What do i need for 3D? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 03-07-2012, 11:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello guys i have a friend of mine who has a Mitsubishi DLP WD-73735 TV.
It says it's 3D ready. I have read so much and learned a lot however i am still unclear and now i just learn more terms and it's overwhelming confusing.

What kind of Glasses will he need? What 3D blue Ray player does he need?
3d blue player is all he needs correct? Plus the glasses? to watch 3d content?

Sorry i am just confused and i have a headache i think im going to bed too much reading today.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-08-2012, 02:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1neji View Post

Hello guys i have a friend of mine who has a Mitsubishi DLP WD-73735 TV.
It says it's 3D ready. I have read so much and learned a lot however i am still unclear and now i just learn more terms and it's overwhelming confusing.

What kind of Glasses will he need? What 3D blue Ray player does he need?
3d blue player is all he needs correct? Plus the glasses? to watch 3d content?

Sorry i am just confused and i have a headache i think im going to bed too much reading today.

1. Glasses

He can get A. IR (infrared) or B. DLP-Link glasses.

A. If he gets IR glasses, he will need the matching emitter (not the same as the 3D adapter, see below). The emitter plugs into the back of the TV, and synchronizes the IR glasses with the 3D picture.

B. If he gets DLP-Link glasses, he won't need an IR emitter, as DLP-Link uses a synchronization flash built into the TV's picture.

I recommend DLP-Link glasses for that model TV, as the DLP-Link flash is on all the time (in 3D mode), and is reported to reduce the quality of the picture as seen through IR glasses.

2. 3D BluRay player / 3D source

The TV displays 3D in the Checkerboard format, which is not part of the new 3D specification, so;

A. He can get a 3D Bluray player that outputs in Checkerboard (only a few brands/models do). Downside to this is that he won't be able to watch 3D from a PS3 (games and movies) or from a cable or dish provider.

B. He can get the Mitsubishi 3DA-1 3D adapter (about $99, and not the same thing as the emitter) which converts all of the new 3D formats to Checkerboard so that the TV can display them. He can then get any brand of 3D Bluray player, and also view 3D from other sources, such as PS3, cable or dish, as mentioned above. Downside is the adapter may no longer be readily available, and the price has skyrocketed.

C. He can buy the Mitsubishi 3DC-1000 Starter Pack ($399) which comes with the 3D adapter mentioned above, plus two pairs of IR glasses, and the IR emitter. (Not recommended because of the DLP Link flash mentioned previously)

D. He can buy a new DLP TV, which doesn't need the adapter. I'll assume this is out of the question.

I'd recommend getting the Mitsubishi adapter and a 3D Bluray player, so that he can watch all 3D sources he may have now or have in the future. The problem, as mentioned before, is the adapter may no longer be readily available, and the price has skyrocketed. I'd imagine one could be found on eBay, however.

Summary

I'd recommend DLP-Link glasses, the 3D adapter, and a 3DBluray player. BTW, If he already has a PS3, he won't need a 3D Bluray player, as it will play 3D Blurays. He would still need the 3D adapter, however.

He can start out slowly with just the DLP-Link glasses and 3DBluray player IF the player has Checkerboard output, adding the adapter later, when he wants to explore 3D games, cable, or dish.

Links

3D Bluray player with Checkerboard output. (not a brand recommendation, just an example. I believe Samsung also has one)
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMP-.../dp/B004LNFJCQ

Mitsubishi 3DA-1 3D Adapter (a rip off price of $299 for a $99 item)
http://www.amazon.com/Mitsubishi-3DA.../dp/B003S3RKZ4

Mitsubishi 3DC-1000 3D HDTV Starter Pack (includes Mitsubishi 3DA-1 3D Adapter)
http://www.amazon.com/Mitsubishi-3DC.../dp/B003KTN0B4

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

post #3 of 9 Old 03-08-2012, 03:53 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Wow, those 3DA-1 prices went through the roof!! I'm glad I bought mine when I did, even though I thought it was iffy at the time.
post #4 of 9 Old 03-08-2012, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much, very well anc learly explain straight and simple.
Quote:

The TV displays 3D in the Checkerboard format, which is not part of the new 3D specification, so;

A. He can get a 3D Bluray player that outputs in Checkerboard (only a few brands/models do). Downside to this is that he won't be able to watch 3D from a PS3 (games and movies) or from a cable or dish provider.

B. He can get the Mitsubishi 3DA-1 3D adapter (about $99, and not the same thing as the emitter) which converts all of the new 3D formats to Checkerboard so that the TV can display them. He can then get any brand of 3D Bluray player, and also view 3D from other sources, such as PS3, cable or dish, as mentioned above. Downside is the adapter may no longer be readily available, and the price has skyrocketed.

C. He can buy the Mitsubishi 3DC-1000 Starter Pack ($399) which comes with the 3D adapter mentioned above, plus two pairs of IR glasses, and the IR emitter. (Not recommended because of the DLP Link flash mentioned previously)

With option B would he be able to see all the Blue Ray movies on sale? What are the downsides?

I couldnt find the adapter on ebay... he just moved out so i dont think he will be able to afford wasting 300 bucks for an adapter...
post #5 of 9 Old 03-08-2012, 02:35 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

With option B would he be able to see all the Blue Ray movies on sale? What are the downsides?

I couldnt find the adapter on ebay... he just moved out so i dont think he will be able to afford wasting 300 bucks for an adapter...

http://www.electronichouse.com/artic..._displays/C175

I looked it up on amazon, it's 150.00. But like the above poster said, only will work for bluray movies, and it should work for all of em.

If you want to game in 3D, or have a ps3 that you can use for movies and 3D games saving up for the adapter might be better. If you use torrent programs to download movies you would need the adapter since most are side-by-side, top-bottom, or iso files which are frame pack (I think?).

If you ONLY want to see 3D with blu ray discs then just get a player that outputs 3D checkerboard.

post #6 of 9 Old 03-09-2012, 06:18 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Amazon.com hasthe Panasonic 220 and 320 3D Blu-Ray Disc players for sale.
post #7 of 9 Old 03-09-2012, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

With option B would he be able to see all the Blue Ray movies on sale? What are the downsides?...

I am assuming you meant Option A. not B., as you emphasized that text.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyen78 View Post

...If you ONLY want to see 3D with blu ray discs then just get a player that outputs 3D checkerboard.

Agreed. All 3DBluray™ discs should play just fine. That will get him started, and he can keep an eye open for the adapter to use for other sources.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

post #8 of 9 Old 03-09-2012, 11:36 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys,
Panasonic BDT300 is that the only blueray player i can buy?

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMP-...1361293&sr=8-1
post #9 of 9 Old 03-10-2012, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks guys,
Panasonic BDT300 is that the only blueray player i can buy?

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMP-...1361293&sr=8-1

No, that's not what we said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post

...A. He can get a 3D Bluray player that outputs in Checkerboard (only a few brands/models do). Downside to this is that he won't be able to watch 3D from a PS3 (games and movies) or from a cable or dish provider...

... Links

3D Bluray player with Checkerboard output. (not a brand recommendation, just an example. I believe Samsung also has one)
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMP-.../dp/B004LNFJCQ ...

There are other (cheaper) models of Panasonic (as other posters have also shown), and I believe Samsung has some as well. Shop around and compare.

Reply 3D Displays