Largest Passive 3D? - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 03-14-2012, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 29
My friend's 70" Sony LCD has puked, and he wants to get a 70" or larger passive 3D TV. Are there passive 3D sets available at 70" or larger?

When in doubt, do the right thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-14-2012, 02:38 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I think the largest is 65" right now, but LG has announced a 72" and an 84" OLED. I don't think there is a firm date as to when they will be available this year. Some speculate that given LG's past history, they may not be released despite being announced.
post #3 of 12 Old 03-14-2012, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by THe_Flash View Post

I think the largest is 65" right now, but LG has announced a 72" and an 84" OLED. I don't think there is a firm date as to when they will be available this year. Some speculate that given LG's past history, they may not be released despite being announced.

Eh, not so fast:

Sharp LC-70LE735U 70-inch Internet Ready LED TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazon.com Product Description View Post

With the introduction of the 70" Class (69.5" Diagonal) LC-70LE735U, Sharp once again reinforces its leadership in LCD and 3D LED technology. Sharp's proprietary quad pixel technology adds a fourth color, yellow, to the traditional RGB pixel format, enabling many colors to be displayed for the first time. Featuring more colors than any other television, see never-before-seen colors like sparkling golds, Caribbean blues and sunflower yellows. On the LC-70LE735U, this technology is enhanced further with Quad Pixel Plus, which produces smoother lines by enabling the individual control of all 8-million sub-pixels on the screen. The proprietary AQUOS 3D LED system comprised of the X-Gen LCD panel and UltraBrilliant LED backlight enables an incredible dynamic contrast ratio of 6,000,000:1 for excellent picture quality. AquoMotion 240 virtually eliminates blur and motion artifacts in fast-moving video. The LC-70LE735U features Smart TV, including the addition of Vudu apps, Netflix streaming video1, CinemaNow capability, along with the industry's leading online support system, AQUOS Advantagesm Live. And, with built-in WiFi, connectivity is easier than ever. Dual USB media players for portable video/music player are also included for your convenience.

Then again, I'm not sure if Sharp is passive or active with their approach to 3D TVs. I'm pretty sure that this one could be something to see. Then again, you got this model:

Sharp Aquos LC-70LE745U 70-inch 3D and Wifi LED TV

There's a reason why Sharp's one of the better known flat-panel television names around for larger sized TVs.
Now I know that there are some Sharp Elite models in the 70" range, too, but not sure what type of budget you're looking at, but the Elites are far better...especially since they are full array locally-dimmed LEDs.
Like I said, not sure if Sharp's in the passive 3D market, but for the moment, they are one of the only brands with 70"+ 3D TVs in general that I can think of.

Living Room: Samsung UN46A750 46" ToC 1080p, Yamaha HTC-6160 AV Receiver, JBL Cinema 480 5.1 Speakers, Magnavox HDD/DVD Recorder, Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HD.
Master Bedroom: Sony KDL-55W950B 55" 1080p, Sony HT-XT1 Soundbar, Xbox One, Scientific Atlanta 8300HD
Basement: Toshiba 32TL515U 32" 1080p 3DTV, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Bose Companion II Series 2 2.1 Speakers, Panasonic DMR-EZ28 DVD Recorder
post #4 of 12 Old 03-14-2012, 06:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Sharp has been all active sets so far. The biggest passive sets are the 65" from LG and Vizio. Those are followed by 55" sets from LG, Vizio, and Toshiba. Sony and Panasonic are set to release passive sets over the next year or so but those should be 55".

Xbox Live gamertag: Ikari Warrior
Playstation Network ID: IkariWarrior
post #5 of 12 Old 03-15-2012, 08:17 AM
Advanced Member

Yep. I probably would have bit on a Sharp by now if they had a passive set. I don't think any of the 2012's are expected to go that route either. As Ikari mentioned, its LG or Vizio at this point.
post #6 of 12 Old 03-15-2012, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Thanks folks. Yes, Sharp's 3D TVs are very sharp, but they're all active 3D as of now. I've also read that Sharp will offer an 80" 3D later this year, and that massive screen might convince my buddy to go with active 3D vs passive.

When in doubt, do the right thing.
post #7 of 12 Old 03-15-2012, 11:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by THe_Flash View Post

The only OLED screen is 55". The 72" and 84" models are LED LCD with the 84" being a 4K resolution model.
post #8 of 12 Old 03-15-2012, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Of course Toshiba's big in the passive 3D market, too, I have recently picked up a 32" passive display, so I'm guessing that Toshy might be going big with new sets, I'll look at their lineup and see what their largest sizes are going to be...

EDIT: Dang, it's only going up to 55" with theirs. Hopefully the L7200 Series will improve significantly over the TL515 Series like I got.
Now I think that having passive 3D with full-array local dimming would be perfect. Most passive displays are edge-lit with some local dimming, and to me, that just didn't seem to cut the mustard as much as I thought it would.
My set's okay, tho, it'll get the job done to a point (just glad it's not my main set, tho, I'm still holding onto my Sammy 46" A750 until I can grab at least a 55" LED 3D in the not too distant future).

Living Room: Samsung UN46A750 46" ToC 1080p, Yamaha HTC-6160 AV Receiver, JBL Cinema 480 5.1 Speakers, Magnavox HDD/DVD Recorder, Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HD.
Master Bedroom: Sony KDL-55W950B 55" 1080p, Sony HT-XT1 Soundbar, Xbox One, Scientific Atlanta 8300HD
Basement: Toshiba 32TL515U 32" 1080p 3DTV, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Bose Companion II Series 2 2.1 Speakers, Panasonic DMR-EZ28 DVD Recorder
post #9 of 12 Old 03-15-2012, 02:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSTNFAN View Post

The only OLED screen is 55". The 72" and 84" models are LED LCD with the 84" being a 4K resolution model.

Correct. The 4K 84" is the spec I was trying to highlight. The 72" just seems like a misfit, as it doesn't look like any of the other sets in any of their series.
post #10 of 12 Old 03-15-2012, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8IronBob View Post

...Like I said, not sure if Sharp's in the passive 3D market, but for the moment, they are one of the only brands with 70"+ 3D TVs in general that I can think of.

The other being Mitsubishi, who has had 73" and 82" 3D TVs for years, and now also has a 92" model. Though they use active glasses, one could pick up the 82" for under two thousand dollars.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

post #11 of 12 Old 03-15-2012, 04:35 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 26
If Mitsubishi came out with a big screen passive it would be as cool as a laser beam with a shark on its head.
post #12 of 12 Old 03-16-2012, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkor View Post

If Mitsubishi came out with a big screen passive it would be as cool as a laser beam with a shark on its head.

Or a shark with a laser on its head.

I read here in the forums recently of a passive conversion kit under development. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post21756230

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page