DLP 3D question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 03-11-2012, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Mits WD65833 which is apparently 3D ready. I was not aware of this until a few days ago. I didn't purchase the set. I acquired it when its owner moved and couldn't take it with him. I was looking at upgrading to a 3D set next year when my son will be a little older and can appreciate it more. Basically I'm wondering what the 3D experience is like with this set. Is it worth it to buy the adapter and everything I'll need or will it be a disappointment and turn out to be a waste of money. I don't have much experience with 3D. The only home viewing I've ever done was on a newer Samsung LED/LCD and it was nice. I have no issues with this set at all. I just replaced the OEM lamp and its like a brand new TV. If the 3D on it is OK I'll probably end up sticking with it until it dies or when I can get a bigger set. Any help is greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-11-2012, 04:42 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
It's not bad at all. There is no way to turn off the DLP Link on the set, so you might as well go with those style of glasses. If you plan on using an adapter with that series, you need to be sure the firmware is up to date or it can become very frustrating.
post #3 of 10 Old 03-11-2012, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. I read that the dlp link glasses have more sync problems than the other ones. I plan on doing plenty of research before I purchase anything though. I just really wanted to know if it was even worth the time and effort if the 3D quality wasn't very good. Wish I knew it was 3D capable before now. Time to start reading some more. Thanks again.
post #4 of 10 Old 03-11-2012, 07:38 PM

The green tint is a bit strong on my old set in 3D mode caused by the dlp link I'm guessing, so I suggest you get choose your glasses accordingly. The topic was beaten to death a while ago, and it still pops up from time to time. Good luck, and have fun!
post #5 of 10 Old 03-11-2012, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
The sync non-issue is funny to read about, mostly speculation from folks that don't use DLP. The ghosting or cross-talk is a much bigger issue with non DLP sets. The Viewsonic PDG-150 glasses have an Invert switch on them if the remote is not convenient enough ha ha and I rarely have to use the switch. Mine are about 1.5 years old and have never had a problem.
post #6 of 10 Old 03-12-2012, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Smith View Post

Thanks for the reply. I read that the dlp link glasses have more sync problems than the other ones. I plan on doing plenty of research before I purchase anything though. I just really wanted to know if it was even worth the time and effort if the 3D quality wasn't very good. Wish I knew it was 3D capable before now. Time to start reading some more. Thanks again.

There are a slew of Chinese made DLP-Link glasses out there, and people buy them trying to save money, then slam DLP-Link in general. I have XpanD X102s, and haven't had any sync problems. Others have used other name brands, again with little to no problems. YMMV.

That being said, you can get in for under $50 with the Chinese glasses to see what you think of 3D, then upgrade later, if you want.

More discussion here. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1296909 here http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1285791 and here http://www.dlp.com/projector/dlp-inn.../dlp-link.aspx

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

post #7 of 10 Old 03-12-2012, 02:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
102's are defiently nice. The range on DLP link can be effected by room reflections. But with this display? You don't have a choice, reports are that the PQ is poor without dlp link glasses because you can't turn it off on these older Mitsu's.

3D performance is excellent on these displays no doubt. 2D ain't none to shabby either as you probably already know becuase you have been using it.
post #8 of 10 Old 03-12-2012, 03:48 PM

I own the 3D heaven glasses that Augerhandle mentioned, and I thought I should mention a slight design flaw in that the signal receiver is very close to the arm. Well.... actually the design flaw are my dining habits to be honest. If you randomly lose sync the culprit my well be a greasy fingerprint smear from buttered popcorn, pizza, nachos, buffalo wings and such.
post #9 of 10 Old 03-13-2012, 03:55 AM

I'm surprised nobody mentioned it yet, but the old Mitsubishi dlp tv's made very nice big screen 3DVision PC monitors if you are interested in that sort of thing. High resolution gaming with no ghosting, crosstalk or input lag is great.
post #10 of 10 Old 03-13-2012, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkor View Post

I'm surprised nobody mentioned it yet, but the old Mitsubishi dlp tv's made very nice big screen 3DVision PC monitors if you are interested in that sort of thing. High resolution gaming with no ghosting, crosstalk or input lag is great.

Good to know. I just built a high-end HTPC that can handle some heavy gaming.

Thanks for all the info guys. I really appreciate it.
Reply 3D Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page