Are there any 3D LED TV's with IPS panels? I bought a samsung 46d7000 thinkin was IPS - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 01-23-2012, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
dssence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Damn .. and lots of other.. things I got to say.. After hearing marvellous stuff about samsung.. I went from my panny 32lz800 which has a super IPS panel to this sammy 46d7000.. and I'm crying of dissapointment.. thought samsung used IPS panels ! and this .. sh..t doesn't have 180 wide angle view.. it looses colors on it's angles.. somethin which didn't happened obvisouly with my all beloved and incredible 32lz8000.
Now could someone please explain me what's going on with manufacturers.. are they using ****** panels? can't believe they're not putting IPS at least on 3D LED displays .. holy jesus!
dssence is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 Old 01-23-2012, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member
 
pete4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,550
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Most LG TV's use S-IPS panels since LG makes them. I don't believe Samsung makes IPS panels at all, they make S-PVA panels. I think Panasonic makes a-IPS panels.
I know what you mean about viewing angles, I have this cheap laptop and it works great, but the narrow viewing angle make me hate the whole computer, despite it performing beyond my expectations otherwise. Best way is to view TV in a store ahead of purchase to make sure there are no nasty surprises like that.
pete4 is offline  
post #3 of 11 Old 01-24-2012, 04:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
walford's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 16,789
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
PC displays have narrow viewing angles to make them more private since they assume ony 1 user and the user may be sitting right next to others.
walford is offline  
post #4 of 11 Old 01-24-2012, 05:53 PM
Member
 
Rooski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 178
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yeah, if you want IPS, look at some of the LG's. I had a 47LW6500 in our family room, and the off axis viewing was very impressive. Although, I did return it in favor of a Sammy D6000, because despite the poor viewing angles, and the poor backlight uniformity, IMO, the Sammy's overall PQ is substantially better then on the LG. I already had a D6000 in the bedroom, and had gotten spoiled with the PQ. The LG is much more versitile, though. The LG's do have matte screens, so I don't know how you feel about that.

In the bedroom, while lying in bed, we're on axis to the screen, so no problems there. With my D6000 in the family room, I had to angle the tv so it covers the couch, and a chair off to one side, and it just barely works out well enough.
Rooski is offline  
post #5 of 11 Old 01-25-2012, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
pete4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,550
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
That is simply not true reason. It's just the price cutting, those are the cheapest POS LCD panels you can get without stealing.
How about if I want to share video with my friend/GF/BF etc. Besides, seating off angle you can see everything, except all colors are inverted, but you can tell exactly what's on the screen, so privacy reason ain't going to fly. Problem is there is like maybe 3-4 models out of 100's that actually have IPS panels and price increase over cheap panel is enough to buy 40" TV, it wasn't like that just 4yrs ago.
Anyhow, shame to have this narrow angle on TV, since TV watching is almost always shared.

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford View Post

PC displays have narrow viewing angles to make them more private since they assume ony 1 user and the user may be sitting right next to others.

pete4 is offline  
post #6 of 11 Old 01-26-2012, 11:15 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
dssence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete4 View Post

Most LG TV's use S-IPS panels since LG makes them. I don't believe Samsung makes IPS panels at all, they make S-PVA panels. I think Panasonic makes a-IPS panels.
I know what you mean about viewing angles, I have this cheap laptop and it works great, but the narrow viewing angle make me hate the whole computer, despite it performing beyond my expectations otherwise. Best way is to view TV in a store ahead of purchase to make sure there are no nasty surprises like that.

So pete .. damn I bought this sammy and has a ****** S-PVA panel, I can't fu..ing believe it.. I didn't review before buying it cause a guy I know who's got good numbers on these things brought it, so I said well it's gonna be like my panny 32l800 which has an H-IPS panel which is outstanding.. afterwards.. came my surprise.
Every single panel samsung uses in their D7000, or D8000 , or D9000 series it's a PVA based.??? screw samsung. can't believe it .. do you know if samsung assembles their tv's with the same panels all around the world.. ? like panels used in tv's for US are the same as panels assembled in mexico ?
I just checked and there are really a few 3d tv's with IPS panels.. at least that have 178 degree angle.. LG which has passive glasses and some sony
dssence is offline  
post #7 of 11 Old 01-27-2012, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member
 
