So, how'd I do (Samsung UN55D690 LED 120HZ) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 01-30-2012, 10:52 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
AndreHD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 268
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
As part of massive home improvement project, I decided to upgrade the 'ol Samsung 32" samsung CRT. Which I've never had any problems with in 6 years! Its just I needed to get with the times. The CRT will be the bedroom TV now. I letthe Bet Buy guys run me up a lot with the "you need this for 3D" sales trick but thats okay . TV comes feb. 9th. So tell me about this TV. The pros and cons. How'd I do?
AndreHD is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 23 Old 02-05-2012, 05:30 PM
Member
 
buonforte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 84
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreHD View Post

As part of massive home improvement project, I decided to upgrade the 'ol Samsung 32" samsung CRT. Which I've never had any problems with in 6 years! Its just I needed to get with the times. The CRT will be the bedroom TV now. I letthe Bet Buy guys run me up a lot with the "you need this for 3D" sales trick but thats okay . TV comes feb. 9th. So tell me about this TV. The pros and cons. How'd I do?

Your first mistake is you chose Active over Passive.

Passive 3D TV's such as those from LG and Toshiba are sharper, brighter, have no ghosting like Active, can be watched from a wider viewing angle, glasses are cheaper or free from the movie theater. No need for those expensive battery operated Active Shutter glasses that add weight and are uncomfortable. The advantages are with Passive.

Overall, I think that the 3D picture quality is so much better with Passive. So, can you cancel your order??
buonforte is offline  
post #3 of 23 Old 02-05-2012, 05:58 PM
Senior Member
 
Robut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 338
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by buonforte View Post

Your first mistake is you chose Active over Passive.

Passive 3D TV's such as those from LG and Toshiba are sharper, brighter, have no ghosting like Active, can be watched from a wider viewing angle, glasses are cheaper or free from the movie theater. No need for those expensive battery operated Active Shutter glasses that add weight and are uncomfortable. The advantages are with Passive.

Overall, I think that the 3D picture quality is so much better with Passive. So, can you cancel your order??

This is a matter of opinion. Don't cancel your order because of what this person says.
Robut is offline  
post #4 of 23 Old 02-06-2012, 02:43 AM
Member
 
buonforte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 84
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robut View Post

This is a matter of opinion. Don't cancel your order because of what this person says.

Not just a matter of opinion, but proven fact. Everything I'm saying is true. And let's not forget that more headaches are caused from the use of Active Shutter glasses then Passave glasses. Another proven fact. But of course, it's the OP's decision. I'm just stating the facts and my experience. Good luck.
buonforte is offline  
post #5 of 23 Old 02-06-2012, 07:38 AM
Senior Member
 
Robut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 338
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by buonforte View Post

Not just a matter of opinion, but proven fact. Everything I'm saying is true. And let's not forget that more headaches are caused from the use of Active Shutter glasses then Passave glasses. Another proven fact. But of course, it's the OP's decision. I'm just stating the facts and my experience. Good luck.

Could you post a link to this proof? Good luck. That passive 3D is sharper is so far from the truth I can't believe you would try to say it.
Robut is offline  
post #6 of 23 Old 02-06-2012, 08:08 AM
Member
 
KGBSteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you Robut for saying it before I had to. I've seen no factual info that states passive 3D is better then Active 3D and I find it laughable that you feel the need to try and crap all over the OP's choice of tv. Feel free to offer an opinion but don't try and pass it off as a fact you sound ridiculous.

Sorry to the OP I don't know much about the set you chose but I do know that I prefer Active to Passive and I haven't had a single headache yet nor has anyone in my family. To me Passive seems
like your looking through a screen door but that's me others enjoy it. Enjoy your new set.
KGBSteve is offline  
post #7 of 23 Old 02-06-2012, 09:18 AM
Senior Member
 
Robut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 338
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
AndreHD, I'm not sure if this applies to the display you ordered but maybe you should review this thread

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1362161
Robut is offline  
post #8 of 23 Old 02-06-2012, 12:06 PM
Member
 
Kinalyx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 51
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I do not enjoy passive 3d either. It may have something to do with an eye problem i have. I have a lazy eye, and if something is between me and an image(something on my windshield, or my glasses for instance) i see 2 images. So, when i put on passive glasses, it is INCREDIBLY hard for me to get my eyes to only see 1 image to see the 3d.

