ST1080 1080p Head Mounted Display Pre-orders starting March 1st w/ $100 Discount - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 381 Old 02-22-2012, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Silicon Micro Display is launching their first product, the ST1080 1080p head mounted display. They announced official pricing at $799 back in December and were planning on starting pre-orders in January, but were delayed. Now on March 1st it's finally happening.

That's the jist of it -- I've got some additional details and a new photo of the ST1080 here if you're interested.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 381 Old 02-22-2012, 10:20 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
I don't get the see through part of this device. Wouldn't that greatly limit maximum brightness or do you not see through the lens which have color emitting? I like the compactness of the device compared to the Sony, thats for sure.
post #3 of 381 Old 02-23-2012, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tory40 View Post

I don't get the see through part of this device. Wouldn't that greatly limit maximum brightness or do you not see through the lens which have color emitting? I like the compactness of the device compared to the Sony, thats for sure.

Yeah I agree, Silicon Micro Display's positioning of the device is sort of strange. It's like they want to make the product for augmented reality software, but are selling it like a regular home media device.
post #4 of 381 Old 02-23-2012, 10:24 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by benz145 View Post

Yeah I agree, Silicon Micro Display's positioning of the device is sort of strange. It's like they want to make the product for augmented reality software, but are selling it like a regular home media device.

I'm guessing a strip of black electrical tape on the front would eliminate the 10% see though if desired.

10% see through is not much anyway with augmented reality software you would still be walking into walls.

Now the real question is how well does it do 3D?
post #5 of 381 Old 02-23-2012, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitemage View Post

I'm guessing a strip of black electrical tape on the front would eliminate the 10% see though if desired.

Dont know why we dont have an official thread on this as I would love to get my hands on one but I am in Canada.

It beats the Sony unit in quite a few depts but the company doesnt have the PR that Sony does and thats whats hurting them right now.

The transparency thing getting harped on as a dealbreaker by some people, is just plain bitching and nitpicking with no technical merit.
The black tape fix was the first thought that came to mind when I first read about this months ago and fixes the problem so why bother.
Also, for those using this in darkened home theaters there will be nothing coming through anyway.

As far as its merits, from what I understand, it has the following benefits:

[1] Half the weight of the Sony unit.
[2] LCOS instead of OLED although whether thats a benefit is beyond my knowledge.
[3] Full 1080p with no SDE whatsoever as reported by people who demoed it at CES 2012.
[4] The sound can be muted or disconnected completely and the headphones look like they can be un-plugged so for people like me who are planning to use it with the sound from an existing AVR/5.1 setup, it kills the most obvious problem with the Sony unit.
[5] Much less bulkier than the Sony so no obvious need for any third-party over-the-head straps like the Sony.
[6] If you look at the CES 2012 page on the company website, they say that its biggest feature is the focus being uniform across the screen which is usually the biggest problem with this technology.
post #6 of 381 Old 02-23-2012, 02:57 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitemage View Post

10% see through is not much anyway with augmented reality software you would still be walking into walls.

I read on the sites' blog that the glasses will ship with a snap on cover that will eliminate the 10% see through.

I'm actually thinking of doing the pre-order on this due to the discount. I hope that the ST1080 will get into the hands of some reviewers prior to shipping so we can all get a better idea of the quality of the glasses and make a more informed decision on purchasing.
post #7 of 381 Old 02-23-2012, 05:15 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I received the March 1 order email and I am very tempted to throw down for it.
Anyone else??
post #8 of 381 Old 02-23-2012, 07:41 PM

I am very interested in ordering. I returned the HMZ after I gave up trying to modify it to make it not painful to wear. I am very excited that this could be what I had hoped the HMZ would be.