pete4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,550
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm a little bit surprised that S-PVA (I'm assuming it's what you got) has poor viewing angles, I thought they were almost as good as IPS? and I think S-PVA has better contrast ratio than IPS panel, but if the viewing angles bother you then maybe you should exchange TV for something else, you'll always notice it and concentrate on it, regardless how good everything else is (contrast, color etc), that's what I do with my laptop, it's a nice computer, but viewing angles just kill it for me so much that I want to get rid off it, just don't know what else to get without at least doubling the price, besides the fact that everything else on this computer is pretty good.
I also have older Westinghouse, which I'm sure does not have IPS panel (probably it has MVA panel), but honestly, viewing angles are pretty good on it, almost as good as my new LG S-IPS panel, so I know non IPS panels can have decent viewing angles as well. I'm not too familiar with your Samsung, so can't comment on that, but LG and Panasonic make and use IPS panels, Samsung and Sony make S-PVA panels, but be aware some makers buy panels from others, so you can find non IPS panel on cheap LG TV, or non Samsung panel on Sony etc.
pete4 is offline  
post #8 of 11 Old 01-30-2012, 10:30 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
dssence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete4 View Post

I'm a little bit surprised that S-PVA (I'm assuming it's what you got) has poor viewing angles, I thought they were almost as good as IPS? and I think S-PVA has better contrast ratio than IPS panel, but if the viewing angles bother you then maybe you should exchange TV for something else, you'll always notice it and concentrate on it, regardless how good everything else is (contrast, color etc), that's what I do with my laptop, it's a nice computer, but viewing angles just kill it for me so much that I want to get rid off it, just don't know what else to get without at least doubling the price, besides the fact that everything else on this computer is pretty good.
I also have older Westinghouse, which I'm sure does not have IPS panel (probably it has MVA panel), but honestly, viewing angles are pretty good on it, almost as good as my new LG S-IPS panel, so I know non IPS panels can have decent viewing angles as well. I'm not too familiar with your Samsung, so can't comment on that, but LG and Panasonic make and use IPS panels, Samsung and Sony make S-PVA panels, but be aware some makers buy panels from others, so you can find non IPS panel on cheap LG TV, or non Samsung panel on Sony etc.

Hi pete thanks so much for your answer.. sorry I couldn't answer before but I was with some things.. I did manage to take some pictures closely at the matrix grid of the display.. maybe I'm being quite picky, but anyways take a look at the pics I took . See what you think I'm mostly sure it's a sort of PVA matrix arrangement. let me know what you think, so by any chance, pva panels. have wide angle views like IPS ? I couldmanage to look closely and each of the rectangles are subdivided into little triangles. Something like this http://www.hdtv.com.pl/forum/attachm...hq01-2010r.jpg






dssence is offline  
post #9 of 11 Old 01-31-2012, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member
 
pete4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,550
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
IPS panel would have subpixel in the shape of chevron > , so it doesn't seem to be IPS panel. It's hard to say, but being Samsung this is probably S-PVA panel, unless they got the panel from 3rd party like Chi-Mei, hard to say without opening the back and reading the label.
This has some general info on type of panels used and their advantages/disadvantages:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TFT_LCD
But the bottom line is either you can accept viewing angles or not and if not, the best bet would be to go to the store and compare in person. Be aware there are other issues being reported about LCD panels like clouding, uneven backlight etc. so it is possible you fix one issue and come up with another.
pete4 is offline  
post #10 of 11 Old 08-16-2013, 06:07 AM
Newbie
 
sanalluri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Now sony is providing IPS panel to its 3D models.If anyone is interested in ips panels can go for sony than lg. I bought SONY 42W800A is has IPS panel tested.
sanalluri is offline  
post #11 of 11 Old 09-04-2013, 12:44 PM
Senior Member
 
xela19115's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 281
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12

Panasonic's 3D LED WT60 (240 Hz) and DT60 (120 Hz) lines are all IPS.

xela19115 is offline  
Reply 3D Displays

Tags
Samsung Un46d7000 46 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Led Hdtv Silver
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off