I do not have this issue with active 3d at all. Literally the first 3d movie i ever saw in my life was in my home a month ago. Im still 100% blown away by active 3d.

Shawn
Kinalyx is offline  
post #9 of 23 Old 02-06-2012, 03:22 PM
Member
 
buonforte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 84
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Most people including the experts will prefer and choose Passive. While they may not be perfect, I think they are a much better choice over Active, which has too many drawbacks. Here is one such link....

http://www.pcworld.com/article/22521...assive_3d.html
buonforte is offline  
post #10 of 23 Old 02-06-2012, 04:05 PM
Senior Member
 
Robut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 338
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by buonforte View Post

Most people including the experts will prefer and choose Passive. While they may not be perfect, I think they are a much better choice over Active, which has too many drawbacks. Here is one such link....

http://www.pcworld.com/article/22521...assive_3d.html

There you go saying most people. The link shows a couple of people prefer passive and it's definitely not because it's sharper. I can match and surpass you article for article and study for study that says active is superior. In terms of picture quality in 3D, active is proven superior. So cut the untrue generalizations.

Even a direct quote from your linked article states "Even though active-shutter glasses should produce a better image, both of us preferred the passive 3D glasses overall" and "While passive 3D tech is at a disadvantage for image quality". They preferred passive for reasons other than picture quality. Even though I don't agree with all those other reasons I can at least see their point. Many current top of the line active displays do not have the problems they have issues with. Also there are people that don't see flicker or get headaches and active glasses are getting lighter and cheaper.
Robut is offline  
post #11 of 23 Old 02-06-2012, 04:30 PM
Member
 
KGBSteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Those chuckleheads from a PC magazine are experts? Yikes! I guess I'll have to contact them to find out what new car I should buy too since they probably know as much about cars as they do about 3D tv's. That was a sad piece of evidence you used I hope your not a lawyer.

I have yet to find an article with such proof, even if I did my eyes tell a different truth and that's all that matters. I say you go back to the LG passive threads because your not convincing anyone here.
KGBSteve is offline  
post #12 of 23 Old 02-06-2012, 04:51 PM
Member
 
buonforte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 84
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have yet to read anything where Active was prefered over Passive. Why don't you face the fact: Passive is better!

http://www.extremetech.com/electroni...ve-3d-tv?print

http://gizmodo.com/5837907/the-best-...assive-glasses
buonforte is offline  
post #13 of 23 Old 02-06-2012, 05:01 PM
Member
 
buonforte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 84
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robut View Post

There you go saying most people. The link shows a couple of people prefer passive and it's definitely not because it's sharper. I can match and surpass you article for article and study for study that says active is superior. In terms of picture quality in 3D, active is proven superior. So cut the untrue generalizations.

Even a direct quote from your linked article states "Even though active-shutter glasses should produce a better image, both of us preferred the passive 3D glasses overall" and "While passive 3D tech is at a disadvantage for image quality". They preferred passive for reasons other than picture quality. Even though I don't agree with all those other reasons I can at least see their point. Many current top of the line active displays do not have the problems they have issues with. Also there are people that don't see flicker or get headaches and active glasses are getting lighter and cheaper.

Thanks for the reply. BTW, what 3D TV do you own?
buonforte is offline  
post #14 of 23 Old 02-06-2012, 05:05 PM
Member
 
buonforte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 84
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
You are all nice people. Maybe some of you mis-informed, but still nice nevertheless, very nice. I'm not trying to start a flame war. The OP asked for the pro's and con's of these sets and that's what I'm trying to state. While no format is perfect, there's just too many drawbacks or "con's" with the Active sets. My intention is to enlighten the OP so that he may make an informed decision.
buonforte is offline  
post #15 of 23 Old 02-06-2012, 05:18 PM
Senior Member
 
Robut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 338
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by buonforte View Post

I have yet to read anything where Active was prefered over Passive. Why don't you face the fact: Passive is better!

http://www.extremetech.com/electroni...ve-3d-tv?print

http://gizmodo.com/5837907/the-best-...assive-glasses

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETc3Ep3wcEk

http://www.hometheater.com/content/c...3d-flat-panels

Not a fact, but you go ahead enjoy passive if you like it. You deserve it.

