Panasonic 3D glasses - 2nd gen vs 3rd gen? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 23 Old 02-20-2012, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have the Panasonic 55" VT 30 and am looking to purchase 3D glasses for the set.

I purchased 2 pair from Paul's at a fair $70 a piece only to find that they're out of stock when I went to pick them up at the warehouse and they don't seem to know when more will be arriving. These are the 3rd Gen glasses (TY-EW3D3MU).

Patience is running thin and I've found the Avatar kit for about $215. The glasses included with this kit are the 2nd gen glasses however.

Is there a difference between the two? Should I hold out and get the 3rd gen glasses when they come in or is there no sense in waiting?

I'm not really all that concerned about the Avatar disc itself. If I decide I really want it, I can always get that separately on ebay.

Thanks in advance for your help!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 02-21-2012, 06:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I'd wait for the 3rd gen. They are lighter, provider a brighter picture, and an option for someone to change from 3d to 2d probably if the 3d gives them a headache. I've been waiting for 5 weeks now for glasses to come in. I've been told before the end of the month but have little hope that will happen.
post #3 of 23 Old 02-21-2012, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for the info mark. I'll keep waiting then *sigh*
post #4 of 23 Old 02-22-2012, 09:34 AM

I just ordered genuine Panny 3rd gen 3d glasses on eBay from China. The seller had good reviews. I didn't get them yet, they were $75 each I got 4.
Rich
post #5 of 23 Old 02-22-2012, 10:12 AM
Advanced Member

Mine were $70 each, only got two pairs but might pick up a third when they come in. I've been told by a few places that they hope to have them in this week, but aren't sure on that. Hopefully that is correct, it's been long enough.

I've also had the 3rd gen glasses before (returned the tv and glasses when I couldn't sell my other tv and though I wouldn't be able to keep the VT30, eventually sold a month later and bought but no glasses now), and speaking from experience I much prefered the 3rd gen glasses over the ones that come with the tv. They are much more comfortable and a better design.
post #6 of 23 Old 02-23-2012, 02:56 AM

Why don't you go for the Xband Universal Glasses. I read somewhere they were "Better"than the standard manufacturer pairs.
post #7 of 23 Old 02-23-2012, 05:56 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by gosugadget View Post

Why don't you go for the Xband Universal Glasses. I read somewhere they were "Better"than the standard manufacturer pairs.

My XpanD 103 glasses quit working after a few months; also could never re-sync to my Panny 3D plasma when I received a replacement model.
post #8 of 23 Old 02-23-2012, 06:09 AM

The xpands and 2nd gens are heavy compared to the 3rd gens. 3rd gens are what you want. I shopped Amazon daily and was able to find 2 pair below retail.
post #9 of 23 Old 02-26-2012, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

great information here everyone. thank you. definitely holding out for 3rd gen. found them online really cheap @ $60 each and sent an email asking for confirmation that they're in stock. they didn't specify on their website where other companies have it posted that they expect to ship within about 3 weeks.

As soon as I hear back, I'll let you guys know in case anyone is interested
post #10 of 23 Old 02-27-2012, 05:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_b View Post

I'd wait for the 3rd gen. They are lighter, provider a brighter picture, and an option for someone to change from 3d to 2d probably if the 3d gives them a headache. I've been waiting for 5 weeks now for glasses to come in. I've been told before the end of the month but have little hope that will happen.

I dont understand why you would need to switch from 3d to 2d if it gave you a headache - if you try to watch 3d with no glasses you will get a headache anyways

is the only thing about these glasses thats better is that they are lighter and have different sizes?

are they any other 3rd party makers that make better glasses that will work with the vt30's?

I want the retro skin back please
post #11 of 23 Old 02-27-2012, 08:25 AM

I haven't really heard of any better glasses but some people have had luck with the Sony Playstation 3 3D glasses.
post #12 of 23 Old 02-28-2012, 01:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftkidney View Post

I dont understand why you would need to switch from 3d to 2d if it gave you a headache - if you try to watch 3d with no glasses you will get a headache anyways

is the only thing about these glasses thats better is that they are lighter and have different sizes?

are they any other 3rd party makers that make better glasses that will work with the vt30's?

The 3d to 2d switch on the glasses allows a person to properly watch a 3d movie in 2d. You still need to keep the glasses on, but if you need to switch to 2d, you flick the switch and the glasses will display the 3d image in 2d.
post #13 of 23 Old 02-29-2012, 03:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_b View Post

The 3d to 2d switch on the glasses allows a person to properly watch a 3d movie in 2d. You still need to keep the glasses on, but if you need to switch to 2d, you flick the switch and the glasses will display the 3d image in 2d.

I didnt even know that that was possible to do

how does that work? wouldnt the glasses have to have a processor in it or something like that - or can it just reverse the pattern the glasses flash in and get it back to 2d?

I have never herd of this feature, are you sure it works like that?

post #14 of 23 Old 03-01-2012, 06:57 AM
Advanced Member

It works like that. Not sure what technology they have to get it to work, but it does work. As I said, I had these 3rd gen glasses before and tried it out. I also have just got one pair of 3rd gen glasses and that's what it does. There is the on/off switch at the top of the glasses. This switch is also the 3d-2d switch. When the glasses are on, you just press the switch to the right and the 3d image becomes 2d. Press it again and it's 3d again. You must keep the glasses on though to see the 2d image properly (as the tv is displaying a 3d image). The image on the tv will be blurry if you take the glasses of. But if your eyes are getting sore from 3d, it's a good way to rest them. I've never had issues though with 3d and after watching Puss in Boots in 3d the other night I found 3d better than the last movie I saw in the theatre.
post #15 of 23 Old 03-01-2012, 02:34 PM
GEP
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
The 2D mode is simply flashing both eyes together instead of separately. So both eyes see the same view all of the time. The glasses are still flashing at the same rate, just together. Now if there was a setting to select which view both eyes see, then you have support for the new PS3 gamming feature where one player sees one screen and the other player sees another screen. TI called this feature “Dual View” and the RealD Crystal Eyes glasses supported the feature.
post #16 of 23 Old 03-01-2012, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEP View Post

The 2D mode is simply flashing both eyes together instead of separately. So both eyes see the same view all of the time. The glasses are still flashing at the same rate, just together. Now if there was a setting to select which view both eyes see, then you have support for the new PS3 gamming feature where one player sees one screen and the other player sees another screen. TI called this feature Dual View and the RealD Crystal Eyes glasses supported the feature.

