3D Crosstalk - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 04-03-2012, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey all, I've heard all kinds of things about crosstalk but don't know which is definitive. I've heard it's just all subjective so you can't test it. I've heard it is content related (some has crosstalk and others do not). I've also heard that it's the different models of tv and whether they have it or not. Maybe it's just a combination of all these things, does anyone know?

Edit: I should have posted this in 3D tech not 3D displays, don't know how to move or if I can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-03-2012, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaket81 View Post

Hey all, I've heard all kinds of things about crosstalk but don't know which is definitive. I've heard it's just all subjective so you can't test it. I've heard it is content related (some has crosstalk and others do not). I've also heard that it's the different models of tv and whether they have it or not. Maybe it's just a combination of all these things, does anyone know?

Edit: I should have posted this in 3D tech not 3D displays, don't know how to move or if I can.

This is the correct location, because it's mostly display dependent.

You can test it one way here http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post19522682

Certain models/types of displays are susceptible to it, mainly active plasmas and LCDs, though mostly older models. DLPs have been shown by the above test and others to be pretty much immune to it. Content is not generally the culprit, though some has scenes that really show the faults of some displays.

Misaligned glasses can contribute as well, but they can be replaced, and some can have their timing adjusted.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

post #3 of 8 Old 04-03-2012, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

So it is the display itself, and I'm guessing it's hardware and not something that a firmware update fixes. I know passive 3d is supposed to be immune to it, but passive is the same as what's in the theaters and I'm never impressed, no wow factor whatsoever. Conclusion: no current 3d tech is good.
post #4 of 8 Old 04-03-2012, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

Also, where is the 3d from when I was a kid, where stuff came at you. Now it's all about depth which I don't give a fudgsicle about.
post #5 of 8 Old 04-03-2012, 04:06 PM
GEP
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaket81 View Post

So it is the display itself, and I'm guessing it's hardware and not something that a firmware update fixes. I know passive 3d is supposed to be immune to it, but passive is the same as what's in the theaters and I'm never impressed, no wow factor whatsoever. Conclusion: no current 3d tech is good.

Not all passive displays are immune to crosstalk; I have seen it when viewing above or below the sweet spot on some models. Some passive have wow factor, but wow factor is really content related, not display technology.

You conclusion is very very subjective (your opinion, not fact) and will not be supported by all people. I would question how valid your opinion is if you have not actually experienced all types.
post #6 of 8 Old 04-03-2012, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEP View Post

Not all passive displays are immune to crosstalk; I have seen it when viewing above or below the sweet spot on some models. Some passive have wow factor, but wow factor is really content related, not display technology.

You conclusion is very very subjective (your opinion, not fact) and will not be supported by all people. I would question how valid your opinion is if you have not actually experienced all types.

I thank you for your suggestions but maybe I came off as too literal. I just meant it would be nice if there was 3d with no downsides. I actually just recently purchased an active 3d tv. I've actually never experienced active 3d except for a few seconds here and there at stores, not enough to judge though. The reason I bought active is because I know passive is what's at the theater and I know it never thrills me. I may not like active either, who knows. I know I at least got a tv that is supposed to have a good 2d picture.
post #7 of 8 Old 04-13-2012, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I've had a 3-D TV for over year now and just recently got my first set of glasses, why did I wait so long? Well it's because of the dismal experience of seeing 3D at the movies, it quite simply sucked and was not worth it. It is exactly this experience that I expected to see from a 3D television today, and man I have to tell you I was so off base on this one. To my surprise 3D TVs actually do present 3D like you would wish it would be, the depth is incredible and the sense of things floating out beyond the screen is there too. It is freakin amazing, watching IMAX Under the Sea is a sight that one has to see with their own eyes on a 3D TV, the active 3D TV just blows away what you see in the theaters. I use a Sharp LCD 3D TV with Sharp 3D glasses.
post #8 of 8 Old 04-15-2012, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
3D at the theaters can be a mixed bag. I have only seen 1 3D movie that looked good at a theater and it wasn't Avatar! Problem with theaters is seating. Most seats are not in the sweet spot. 2nd problem is lighting, all the aisle lights, exit lights etc reflecting in the backside of the glasses. Theaters by law cannot be dark so 3D suffers. Distance from the screen also matters. Then there is operator error by the projectionist with filters.
The best 3D at a theater is one with a small seating room with a smaller screen. The picture is much brighter.
Reply 3D Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page