Does anyone know what kind of return policy is in place for this?
post #9 of 381 Old 02-24-2012, 05:43 AM
Advanced Member

I'm really interested in reading user impressions of this. Especially from those who have experience with the HMZ. I'm very happy with the results from my HMZ now that I'm no longer experiencing pain from wearing it. I replaced the stock pads with a thinner piece of padding from a cycle helmet and that seemed to do the trick. I will be really interested in hearing if the image quality is as good on the ST1080 unit. I am really curious to know wheter or not the blurry edges issue that I still have on my HMZ is present on this unit.
post #10 of 381 Old 02-25-2012, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acegamer View Post

I am really curious to know wheter or not the blurry edges issue that I still have on my HMZ is present on this unit.

Click the link here and although the whole page is interesting to read, the answer to your quoted remark can be found by scrolling down to the middle paragraph of the section called "It was all about image quality."

The one thing I dont like at all about this company is they do not know how to market AT ALL.

Some extreme closeups with a macro lens so you can see the product, and its control box, in detail would have been very nice and would have answered a lot of questions from the techie minded who can decipher drawings.

In any case, I hope this is one of those we-suck-at-marketing-but-our-product-sells-itself kinda deals.

Am sending them a bunch of questions right now so will post any answers on this thread if and when I get them.
post #11 of 381 Old 02-26-2012, 07:02 AM
Advanced Member

thanks for the link, that sounded promising. Have you found any hands on reports on the web from show attendees who got to try out the unit? Reading reports from the manufacturer are fine but I am really interested in reading 3rd party accounts of how well the unit compares to the HMZ. I am really curious about the comfort level since there doesn't appear to be anything to hold it on your head other than the side arms so you would think that it would rest on your nose and create possible discomfort after several hours. I will definitely have to keep an eye out on this one.
post #12 of 381 Old 02-26-2012, 08:05 AM

One thing discussed on their blog site is no built in support for side by side or top and bottom 3D formats. http://www.siliconmicrodisplay.com/1...he-st1080.html
post #13 of 381 Old 02-28-2012, 11:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberScott View Post

One thing discussed on their blog site is no built in support for side by side or top and bottom 3D formats. http://www.siliconmicrodisplay.com/1...he-st1080.html

That's a huge ouch.. you'd need a unit in between that could convert the side by side or top/bottom to frame packed.. If you're using a PC it would not be a problem...

Lex Luthor, Ruler of Australia, activate the machine!
post #14 of 381 Old 02-29-2012, 04:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
I already have the Sony HMZ and really enjoy it... This seems smaller and lighter, plus full 1080p. Has anyone actually gotten their hands on one of these for a test? Is the 3D good like the HMZ? I am considering one of these but wanna know more before I buy.. There is a real lack of info on their site, I want reviews of the 3D quality and how good it is!

3D items I own:

Sony 46" LX900 active 3D set

Sony HMZ-T3 (Cushion pads and light blocker mod)

LG LW6500 passive 3D set

PS3 & PS4

Sony BDP-S570 BD3D player

JVC-GS-TD1 (with Cyclopital base extender)

Fujifilm W3

Sony Alpha 55 (for 3D panoramic photos)

Quadcopter + Zenmuse and GoPro Hero 3 (Filming...

post #15 of 381 Old 02-29-2012, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Also March 1st is pre-orders.. If we pre-order when do we actually get the device?!

3D items I own:

LG LW6500 passive 3D set

PS3 & PS4

Fujifilm W3

post #16 of 381 Old 02-29-2012, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravia3D View Post

Also March 1st is pre-orders.. If we pre-order when do we actually get the device?!

They have not provided an exact date, only "Shipments to USA customers will start in early May"
http://www.siliconmicrodisplay.com/blog.html
post #17 of 381 Old 02-29-2012, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the info, well... I am in Japan but can always have it shipped to my US address

3D items I own:

LG LW6500 passive 3D set

PS3 & PS4

Fujifilm W3

post #18 of 381 Old 02-29-2012, 11:13 PM

Well the site was updated with new photos of the unit and a tiny HDMI cable you can buy on the site but it doesn't let me go any further when I click the pre-order button.

They are probably still setting up the server where the orders will be filed into.

