After three years of 3D my conclusion is - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 250 Old 06-24-2012, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Joe, I hope the LM6200 you're getting looks as good as my 65LM6200.
Building a passive projection using dual RS40s sounds like something I might be interested in also. Of course I would also need a Domemi Labs Dimension 3D format converter to make it do windowed 3D which is a must. (another high dollar item that shouldn't be necessary...)

Did IQ's suddenly drop sharply while I was away?
I enjoy 3D in spite of HDMI 1.4!
Full screen only 3D doesn't cut it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 250 Old 06-24-2012, 12:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 119
I just took back the LM 5800. They didn't have the 6200 at that store, so the sales rep checked online and found that they had the step up 47" LM7600 model for $1,000. Turns out I it will fit in my edit space, so I upgraded to 47" for $150 more. I will probably end up moving my seat back, so the screen isn't overwhelming, but I think it will work. The 7600 is the 240hz model, but I'm not sure what that means for 3D. Could be frame interpolation for 3D, or maybe just smoother motion. I'll report. It's supposed to be delivered Thursday.

Joe Clark

post #183 of 250 Old 06-24-2012, 12:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank View Post

Joe, I hope the LM6200 you're getting looks as good as my 65LM6200.
Building a passive projection using dual RS40s sounds like something I might be interested in also. Of course I would also need a Domemi Labs Dimension 3D format converter to make it do windowed 3D which is a must. (another high dollar item that shouldn't be necessary...)

The system discussed in this AVS thread splits the left/right 3D signals (with Optoma 3DXLs, IIRC) into 2 24p streams for Blu-ray 3D. Each RS40 projector thus can do frame interpolation for 3D, to smooth out the jerky 24p frame rate. Ghosting should be limited only by the characteristics of the screen and the polarizing system. The really ugly dark ghosting that all the JVCs suffer from should be gone, theoretically. From what I've read, this system might be right up your alley, Frank.

Joe Clark

post #184 of 250 Old 06-24-2012, 12:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

post #185 of 250 Old 06-24-2012, 01:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Yikes, Frank. I just skimmed through that thread for the first time in a while, and they're talking about new passive systems that MIGHT be able to handle Full HD 3D at 60p, with dual projectors and the assistance of a computer (and a 60p shooting mode on the camcorders). Again, I just skimmed the last couple of pages, but to I think you'd enjoy checking out these possibilities.

Joe Clark

post #186 of 250 Old 06-24-2012, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm familiar with that thread and posted in it a question about windowed 3D and got ignored.
I have accepted that I am the sole person who requires it.
Actually I have my own ideas about the ultimate projector and am going to do it without anyone's advice.

post #187 of 250 Old 06-26-2012, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I just rendered a short clip that I shot a couple of years ago at a local air show of a B24 Liberator WWII bomber.
I rendered it in my new favorite 3D format which is AVCHD 60P @ 26 megabits per second in top bottom format.
When I watched it on my new 65LM6200 I was in awe of the picture quality. I've seen the video many times and this is the best it's looked by far.
What's very interesting to me is that I can see no horizontal lines in the image whatsoever and no ghosting whatsoever even when the 55MM machine gun barrel is right in your face.
I just uploaded it to YouTube in 1080P60 top bottom format and looked at it and it still looks good. As good as I've ever seen on YouTube in 3D.

I am now the biggest LG 3D TV fan ever.
I absolutely love this television.

For those who are curious, here is the link to you YouTube video.
B24 up close

post #188 of 250 Old 06-26-2012, 11:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I'm pretty sure I remember that video, Frank. I had to watch it on the Samsung, which of course disappoints. I'm going to be taking deliver of the LG 7600 on Thursday, and I really look forward to watching it on that display. How do you think it compares to the Parrot Drone video you posted the other day?

The one thing I'm concerned about is reviews that question the color accuracy of the LG sets. Apparently, people who calibrate are having difficulty getting the primaries right. We'll see how that story unfolds.

Joe Clark

post #189 of 250 Old 06-26-2012, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

I'm pretty sure I remember that video, Frank. I had to watch it on the Samsung, which of course disappoints. I'm going to be taking deliver of the LG 7600 on Thursday, and I really look forward to watching it on that display. How do you think it compares to the Parrot Drone video you posted the other day?
They both look incredible on my LG 65LM6200.
Quote:
The one thing I'm concerned about is reviews that question the color accuracy of the LG sets. Apparently, people who calibrate are having difficulty getting the primaries right. We'll see how that story unfolds.
I don't know about that but when I point my twin Canon G10s outside and watch the live 3D on the LG, it's hard to tell the difference between what I see through the freshly washed window and what's on the screen.wink.gif I give a slight edge to the LG.....cool.gif

post #190 of 250 Old 06-26-2012, 01:35 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

For those who are curious, here is the link to you YouTube video.
B24 up close
Yes this looks better on my passive 3D TV (a cheap 42" LCD) than my active 3D TV (a 50" Panasonic plasma). One reason is brightness. The Panasonic VT20 struggles unless the scene is bright overall.

But the main reason I believe is the lack of Left Right alternation with a passive LCD display. I find I can stare at the picture and "drink in" the 3D. It seems more "solid", and closer to reality, than what I see through 120Hz shutter glasses.
post #191 of 250 Old 06-26-2012, 02:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Passive is definitely easier on the eyes. I notice a strange artifact I have trouble putting into words about viewing through active glasses. Even with simple white credits on a black background, there is a breakup as I scan my eyes over the frame through active glasses. It reminds me a bit of DLP rainbows, but it's obviously not color separation causing it. But it sometimes seems to "fracture" or "splinter," and it's subtly disturbing. I can watch passive without seeing it at all.

