Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am getting myself a new tv and I have narrowed it down to these four choices:

1. Sharp LC-70LE735U
2. Panasonic TC-P65VT30
3. Samsung PN64D8000
4. LG 65lw6500

I am looking for the overal best 3d picture and performance. I watch a lot of HD TV (football) and really want to have a good picture. I also play so video games online with PS3 and Xbox 360. I currently have a Toshiba 62" DLP and it does an ok job but I am look to go a little bigger and really upgrade my picture quaility. I have been to a best buy Magnolia store and looked at all four of these tv's. I have to say by what I saw there the top two really stood out to me but that could have been because of the feeds being used. I have been researching all of these tv's for a couple of months trying to make up my mind on which one I want and I am stuck. My living room has windows so there will be light coming in during the day.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. If I put this in the wrong section I am sorry but I wasn't for sure where I need to post this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 12-29-2011, 06:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I'm in the same boat and replacing a 65 inch Mitsu DLP. Like you, I narrowed the choices at Magnolia to those four models. After weeks of studying and dropping by the store, I'm pretty much sold on the Panasonic. It's less expensive than the Sharp and I have become convinced it has a superior picture to the other listed contenders. Unless you have a room with a lot of sunlight and no ability to control with shades or curtains, I think the Panasonic would be the solid choice.

Good luck and let me know what you choose.

PS - I've decided to delay my purchase until Jan. 10 so I can hear Panasonic's CES press conference. If there's something unexpected that I can't live without, my Mitsu will last well into 2012.
post #3 of 35 Old 12-29-2011, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy2006 View Post

1. Sharp LC-70LE735U
2. Panasonic TC-P65VT30
3. Samsung PN64D8000
4. LG 65lw6500

I am looking for the overal best 3d picture and performance. I watch a lot of HD TV (football) and really want to have a good picture. I also play so video games online with PS3 and Xbox 360. I currently have a Toshiba 62" DLP and it does an ok job but I am look to go a little bigger and really upgrade my picture quaility. I have been to a best buy Magnolia store and looked at all four of these tv's. I have to say by what I saw there the top two really stood out to me but that could have been because of the feeds being used. I have been researching all of these tv's for a couple of months trying to make up my mind on which one I want and I am stuck. My living room has windows so there will be light coming in during the day.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. If I put this in the wrong section I am sorry but I wasn't for sure where I need to post this.

I'm a plasma guy so toss up between D8000 and VT30 both excellent sets.

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #4 of 35 Old 12-29-2011, 08:52 AM

one aspect of plasma which is not calculated into the price is energy cost

plasma is usually double the cost in energy. so $50 in energy for LED equates to $100 a year for plasma.

i don't think this doesn't take into account the additional energy one uses to cool the house

so after 7 years, you have an added $350 on to cost plus the additional cooling cost

you pay less upfront but when everything is done you may end up paying much more

of course if money is no object or you prefer cheaper upfront costs then this subject is moot

when i buy a car, i look at total ownership costs after bought and paid for when deciding.

weight is also a factor for me. a 35 pound 55 inch HDTV sounds pretty good compared to a 90 pound TV.

most important criteria for me is that it uses full array local dimming because those are the best LED LCD hdtv's.
post #5 of 35 Old 12-29-2011, 09:40 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 34
My 65VT30 is actualy Energy Star Compliant. Most newer plasma's use very little energy. My 65VT30 is cool to the touch, unlike older fat plasma's. Energy consumption is not an issue with newer plasma's.

X-Box Live name: OGgamer1974

If you want to be friends on through xbox network, just send me a request through X-Box Live and mention AVS in the request.

Cheers
post #6 of 35 Old 12-29-2011, 09:45 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:

1. Sharp LC-70LE735U
2. Panasonic TC-P65VT30
3. Samsung PN64D8000
4. LG 65lw6500

Get the 65VT30. Trust me. It handles 24p content correct. It has a 96hz refresh rate. 24 x 4 = 96. 3D-THX is absolutely stunning. This TV even correctly scales standard DVD movies. Watching a DVD on my 65VT30 is stunning. I almost cannot tell I am watching a standard DVD sometimes. It also looks sexy hanging on the wall.

