ST1080 1080p Head Mounted Display Pre-orders starting March 1st w/ $100 Discount - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 381 Old 03-02-2012, 04:22 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by bravia3D View Post

They should have waited till the product is ready to ship, then let people order. But I went ahead and pre-ordered just so I can get my hands on one.

Not so happy they make you pay in advance though, to me it seems they need the money to even make units to sell first.

It's obvious the company is new at the consumer sales level. It is the first company in my memory where I ordered and didn't receive an order/pre-order company-direct acknowledgement in addition to the one Paypal automatically sends. For my own piece-of-mind and caution just to be certain they received my orders, I called and found I'm definitely on their orders list.

If the HMD's are as good as I hope they should be, I'll forgive them this time if they need my money to get them to me and if their not, well, this thread is where you'll read the reasons why.

Paul

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 381 Old 03-03-2012, 02:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 148
I mailed them with a question regarding if the cabel from the hmd to the controll box is included and it is. And regarding the hmd light blockers those are included aswell

Fast respons think i may take the chance myself n preorder one
post #33 of 381 Old 03-03-2012, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
from what i get as per their replies is
1)the current version is NOT HDMI 1.4A compliant
2)the unit does not have internal scaler to accept lower resolutions starting from VGA it will take 720p and 1080p @60Hz only (for 2D) so the device sending the output to this 'd upscale to either 720p/1080p@60hz for 2D (e.g dvd movie 720x480@60hz)
3)3D formats are full frame packing 3D 720p@60hz and 1080p@24 only
and yes they did say that they'd include a light-blocker as well - not sure if it's only bound to promotional offer only

am thinking that as soon as i get this one - they may come up with version compliant with HDMI 1.4a - still thinking ....

currently looking for z800 if i get from somewhere that will be great for around usd$500 as stop-gap till they have not upgraded to HDMI 1.4a - let's see [i know z800 is way too inferior but as a stop-gap it will just do fine for usd$500)
post #34 of 381 Old 03-03-2012, 11:33 AM
Advanced Member

I would have definitely made it clear that its possible to block out all the incoming light. Thats the first time i've heard that or thought of it as a possibility. Its also a shame they don't support the 300mhz HDMI port processor chips which would give PC gamers the ability to game at 1080p in 3D. The difference is price between the 300mhz chips and the existing ones is about 2 dollars, which i think was the retail price just for one. Had this done 1080p60 per eye 3D, this product probably would have been reviewed on hundreds of popular gaming sites. As it is i don't think it will be reviewed for that market at all. I think its a huge missed opportunity.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #35 of 381 Old 03-03-2012, 12:29 PM

Liked: 17
As far as I can tell, there is one specific BD 3D issue that this unit doesnt address in its current iteration, namely, how do you swap L/R eye inputs for thsoe titles [Rio & some other Disney ones I cant remember] that need this done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaktmestern View Post

I mailed them with a question regarding if the cabel from the hmd to the controll box is included and it is. And regarding the hmd light blockers those are included as well

What e-mail address did you use ?
post #36 of 381 Old 03-03-2012, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Contact form on they site
post #37 of 381 Old 03-04-2012, 03:36 PM

i hope they will do not meet the same fate as that of TDvisor.
TDvisor also started to accept pre-orders but later on discontinued.
it seems the SMD also has cash-flow problems so they are asking to have full payment in order to make the unit first and then ship! else what it 'd be if they only accepted credit card payment directly and with "charge the card when ship out" condition which is with most of the online MFG. store.
so i prefer to wait and watch - btw secured an eMagin z800 that will keep me company for a quite sometime - hehehe
post #38 of 381 Old 03-04-2012, 08:03 PM

Did anybody note ST1080 is "45 degrees diagonal field of view"? SONY declare HMZ-T1 has "Field of View: 45 degree" without diagonal prefix and some illustrations show the "Field of View" in HTM-T1 is level .

