Need Advice...$2,000 Budget - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > 3D Central > 3D Displays > Need Advice...$2,000 Budget

3D Displays

Eijmaster's Avatar Eijmaster
04:52 PM Liked: 10
post #1 of 14
03-28-2012 | Posts: 21
Joined: Apr 2010
Hey guys. I'm looking into getting a new tv coming from a Samsung PN63c8000 (cracked screen, don't ask lol). I want to stay within the same size (60"-65", most likely 65") and my budget is no more than $2,000 max. That means $2,100 is too much. So far from amazon which is where i want buy it I've found:

Panasonic:
65": GT30 $2,000(This could be the winner)
ST30 $1,700 (would be nice to save some $$$)
60": ST50 $2,000? (not out till June?) (VT=55" & 65" only)

Samsung:
64": D550 $2,000 (not worth it?)

60": E6500 $1,900 (tempting but very little reviews and smaller)

To me these are the best/biggest for under 2k. Those are the only two brands I will consider. I have no clue what will be the best choice at this point. If i lower to 60" i will gain a better/newer tv and only lose 3". If I raise it to 65" I will only gain 2" and get a older but still great tv? I'll appreciate any opinions thanx in advanced. BTW I've been without a tv for a month and waiting for a deal/newer tv is not really an option lol. Also seated my eyes are about 11.5 ft. away from the screen. Actually Samsungs crappy cust service is leaning me toward Panasonic too.
Eijmaster's Avatar Eijmaster
03:56 PM Liked: 10
post #2 of 14
03-31-2012 | Posts: 21
Joined: Apr 2010
Bump*
Augerhandle's Avatar Augerhandle
04:05 PM Liked: 73
post #3 of 14
03-31-2012 | Posts: 2,706
Joined: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eijmaster View Post

...Those are the only two brands I will consider...


"Well, there's your problem." Why limit your options?

Some people would say other brands, sizes, or TV types would be better. Most people will reply to get the TV they have, as it was right for them. (I would highly recommend Mitsubishi DLP. One can get an 82" within your budget if one shops around, and a 73" for around 1/2 to 2/3 of your budget).

What matters is what you want. How and where is is the TV being used? What content, and how often? etc.

There is no right answer.
Eijmaster's Avatar Eijmaster
08:55 PM Liked: 10
post #4 of 14
03-31-2012 | Posts: 21
Joined: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post

"Well, there's your problem." Why limit your options?

Some people would say other brands, sizes, or TV types would be better. Most people will reply to get the TV they have, as it was right for them. (I would highly recommend Mitsubishi DLP. One can get an 82" within your budget if one shops around, and a 73" for around 1/2 to 2/3 of your budget).

What matters is what you want. How and where is is the TV being used? What content, and how often? etc.

There is no right answer.

I know that's why I would like opinions on which of the sets would be a better choice overall. Most people who have knowledge or own the sets can definitely give some input. I know if I choose one of them I will have a great tv no matter what, but its always good to get 2nd, 3rd opinions.
wonka702's Avatar wonka702
02:20 AM Liked: 11
post #5 of 14
04-01-2012 | Posts: 282
Joined: Feb 2012
For $2000 I say you either drop 3d, go DLP as Augerhandle put it (use the savings to buy a spare bulb if you go this route) or drop to a 55" LG Cinema 120hz 3d for $1499.99 on Amazon. The 5 inches you lose shouldn't be too noticeable and with the $500 you save you can buy someone you love a nice gift.
PGTweed's Avatar PGTweed
09:26 AM Liked: 23
post #6 of 14
04-01-2012 | Posts: 185
Joined: Oct 2011
If you plan to buy from Amazon.com don't forget to factor in Shipping&Handling plus taxes in the price of your TV. Your $2,000.00 budget limit is likely to go past your $2,000.00 budget. ($2,100-$2,200 price range.)
Augerhandle's Avatar Augerhandle
12:13 PM Liked: 73
post #7 of 14
04-01-2012 | Posts: 2,706
Joined: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonka702 View Post

For $2000 I say you either drop 3d, go DLP as Augerhandle put it (use the savings to buy a spare bulb if you go this route) or drop to a 55" LG Cinema 120hz 3d for $1499.99 on Amazon. The 5 inches you lose shouldn't be too noticeable and with the $500 you save you can buy someone you love a nice gift.

My DLP lamp lasted over two years (5,032 hrs), cost $99 and took only 3 minutes to replace. A ten year old could do it. The original started to dim slightly, so I replaced it before it went out and I kept it as a spare.

You have plenty of time before getting a new lamp, and they have a one year warranty, so it's pointless to buy one up front, as the warranty would expire before you ever get to use it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGTweed View Post

If you plan to buy from Amazon.com don't forget to factor in Shipping&Handling plus taxes in the price of your TV. Your $2,000.00 budget limit is likely to go past your $2,000.00 budget. ($2,100-$2,200 price range.)

What? Most TVs on amazon come with free shipping, and I believe you only get charged tax if you live in the state of Washington.

For example, right now, Amazon has a 73" for under $1300, with free shipping. http://www.amazon.com/Mitsubishi-WD-.../dp/B004ZL2OOU The 83" is still less than the OPs budget, with the same free shipping. http://www.amazon.com/Mitsubishi-WD-82740-82-Inch-1080p-Projection/dp/B004ZL2OAO Walts.com has pretty good prices and includes shipping as well.