X-Box Live name: OGgamer1974

If you want to be friends on through xbox network, just send me a request through X-Box Live and mention AVS in the request.

Cheers
post #7 of 35 Old 12-29-2011, 10:26 AM

>My 65VT30 is cool to the touch, unlike older fat plasma's.

i know they are more energy efficient and cooler than older plasma but the new ones still use at least twice the amount of energy of the led so they have hidden costs of 2X+.
post #8 of 35 Old 12-29-2011, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter

Well I have narrowed it down to the LC-70LE735U and TC-P65VT30. I really like both. I love the size of the sharp but the panasonic has more features. Really want the best 3D performance and not sure yet which one that is yet. Both looked really good but the panasonic was being fed by a USB so I am not sure how it performs with an actual blu-ray. They are really close in price right now although I have seen the the panasonic go on sale a few times. Just don't want to regret buying one or the other.
post #9 of 35 Old 01-02-2012, 11:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:

Well I have narrowed it down to the LC-70LE735U and TC-P65VT30. I really like both. I love the size of the sharp but the panasonic has more features. Really want the best 3D performance and not sure yet which one that is yet. Both looked really good but the panasonic was being fed by a USB so I am not sure how it performs with an actual blu-ray. They are really close in price right now although I have seen the the panasonic go on sale a few times. Just don't want to regret buying one or the other.

I'm surprised you're not considering DLP. DLP has the best 3D, with zero ghosting, and is cheaper for a larger screen.

http://www.amazon.com/Mitsubishi-WD-...577041&sr=1-12

http://www.amazon.com/gp/mpd/permali...ef=ent_fb_link

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

post #10 of 35 Old 01-03-2012, 12:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post

I'm surprised you're not considering DLP. DLP has the best 3D, with zero ghosting, and is cheaper for a larger screen.

http://www.amazon.com/Mitsubishi-WD-...577041&sr=1-12

http://www.amazon.com/gp/mpd/permali...ef=ent_fb_link

If only the DLP picture was brighter...

"With Liberty, HDTV and Justice for all."
Richard Adams
post #11 of 35 Old 01-03-2012, 12:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Adams View Post

If only the DLP picture was brighter...

Brighter than what? Typical calibrations require 30-40 ftL for a TV, and my DLP gets that at 34 (0-63 possible) on the contrast setting. It can go brighter, but it is totally unnecessary, and would skew the picture away from SMPTE standards. At 40 ftL, it almost burns ones eyes from their sockets on an all white screen while watching a movie. But if you want brighter, you could turn it up, I guess.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

post #12 of 35 Old 01-03-2012, 10:03 AM

Liked: 13
I agree with Augerhandle in trying to view/demo a DLP set. Not saying it would be the ticket but DLP is the only tech that is delivering perfect 3D no ghosting in tests that I have seen so far.

My experience is with last years Panasonic VT20 plasma which I still own and use. It delivers very good 3D but does ghost on ocassion. Also gives eye strain with longer viewing, 3 hours is about my limit. Not annoyed at 3 hours but will be soon after.
I have a DLP projector using DLP link and there is no crosstalk/ghosting. Able to play 3D games off the PS3 for longer then 3 hours and no issue of eye strain. Also makes a much larger screen so 3D is much more emersive.

With 3D larger is better and ghost free makes it enjoyable. Crosstalk/ghosting causes eye strain and annoyance. Small amounts is tolerable large amounts kill it.
post #13 of 35 Old 01-03-2012, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prioris View Post

>My 65VT30 is cool to the touch, unlike older fat plasma's.

i know they are more energy efficient and cooler than older plasma but the new ones still use at least twice the amount of energy of the led so they have hidden costs of 2X+.

Hidden costs? Isnt the cost of operation on the glaring yellow sticker on the front of the set?
post #14 of 35 Old 01-03-2012, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post

Brighter than what?