If all these statements are right,any geometry will tell that SONY have bigger screen for viewer.Am I right?
post #39 of 381 Old 03-04-2012, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex76 View Post

Did anybody note ST1080 is "45 degrees diagonal field of view"? SONY declare HMZ-T1 has "Field of View: 45 degree" without diagonal prefix and some illustrations show the "Field of View" in HTM-T1 is level .

If all these statements are right,any geometry will tell that SONY have bigger screen for viewer.Am I right?

yes - sony has approx 50 diagonal FOV but the design is not comfortable infact it's difficult to use for longer duration (e.g watching a movie) , also the exit pupil is small and it takes time to position it correctly [read review here or elsewhere] i hope they make the version 2 soon !

update :
-------
using the contact form i queried some concerns - guess what no response - they have stopped responding all of a sudden !
i am very suspicious of their intentions now read why ?-
1)they will start shipping after 2 months from today and yet they have PayPal as payment processor which gives you 45-day [not 60days] time to file dispute after that one is on one's own.
2)they want full payment in advance
3)their T&C agreement is really scary - one's advised to sit with a lawyer and then decide to participate or not.
4)return conditions - most absurd i have read ever !

5)on the technical side - no legacy input like VGA and no internal scaler [for lower resolutions] [sony has internal scaler but this has not] makes me nervous e.g if this unit as Monitor not recognized by PC/tablet [with hdmi out] then what will happen ?

i will rather wait for 6 months and get this from ebay/amazon reseller - much better than dealing with SMD directly.....and that after reading reviews
post #40 of 381 Old 03-14-2012, 06:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Update on this,

Dear Email Subscriber,

There is one week left for pre-ordering the ST1080 at the discounted price of $699! After March 21, the price goes back up to $799.

Sales have been very brisk, and we at SMD have been very, very encouraged by the global response. So, to all you pre-order customers, thank you!

We've been updating our product specs page for the ST1080 on our website. Some of the updates include: Earbuds are replaceable via 3.5mm mono jacks on each ear stem of the HMD
Controller now has 3.5mm stereo output jack for user's to use their own headphones
Confirmed that the HMD cable, which connects the HMD to the Controller, is integrated with the HMD
Confirmed that the head strap is included
3D formats supported: 720p/60Hz Frame Packing (full resolution), 1080p/24Hz Frame Packing (full resolution), 1080p/30Hz Top and Bottom (1920x2160), 1080p/60Hz Side by Side (half resolution)
External battery pack is not included in the base product.
Compatible with iPhone 4S (requires Apple Digital AV Adapter) and Droid X mobile phones.
Compatible with iPad 2 (requires Apple Digital AV Adapater)
We are continuing to make progress towards production ramp up, and we're excited for the market response once its in your hands. Thanks again.

Sincerely,

Paul Jin
CEO, SiliconMicroDisplay

I made 2 pre-orders on the first day, before that I sent them an email and never even recieved a reply. Also never even got an email letting me know they recieved my orders. I truly hope they are legit as thats much money to lose and I won't be happy!

3D items I own:

Sony 46" LX900 active 3D set

Sony HMZ-T3 (Cushion pads and light blocker mod)

LG LW6500 passive 3D set

PS3 & PS4

Sony BDP-S570 BD3D player

JVC-GS-TD1 (with Cyclopital base extender)

Fujifilm W3

Sony Alpha 55 (for 3D panoramic photos)

Quadcopter + Zenmuse and GoPro Hero 3 (Filming...

post #41 of 381 Old 03-14-2012, 08:15 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I made 2 pre-orders on the first day, before that I sent them an email and never even recieved a reply. Also never even got an email letting me know they recieved my orders. I truly hope they are legit as thats much money to lose and I won't be happy!

