ST1080 1080p Head Mounted Display Pre-orders starting March 1st w/ $100 Discount - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 381 Old 05-10-2012, 08:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
According to their blog shipping will start on Monday. Looking forward to seeing the reviews on this - after dealing with the comfort issues with my HMZ (decided to sell it) I will be playing the waiting game on this unit to see what the reviews are.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 381 Old 05-10-2012, 09:10 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by space123321 View Post

According to their blog shipping will start on Monday. Looking forward to seeing the reviews on this - after dealing with the comfort issues with my HMZ (decided to sell it) I will be playing the waiting game on this unit to see what the reviews are.

For those that are lazy, here is the link to the blog post on the shipping.
http://www.siliconmicrodisplay.com/blog.html

Reading through the blog, pre-orders are shipped first and in the order in which they were received (As it should be). Shipping notification and tracking numbers will be provided as well.
post #63 of 381 Old 05-12-2012, 10:42 PM

I ordered mine on March 6 so I hope to be in the first batch. Let me see if I will get an email notification this week or not. Cannot wait to get mine.
post #64 of 381 Old 05-13-2012, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
I preordered early so hopefully I get both of mine soon also.

3D items I own:

Sony 46" LX900 active 3D set

Sony HMZ-T3 (Cushion pads and light blocker mod)

LG LW6500 passive 3D set

PS3 & PS4

Sony BDP-S570 BD3D player

JVC-GS-TD1 (with Cyclopital base extender)

Fujifilm W3

Sony Alpha 55 (for 3D panoramic photos)

Quadcopter + Zenmuse and GoPro Hero 3 (Filming...

post #65 of 381 Old 05-15-2012, 01:24 AM

Just got my tracking number email. I should know when it will arrive in the morning. I can't wait!
post #66 of 381 Old 05-15-2012, 01:36 AM
AVS Special Member

I haven't gotten any emails, I ordered back on March 1st. Hopefully I hear something soon. Surprised I haven't heard anything.

3D items I own:

LG LW6500 passive 3D set

PS3 & PS4

Fujifilm W3

post #67 of 381 Old 05-15-2012, 07:29 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by bravia3D View Post

I haven't gotten any emails, I ordered back on March 1st. Hopefully I hear something soon. Surprised I haven't heard anything.

Yesterday I received an email from them requesting my phone #.
Quote:

Dear customer,

This is a courtesy email for customers who ordered the ST1080.

During your PayPal payment process, the online form did not ask for you phone number.
Although a phone number is not required to ship your product, it may be helpful in the event that the shipping courier needs to contact you.

Please provide us with your phone number by replying this email.

You phone number will be used only by the shipping courier.

Thanks again for your business.

Best Regards,

SiliconMicroDisplay

Haven't received a tracking number email yet.
post #68 of 381 Old 05-15-2012, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

I got the same email yesterday. Guess it will ship soon!

3D items I own:

LG LW6500 passive 3D set

PS3 & PS4

Fujifilm W3

post #69 of 381 Old 05-15-2012, 04:30 PM

This is so exciting! Even though I didn't pre-order, I am really hoping these glasses are as good as the hype.

I can't wait for the first 'real' independent reviews and comparisons to the HMZ-T1. Good luck to all of you about to get product.
post #70 of 381 Old 05-15-2012, 10:01 PM

Just checked and mine is arriving on May 21st. Now I just need to get me some 3D blu rays on Amazon to be ready to try this bad boy to it's fullest. I also have a PS3 but I don't think I own any 3D compatable games since I use it more for movies.
post #71 of 381 Old 05-16-2012, 05:13 AM

Can't wait for some honest review/comparison with HMZ-T1.
post #72 of 381 Old 05-16-2012, 09:00 AM
AVS Club Gold

Apparently there are pretty big gaps, even for orders placed on the first day in the early morning regarding shipping the ST1080.

My personal order was placed on 3/1/12 @7:50AM Pacific time and I just received the following response to my request for an order/shipment status:
Quote:

We are building and shipping in batches to be most efficient, and we estimate that you are in our third or fourth batch. They will ship either middle or end of next week.

We are building and shipping orders from consumers as well as large volumes for distributors and companies. And as mentioned before, we are working in the order that we received the pre-orders, so there is a bit of a gap even for orders placed on March 1.

We ask for you continued patience. We are working as quickly as possible. Please let us know if we can answer any other question.