Update: Well Just pre-ordered my unit in black! I have to caution everyone though, if you pre-order, you have pay upfront but it uses paypal to process your payment. Total was $731.50 which is with shipping.

Other Countries outside the US also get the $699 price but it's not $699=£699 as far as I know. Here is the list of countries:

•Argentina
•Australia
•Brazil
•Canada
•Chile
•China
•European Union Countries
•Iceland
• India
•Liechtenstein
•Mexico
•New Zealand
•Norway
•Russian
•Singapore
•Switzerland
post #19 of 381 Old 03-01-2012, 03:26 AM
AVS Special Member

I just made a pre-order for 2, one white and one black. I figure I could sell one here in Japan for a pretty penny and keep one for myself if I like it.

3D items I own:

LG LW6500 passive 3D set

PS3 & PS4

Fujifilm W3

post #20 of 381 Old 03-01-2012, 08:34 AM

A word of caution from what I see on the ordering page.

HMD = Head Mounted Display

In the Buy section, the retail unit does not have an HMD video cable [controller --> HMD] listed as being included and I believe this might have to be purchased separately as hinted at by the presence of a separate ordering page for just those kind of cables.

The DDK explicitly has the HMD cable listed as included but the retail unit does not.

Also, if you look at the cables they sell, there are two types listed that could possibly be valid [Type D or Type C] but they make no mention which one their HMD uses as the small port is on the HMD end.

The actual product page for the item DOES have the cable listed as included which makes it even more confusing although it would make sense.

Next up is the first official mention of the cover which is listed as being a method for removing the 10% transparency if required.
It is in the "View To The World" section on the order page for the unit.

It is then listed as an add-on option under the Display section of the Technical Specs part of that same page and I have a feeling it wont be included.

There is a review forum thread available here from someone at MTBS3D who demoed a working unit at CES 2012

There is also a video interview the same site had with SMD @ CES 2012 that can be found here
post #21 of 381 Old 03-01-2012, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

As long as it comes with everything I need to watch 3D and use the device.. I'm happy.

Anyone know of a good battery pack to use on this? Also... If you use a battery what kinda device can you use to watch movies? I know you can connect it to a PC but what about iPhone, iPad or something on the go?

3D items I own:

LG LW6500 passive 3D set

PS3 & PS4

Fujifilm W3

post #22 of 381 Old 03-01-2012, 06:50 PM

The only thing that holds me back from ordering ST1080 right now is a ridiculous return policy. I'm OK with 10 days instead of 30, but restocking fee starting from $125 for opened item sounds like a rip-off, not to mention fee for unopened item which is $25 they'll charge you for absolutely nothing.
IMO, this is way too much and too risky, especially for the product that cannot be seen/checked before purchasing. Unfortunately, I have some bad experience with that sort of return policies and for me it looks like company is not really confident about their product.
On the other hand, this HMD might be really cool, so I'm still thinking about ordering though
post #23 of 381 Old 03-01-2012, 07:05 PM
Advanced Member

I'm really looking forward to first hand reports on the quality of the unit. I'm not going to preorder because I already have the HMZ but I might pick one up if it gets better reviews than the HMZ. It would have to have a comparable image quality with no blurry edges for me to consider it. The increased resolution isn't a big deal to me because you still won't be able to use the 1080p with games and 3d bluray movies in 720p already look great.
post #24 of 381 Old 03-01-2012, 11:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soggoth View Post

The only thing that holds me back from ordering ST1080 right now is a ridiculous return policy. I'm OK with 10 days instead of 30, but restocking fee starting from $125 for opened item sounds like a rip-off, not to mention fee for unopened item which is $25 they'll charge you for absolutely nothing.
IMO, this is way too much and too risky, especially for the product that cannot be seen/checked before purchasing. Unfortunately, I have some bad experience with that sort of return policies and for me it looks like company is not really confident about their product.
On the other hand, this HMD might be really cool, so I'm still thinking about ordering though

I understand their return policy because they are a smaller company. There are truly fees associated with a return. They can't just put it back in the package and sell it to someone else. For something unopened, $25 is high.. not sure if it's related to shipping/packaging...

