How many people have pre-order the ST1080 HMD ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 03-06-2012, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
In January 2012, I received my Sony HMZ-T1 HMD in about 3 days after I ordered from the Sony website store. However, I returned it after a week because it was heavy/uncomfortable and I have to constantly adjust the unit to keep the image steady and in focus.

Well, fast forward 2 months and I am ready for a new HMD gadget. I am going to pre-order the ST1080 HMD this month since it has the promotional discounted price for March.

Is anyone interested in this unit and will be pre-ordering this unit this month?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 03-06-2012, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I just made the pre-order.

This is the price:

Item total $699.00
Tax (7.250% in California): $50.68
Shipping and handling: $32.50
Total: $782.18 USD

You pay via Paypal

I wish I did not have to pay the California tax. It seems that if you live in California, you have a high chance of paying online sales tax because a lot of online vendors have location in California.
post #3 of 17 Old 03-06-2012, 09:41 AM
Advanced Member

Be sure to tell us what you think of the unit when you get it in a couple of months. I have the HMZ-T1 which I'm happy with other than having blurry corners. I'm really curious to see how well the ST1080 compares with the Sony in terms of image quality and perceived image size. I know that the Sony image is supposed to be larger but I wonder how much difference there will actually be in the perception. i have also read reports that the ST1080 has a much larger exit pupil distance so there should be a better ability to achieve the sweet spot for a completely clear image.
post #4 of 17 Old 03-06-2012, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I have the HMZ-T1 which I'm happy with other than having blurry corners

Oh, yeah, the blurry corners is another reason that I returned my HMZ-T1. Also, the 5.1 audio sound is not that great. It sounds artificial.

Anyway, I will definitely try to have some feedback once I received the unit.

I will be going on a vacation this summer so it would be cool to use it on the plane and people would look at me and thinking that I am Geordi La Forge from Star Trek
post #5 of 17 Old 03-07-2012, 10:17 PM - Thread Starter

I guess I am the only guinea pig.
post #6 of 17 Old 03-13-2012, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancomycin View Post

Oh, yeah, the blurry corners is another reason that I returned my HMZ-T1. Also, the 5.1 audio sound is not that great. It sounds artificial.

Anyway, I will definitely try to have some feedback once I received the unit.

I will be going on a vacation this summer so it would be cool to use it on the plane and people would look at me and thinking that I am Geordi La Forge from Star Trek

sony design seems so awkward horrendously bulky and ppl have confirmed that unit has low exit pupil and focusing issues which is no-no for me - seems sony totally failed in ergonomics and optics delivering a product which was a premature release with too many issues yet to be resolved as if they wanted to test the market , anyhow wanted to order st1080 but currently i have paypal issues if they get resolved bef 21st mar i will join the list of pre-order buyers

BTW - cinemizer OLED is crap with fov 30 and oled resolution of 852x500 - no where in league with st1080 and HMZ so rt now the only option being st1080 unless we see more companies stepping in - hehehe

i am managing with z800 3dvisor and headplay for now and hope st1080 will be a nice upgrade to z800...lets see
post #7 of 17 Old 03-13-2012, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
I have 2 already on pre-order the day they started taking them. Can't wait to get them.

3D items I own:

Sony 46" LX900 active 3D set

Sony HMZ-T3 (Cushion pads and light blocker mod)

LG LW6500 passive 3D set

PS3 & PS4

Sony BDP-S570 BD3D player

JVC-GS-TD1 (with Cyclopital base extender)

Fujifilm W3

Sony Alpha 55 (for 3D panoramic photos)

Quadcopter + Zenmuse and GoPro Hero 3 (Filming...

post #8 of 17 Old 03-13-2012, 10:25 PM

Liked: 11
I hope you guys get them soon, as I'm wondering if they are worth the price.
post #9 of 17 Old 03-14-2012, 12:25 AM

well the absence of 'built-in' scaler to accept lower resolutions for 2D e.g (640x480,800x600,1024x768)@60hz is really bothering me it means that when i turn the PC on i will NOT see anything on this unless windows loads fully and sends the 720p/1080p 2d signal over HDMI. that can be good enough with laptop/PCs/touchscreen win tablets with primary displays as standard/built-in computer monitors [st1080 as secondary monitor] but what about devices like blu-ray players [display-less] ,Media players [WD Western digital tv live] and the nettops like Asrock ion 3D which i have, they 'd have had the scaler just like sony HMZ has , something vital they missed , so skeptical
had it not been for the scaler - i'd have been the first one in the world to pre-order .....hehehe

(i do have acer iconia w500 win 7 HP , i can make st1080 work but i want this for asrock ion 3d -hehehe)

Sony has all that but the sheer bulky design and small exit pupil optics is no-no

i want this to be having same input specs for 2d and 3d which sony hmz has else i will wait and watch for version 2 of st1080

BTW - they are still working on SBS 3D so not sure if it's software or hardware update so waiting and watching...

so best wishes to you guys - Vancomycin , bravia3D for st1080

plz do let us have a thorough review when you get this...
post #10 of 17 Old 03-14-2012, 01:12 AM

I received a reminder email today, telling me they're a week from closing pre-orders.

