Need Help Purchasing New 3D TV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 02-23-2012, 10:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been lurking the forums for a while now,as well as doing more research for this than my schoolwork, and finally it's the time to purchase a 3D television set. I just need help figuring out a good one!

What I want:

Passive 3D
LED Screen
2D to 3D Conversion
55" or greater
$1400 or less

I've had my eye on the Toshiba 55TL515U and the LG 55LW5600, but I keep hearing negatives on both regarding lighting issues etc.

Note: I'd be using the television for watching TV shows (3D and regular,) movies (3D and regular,) and gaming (3D and regular.)

And that's about it. What Television sets would you suggest? Thank you all very much! I'm so confused right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-24-2012, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Hi fkerner, I for one don't own a 3d tv as of yet but I'm planning on it. But I definetly know that it has to be passive 3d. I find it is so much easier on my eyes and looks better. Out of the two I would go for the LG 55LW5600. Toshiba just doesn't stack up these days. I personally am waiting for how much the new LG Oled 55" is going to cost. If it cost way too much, I 'm probably going to get the new LG 55" LED LM9600 coming out soon. It is a stunning looking hdtv. Good luck on your decision.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28'sCenter Channel- Klipsch RC-52Sub - Klipsch Sub 12Surrounds - Klipsch RS-52 II (new)Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3Receiver - Onkyo RC-360HTPC - Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,3 TB,wireless WMC keyboardVideo processor - Darbee
post #3 of 13 Old 02-27-2012, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you latino,

I heard that the LGs have horrible gaming lag, which is a huge drawback for me. Is this the case?

Would anyone else recommend any other TVs? I'm unsure of Active 3D and I've heard the glasses can cause problems and are a bit bulky, but I'm open to suggestions.

I'd still like an LED-LCD HDTV with at least 1080p, little to no gaming lag, and 2D-3D conversion. Thanks again!
post #4 of 13 Old 03-04-2012, 04:35 PM

hey, i know the other guy recommended against toshibas but i hear they're the only ones that have their head in the game when it comes to gaming on a passive set. I read alot about how the tl515u toshiba has very low lag while the lg's have very high lag.

This is from research that i have done online so if someone with first hand knowledge of BOTH sets says otherwise, you should take their advice.
post #5 of 13 Old 03-04-2012, 05:19 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post

Toshiba just doesn't stack up these days. .

Really?? I first had the LG6500 and returned it for the Toshiba. Best move I ever made, The Toshiba blows the LG away.

The LG has the worse tuner I've ever seen in my life. Now remember, first and foremost it's a TV. And a TV's primary job is to bring in TV stations. Now if you have cable or satallite, that's no problem but if you don't and are relying on the TV's tuner to pull in your HD channels, DO NOT look at the LG. The tuner in this TV sucks. It only pulled in 3 to 4 channels while with the Toshiba I get around 30, yes 30 OTA HD channels. And that's just one of the many things that make Toshiba better.
post #6 of 13 Old 03-04-2012, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by fkerner View Post

Thank you latino,

I heard that the LGs have horrible gaming lag, which is a huge drawback for me. Is this the case?

Would anyone else recommend any other TVs? I'm unsure of Active 3D and I've heard the glasses can cause problems and are a bit bulky, but I'm open to suggestions.

I'd still like an LED-LCD HDTV with at least 1080p, little to no gaming lag, and 2D-3D conversion. Thanks again!

Active is just fine, and I have no gaming lag on my DLP. I prefer DLP for no ghosting (much faster pixel response than LCD or plasma), and a size that is perfect for 3D. They also have 2D to 3D conversion.

Size is the number one feature for 3D and one can get DLPs in sizes from 73"-92" with street prices around $1300-$4000, but I've seen 73" for under $1000 on sale, and under $700 on Black Friday. Dell has them on sale sometimes, starting under $1000 depending on model and features.

And I love this ad, it says it all.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

post #7 of 13 Old 03-04-2012, 10:56 PM

in my opinion the dlps are best especially because they work great with 3dvision from nvidia. However you have to remember they are bigger and heavier than your flat screen solutions and may require a bit more maintenance. Still the trade off if you have the room for it is worth it.
post #8 of 13 Old 03-05-2012, 01:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by systox View Post

in my opinion the dlps are best especially because they work great with 3dvision from nvidia. However you have to remember they are bigger and heavier than your flat screen solutions and may require a bit more maintenance. Still the trade off if you have the room for it is worth it.

Check your facts.

