AVS Forum banner

Active Better Than Passive Per Sony

7K views 93 replies 21 participants last post by  tory40 
#1 ·
This was published on a Sony website in G.B. as to the advantages of their active displays over passive displays.

Active 3D advantages:

3D viewing maintains Full HD resolution from sources such as Blu-ray 3D.

2D viewing is not compromised by screen coatings, therefore screen brightness is not affected and power consumption is lower in 2D mode.

Passive 3D disadvantages:

3D viewing halves the resolution of the original video source. Blu-ray 3D is reduced to DVD quality.

2D viewing is affected by the 3D screen coating with a visible line structure.

Power consumption is greater than comparably sized Active 3D TV's due to screen coating and associated brightness issues.

See less See more
#77 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airion /forum/post/22010994

Actually he said it was "the big benefit to passive 3DTVs," which is the same thing that passive fans say. At least, that's the main reason why my next TV will be passive. Am I mistaken? But because it was from someone who posted some positive things about active technology, it was interpreted as negative by said passive fan(atic)s.

Thank you for pointing that out.
They both seemed to have missed it.

Quote:
I agree this stuff is entertaining reading though. We all love 3D, but argue so much about the details. The more we agree, the more we argue!

It isn't as simple as passive versus active glasses 3DTVs and which is bettter. It is MUCH more complicated than that. There are so many variables involved that affect the decision as to which 3DTV tech one should buy. Each tech has it's positives and negatives. It is definitely not a case that one is far better then the other. It's a subjective issue based on the variables of the home environment that the 3DTV will be going into.

#78 ·
I agree we are all big proponents of 3D, and the fact that we talk so passionately about the different technologies just shows how important the feature is to all of us. When a real world, affordable, glasses free technology becomes available someday, I think we all agree that will be a great day for all of us.

#79 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airion /forum/post/0

Actually he said it was "the big benefit to passive 3DTVs," which is the same thing that passive fans say. At least, that's the main reason why my next TV will be passive. Am I mistaken? But because it was from someone who posted some positive things about active technology, it was interpreted as negative by said passive fan(atic)s.

I agree this stuff is entertaining reading though. We all love 3D, but argue so much about the details. The more we agree, the more we argue!

I want (and will get one someday and do my own tests) an active set to see if that is the biggest advantage. Because if you take the cost of glasses out of the equation my other understanding is eye strain is quite a bit less with passive. I dont get eyestrain with passive but dont think I would with active either. But that to me is a major consideration considering I like to game. Bottom line one isn't better than the other, just a different solution to offer us a cool illusion, and as I always say I feel fortunate to have either technology in my home.

#80 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart /forum/post/0

Except I didn't say that did I? I said . . . "the big benefit" . . . NOT. . . "the only benefit." So please do not put words in my mouth I didn't say. How rude!

My post with my 5 point list adds value as far as I am concerned. I am speaking from personal real world experience. How much more valuable can you get? Each point is a factual one, not an opinion or speculation.

The only one trolling here is you. And please stop trying to be a psuedo-mod will you.

I just ignored your simplified post originally. Your...then cheap glasses implies that is the only real benefit. Since money isn't an issue to some people that in an of itself may not be a benefit at all.

And as far as being a pseudo-mod, I am glad my posts come off as objective rather than arrogant so thank you for the compliment.

#81 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CureMode /forum/post/22011053

I agree we are all big proponents of 3D, and the fact that we talk so passionately about the different technologies just shows how important the feature is to all of us. When a real world, affordable, glasses free technology becomes available someday, I think we all agree that will be a great day for all of us.

Fixed it!

When a real world, affordable, high quality glasses free technology that is equal to what exists today, becomes available someday, I think we all agree that will be a great day for all of us

#82 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonka702 /forum/post/22011132

I just ignored your simplified post originally. Your...then cheap glasses implies that is the only real benefit. Since money isn't an issue to some people that in an of itself may not be a benefit at all.

It implied nothing of the sort. That is YOUR interpertation (really a misinterpertation). And money issues? LOL - anyone would see the benefit of spending $60 for 10 pair of passive glasses versus $600 for 10 pair of active glasses.

Quote:
And as far as being a pseudo-mod, I am glad my posts come off as objective rather than arrogant so thank you for the compliment.

LMAO! Cripes you are funny!
Try . . . authoritative . . . NOT objective as you claim. Cripes you are a legend in your own mind huh?

