AVS Forum banner

2d to 3d feature

5K views 22 replies 19 participants last post by  johnny905 
#1 ·
I was watching Downton Abbey and the depth of the picture was great. Wondering why all HD doesn't look like that.

So my question is if I get a tv with 2d to 3d converion how good will it be. I don't expect it to be 3d but if I could watch everything with the same look of depth that Downton Abbey had, it might be worth trying.

So if you have a tv with 2d to 3d please let me know what kind it is and how you feel about the picture quality and depth.

Thanks

#2 ·
Samsung

It's really not all that great really, with some content looking better than other, and with some shows I could barely tell any difference at all.

#3 ·
Samsung 55D8000

The 2D-3D conversion cannot be confused with original 3D and I don't think it will on any tv's. However....

Since I got my Sammy, I picked up a video rocker so I could get comfortably closer (5-6 feet instead of my normal 14-16 feet viewing range) and the true 3D improved dramatically (for me anyway). I had tried the conversion previously and never made it very far at all into the couple movies I tried. Then I forced myself to watch the Mummy with 2D to 3D. After about 45 minutes, I decided it wasn't doing much and turned it off. I only made it another 5 minutes in 2D and converted it back to 3D and watched the rest of the movie.

So I guess I am saying two things. Closer is better for any 3D and judge the 2D to 3D conversion when reverting back to 2D rather then at the start of the conversion.

#4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by colts19 /forum/post/21676982

I was watching Downton Abbey and the depth of the picture was great. Wondering why all HD doesn't look like that.

So my question is if I get a tv with 2d to 3d converion how good will it be. I don't expect it to be 3d but if I could watch everything with the same look of depth that Downton Abbey had, it might be worth trying.

So if you have a tv with 2d to 3d please let me know what kind it is and how you feel about the picture quality and depth.

Thanks

When you say "I don't expect it to be 3d". It is 3d. The depth isn't as much as native 3d and things don't pop out of the screen but it has depth. To me it is 3d.

#5 ·
Don't bother with 2D->3D conversion. It is nowhere near a real 3D content in terms of quality of the depth.

Why? Think about how they can convert a 2D picture into 3D. The information of depth isn't present, so they need to invent one. There are multiple ways of doing that and it is mostly a combination of techniques:

- Detect the different objects by using edge detection algorithms.

- Track the difference of movements between these objects, and check if it is maps to the camera moving

- Change of focus between the objects

etc.

There are a lot of research papers on these kind of stuff, for example http://www.cs.vu.nl/ishare/public/I-Share-P34v1.0.pdf

In TVs, they need to do that in real time, so the amount of algorithms they can run is limited due to the limited processing power.

Because the algorithm cannot be 100% sure of the depth, it will try to not make big errors. This means that the average depth variation will be very limited to prevent making something awkward to the viewer. The end result will be a lot of less depth than a real 3D movie.

#6 ·
Not all 2D to 3d conversion yields the same quality and viewing distance plays a big part in the amount of depth. If you pause the screen and move to and from the TV, you'll see the effect. Moving farther away increases the perceived depth. Its t shame its not the opposite IMO.

#9 ·
On my 2010 Samsung plasma, 2D>3D conversion is also hit or miss. In addition to using various algorithms to calculate relative depth of objects on the screen, many TVs also try to create stereoscopic images for each eye by shifting the image to the left or right. I can clearly see this when pausing the image and closing one eye and then the other; the image coming to each eye is visibly shifted to the left or right. The result is that 2D>3D often yields a very nice illusion of depth for still pictures (a feature I often use) but as soon as movement is introduced, the sense of depth is often minimized or lost altogether.

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjoejgde /forum/post/21684812

I was thinking before i opened this thread that you were saying "LG does the best converting,i always watch converted" lol

Seems to be a personal thing. One has to check and compare sets for ones self, and that means everyone in the family. No one else in my house wants to watch converted. It is why I ended up with a DM-2350. I can watch converted on it while everyone else watches the main 2D set. We watch very little Blu-Ray 3D. Don't get any 3D channels either (Dish). We go to the theater to see 3D movies. The theater experience is definitely a lot better than even Blu-ray.

#12 ·
Try using it on photos. I get some spectacular results on photo files-- jpeg . For example , a Monet cd of his best art on Samsung 2011 3D tv-- it adds texture and depth and insight into the process of painting, layers, perspective. Another such disc of fantasy art shows much depth and 3D especially with star filled space backgrounds -- the depth is real--appearing as if you can reach into it. Since some work very well I have created playlists of the best results. Great for demos and backgrounds for music.

#13 ·
2D>3D is getting better. I recently bought a 2012 LG LM7600 TV and the 2D>3D conversion is markedly better than my 2010 Samsung 3D plasma. The LG gives me control for both depth into the screen and convergence in front of the screen and by playing with those settings I've gotten some pretty good results. It will never be mistaken for native 3D, there are still stretches where the sense of depth is negligible (especially with fast camera movement), and in your face 3D pop out of the screen really doesn't happen but the illusion of depth is more consistent and persistent.

The problem is that 99% of films were not designed with 3D in mind so the extra dimensionality, even when done right, doesn't add much to the experience and ends up being a novelty that is turned off after about 30 minutes.

#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurice2 /forum/post/21959454

Has anyone tried 2D>3D while viewing a hockey game and/or a baseball game? Can you give us your impressions? Does it add positively to the experience? Thank you.

I actually watched a few of the playoff games from NBC using my LM7600's 2D>3D capability. It definitely added a sense of depth and separation between the crowd, the rink and the players. Some of the colors (such as the Bruins' black jerseys against the white ice) yielded an odd 3D effect at times but as I mentioned in my post above, I got a sense of added depth most of the time that was interesting but didn't quite make me want to watch the entire game that way.

#16 ·
I'm trying to find the most ridiculous stuff to watch this way- should have thought to try it with a Brady Bunch episode when I had the DVDs out. I checked out a lot of stuff on TV, mostly commercials and infomercials- some looked pretty good, others didn't. At the least it's like the fake-stereo mode on a sound system trying to spread a mono soundtrack to every speaker. At a store I saw part of American Idol on an LG passive TV- Ryan Seacrest's face looked like it was concave!

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurice2 /forum/post/21959454

Has anyone tried 2D>3D while viewing a hockey game and/or a baseball game? Can you give us your impressions? Does it add positively to the experience? Thank you.

I dont think the Panasonic 2d to 3d is all that impressive. I find 3d distracting in some instances for sports. Havent made up my mind on it, now a tru 3d movie shot in 3d different story all together. Avatar was amazing

#18 ·
I own an LG 65LM6200 and I find 2d to 3d to be quite useful on alot of programming. I like it for basketball games but keep in mind there are adjustments that can and do need to be made depending on the content. For instance, the cinema setting doesn't work great for basketball but standard or manual does and with manual you can adjust the viewpoint and depth to get the desired results. Keep in mind you won't see any 3d popout effects with 2d to 3d but depth is definitely there. For instance, I watched Warhorse on Blu-ray over the weekend and I used 2d to 3d and it was wonderful. Talk shows not too much...there will be certain types of content that obviously lends itself better to the conversion. All things considered, it's absolutely a nice feature to have and I'm thrilled to have it. Of course, there is no substitute for Blu-ray 3d which is breathtaking in some instances. Hope this helps!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.