High quality passive 3D glasses - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 02-13-2012, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Does anyone have some high quality passive 3D glasses they could recommend? I am interested in a standard pair for myself and clip-ons for my son. I have plenty of the standard RealD glasses that we've kept from theater showings, but I'd like something of better quality for both home and theater use. I've seen that Oakley has a 3D version of the GasCans that are pretty pricey, but maybe the performance merits it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 02-14-2012, 04:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I don't think there is any difference in "performance", only more attractive frames.
post #3 of 14 Old 02-15-2012, 12:39 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ive bought the gunner and rocket fish for about 60$ a piece. I'd highly recommend the rocket fish, gunner is about to break at the nosepiece. Furthermore the rocket fish is made by oakley optics. Quality is about the same bug cooler.
post #4 of 14 Old 02-15-2012, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Wow...I guess if the quality is all the same, I'll just get some cheap clip ons for my son and stick with the generic RealD glasses. I'm way past the point of spending money on "style" over substance, I thought maybe there were some better optics out there that gave a performance improvement.
post #5 of 14 Old 02-15-2012, 03:30 PM

Liked: 44
Understanding Lenses - Lens Material

Quote:

•Glass—PROS: Superior optical clarity; superior scratch-resistance. CONS: Heavier than others; expensive; glass will "spider" when impacted (but not chip or shatter).

•NXT polyurethane—PROS: Superior impact-resistance; excellent optical clarity; flexible and lightweight. CONS: Expensive.

•Polycarbonate—PROS: Excellent impact-resistance; very good optical clarity; affordable; lightweight and low bulk. CONS: Less scratch-resistance; slightly less optical-clarity than glass or NXT.

•Acrylic—PROS: Inexpensive alternative to polycarbonate, best suited for casual or occasional-use sunglasses. CONS: Less durable and optically clear than polycarbonate or glass; some image distortion.

http://www.rei.com/expertadvice/arti...unglasses.html
post #6 of 14 Old 02-16-2012, 04:17 PM

Different glasses sometimes have different color tint as well. I have three types; movie theater RealD type, and two Vizio styles..one stylish the other thicker. There is definitely a tint difference, some looking more blue the other more yellow. The difference is slight but its there. I end up using the thick rimmed utilitarian Vizio pairs, they give the best image to me. I too was looking into the more expensive types hoping for performance increases but the biggest performance increase is the reduction of crosstalk from going to a 240 Hz set from a 120.

My Theater Gallery
Xbox Live gamertag: Ikari Warrior
Playstation Network ID: IkariWarrior
post #7 of 14 Old 02-23-2012, 03:00 AM

If you are gonna spend SOME money on a pair $50+ get a pair of those alain mikli's or oakleys for the LG cinema 3D pairs. You can use those for outdoors as sunglasses and indoors for 3D viewing. I read a blog a lil while ago with some pretty nice models that were featured at CES. They look way better than my Panny shutters.
post #8 of 14 Old 02-23-2012, 03:53 AM

3d polarized glasses are not all the same. Despite the inherent differences between linear polarized and circular polarized, I've noticed a difference in the amount of polarized light filtered when switching between my LG TV glasses and my Acer glasses. In playing a 3d game I can put my character up against a background with a much different color and contrast and I can notice a slight ghosting at times. If I switch to my LG glasses this ghosting comes through even more. I think there is a bit of light that isn't getting filtered out and being noticed in these situations. Since my higher quality Acer 3d polarized glasses even has light get through, I would still be interested in finding a better pair. When and if this market ever gets better I imagine they will rate these glasses by how efficient they are at filtering the polarized light.

Added later: Turns out I'm wrong, so scrap what I wrote above. I put my LG TV on the Smart app called Yabazam which shows 3d trailers and my LG glasses showed least amount of ghosting and the Acer glasses a lot more. They must be different types of polarization. Funny that they both work on each , it's just in different areas the glasses not designed for each monitor/TV showed ghosting or more ghosting in particular areas.

Added even later: (maybe I need to know what I'm talking about before I post :-D) I can tilt my head with the Acer glasses on when viewing my TV and the ghosting will disappear. Some articles I read state this means they are linear polarized and I wonder if each of the glasses just have the polarization at a different angle. But I'm not sure, maybe circular polarized will show some ghosting with head tilts on big differences in contrast??
post #9 of 14 Old 02-23-2012, 02:28 PM

I bought a pair of the GUNNAR 3D glasses and the picture is nothing but crosstalk when watching 3D on my TOSHIBA 42TL515U
post #10 of 14 Old 02-26-2012, 05:20 AM

off course there is difference. if you buy cheap 3d glasses you cant enjoy enough. I saw Amazon sold some pair 3d glasses.
post #11 of 14 Old 02-26-2012, 05:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsungue46 View Post

off course there is difference. if you buy cheap 3d glasses you cant enjoy enough. I saw Amazon sold some pair 3d glasses.

Samsung doesn't use passive glasses.
post #12 of 14 Old 12-13-2013, 01:31 PM

I have a pair of home theater polarized passive 3d glasses import from England 

contact 03322185925

post #13 of 14 Old 12-13-2013, 01:32 PM