With all that said, as much as I understand it, it doesn't mean I like it

Lex Luthor, Ruler of Australia, activate the machine!
post #25 of 381 Old 03-02-2012, 08:19 AM

1)it' the paypal payment in full which bothers me since they will start to ship in may which is just over 45 days paypal dispute time-line and even card company will not be able to help if the order is NOT shipped in may , since they are taking payment thru paypal and not directly . like to know what u guys think?
what made them to choose paypal instead of card payment directly and that too payment in FULL ? i do not know why ? but i am nervous for now to order!

2)usually other companies what they do is to charge the card when the item ships out so that makes me jittery to order but the temptation to own a 1080p monitor is too much to resist - still thinking......

3)there is really some confusion over package contents as someone 'd mentioned already, lemme see if there clarification coming soon
post #26 of 381 Old 03-02-2012, 11:27 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikonf5 View Post

There is also a video interview the same site had with SMD @ CES 2012 that can be found here

Thanks for the link to the ST1080 hi rez pictures.

From the Side-by-Side pictures, the HMD image on the left, when fully zoomed, shows the lens-span-adjusters at different increment settings. Looks like they can be adjusted independently. Not the case with the Sony HMZ-T1 adjusters that are forced to move together as equal distance settings.

Paul

Edit: After studying the picture carefully I now see that the lens-span-adjusters have the same L&R settings. The space blends the light making an optical illusion where it looks like the left side setting in the left picture is against the wall when in fact there is the same distance as the right side setting.
Link
post #27 of 381 Old 03-02-2012, 11:47 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancjob View Post

1)it' the paypal payment in full which bothers me since they will start to ship in may which is just over 45 days paypal dispute time-line and even card company will not be able to help if the order is NOT shipped in may , since they are taking payment thru paypal and not directly . like to know what u guys think?

Paypal has a feature that I've only used once when it first came out to try it out, which is called "Bill Me Later". I think, it's like a charge card. Rather than make a direct payment up front, it gives you time. Would that be equivalent to satisfy credit card time-line disputes?

Paul
post #28 of 381 Old 03-02-2012, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul H View Post

Paypal has a feature that I've only used once when it first came out to try it out, which is called "Bill Me Later". I think, it's like a charge card. Rather than make a direct payment up front, it gives you time. Would that be equivalent to satisfy credit card time-line disputes?

Paul

I have not used the 'bill me later' ever but it's scary playing with usd$779 if it'd been usd10-20 i'd have played the gamble since SMD is a new company - if this had been from Sony, it'd have been a different story - so i am being skeptical

why so much lag in shipping - payment in full now and shipping after 2 months....- why ? were not they say'in the per-order to start from december'11 then jan'12 gone and almost closing feb'12 still a 2 month delay in shipping whereas full payment to be made rt now ?

i am jittery and believe wait and watch will be better and kiss usd$100 waiver goodbye..lol
post #29 of 381 Old 03-02-2012, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

They should have waited till the product is ready to ship, then let people order. But I went ahead and pre-ordered just so I can get my hands on one.

Not so happy they make you pay in advance though, to me it seems they need the money to even make units to sell first.

3D items I own:

LG LW6500 passive 3D set

PS3 & PS4

Fujifilm W3

post #30 of 381 Old 03-02-2012, 05:20 PM

The terms and conditions of the pre-order concern me as well. I'm not sure I like the idea of SMD holding over $700 of my cash hostage for what could be 3 months.
What I think would have been easier to accept:
1)Send out demo units for review a month before retail release to give potential buyers more information before making a purchase.
2)Start pre-orders around the same time the demo units hit the review sites and with a more reasonable deposit, say $50 to $100.
The product really looks good on paper. Now I have to decide to pre-order and save $100 or wait till release, have more information and pay more.
Reply 3D Displays

Tags
Displays , 3d Hdtv

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page