Surprised you haven't received an acknowledgement from Silicon Micro Display that your payment was received.
In the first post (March 1) on this thread I expressed my concern about not getting one, but on March 4, I finally did receive one directly from: SiliconMicroDisplay .
They thanked me for my purchase and provided the confirmation of reciept of payment through PayPal, the payment amount, payment date and gave me a Transaction ID number, which was a different ID# than the one PayPal originally sent.

Origianally posted on March 1, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul H View Post

It's obvious the company is new at the consumer sales level. It is the first company in my memory where I ordered and didn't receive an order/pre-order company-direct acknowledgement in addition to the one Paypal automatically sends. For my own piece-of-mind and caution just to be certain they received my orders, I called and found I'm definitely on their orders list.

Paul

Assumed they started sending acknowledgements to everyone. Should have posted earlier that I did finally receive one.

Paul

post #42 of 381 Old 03-14-2012, 01:43 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I'm still on the fence about ordering but at least I have until March 21st to make a decision on saving $100.
It is nice to see the revised specs include Top/Bottom and Side by Side. They had initially stated only frame packing formats would be included for 3D.
It almost seems like they are designing this on the go and adjusting /adding specs based on customer feedback.
I wonder if they will really release this in May or will it be l delayed for further tweaking?
post #43 of 381 Old 03-14-2012, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberScott View Post

I'm still on the fence about ordering but at least I have until March 21st to make a decision on saving $100.
It is nice to see the revised specs include Top/Bottom and Side by Side. They had initially stated only frame packing formats would be included for 3D.
It almost seems like they are designing this on the go and adjusting /adding specs based on customer feedback.
I wonder if they will really release this in May or will it be l delayed for further tweaking?

same is the feeling here - they are still tweaking it with specs as per feedback but will they actually ship an 'error-free' unit - that's what i am scared of! do not want to return and lose usd$125
who knows when the shipment is received it may be faulty on those listed specs ....so i prefer to wait and watch , better to worry about usd699 than usd$100 discount
post #44 of 381 Old 03-14-2012, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Very sorry guys, I did in fact recieve acknowledgement from Silicon Micro Display for my orders. It was in my other email account that I forgot was used for PayPal. DUH So they did get my payment and inform me about it.

3D items I own:

LG LW6500 passive 3D set

PS3 & PS4

Fujifilm W3

post #45 of 381 Old 03-15-2012, 11:14 AM

Does anyone know what decodes the 3D side-by-side .mkv movies?

Do we rely on a laptop, media player such as WD live, iphone 4, ipad 2/3 to do the decoding for the .mkv movies or does the controller unit of ST1080 do the decoding?
post #46 of 381 Old 03-19-2012, 06:01 PM

Silicon Micro Display added some new photes of the ST1080 to include closer views of the controller. The controller is a lot smaller than I thought it would be.

http://www.siliconmicrodisplay.com/s...e-gallery.html
post #47 of 381 Old 03-22-2012, 10:33 PM
AVS Special Member

wrong post
post #48 of 381 Old 03-28-2012, 02:18 PM

Silicon Mirco Display has added few more 3D formats and also put up a two charts showing what is supported under 2D and 3D.
http://www.siliconmicrodisplay.com/blog.html
It is starting to look better and better but still would like to see a few pre-release reviews.
post #49 of 381 Old 03-30-2012, 04:00 PM

Is 1080-60hz side by side good for gaming?
post #50 of 381 Old 04-27-2012, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

See they dropping the light blocker n adding 2 reusable .... stickers as blocking oh my
post #51 of 381 Old 04-27-2012, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

I hope not, when I ordered it said it comes with light blockers.. That's what I paid for and that's what I better get! The product should come with all they stated it comes with.

3D items I own:

LG LW6500 passive 3D set

PS3 & PS4

Fujifilm W3

post #52 of 381 Old 04-27-2012, 04:46 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I hope not, when I ordered it said it comes with light blockers.. That's what I paid for and that's what I better get! The product should come with all they stated it comes with.