Not "brighter than what." I need one that is "at least as bright as."

The issue for me is to replace my 70" SXRD XBR2 Sony in the same room. So the need is to be as bright as my 6 year old Sony is for 2D without needing to drape the room.

I have the space and could justify an even larger set than the mits 92"

Can a mits 92" perform in 2D as bright as my 6 year old Sony, so that if I plunk the 92" down in that room to replace the Sony for 2D and some 3D, no one in the house is going to be mad at me because they don't like is as much?

Thanks for considering my question.

Richard Adams
post #15 of 35 Old 01-03-2012, 12:25 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Adams View Post

Not "brighter than what." I need one that is "at least as bright as."

The issue for me is to replace my 70" SXRD XBR2 Sony in the same room. So the need is to be as bright as my 6 year old Sony is for 2D without needing to drape the room.

I have the space and could justify an even larger set than the mits 92"

Can a mits 92" perform in 2D as bright as my 6 year old Sony, so that if I plunk the 92" down in that room to replace the Sony for 2D and some 3D, no one in the house is going to be mad at me because they don't like is as much?

Thanks for considering my question.

One would need to know the lumen output of your tv. Purely speculative based on wattage it looks like your SXRD XBR2 uses a 180watt bulb. And total tv wattage is 285watts if my quick search is correct. Source http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/sto...specifications

According to Mitsubishi http://www.mitsubishi-tv.com/tv/WD-92840/specifications It also uses a 180watt bulb. Has more screen realistate, So that in lamens terms one would think not as bright. BUT efficiency of using that light could have improved a lot. So who knows with out lumen output measurements from the TV's. Maybe try some searches for lumen and the tv models your looking at and what you have.
post #16 of 35 Old 01-03-2012, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by man4mopar View Post

One would need to know the lumen output of your tv. Purely speculative based on wattage it looks like your SXRD XBR2 uses a 180watt bulb. And total tv wattage is 285watts if my quick search is correct. Source http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/sto...specifications

According to Mitsubishi http://www.mitsubishi-tv.com/tv/WD-92840/specifications It also uses a 180watt bulb. Has more screen realistate, So that in lamens terms one would think not as bright. BUT efficiency of using that light could have improved a lot. So who knows with out lumen output measurements from the TV's. Maybe try some searches for lumen and the tv models your looking at and what you have.

It's a logical approach, but given the difference in the reflective mits screen surface, I'd probably have to get better drapes if I got the Mits 92", since room lighting doesn't reflect much off the screen of the Sony 70"

Richard Adams
post #17 of 35 Old 01-04-2012, 03:03 PM

Quote:

Well, im in the same boat as you. From everything i've read the 65VT30 has the "Best" picture of all TVs, but the 70LE735U has the size and a "Great" picture. Im pulling my hair out.
post #18 of 35 Old 01-04-2012, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Wouldn't go for Sharp, yes it's big and nice looking with a good picture. But the 3D is horrible, so much ghosting and the glasses are big.

Panasonic would be good but one thing to consider is the picture will be darker in 3D.

I myself just went 3D TV shopping again and looked around and did much research. I chose the LG 65lw6500, why? Because the picture looked great and the 3D was amazing. It uses polarized 3D so glasses are cheap and very light. 3D picture is bright and I can sit at any angle. I chose this over the Panasonic because of all that.

3D items I own:

Sony 46" LX900 active 3D set

Sony HMZ-T3 (Cushion pads and light blocker mod)

LG LW6500 passive 3D set

PS3 & PS4

Sony BDP-S570 BD3D player

JVC-GS-TD1 (with Cyclopital base extender)

Fujifilm W3

Sony Alpha 55 (for 3D panoramic photos)

Quadcopter + Zenmuse and GoPro Hero 3 (Filming...

post #19 of 35 Old 01-11-2012, 07:00 AM

Liked: 18
65VT30. The sharp or anything else for that matter, looks half as good.