#83 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart /forum/post/0

It implied nothing of the sort. That is YOUR interpertation (really a misinterpertation). And money issues? LOL - anyone would see the benefit of spending $60 for 10 pair of passive glasses versus $600 for 10 pair of active glasses.

LMAO! Cripes you are funny!
Try . . . authoritative . . . NOT objective as you claim. Cripes you are a legend in your own mind huh?

I definitely am a legend to my own mind, but then I have to consider the source telling me that is my own mind so then there is that, have fun with your tv and I will have fun with mine.

#85 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonka702 /forum/post/22011068

my other understanding is eye strain is quite a bit less with passive. I dont get eyestrain with passive but dont think I would with active either. But that to me is a major consideration considering I like to game.

The most eyestrain I've ever had was with the 3DS, an autostereoscopic display, when I first got it. Why? Because it was when I first got it and my eyes hadn't yet adjusted to stereoscopic 3D. Seriously, terrible eye strain, but it went away completely after a few days of stubbornly playing Zelda 3D for 1-2 hours at a time.

Today, I play 3D games for 1-2 hours every day with my PC, occasionally for sessions of up to 7 hours (party time!), on my active 3D DLP 720p projector and it's completely comfortable. Same for my friends who have joined in on those 7 hour 3D gaming sessions.

The only thing that makes me sick is switching the game back to 2D mode. Yuck. The real enemy here isn't active or passive, it's 2D. No exaggeration, it's downright ugly and unsettling once you're used to 3D.

#86 ·
Passive has it benefits but I will wait until the 4K sets allow me to see the full 3D resolution from my 3DBDs. Active is currently the way to go for projection based home theater. Passive still has many obstacles in that environment... multiple projectors, aligning the two, filters, maintaining similar brightness, color correction, dedicated 3D screen, etc. Active in that segment is much more plug and play. I don't think my image is less bright compared to the commercial 3D screens in my area.

Plus if you are serious about 3D immersion, a large screen projection setup is really the only way to go unless you want to sit closer to your flat panel.

#87 ·
Would it be possible to keep this thread civil? Some of you posting here are out of control, please private message one another with your childish arguments. Seriously, some of you are probably 60 or 70 years old and you have nothing better to do than bicker? It's sad. Let's keep this forum as a place where others can trade useful info and share opinions; and not reduce the whole thing to the level of a **** measuring contest.
I bet none of you would talk to one another like this if you weren't hiding behind a keyboard.

#88 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robut /forum/post/0

LMAO I get a kick out of how wonka702 posts "Ask yourself is your post adding value to the discussion before pressing the enter button."

It's like someone threw a switch and everything degenerates to name calling and character assassination.

I am very good at giving advice just like most people, problem is I am not very good at taking it. You Robut have a way of being totally condescending yet for some reason because you have conviction in your posts even when you're being arrogant and stubborn, it doesn't bother me.

In addition to that you are the one who pointed out to me that this (or maybe it was Augerhandle) that we aren't in a format war, this isn't active versus passive like it was with 360 vs PS3 or hd dvd vs blu ray, both technologies can exist together.

I didn't know half the things I know now before I bought my 3dtv because there is so much misinformation on 3d. Im trying to be part of the solution and not the problem when someone is looking to buy a 3DTV.

I'm still pissed and amazed at Frys Electronics sales people because the day I decided I was going to get a 3dtv the salesman at Frys told me I didn't need it and tried to sell me a 2d tv. I looked at him and said I got a great 2d Samsung at home what do you have in 3d and he still tried to sell me a 2d tv. The displays were not working properly so getting a demo was almost impossible and I ended up just researching things on line and had to buy my set blind based on different posts and reviews on line. The active 50 Panasonic was originally my choice and I was going to go back to Frys and buy it and glasses. Well low and behold, Frys had this beautiful 50" THX certified Panasonic 1080p Plasma (I loved my Samsung plasma and pretty much wanted to stick with plasma) but no glasses came with it and Frys didn't even have any that I could buy at that time. Thats when I went back to the drawing board and stumbled upon Vizios passive technology which I later just ordered from using information I found online about it without ever seeing it in action (price was reasonable enough that it made the risk low).

I decided I wanted a 3dtv because I have ALWAYS LOVED 3D and still remember the day in April or May of 2005 that I heard about Real D 3d coming to theatres. I was a GM for Century Theatres at the time and was in San Rafael CA for training when it was announced.

