Viewsonic V3D231 23" Passive 3D 2ms LED/LCD Monitor - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 03-24-2012, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Viewsonic has a new 23" passive interleaved display, V3D231 with a 2ms response time. I have owned a pair of these for a week now -- http://www.amazon.com/ViewSonic-V3D2.../dp/B005LFQVUC. There's not a lot of information online about them, and no owners on the forum that I know of, so I'll be happy to answer any questions about this display. I don't have a LG D2342P-PN to compare it to unfortunately, although I suspect it is in some ways a better display.

2D: It's LED and very, very bright. You can enable ECO mode to lower brightness and conserve power. It has vivid color and a sharp picture, although the contrast ratio could be better. A 2ms response time is available in the menu (not the default). It's also 60hz, while 120hz is not needed, it would be nice. There are some color distortions when you view it at sharp angles, due to the technology used. Overall I think it looks fantastic, way better than the displays I replaced and also better than both the ones I use at work.

3D: It uses passive interleave, I'm not going to debate the pros and cons other than giving some specifics -- it's 1920x540 to each eye and has 12 degree vertical viewing angle. There is some aliasing while gaming, I haven't noticed it in movies. There is good bit of crosstalk in some high contrast situations, which can be distracting in certain titles while it's negligible in others: neon lights in Portal, certain things when I was running the SW:TOR trial were distracting enough for me to remember (and yet I still played Portal all the way through and used it on SW:TOR through the whole trial ...the inconsistent rendering in SW:TOR is really much more distracting than the crosstalk). I don't have a copy of Tron in 3D, so I can't report on it. Other games and movies have looked fantastic: POTC 4, Fright Night, Harold and Kumar, Starcraft 2 and Half-Life 2.

Glasses: There are 2 pairs of glasses -- the standard pair are a bit cheap feeling, have overly large frames and thin, flimsy lenses. They also include a pair of clip-ons and these are of much better quality. I also tried a pair of Ingri Dahl glasses on them and they worked fine, except for a very subtle purple in the brightest ghosting using these ... I don't have any other glasses to test with at the moment.

I also intend to run 3 of these and I am going to hack together a solution for running 3D in portrait mode, which is possible with passive monitors, so I will be posting a separate thread on that.
Reply 3D Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page