I have a UN55c8000. The only problem it has is crosstalk because it is a 2010 model. Current LCD and Plasma active displays are excellent.
Robut is offline  
post #16 of 23 Old 02-06-2012, 05:22 PM
Member
 
buonforte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 84
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robut View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETc3Ep3wcEk

http://www.hometheater.com/content/c...3d-flat-panels

Not a fact, but you go ahead enjoy passive if you like it. You deserve it.

I have a UN55c8000. The only problem it has is crosstalk because it is a 2010 model. Current LCD and Plasma active displays are excellent.

That is a nice set. Samsung has always made some of the best TV's on the market.
buonforte is offline  
post #17 of 23 Old 02-06-2012, 05:22 PM
Member
 
KGBSteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by buonforte View Post

You are all nice people. Maybe some of you mis-informed, but still nice nevertheless, very nice. I'm not trying to start a flame war. The OP asked for the pro's and con's of these sets and that's what I'm trying to state. While no format is perfect, there's just too many drawbacks or "con's" with the Active sets. My intention is to enlighten the OP so that he may make an informed decision.

You clearly didn't do that at all. You crapped all over Active technology stating "cons" that are based on your opinion. Passive works for you, Active for others including myself.

I'm pretty sure the OP made an informed decision the day he went to the store to purchased his set. He asked for Pros and Cons about the set not the 3D technology he obviously viewed the set in store and liked it enough to buy one, That's all that matters.

I hope that you don't "help" everyone the way you "helped" the OP.
KGBSteve is offline  
post #18 of 23 Old 02-06-2012, 05:23 PM
Senior Member
 
Robut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 338
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by buonforte View Post

I have yet to read anything where Active was prefered over Passive. Why don't you face the fact: Passive is better!

http://www.extremetech.com/electroni...ve-3d-tv?print

http://gizmodo.com/5837907/the-best-...assive-glasses

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETc3Ep3wcEk

http://www.hometheater.com/content/c...3d-flat-panels

http://reviews.cnet.com/2735-7608_7-1278-3.html

http://www.sonyrumors.net/2011/07/05...keting-scheme/

Not a fact, but you go ahead enjoy passive if you like it. You deserve it.

I have a UN55c8000. The only problem it has is crosstalk because it is a 2010 model. Current LCD and Plasma active displays are excellent.
Robut is offline  
post #19 of 23 Old 02-06-2012, 05:37 PM
Senior Member
 
Robut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 338
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Sorry about the accidental double post.
Robut is offline  
post #20 of 23 Old 02-06-2012, 07:01 PM
Member
 
EVERRET's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 62
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Passive vs Active

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20028916-1.html

Look for 4K sets possibly Later this year to Really boost the 3D quality of Passive

LG - http://www.reghardware.com/2012/02/0...r_3d_tv_specs/

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/tech...he-hoopla.html
EVERRET is offline  
post #21 of 23 Old 02-06-2012, 08:12 PM
Senior Member
 
Robut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 338
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVERRET View Post

Passive vs Active

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20028916-1.html

Look for 4K sets possibly Later this year to Really boost the 3D quality of Passive

LG - http://www.reghardware.com/2012/02/0...r_3d_tv_specs/

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/tech...he-hoopla.html


Thanks Everret, for bringing up 4k. Hopefully it'll put this format bashing on both sides to rest. With 4k I'll happily jump on the passive bandwagon.
Robut is offline  
post #22 of 23 Old 02-07-2012, 02:16 AM
Member
 
KGBSteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If the 4K passive sets look as good or
Better in 3D then my LG 60PZ950 I'm sold, should be an exciting year.
KGBSteve is offline  
post #23 of 23 Old 02-07-2012, 07:27 AM
Member
 
Rooski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 178
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by buonforte View Post

Your first mistake is you chose Active over Passive.

Passive 3D TV's such as those from LG and Toshiba are sharper, brighter, have no ghosting like Active, can be watched from a wider viewing angle, glasses are cheaper or free from the movie theater. No need for those expensive battery operated Active Shutter glasses that add weight and are uncomfortable. The advantages are with Passive.

Overall, I think that the 3D picture quality is so much better with Passive. So, can you cancel your order??

Well, 3D aside, I tried an LG LW6500, and even though it's a well rounded set, I thought the overall 2D picture quality stunk, when compared to the "D" series Samsung I already had.
Rooski is offline  
Reply 3D Displays

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off