IMO, Stickers are light blockers with negligible weight. It says they're reusable, so I'll reserve judgement. Just want to get the dam things!

post #53 of 381 Old 04-28-2012, 12:35 AM

Quote:

IMO, Stickers are light blockers with negligible weight. It says they're reusable, so I'll reserve judgement. Just want to get the dam things!

well - i'd not worry about the lightblockers as once the product is shipped and gets popular then 3rd party light-blockers 'd be purchased , the main thing is - How good are the panels , the optics and the 3D which is what i am worried about !

i am waiting for early reviews of st1080 before i order that. with previous exp. of HMDs [below,sony hmz excluded] - i am being wary ! so far

Headplay PCS - great image failed on optics [worst optics thinkable]

z800 3dvisor - superb optics , sub-par image

Sony HMZ-T1 - superb image but failed in optics and ergonomics[comfort], design scary as hell and to add insult to injury it's not even USB powered

st1080 - ? [wait and watch] [ if they 'd make the unit with optics & comfort like that of z800 and the image like that of headplay PCS my search for a perfect HMD will end then ]
post #54 of 381 Old 04-28-2012, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolie97 View Post

Silicon Micro Display is launching their first product, the ST1080 1080p head mounted display.

Wow, you don't say!
post #55 of 381 Old 04-28-2012, 02:11 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:

+1

My personal edumicated guess is that the "stickers" are actually made of an opaque version of the same material that some higher-end smartphone screens are covered with at the factory.

It looks like its glued on but its the type of plastic they use that lets it stick without needing an adhesive.

The only thing I would worry about is, once peeled off, putting it back on would leave air bubbles that might be visible on the inside.
Whether they would be visible once the brighter screen(s) becomes your center of attention is another matter.

Kudos to the CEO for putting out to the public that he had a pre-release issue with his sole product.
Whether he just isnt politically savvy or has a lot of confidence in the end product is yet to be seen but his attitube bodes well.

+1 on the poster at the end with the comparisions.

I, for one, am also waiting to see if this is the 3D solution for me that wont require buying another projector and I will also decide based on reviews here at AVS.

Have already gotten a hold of every single BD 3D ISO of every 3D movie released worldwide so far in anticipation of using an ST1080 with an Oppo 93
post #56 of 381 Old 05-06-2012, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter

Hey guys, SMD is getting ready to ship out the first orders of the ST1080 during the second week in May. They also detailed the light-blocker and some of the manufacturing process, check it out:

http://roadtovr.wordpress.com/2012/0...cker-detailed/
post #57 of 381 Old 05-06-2012, 09:46 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by benz145 View Post

Hey guys, SMD is getting ready to ship out the first orders of the ST1080 during the second week in May. They also detailed the light-blocker and some of the manufacturing process, check it out:

http://roadtovr.wordpress.com/2012/0...cker-detailed/

That info would be from a third party site? My records show the last official Silicon Micro Display update was on 4/27/12.

Paul

post #58 of 381 Old 05-06-2012, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

That info would be from a third party site? My records show the last official Silicon Micro Display update was on 4/27/12.

Paul

Hey Paul, you're certainly right, the official post is linked in the article and stated as the source. Full disclosure: I'm the author of the linked site. I've been following the ST1080 closely and summed up the vital info in that post, as well as added some context, and have shared it here because I know many of the people here are interested in the device, and I'm interested in the discussion happening here. I'm sure at least one AVSF member has pre-ordered the ST1080 and I'm looking forward to the first reports!
post #59 of 381 Old 05-07-2012, 08:27 AM

I pre-ordered this back in March and hope that it will ship the product soon. I just don't know when they will ship it out.
post #60 of 381 Old 05-10-2012, 08:30 AM

Liked: 11
im really intrigued by these but with what happen with notion ink and i , i think imma wait for the reviews first before pre-ordering
Reply 3D Displays

Tags
Displays , 3d Hdtv

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page