Help Me Choose! Can't decide - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 02-17-2012, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
first time poster long time reader...just joined a little while ago

I am looking to set up a 3d capable home theater, and can't decide between two displays ive been able to find on sale.

the first is toshiba 65ul610u the other is sharp-aquos-60-1080p-240hz-3d-led-smart-tv-lc60le835u

sorry as a first time poster it wont let me put links up...
3d is not the biggest priority but something i would like to have, i watch a lot of sports, play a lot of nhl and first person shooters. it will be set up to a home theater pc.

but what i really want to decide is if the toshiba is a better tv, i am new to the 3d market and would appreciate any and all advice oh and i can get them for about the same price. the sharp is slightly cheaper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-23-2012, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjgncjgn View Post

first time poster long time reader...just joined a little while ago

I am looking to set up a 3d capable home theater, and can't decide between two displays ive been able to find on sale.

the first is toshiba 65ul610u the other is sharp-aquos-60-1080p-240hz-3d-led-smart-tv-lc60le835u

sorry as a first time poster it wont let me put links up...
3d is not the biggest priority but something i would like to have, i watch a lot of sports, play a lot of nhl and first person shooters. it will be set up to a home theater pc.

but what i really want to decide is if the toshiba is a better tv, i am new to the 3d market and would appreciate any and all advice oh and i can get them for about the same price. the sharp is slightly cheaper

If you're going to get a 3D LED TV, just wait until LG's new 3D LED line up comes out, the LM series.

Now if you want one right now and you like to watch sports, play a lot of games, then absolutely get a panasonic plasma. I'm sure people with a Panasonic will vouch for me too. You should lean towards the VT30 if you got cash or go with the GT30 if you're on a budget.
post #3 of 5 Old 02-28-2012, 10:08 AM

We purchased a Panasonic TC-P55VT30 in early January 2012. We used a series of slides we found out about on this (AVS) forum to break it in for the first 100 hours. We used the pixel orbiter and every other anti-image retention tool available on the set. Despite all of these precautions, our set developed burn-in (and it's burn-in NOT IR) in the upper left-hand corner, the lower left-hand corner, and the lower right-hand corner from MW3's HUD within 6-weeks' time. We played several hours per day (after work and on weekends) but NEVER left the game on pause. We also watched some full-screen programming (NetFlix) between gaming sessions. MW3's HUD still burnt the screen. All this talk about new plasmas being impervious to burn-in is absolute nonsense. Videogames with static HUDs will burn even the best plasma tvs (ours is top-of-the-line). And don't even suggest that we abused the set... We used the darn thing, we didn't abuse it. Throwing a controller at it would have constituted abuse. Playing games and watching movies constitute use not abuse. If you do get a plasma for gaming (and I do NOT recommend it), break it in for at least 200 hours using slides or other material created for breaking in plasmas. Turn the contrast down to considerably less than the default in game mode. Limit your gaming to no more than about an hour at a time and then run some full-screen programming (e.g., a movie, tv without static logo) for at least an hour or so between gaming sessions. Use a pure white screen (such as a screen washer) in torch mode (Vivid) once every couple of days to check for darkened areas on the screen. We're going to buy a second tv (a LED/LCD with 16 ms input lag, comparable to the Panasonic) for gaming and will not be using the plasma for gaming any longer. Bottom line is, plasmas... even the newest top-of-the-line plasmas... can and do burn in even if you don't "abuse" them.
post #4 of 5 Old 02-28-2012, 10:02 PM

Liked: 18
I'd go with a Panasonic. I have one and love it. I game on mine all the time and have no issue. If you game properly, NOT for hours in a row, you'll have no issue.

Ignorance is a choice
post #5 of 5 Old 02-28-2012, 10:31 PM

Liked: 11
Im very impressed with my Vizio passive set for gaming. And at $504.99 for a 47inch the price was right too. Just got it today though so....
Reply 3D Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page