Best regards,

SiliconMicroDisplay

It would be interesting to keep track of the "batches" from those that are receiving their tracking numbers and statuses as to the Date & time and the "Time Zone" in which they placed their orders / parting with their money.

FYI: They responded very fast for my status update request.

Paul
post #73 of 381 Old 05-18-2012, 02:05 PM

A new owner of the ST1080 has posted some initial impressions.
http://the-games-veda.blogspot.com/
Looks promising.
post #74 of 381 Old 05-18-2012, 03:30 PM

Liked: 12
^^^

warning: don't even try to go to that page unless you have noscript plugin for firefox etc because it will destroy your computer with the ridiculous amount of scripts it's running
post #75 of 381 Old 05-18-2012, 05:14 PM

Well my day started with a suprise. Woke up and what do you know? I have a package with Korean letters on it next to my doorstep. I got my ST1080!! Way earlier than I expected. Haven't had much time to try it out. The only thing I could do before going to work was open it up and hold it in my hands and try it on for a minute. It feels pretty light weight and it seems to be comfortable with my glasses on.

I'll post some more impressions later night after work.
post #76 of 381 Old 05-19-2012, 05:26 AM

Liked: 18
Cant wait to here users reviews ot his xD hopefully some HMZ owners will have both and compare.
post #77 of 381 Old 05-19-2012, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

I sent them my phone number 4 days ago, asked when they will ship and not even a reply back. Last time I wrote them they never replied either. Kinda upset over that... And Korean writing? Are these damn things being sent from Korea? I thought it was from the USA.. If they are shipping from Korea why the hell couldn't they send mine to Japan like I asked?!

3D items I own:

LG LW6500 passive 3D set

PS3 & PS4

Fujifilm W3

post #78 of 381 Old 05-19-2012, 03:18 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberScott View Post

A new owner of the ST1080 has posted some initial impressions.
http://the-games-veda.blogspot.com/
Looks promising.

So the only thing you are missing is better color reproduction with this?

I would sacrifice better color for a better display overall!
post #79 of 381 Old 05-19-2012, 05:27 PM
Advanced Member

on the SMD website one person that has one made a comment that 720p material does not fill the full screen while 1080p material does. There does not appear to be any scaling for 720p material so that the full screen is used. I hope that this is a mistake and that there is a setting that will change that. It would be very shortsighted of them to not include a way to play 720p material using the full screen since all of the 3d games will have to be played at that resolution from either console or PC due to the hdmi limitations.
post #80 of 381 Old 05-19-2012, 06:48 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravia3D View Post

I sent them my phone number 4 days ago, asked when they will ship and not even a reply back. Last time I wrote them they never replied either. Kinda upset over that...

It seems that SMD is not handling customer relations very well which potentially could be detrimental if their not careful.. Would suggest you try using the contact link from their website. They responded within two hours of my questions being submitted.

Giving the response that "And as mentioned before, we are working in the order that we received the pre-orders, so there is a bit of a gap even for orders placed on March 1." ---makes it sound almost unbelievable to me because there should have been zero orders before March 1, per their own instruction rquirements. In my case, a gap had to have developed within an hour after they started taking orders in the morning on March 1st for my order to be put in the 3rd or 4th batch!????
post #81 of 381 Old 05-19-2012, 07:25 PM

Here is my take. SMD is a small company and they had stated that is was their biggest consumer based roll out they have ever done for retail product and I think they over estimated the demand.
They were changing specs and adding additional features as they went along which added to the development time. (Not incuding making whatever changes they made last minute to get UL and other ceritifications.)
SMD is filling consumer, retail and corporate supply chains at the same time, dividing the supply amongst them all as they receive new product.
I think they did the pre-orders way too early and should have waited until they had finalized the specs and started production.
I'm still looking forward to some real impessions and technical reviews and hope the delays will be worth it.
post #82 of 381 Old 05-19-2012, 10:29 PM

Waiting for product is always painful - made worse when you hear others getting theirs first.

But have patience. Clearly, they are overwhelmed with work... Getting product shipped as best they can.

Frankly, I'm not surprised things are seemingly chaos. I am surprised they're replying in any way to shipping enquiries right now. Just hang tight and trust that your place in the massive backlog will be dealt with soon.