Shop around.
PGTweed's Avatar PGTweed
02:25 PM Liked: 23
post #8 of 14
04-01-2012 | Posts: 185
Joined: Oct 2011
The free shipping at Amazon.com does not apply to all electronics. Only the electronics from Amazon. I found out with several pieces of electronic equipment I bought on Amazon I was supposed to get free shipping, I didn't!
Augerhandle's Avatar Augerhandle
03:07 PM Liked: 73
post #9 of 14
04-01-2012 | Posts: 2,706
Joined: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGTweed View Post

The free shipping at Amazon.com does not apply to all electronics. Only the electronics from Amazon. I found out with several pieces of electronic equipment I bought on Amazon I was supposed to get free shipping, I didn't!

Sorry to hear that. While some products by other vendors do indeed charge shipping, it is plainly displayed on the product page
Quote:


& this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping.

and it is displayed again at checkout, so you have at least two chances to note any shipping charges. If you were supposed to get free shipping, you would have. You also get the option for faster shipping (at an additional charge) before you check out. Perhaps you should read more carefully when making a purchase.
Eijmaster's Avatar Eijmaster
06:55 PM Liked: 10
post #10 of 14
04-01-2012 | Posts: 21
Joined: Apr 2010
wow! cool deal with dlp's and thanx for the tips guys but im definintely staying with plasmas. I know i could save and increase the tv size with dlp but hanging the tv on the wall is a must cuz i have a 2 yr old and the pq is just amazing with plasmas. thanx again guys!
Augerhandle's Avatar Augerhandle
12:12 AM Liked: 73
post #11 of 14
04-02-2012 | Posts: 2,706
Joined: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eijmaster View Post

wow! cool deal with dlp's and thanx for the tips guys but im definintely staying with plasmas. I know i could save and increase the tv size with dlp but hanging the tv on the wall is a must cuz i have a 2 yr old and the pq is just amazing with plasmas. thanx again guys!

Ah yes, the wall. Whatever did people do with their children those few short years ago, when all TVs sat on stands close to the floor?

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Have fun with your plasma. Which one did you get?
wonka702's Avatar wonka702
02:10 AM Liked: 11
post #12 of 14
04-02-2012 | Posts: 282
Joined: Feb 2012
I have a plasma and an LCD and while you are dead set on getting plasma, you obviously haven't researched the advantages of led or lcd. They too offer a fine picture quality, not saying your choice in plasma is bad, just saying that most people would have said to go plasma 6 years ago, but today, other technologies offer advantages over plasma.
PGTweed's Avatar PGTweed
09:43 AM Liked: 23
post #13 of 14
04-02-2012 | Posts: 185
Joined: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post

Sorry to hear that. While some products by other vendors do indeed charge shipping, it is plainly displayed on the product page and it is displayed again at checkout, so you have at least two chances to note any shipping charges. If you were supposed to get free shipping, you would have. You also get the option for faster shipping (at an additional charge) before you check out. Perhaps you should read more carefully when making a purchase.

As i said earlier, NOT ALWAYS! I still had to pay shipping and handling charges even after choosing the free shipping option!(I didn't choose the faster shipping option) If Free shipping is displayed on the product page and at checkout is no guarantee you will get free shipping. Sometimes, Amazon requires you to buy additional items to be eligible for free shipping. I read the fine print of Amazon's Free Shipping. Amazon is a good company, prices far cheaper than Walmart.
Augerhandle's Avatar Augerhandle
12:49 PM Liked: 73
post #14 of 14
04-02-2012 | Posts: 2,706
Joined: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGTweed View Post

As i said earlier, NOT ALWAYS! I still had to pay shipping and handling charges even after choosing the free shipping option!(I didn't choose the faster shipping option) If Free shipping is displayed on the product page and at checkout is no guarantee you will get free shipping. Sometimes, Amazon requires you to buy additional items to be eligible for free shipping. I read the fine print of Amazon's Free Shipping. Amazon is a good company, prices far cheaper than Walmart.

If your order total is less than $25, you will not get free supersaver shipping (it says so clearly after the price)

red emphasis by me
Quote:


$19.98 & eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping on orders over $25. Details

The TV's page didn't state it that way, because it was already over $25. Instead, it stated:

red emphasis by me
Quote:


$[price].00 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping. Details


When you click on "Details" for either item, you get this:

red emphasis by me


Quote:


To take advantage of FREE Super Saver Shipping:
  1. Place at least $25 of eligible Amazon.com products in your Shopping Cart. (Eligible items will display "eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping ..." next to their price.)
  2. Proceed to checkout.
  3. Ship your items to a single U.S. address.
  4. Select "Group my items into as few shipments as possible" as your shipping preference.
  5. Select Super Saver Shipping as your shipping speed. Your order will be delivered within 5-8 business days.
  6. Place your order, and enjoy the free shipping!

Even if you didn't read the details, for anything less than $25 in eligible merchandise, the Free Shipping selection won't be available at checkout. Instead, the shipping charge will be plainly shown:

red emphasis by me
Quote:


Order Summary

Items (2): ................................$19.98
Shipping & Handling: ....................$5.51
Total Before Tax: ......................$25.49
Estimated Tax To Be Collected: .....$0.00
Order Total: .............................$25.49

and you'll get a warning like this in the "Order Subtotal" window before you click the "Proceed to checkout" button:

red emphasis by me
Quote:


Add $5.02 of eligible items to your order to qualify for
FREE Super Saver Shipping.

Sorry you were still confused, and paid for shipping anyway. (you still could have canceled you order before it shipped, but that's another story)

At any rate, the TVs in question are all over $25, and therefore eligible by themselves for FREE Super Saver Shipping, with no tax, so your concerns were never even an issue here.
Reply 3D Displays

Subscribe to this Thread

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3