Sony PS 24" 3D Monitor for General Use? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-15-2012, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter
km

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I noticed that Best Buys has this monitor on sale for $299. I'm not a gamer and don't have or want a PlayStation.

I'm thinking of using it as a general purpose computer monitor on Linux which has the bonus of 3D. I would hope to use it to write 3D visualization programs as well as display the output of a 3D blueray player and the output of a 3D Cable box.

Would it work in this way as well as function as a normal 2D computer monitor?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-15-2012, 03:09 PM
Advanced Member

It's been on sale at that price on & off since before Christmas. I have this monitor and the PS3, however, I never used it for the PS3. It's a great PC monitor, however, unless you need a 3D display in the house, it's not the cheapest 24" monitor, however it benefits by having two HDMI 1.4 (frame-packed 3D compliant) inputs and one component video input and by including universal active shutter glasses that works with major name brand 3D LCD HDTVs. For me, it's operating in 2D most of the time with my laptop and accompanying USB HDTV tuner; I mostly view 3D material off of Sony's 3D Experience streaming channel on my BDP-S480 Blu-ray player and home videos from both the HDR-TD10 3D Handycam and 3D Bloggie. Even though my laptop's HDMI is 2D only, I can still view YouTube 3D material (if displayed side-by-side) by manually setting the Playstation 3D display to accept the 2D input as "side-by-side".
post #3 of 3 Old 01-15-2012, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter
km

Tony, thanks for the info.

I just noticed that HP sells a 23" 3D display, the 2311GT for $269. It appears to be passive 3D. Anyone have comments on a comparison of the two (and other similarly priced monitor) for my purpose.?
Reply 3D Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page