Without some sort of proper independent review, detailing limitations and performance, I'm reluctant to part with the cash.

What to do.....
post #11 of 17 Old 03-15-2012, 04:13 AM

and i am in a fix - whether to get myself eMagin z800 my friend has offered [that'd be my 2nd z800] or pre-order st1080[without the scaler built-in] - 3d is the least of my priority for now so emagin z800 as a 2D monitor is fine - seems i am obsessed with z800 for it's optics and light weight

Gosh these SMD people - if they 'd add a scaler for lower 2D resolutions - i will be blowing kisses to them.....
post #12 of 17 Old 03-15-2012, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just2draw View Post

I received a reminder email today, telling me they're a week from closing pre-orders.

Without some sort of proper independent review, detailing limitations and performance, I'm reluctant to part with the cash.

What to do.....

Yeah, in the end....it all boils down to money.
post #13 of 17 Old 03-20-2012, 02:22 AM

guys! anyone who has pre-ordered st1080 , has headplay PCS also ?

i have headplay and 'd like to hear regd the color quality of st1080 with that of headplay PCS onece the st1080 ships out !

i consider st1080 as the upgrade from headplay , provided colors are rich and huge exit pupil so i will wait to hear
post #14 of 17 Old 03-20-2012, 11:40 PM

Liked: 11
in term of color i dont thinks it can beat the sony hmz which is currently the best visual i see that comes close to AMOLED that uses on samsung phone and once u modify the sony hmz properly it is a perfect head display monitor for me which i hope sony comes out 1080p version and a proper head fit which does not need modification.
post #15 of 17 Old 03-21-2012, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squall12 View Post

in term of color i dont thinks it can beat the sony hmz which is currently the best visual i see that comes close to AMOLED that uses on samsung phone and once u modify the sony hmz properly it is a perfect head display monitor for me which i hope sony comes out 1080p version and a proper head fit which does not need modification.

ah! oleds have one issue which i encountered in z800 that i see pixel scattered about and image looks somewhat fuzzy as if behind the pixel mesh so the skin tones/textures etc are not noticeable so i do not like OLEDs if st1080 as natural upgrade works well then i will sell both my headplay and z800
i mostly use headplay for it's rich colors [LCoS]
so my analysis:

z800 - fabulous optics , below average image quality and contrast not good

Headplay - image q is like watching a real LCD ,superb colors and worst optics [small exit pupil and highly reflective screen]

Since st1080 uses LCoS same as headplay so i consider it an upgrade from headplay but my skepticism - will the st1080 have the same or better colors than headplay ? which the time only will tell....

SMD 's Paypal payment method [will ship after 2 months] , development still continuing , no accessories yet (except HDMI cables) cables makes me wanna wait for the final product with reviews and accessories available!

hence skipped the pre-order offer

i will wait for the reviews from the guys who 'd get it in may
best of luck to them

BTW - squall12 thanks for the info - once the prices come down i will buy HMZ also - it's selling on premium even the used ones usd$1000+ which is insane , may be by the time i try for HMZ a new version of that will be announced - hehehe
post #16 of 17 Old 04-10-2012, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Next month this thing ships. I am hoping it is good!

3D items I own:

Sony 46" LX900 active 3D set

Sony HMZ-T3 (Cushion pads and light blocker mod)

LG LW6500 passive 3D set

PS3 & PS4

Sony BDP-S570 BD3D player

JVC-GS-TD1 (with Cyclopital base extender)

Fujifilm W3

Sony Alpha 55 (for 3D panoramic photos)

Quadcopter + Zenmuse and GoPro Hero 3 (Filming...

post #17 of 17 Old 04-14-2012, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravia3D View Post

Next month this thing ships. I am hoping it is good!

good luck pal !
i will order only when reviews are there and the accessories are ready to order [full-on lightshield , battery pack etc] to save on shipping
they charge a lot to ship to my country.

as of now -been checking regularly their blog - it's disappointing to note that 2D formats are very limited and no 'VGA-friendly' formats being supported [480i/p,800x600,1024x768 - @60hz] as on date !
i guess i need to purchase VGA to HDMI with scaler for my VGA-laptop to use this as monitor replacement [Atlona AT-HDVIEW VGA to HDMI Scaler Up to 1080p/60Hz ,usb powered]

those looking to use this as monitor replacement might find above useful! there may be aspect ratio issues to sort out while using the above !
Reply 3D Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page