed:D)) However, there's still slight noticeable mirror(overlapping) occurred to the background of the scene, but for the main object seems to be perfect!! for this price range which puts my mind at ease. Thus no more sbs files are being played through Boxee box at the moment.

I noticed, the 3d files are displayed clearer & sharper through blue ray's smart usb port than being played through TV's usb port. Also, I'm still to try out and see how picture's quality will show on sbs 3d blue ray master disc vs ripped sbs 3d movie files and will share result here once the test is done.

Thanks a ton!!smile.gif
post #180 of 181 Old 04-25-2013, 03:26 AM

I'm looking to get polar express 3d but I've been looking everywhere for the copy which doesn't have the awful blue and red glasses.
Do you know which copy I should get which we can watch on our LG 3D TV? I've heard people saying the Blu-Ray disc works with the active 3d glasses but we have passive glasses the same as you?
Thank you very much smile.gif
Reply 3D Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page