+1!

Ed
post #17 of 23 Old 03-01-2012, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsound8 View Post

I have the Panasonic 55" VT 30 and am looking to purchase 3D glasses for the set.

I purchased 2 pair from Paul's at a fair $70 a piece only to find that they're out of stock when I went to pick them up at the warehouse and they don't seem to know when more will be arriving. These are the 3rd Gen glasses (TY-EW3D3MU).

Patience is running thin and I've found the Avatar kit for about $215. The glasses included with this kit are the 2nd gen glasses however.

Is there a difference between the two? Should I hold out and get the 3rd gen glasses when they come in or is there no sense in waiting?

I'm not really all that concerned about the Avatar disc itself. If I decide I really want it, I can always get that separately on ebay.

Thanks in advance for your help!!

I bought Avatar starter kit. Glasses are 3rd generation.
post #18 of 23 Old 03-02-2012, 04:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEP View Post

The 2D mode is simply flashing both eyes together instead of separately. So both eyes see the same view all of the time. The glasses are still flashing at the same rate, just together. Now if there was a setting to select which view both eyes see, then you have support for the new PS3 gamming feature where one player sees one screen and the other player sees another screen. TI called this feature Dual View and the RealD Crystal Eyes glasses supported the feature.

I thought that was done with that new display that Sony is sosposta have thats got a lcd screen that has 2 viewing angles, no glasses needed with the one I say at ces 2011 you just saw a different image on one side of the screen and if you are in the middle it looks sorta strange and you can see both images, they had pictures displayed not a video

but my friend just got the Panasonic 65VT30 and it came with 1 pair of glasses, I assume are the large pair but are what look like the ones for sale that are 3rd gen - the TV has a Jan 2012 date on it so its pretty new

I havent seen a switch for 2d/3d but I didnt look, tomorrow I will check that out and see

but I dont like the glasses, they have really small lenses, sorta like a rectangle and I cant even see the whole screen through them some parts of the edge of the screen is slightly covered by the frame of the lens - I am about 6-7ft from the screen but when we get the tv stand its going to be moved a little farther to maybe 8ft

but I want glasses that are large round circles so I cant see the frame and have covers to block out light from the room - maybe 3d goggles? its probably a cost thing but I would gladly pay double or more to get large lens 3d glasses like huge 3-5 inch circles maybe wrap around if they dont have to be flat, I assume they do

post #19 of 23 Old 03-03-2012, 04:41 AM
Advanced Member

there is no button on the glasses that my friend has to make 3d 2d

they look just like the 3rd gen ones that are on amazon and Panasonic's site

I took some pics but there are numbers on the side of them - on the left side if you were wearing them is "TY-EW3D2MA" on the part with the lenses along with some fcc logo and other stuff like that - on the other side is nothing but a image about not throwing it in the trash and a 10 with what looks like a "sync" symbol around it

the side parts on the left says "GM19250517 A3" and the right side says the normal UL listed stuff with "E340592" and the 5V 80ma info about the power

so these should be the 3rd gen ones and there is no button or switch other then the on/off one, I have checked everywhere

post #20 of 23 Old 03-03-2012, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftkidney View Post

there is no button on the glasses that my friend has to make 3d 2d

they look just like the 3rd gen ones that are on amazon and Panasonic's site

I took some pics but there are numbers on the side of them - on the left side if you were wearing them is "TY-EW3D2MA" on the part with the lenses along with some fcc logo and other stuff like that - on the other side is nothing but a image about not throwing it in the trash and a 10 with what looks like a "sync" symbol around it

Those are 2nd gen as indicated by the "2" after "3D;" TY-EW3D3MU is the model number of the medium 3rd gen glasses. Also, on the 3rd gen, the on/off button is the button that switches to 2D.
post #21 of 23 Old 03-04-2012, 09:29 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissonance79 View Post

I haven't really heard of any better glasses but some people have had luck with the Sony Playstation 3 3D glasses.

...I use the Sony Playstation 3D glasses with my Panasonic 42GT25 Plasma, works great! They are alittle heavy to me but I do wear them over my prescription glasses.
post #22 of 23 Old 04-01-2012, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by varmintx View Post

Those are 2nd gen as indicated by the "2" after "3D;" TY-EW3D3MU is the model number of the medium 3rd gen glasses. Also, on the 3rd gen, the on/off button is the button that switches to 2D.

I just picked up a pair TY-EW3D3LU for 59.98 at costcaptain apparently they already dc'd these ones for the early VT25 series. Figured better get them now while the price is acceptable.
post #23 of 23 Old 09-20-2012, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quick question. I just receied a set of the 3rd gen panasonic glasses but won't have my 3D display for a week or two. The manual says that sliding the 2D/3D switch will put them in 2D mode and the LED will flash twice every four seconds (instead of the once every two seconds when in 3D mode). Do the glasses have to be receiving an IR 3D signal for this switch to occur? Mine just keep flashing the LED once every two seconds no matter how many times I slide the switch. Thanks.
Reply 3D Displays

Tags
Panasonic , 3d Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt30 55 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page