Ignorance is a choice
post #20 of 35 Old 01-15-2012, 09:35 AM

Why not the Panasonic 65ST30 which is about $1000 less than the VT?
post #21 of 35 Old 01-15-2012, 01:23 PM

Liked: 12
Panasonic VT. Has less 3D problems than any other display. Dimness isn't an issue unless your room is very bright. The LG has decreased resolution in 3D. My opinion, sorry LG fans.
post #22 of 35 Old 01-15-2012, 08:52 PM

Go for the Panasonic.Whatever you do stay away from the Samsung .I just brought the 63 inch 8000 latest model and the 3D emitter doesn't emit didly..This is a humungous hassle for me to replace and I threw away the box as soon as it turned on,its just too big to keep and Its like an advertizement to burglars...Go for the panny.
post #23 of 35 Old 01-16-2012, 08:06 PM

Any thoughts on the Panny ST? Is it a decent value at under $2K vs $3K for the VT?
post #24 of 35 Old 01-19-2012, 07:05 AM

The ST uses an Infinite Black Panel 2, where the VT uses the Infinite Black Panel Pro 2. The black levels of the ST are .013 where the VT is .003. Deeper blacks mean better colors all the way around. Also the VT has THX certification, I of which am a fan of. A true 24P playback which the ST does not(its a 3:2 pulldown) and in 96Hz. The One Sheet of Glass design helps with glare and heat dissipation. Also if you want the set calibrated the VT has several advantages over the ST. So realistically the ST doesn't compare to the VT.

Ignorance is a choice
post #25 of 35 Old 01-19-2012, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBlow74 View Post

My 65VT30 is actualy Energy Star Compliant.

So is the gasoline powered alarm clock.
post #26 of 35 Old 01-20-2012, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by prioris View Post

one aspect of plasma which is not calculated into the price is energy cost

plasma is usually double the cost in energy. so $50 in energy for LED equates to $100 a year for plasma.

i don't think this doesn't take into account the additional energy one uses to cool the house

so after 7 years, you have an added $350 on to cost plus the additional cooling cost

you pay less upfront but when everything is done you may end up paying much more

of course if money is no object or you prefer cheaper upfront costs then this subject is moot

when i buy a car, i look at total ownership costs after bought and paid for when deciding.

weight is also a factor for me. a 35 pound 55 inch HDTV sounds pretty good compared to a 90 pound TV.

most important criteria for me is that it uses full array local dimming because those are the best LED LCD hdtv's.

Most people in this forum have a receiver, speakers, subwoofer, etc. Is power consumption really relative? How many people in this formum keep their TVs 7 years? Is't the ultimate goal of your TV supposed to be picture quality?

Lowell

Panasonic AE7000

120" Screen

Def Tech PM65s X 2, CS8080, SR8080BP X 4

PSA XS30 X 2

Denon XS4000

Outlaw Audio 7125

post #27 of 35 Old 01-21-2012, 06:33 AM

^+1

Ignorance is a choice
post #28 of 35 Old 01-24-2012, 04:33 PM

Just a quick update..The accessories under the TV purchase offered one set of 3d glasses.I trusted this was the correct set,SA3DGBT...but they did not work,so I asked for a return of TV for non working 3d emitter..In the meantime I didnt like the glasses because they were not rechargeable,so I ordered another set from another site,SSG-3500CR..Got them today and this time I got the message`GLASSES PAIRED WITH TV..The emitter turned on and they worked...So if retailers are confused which glasses work with which set,Samsung should bundle a pair of glasses with their TV,s..This would save enormous hassles of returned sets.
post #29 of 35 Old 01-25-2012, 01:25 PM

Now that your 8000 is emitting properly, do you recommend this model? I'm still torn between the 8000 and the Pan GT30.
post #30 of 35 Old 01-25-2012, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddxr4ti View Post

Now that your 8000 is emitting properly, do you recommend this model? I'm still torn between the 8000 and the Pan GT30.

I am also torn between these two models. My buddy has the GT30 pani and just raves about how great it is.
Reply 3D Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page