I like to provide my opinions on these forums so others can have as much information since they too will probably have a hard time getting any real information from the sales people at any of the retail stores in existence as I later had a similar experience at Best Buy trying to get demos of 3d with a friend who later bought a LG passive set.

So yeah, why do we have to argue with each other about which is better? Makes no sense to me because if you know anything about the state of 3d in cinemas right now (if 3d goes away at the cinema we wont have new content to enjoy) then you know it is on life support. The numbers for Avengers this weekend

were phenomenal but most of the people who saw it in 3d were basically forced to because the 2d screens were all sold out. At my buddies theatre he had two screens of 2d and 6 screens of 3d and the 2d outsold 3d and the people who did buy 3d tickets did it because they couldn't buy 2d tickets (not all but most). So yeah if we create dissension as 3d lovers with each other, someday soon, we may not have any new content to even enjoy and discuss.

#89 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airion /forum/post/0

The most eyestrain I've ever had was with the 3DS, an autostereoscopic display, when I first got it. Why? Because it was when I first got it and my eyes hadn't yet adjusted to stereoscopic 3D. Seriously, terrible eye strain, but it went away completely after a few days of stubbornly playing Zelda 3D for 1-2 hours at a time.

Today, I play 3D games for 1-2 hours every day with my PC, occasionally for sessions of up to 7 hours (party time!), on my active 3D DLP 720p projector and it's completely comfortable. Same for my friends who have joined in on those 7 hour 3D gaming sessions.

The only thing that makes me sick is switching the game back to 2D mode. Yuck. The real enemy here isn't active or passive, it's 2D. No exaggeration, it's downright ugly and unsettling once you're used to 3D.

I completely agree and know the strain you speak of from my Evo 3d, almost felt as if someone was pushing on my eyes the first couple of days. I am waiting until they integrate that new second analog stick into the redesign before I purchase one, or I would already have one. I

So how much content is available in 3d on PC? I use 360 and PS3 for gaming mainly.

#90 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonka702 /forum/post/22011688

I am very good at giving advice just like most people, problem is I am not very good at taking it. You Robut have a way of being totally condescending yet for some reason because you have conviction in your posts even when you're being arrogant and stubborn, it doesn't bother me.

Even thought my little comment quoted from you I didn't mean to direct it at you or frankly anyone else. I just thought it was comical and I wanted to point it out as a joke (lame one).

If I come off condescending I'm sorry. In reality I find it a real challange to argue with you or others I could name. You comebacks are spot on most of the time. Part of my constant sort of attaches, for want of a better word, on this subject are that I find reading and adding to the argument pretty entertaining. I'm not a good or fast typer so I have to make short comments and I suppose they come out sharp.

I apologize to you and others. This of course will not be the end of that happening.

#91 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve P. /forum/post/22011567

Would it be possible to keep this thread civil? Some of you posting here are out of control, please private message one another with your childish arguments. Seriously, some of you are probably 60 or 70 years old and you have nothing better to do than bicker? It's sad. Let's keep this forum as a place where others can trade useful info and share opinions; and not reduce the whole thing to the level of a **** measuring contest.
I bet none of you would talk to one another like this if you weren't hiding behind a keyboard.

You are so right and you hit my age range right on the head.

#92 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve P. /forum/post/22011567

Would it be possible to keep this thread civil?

Well i just saw a 3D display where an active was right next to a passive and you could press a button and start an identical 3D movie preview and so i watched the Green Lantern preview on both, switching back and forth and the 2012 active was almost as bright as the passive! Deal with it passive users!!!
Try and cope ....if your able!!

#93 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonka702 /forum/post/22011796

So how much content is available in 3d on PC? I use 360 and PS3 for gaming mainly.

There's tons of 3D content on PC, though it's a little more complicated than on consoles. With Nvidia's 3D drivers, in theory just about any game can be run in 3D with no need for developers to specifically support it. In practice, many games have some issues in 3D where things don't quite render correctly, such as shadows or reflections. However, there's also a good modding community that's developed to iron out these issues on popular titles. So here's some games I've played in perfect 3D at 720p 60fsps: Assassin's Creed II & Brotherhood, Skyrim, Mass Effect 3, The Witcher 2, among others. These are big games that can't be played in 3D on consoles.

The PS3 was my only source for 3D games for a long time, but I should have gotten my gaming PC sooner than I did. If you really want to game in 3D, you owe it to yourself to get one.

#94 ·
Any DirectX game can be played in 3D on the PC.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.