got a head watching avatar 3d at theater. will active glasses relieve that? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 01-03-2012, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Watched 3d Avatar in the theater with passive 3d glasses and got kinda sick. Will using active 3d glasses at home have a different effect? I'd prefer not to find out the hard way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-03-2012, 10:54 PM

lol @ thread title
post #3 of 9 Old 01-03-2012, 11:37 PM

Wow my tickets didn't even include pop-corn.

As far as head-aches, your best bet is to demo active glasses some where. It could even be movie specific?
post #4 of 9 Old 01-04-2012, 01:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjoejgde View Post

lol @ thread title

Lol - thanks for pointing that out. I didn't read it exactly that way the 1st time

Now about 3D Passive at theaters - most of the original passive theaters still have flicker that I can sense. They have one light source that switches polarization at some frequency.

Newer 3D passive that is called 4K at theaters has two light sources that you can turn around over your shoulder and see both sources, one for each eye. There is no flicker with these.

I've no idea if this is related to the discomfort @ the theater, though I thought I point out that there is a difference. Although I was aware of the flicker at the theater, it didn't bother me that much. I sure do prefer the newer 4K theaters though.

At home, 3D passive LCD sets have no flicker.

"With Liberty, HDTV and Justice for all."
Richard Adams
post #5 of 9 Old 01-04-2012, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Adams View Post

Newer 3D passive that is called 4K at theaters has two light sources that you can turn around over your shoulder and see both sources, one for each eye. There is no flicker with these.

Maybe that's why this theater was giving a head to the theater-goers - i.e., so they could watch the movie with one head while turning the other head around over their shoulder to see the two source projectors.
post #6 of 9 Old 01-04-2012, 07:31 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkside View Post

Watched 3d Avatar in the theater with passive 3d glasses and got kinda sick. Will using active 3d glasses at home have a different effect? I'd prefer not to find out the hard way.

Ghosting/Crosstalk that is mild is not too bad but if is constant will give a headache. Research the TV's you are looking at for crosstalk/ghosting issue's. There is no perfect tv out there for all watching needs, so need to know your needs and find the best one that suites those needs.
Recomend looking into DLP, Plasma and LCD not limiting the research to just one or two tech's.
post #7 of 9 Old 01-04-2012, 01:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
3D watching takes practice. I'd say you will get used to it and probably not suffer head aches over the long run of it.
post #8 of 9 Old 01-04-2012, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry about the typo.

I do get motion sickness on boats and in car rides when reading or looking down. Do you think it's related to me not being tolerable to the 3D effect? It must be the flickering that made me sick, but I'm not positive.
post #9 of 9 Old 01-04-2012, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkside View Post

Sorry about the typo.

I do get motion sickness on boats and in car rides when reading or looking down. Do you think it's related to me not being tolerable to the 3D effect? It must be the flickering that made me sick, but I'm not positive.

I also am very sensitive to motion sickness. When I watched the passive 3D at a single projector 3D theater, I sense and notice an unusual vibration in the image.

I get no headaches from my passive 23" LG 3DTV at home, and sense no "vibration." My experience with active 3D is limited to an Imax theater more than 10 years ago, and I do not remember any discomfort. I still haven't decided on a larger set.

-caution: spoiler-
When I watch "How To Train your Dragon" in 3D, the scenes where the Dragon ride reaches an apogee and then dives are pretty "exciting" and if there were a lot of them I might get motion sickness.

"With Liberty, HDTV and Justice for all."
Richard Adams
Reply 3D Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page