My 65" DLP weighs less than 75 lb., and a 65" LCD (LG Infinia 65LW6500) weighs over 100 lb, Even a 73" DLP weighs less than that at around 90 lb.

http://www.amazon.com/Mitsubishi-WD-.../dp/B004ZL2OOU

http://www.amazon.com/LG-Infinia-65L.../dp/B004OVEVOC

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

post #9 of 13 Old 03-05-2012, 06:58 PM

thats crazy my 3d plasma and led weight around 45 pounds each
post #10 of 13 Old 03-05-2012, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

thats crazy my 3d plasma and led weight around 45 pounds each

I provided links, so don't take my word for it. What size/model TVs do you have?

post #11 of 13 Old 03-05-2012, 10:19 PM

@auger I was commenting on the weight of those sets not the accuracy of your statements.

the two sets i was mentioning are the 42tl515u which comes in at 37.5 pounds and the panasonic 42st30 which ran 51.8 pounds. I also have a 42lh30 from LG which weighs 38.4 pounds. theres another set in the house which measures at 42 inches and weighs under 50 pounds, idk what panasonic model it is though.

anyhow op, if you're still reading through this, don't forget to take into consideration how much room you have wherever you plan on sticking your display. the dlp's stick out in the back about 20 inches. So all in all, if you have a sturdy base, and room for the backend of the TV i DO recommend the dlp's for their great pq in 2d and especially in 3d, don't be thrown off by the active 3d.

That being said, if you're dead set on passive, LED technology, or have limited size/weight constraints i recommend taking a look at the toshiba tl515u. The tv is great for gaming as it has (reportedly) some of the lowest input lag on passive displays of that size. Also, take into consideration that the larger the tv the more it will weigh. For example the 55 inch version of the toshiba which i listed above weighs 55 pounds. Good luck, and I hope you find a solution that works best for you.

p.s. if you are still stuck between the lg and toshiba, i think it comes down to how important gaming is to you. the lg has more input lag but better pq (so i hear). Seeing as how they both suffer from similar lighting issues, i think it would be possible to purchase one on amazon and if the light problems are really as bad as they say, then just tell amazon its defective and return it for a full refund. I'd check to see if any others had luck with that approach first though.
post #12 of 13 Old 03-06-2012, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

@auger I was commenting on the weight of those sets not the accuracy of your statements.

the two sets i was mentioning are the 42tl515u which comes in at 37.5 pounds and the panasonic 42st30 which ran 51.8 pounds. I also have a 42lh30 from LG which weighs 38.4 pounds. theres another set in the house which measures at 42 inches and weighs under 50 pounds, idk what panasonic model it is though.

anyhow op, if you're still reading through this, don't forget to take into consideration how much room you have wherever you plan on sticking your display. the dlp's stick out in the back about 20 inches. So all in all, if you have a sturdy base, and room for the backend of the TV i DO recommend the dlp's for their great pq in 2d and especially in 3d, don't be thrown off by the active 3d. ...

Well, that's what you get comparing a 42" TV to a 65" or 73" TV. It's like saying Fords weigh more than Chevys, then saying you meant toy Chevys.

As for room behind the set, a 73" DLP is less than 18" thick, and fits on a plasma or LCD TV stand with no problem (my AV receiver is deeper than a DLP).

A flat panel used, as in most homes, on a TV stand requires a base that is also 14"-18" deep just for balance. So, if you're using a TV stand and not re-wiring your room to mount it on the wall, DLP works just as well.

In fact, a DLP looks sleeker than a flat panel TV because the bezel around the screen is only about 5/8" compared to two or three inches on your typical flat panel. You can see the difference in bezels below.

Of course, a smaller flat panel is fine as well, it's up to the buyer. Size is usually the number one prerequisite for a TV though, and with 3D, screen size is everything. I chose DLP for picture quality, size, and price. It was only later that I learned that it was the best for 3D because of its superfast pixel speed and lack of ghosting or crosstalk in 3D, and that is why I recommended it.

post #13 of 13 Old 03-06-2012, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkerner View Post

I've been lurking the forums for a while now,as well as doing more research for this than my schoolwork, and finally it's the time to purchase a 3D television set. I just need help figuring out a good one!

What I want:

Passive 3D
LED Screen
2D to 3D Conversion
55" or greater
$1400 or less

I've had my eye on the Toshiba 55TL515U and the LG 55LW5600, but I keep hearing negatives on both regarding lighting issues etc.

Note: I'd be using the television for watching TV shows (3D and regular,) movies (3D and regular,) and gaming (3D and regular.)

And that's about it. What Television sets would you suggest? Thank you all very much! I'm so confused right now.

I'm not too sure about the Toshiba but the LG lw5600 is the best bang for the buck TV. Light bleeding may be an issue but it is not with all of the TVs. If your worried about lighting issues, get a LG LW6500, 47 inch. It will cost about 1600 though. If you must stay under 1400 get the LW5600. You wont find a better passive 3D TV.
Reply 3D Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page