Opinions on Sharps active 3D ???? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 01-19-2012, 01:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Active 3D gives me eye strain and a whopping headache,, passive is no problem for me.

I was perhaps waiting for the new Sharp 80" 844 to up-size from my current non-3D Sharp 70 incher.

Im wondering if I will get the same eye strain and headache with Sharps active 3D as I do with Panasonics active 3D and other active 3D panels ?

I cannot find anywhere to demo Sharps active 3D.

Opinions ???

Cheers
Davyo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-19-2012, 12:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
You sure passive is fine for you? Interesting, most people that get headaches watching 3D get it from active and passive equally. I mean, I know people that can't even watch at nicer 3D theaters without getting headaches.
post #3 of 12 Old 01-19-2012, 12:43 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Magnolia inside BB has the Sharp on display. For opinions you're better looking at the thread in the LCD forum. Way more users there.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #4 of 12 Old 01-19-2012, 12:43 PM

Liked: 18
If you get headaches from Panasonics then you will most likely get them from Sharps since they have crosstalk and motion blur. Have you seen the newer panasonic 3D like with the new glasses that don't shutter.

Ignorance is a choice
post #5 of 12 Old 01-19-2012, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Huh? They're still active shutter glasses. They are improved, though. Panasonic is coming out with Passive this year, but only on their lower end LCDs.

Quote:

3D Active Shutter Eyewear

High-Precision Shutter Control Sends Clear 1080p Images to Each Eye

Highly precise control completely closes the shutters for both eyes at the instant that the images change for the left and right eyes. This masks unwanted afterimages to enable clear and comfortable 3D viewing.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #6 of 12 Old 01-19-2012, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNnDENVER View Post

You sure passive is fine for you? Interesting, most people that get headaches watching 3D get it from active and passive equally. I mean, I know people that can't even watch at nicer 3D theaters without getting headaches.

Yep,, Im sure,, I owned the Vizio 65" for a while and was fine with its passive 3D, and also all the passive sets I have demo'ed in stores have been fine.

A friend has a Panasonic and watching his active 3D hurts me, same thing happens with in-store demo's as well when I watch active 3D.

On a side note,, I get bad headache's when I watch a DLP projector or a DLP RPTV,,,,,,,,,, the headaches I get from DLP and active 3D must be related Im guessin,,,,, perhaps my eyes are just hyper sensitive to DLP and active 3D.

Cheers
Davyo
post #7 of 12 Old 01-19-2012, 08:29 PM

Liked: 18
What model TV does your friend have? And what model glasses? If it's the old glasses then that could be causing the headaches. They redesigned the new ones. I'm hyper sensitive to motion and shuttering and Panasonics are by far the best with it.

Ignorance is a choice
post #8 of 12 Old 01-20-2012, 01:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adupree View Post

What model TV does your friend have? And what model glasses? If it's the old glasses then that could be causing the headaches. They redesigned the new ones. I'm hyper sensitive to motion and shuttering and Panasonics are by far the best with it.

My friends Panny is a newer one (under a year old) I forget the model,, the glass's Im guessing were the Panny glass's I think he got with the panel purchase,,,, but thats not really important as I have checked out all the current Panny plasma's and other active panel brands and still suffer from the side effects of active 3D even with the newest panels that are available.

For the record Panasonic plasma's are my favorite plasma brand,, (I've owned many of them),,, so the active 3D I looked at the most has been with the Panny plasma's.

Cheers
Davyo
post #9 of 12 Old 01-20-2012, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I had a Sharp 835 52" for about a week before returning it due to clouding. I replaced it with a Panasonic GT30 55" which I am very happy with.

The Sharp active 3D gave me more eye strain than the Panasonic active 3D does. They both cause me minor eye strain but the Sharp was worse for me.

~Bill
post #10 of 12 Old 01-20-2012, 05:36 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
No active TV has given me eyestrain, but i wanted to contribute, for what its worth, that the 2011 46" LE835u has excellent brightness and shadow detail in addition to very low crosstalk levels. In returned it due to a weird 2d image quality problem, that i think may effect them all, but is hard to notice from far away i think because no other users commented on it. (I use my TV as a computer monitor....)

EDIT: Whoops... i should correct myself, i did have eyestrain the first day i used my display in 3D. I used it all day though, have since not gotten eye strain since despite racking up hundreds of hours of use. I did get a little sensation bordering on eye strain recently watching Hugo, but it was passive, dark, had terrible motion resolution and i think my brain was just on overdrive.
post #11 of 12 Old 01-21-2012, 04:14 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNnDENVER View Post

Most theaters use a single projector (RealD) which has a circular polarizing filter that alternates for left and right eyes. This means their 3D is time sequential- one eye sees a full image while the other eye sees a blank image. This has the same effect as active shutter glasses. On FPR passive tvs, both eyes receive images for each frame at the same time, so they are time parallel. The headaches are likely caused by people who are sensitive to having one eye getting image data while the other doesn't (since your brain is used to stitching together both left and right eyes at the same time).
Samsung had partnered with RealD into making a tv that did a similar thing to what theaters do- they have an electronically switchable polarizing filter in front of the screen. This would have allowed for inexpensive passive glasses, but it would not have fixed the issue for people who are sensitive to time sequential 3D. That's likely why they dropped it after announcing it.
Now many of the newer 4K theaters actually have two projectors for 3D (my local theater refers to it as something like eXtreme Digital or some such nonsense), so they are time parallel. I did notice on 3D films at that theater that I felt a little less eye fatigue after the movie was over compared to previous 3D films. YMMV.
post #12 of 12 Old 01-23-2012, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Also theaters do 120hz per eye as compared to the 60hz of active glasses. So probably less people have a problem with it.
Reply 3D Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page