Remember, this is new cutting-edge tech, sold direct to the switched-on few. If your glasses arrive next week, or in two weeks time... You're still the drivers to a new era in display hardware.
post #83 of 381 Old 05-20-2012, 08:59 AM

Has anyone found a review from a native english speaker? Trying to parse what game-veda's horribly annoying website is saying is near impossible. I'm guessing the color is better on the hmz-t1, but the ST1080 lighter weight makes the experience more enjoyable. However, trying to understand what all the subheader meant is an exercise in frustration.
post #84 of 381 Old 05-20-2012, 09:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Still lill on hold vs ordering one, but i do like the more ease of usage vs the sony
Perhaps during the summer ill order one
post #85 of 381 Old 05-20-2012, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Still haven't heard from them even contacting them from their site. Just hoping they come soon. I was pretty sure I preordered right after they opened it to.

3D items I own:

LG LW6500 passive 3D set

PS3 & PS4

Fujifilm W3

post #86 of 381 Old 05-21-2012, 12:45 AM

So SMD confirmed upscaling is currently unavailable, but will be introduced in firmware upgrade in a month.... which is better than nothing. I will have to wait to see how well it upscales before ordering.

Can someone explain to me what is ''full resolution top-bottom 1080p 30hz mode'' is? How is it different to frame packed 1080p 30hz and why is it used at all instead of fp if it requires the same bandwidh?
post #87 of 381 Old 05-21-2012, 04:45 AM
Advanced Member

I hope someone who has the Sony unit also can comment on how much smaller the 720p image on the ST1080 appears in comparison. If it still appears to be relatively large then it may not be too big of a deal. Although I think that the FOV on the ST1080 at full panel size is already smaller than the Sony unit so 3/4 of that might appear to be a big difference.

On the other hand a more comfortable fit and no focus issues would go a long way towards making up for the smaller screen. I still haven't read any definitive reports on whether the focus issues are all resolved though.
post #88 of 381 Old 05-21-2012, 07:59 AM
AVS Club Gold

In part 3 of The Game Veda's blog on the ST1080, which seems to be the only review(?) I'm aware of on the net, has presented the following pertinent points:
Quote:

............Today we test the field of view . screen size , scaling................

................You will not be able to see text in the corners outside whatever sweet spot deal *your eyes form with the optics of the HMD.............

..............text is far sharper on the ST1080 than the HMZT1 and you can see more of the flat desktop without blurring edges..............

...........The raw resolution of the ST1080 and its sensible design makes it a win if you ever want to do anything other than just watch 10 3d films over and over and over and over again............

..............the fov seems larger than on the HMZT1...............

..........the resolution is blinding....................

..............All reviews of such devices are therefore subjective , other than regurgitating statistics from the manufacturer every reviewer is going to have a different opinion . Simply put you have to try them for yourself . Right now the HMD is really a niche , early adopter device ,expect problems , like the first batch of HMZT1s had , par for the course but that is the price you pay to go on this journey of discovery............

post #89 of 381 Old 05-21-2012, 10:12 AM
AVS Club Gold

From the 05/15/2012 Comments link on the SMD Blog page:
Quote:
Paul Jin
05/21/2012 02:08

Everyone - Wow! For those reviewing their ST1080, thank you for posting your thoughts and experience. For those with questions, we do hear you.

Regarding shipping, all orders that we have (consumer, distributor, businesses) are all pre-paid, so the fairest thing for us to do is to handle shipments in order. The fact that the big order backlog is affecting the delivery times of even those who purchased on March 1 is undeniable. All we can tell you is that we're doing our best to ship as many units as quickly as possible. We shipped out three batches last week, and we are expecting to ship out two more this week. The number of consumer units shipped varies from batch to batch because of the consumer/distributor/business order mix.

Regarding 720p scaling, our philosophy is that content should be viewed in the same resolution as the resolution of the content format. Scaling always produces undesirable artifacts, including scaling up from 720p to 1080p. However, we do understand what you are saying. The ST1080 currently does not have the option to scale up a display format. But, we are committed to providing a firmware upgrade in about a month that will give you the option to view 720p content in scaled-up full-display mode. We still recommend viewing content in their native resolution, but we will give you the ability to select that setting................................
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Paul Jin
05/21/2012 08:24

.............We have been working on a forums section, which will go live either today or tomorrow. Thanks.

post #90 of 381 Old 05-21-2012, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
what a marketing answer about the scaling... I can't imagine anyone choosing the smaller screen over the scaled larger one.
Reply 3D Displays

Tags
Displays , 3d Hdtv

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page