Does anyone make a passive 3D projector? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 03-04-2012, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm thinking about putting a projector up in my home theater. Does anyone make a passive 3D (with 1080p) projector?

I really like the cheap, lightweight, easy to find "Real D" glasses that my current LG TV uses, so I want my projector (and any future 3D display purchases) to use the same glasses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-04-2012, 10:57 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Yes, but I don't have a current price point. Last year they were $15,000 and the special curved screen required was $7500 made by vutech. This year Daylite has a polar preserving flat screen that works pretty well. There is also a new front lens conversion kit that can retrofit a standard 2D projector but it is rather kludgy to set up. That technology is still in development but when commercial is said to cost about $5,000 plus the new Dalite screen. These passive projectors all look rather washed out to my eyes as well. If cost is all you are concerned about with ASG glasses, the current line of 3D ASG projectors puts out an amazingly good picture. JVC even has a 4K projector but is ASG ( Active Shutter Glasses ) I have a Sony and it's glasses are some of the most expensive but it comes with 2 pair and I bought 3 more when they were on a special sale at CompUSA for $25 each. These are rechargeable. ASG glasses is more of a concern ( IMO) for eye fatigue than cost if you buy when the sales run.
I use a passive panel in my edit room and the glasses don't make me tired. ASG will make me tired by the end of a 2 hour movie.
post #3 of 11 Old 03-04-2012, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah eye fatigue is a big concern for me. So is weight, inconvenience of needing to charge, having a hard time finding glasses (needing to order them online), and also the cost.

That sucks the passive projectors are so expensive. I guess I'll have to wait until that technology matures a bit and comes down in price.
post #4 of 11 Old 03-04-2012, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
There are several options now for passive 3D.
1. LG makes the CF3D projector that does passive 3D but a silver screen is needed. There are a punch of silver screen but Harkness makes the best from what I have read and it is reasonably affordable compared to other silver screens.

2. Do a two projector set up with filters on each projector. Depending on the filters you may or may not need a silver screen. You will also need 2 optoma 3D xl boxes to split the signal left and right projectors.

3. Tru3d sells a device that place in front of your active 3D projector and it converts the 3D to passive 3D but you will need a silver screen. How well it works I'm not sure but this is what I am interested in. If the 3D effect is just as good as the active 3D then to me it's a no brainer as you can have a projector that does great 2D (majority of my viewing) but can easily do passive 3D without the drawbacks of active glasses.

Don't get me wrong, active 3D is great on my JVC RS40 but I prefer passive for long movies and for the kids. And what the heck if I can have both active and passive (with the tru3D Polarization Modulator) then why not.
ZeGhostbear likes this.
post #5 of 11 Old 03-04-2012, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtishd View Post

2. Do a two projector set up with filters on each projector. Depending on the filters you may or may not need a silver screen. You will also need 2 optoma 3D xl boxes to split the signal left and right projectors.

Wow thanks for the info. Can you elaborate on this please? What kind of filters would I need to do this? How would I go about setting it up?
post #6 of 11 Old 03-04-2012, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowlinWolf View Post

Wow thanks for the info. Can you elaborate on this please? What kind of filters would I need to do this? How would I go about setting it up?

See this thread
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1299974

"With Liberty, HDTV and Justice for all."
Richard Adams
post #7 of 11 Old 03-04-2012, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Adams View Post

See this thread
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1299974

Perfect! Thank you very much!
post #8 of 11 Old 03-07-2012, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtishd View Post

3. Tru3d sells a device that place in front of your active 3D projector and it converts the 3D to passive 3D but you will need a silver screen. How well it works I'm not sure but this is what I am interested in. If the 3D effect is just as good as the active 3D then to me it's a no brainer as you can have a projector that does great 2D (majority of my viewing) but can easily do passive 3D without the drawbacks of active glasses.

Wouldn't making it into passive 3D cut the resolution in half?
post #9 of 11 Old 03-07-2012, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancomycin View Post

Wouldn't making it into passive 3D cut the resolution in half?

It depends on how you define resolution.

Active: You get 1080p resolution but you can only see it out of 1 eye at a time. So the total resolution is 1080p for both eyes combined, even though you can only see it out of one eye at any given moment.

Passive: You get 1/2 of 1080p resolution in each eye at all times. So you get the full 1080p resolution in both eyes combined but each eye is only seeing half of it.
post #10 of 11 Old 03-07-2012, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowlinWolf View Post

It depends on how you define resolution.

Active: You get 1080p resolution but you can only see it out of 1 eye at a time. So the total resolution is 1080p for both eyes combined, even though you can only see it out of one eye at any given moment.

Passive: You get 1/2 of 1080p resolution in each eye at all times. So you get the full 1080p resolution in both eyes combined but each eye is only seeing half of it.

O.K., instead of being technical, let me rephrase my question.

Would making it into passive 3D make the picture quality less sharp?
post #11 of 11 Old 03-07-2012, 10:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancomycin View Post

O.K., instead of being technical, let me rephrase my question.

Would making it into passive 3D make the picture quality less sharp?

No. It would be the same 1080p it was originally.
Reply 3D Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page