The thing that bothers me most with the LG is the jaggies - even more so than color inaccuracy. For instance, in Monsters vs Aliens, in the hilarious scene in which the president plays the Close Encounters (and Beverly Hills Cop) themes for the alien robot, the sharp diagonal lines of the piano keys are clearly stair-stepped. This doesn't happen on my active displays. On my Epson 6010 home theater projector, those keys look smooth and clean. And the Epson's colors are more accurate, and the contrast and black level are far superior to the out of the box settings of the LG. On balance, the Epson is more satisfying for watching Blu-ray 3D movies, even if it tires my eyes a bit during extended viewing. For video editing, though, there's no doubt which technology I prefer - passive!

Joe Clark

post #192 of 250 Old 06-26-2012, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Passive is definitely easier on the eyes. I notice a strange artifact I have trouble putting into words about viewing through active glasses. Even with simple white credits on a black background, there is a breakup as I scan my eyes over the frame through active glasses. It reminds me a bit of DLP rainbows, but it's obviously not color separation causing it. But it sometimes seems to "fracture" or "splinter," and it's subtly disturbing. I can watch passive without seeing it at all.
The thing that bothers me most with the LG is the jaggies - even more so than color inaccuracy. For instance, in Monsters vs Aliens, in the hilarious scene in which the president plays the Close Encounters (and Beverly Hills Cop) themes for the alien robot, the sharp diagonal lines of the piano keys are clearly stair-stepped. This doesn't happen on my active displays. On my Epson 6010 home theater projector, those keys look smooth and clean. And the Epson's colors are more accurate, and the contrast and black level are far superior to the out of the box settings of the LG. On balance, the Epson is more satisfying for watching Blu-ray 3D movies, even if it tires my eyes a bit during extended viewing. For video editing, though, there's no doubt which technology I prefer - passive!
Joe, I can not see any "jaggies' on my LG 65LM6200 period. Not from any distance. I suspect the TV you are replacing is inferior in this respect as well as others.
When I look extremely close at the image on screen I see only what appears to be a circular pattern which obviously is because of the polarization.
I see no horizontal black lines either, just the most beautiful 3D images I've seen in all my time of making and watching 3D.

post #193 of 250 Old 06-26-2012, 04:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I hope so, Frank. I'll know Thursday if the 7600 is better in this regard than the 5800.

Joe Clark

post #194 of 250 Old 06-26-2012, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I hope so, Frank. I'll know Thursday if the 7600 is better in this regard than the 5800.
On the other hand, I haven't watched "Monsters vs Aliens" either. rolleyes.gif

post #195 of 250 Old 06-26-2012, 08:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Joe, I can not see any "jaggies' on my LG 65LM6200 period. Not from any distance. I suspect the TV you are replacing is inferior in this respect as well as others.
When I look extremely close at the image on screen I see only what appears to be a circular pattern which obviously is because of the polarization.
I see no horizontal black lines either, just the most beautiful 3D images I've seen in all my time of making and watching 3D.

You may not want to do this, but...

Just so I'm sure we're on the same page, would you do a simple test? Put up a white image and get within a few inches of the screen. Watch with and without the glasses. Do you see that, with the glasses on, dark horizontal lines appear on the set? When I watch video that has sharp diagonal lines (like MvA's keyboard, or anything else with similar diagonals), such lines look very smooth on my active sets, but they take on an obvious stair-step appearance on the LG. I saw it no matter how far back I sat in my computer room when I watched the 5800. I'm having a hard time believing the model 7600 will be any different. That's just how LG does passive 3D, isn't it, at least until the 4k sets come out? When I look at 2D on the LG, there are no jaggies, since all 1080 lines are visible. I did the same test when I watched 3D on a 55" LG in a Best Buy. Obviously, you're not going to notice this with all video content. However, on certain scenes it distracts me, because I know how it looks on an active 3D display.

Motion, even on the 5800, looked very, very good. As you say, the temporal resolution appears to be there. It's very smooth. But since LG uses the same lines to display the fields, doesn't it follow that the spatial resolution is going to be off? And isn't the obvious result of that design decision going to be to introduce subtle jaggies into the image in some scenes? I'm not saying it's a bad decision, since the net result for 3D viewing is so very positive. I'm just saying there is an issue created doing it that way. I can't not see it. On very close examination, I don't understand how anyone can not see it. From a distance, it's easy to understand how it could be missed.

For anyone else who happily sees no jaggies now but wants to go "looking for trouble" (sounds like a really stupid idea, doesn't it? biggrin.gif), I'd like to hear about what they discover. I promise as soon as I get my 7600 Thursday, it's one of the first things I'll do. If I don't see the jaggies, I'll be absolutely delighted to report it.

Joe Clark

post #196 of 250 Old 06-27-2012, 03:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You may not want to do this, but...
Just so I'm sure we're on the same page, would you do a simple test? Put up a white image and get within a few inches of the screen. Watch with and without the glasses. Do you see that, with the glasses on, dark horizontal lines appear on the set? When I watch video that has sharp diagonal lines (like MvA's keyboard, or anything else with similar diagonals), such lines look very smooth on my active sets, but they take on an obvious stair-step appearance on the LG. I saw it no matter how far back I sat in my computer room when I watched the 5800. I'm having a hard time believing the model 7600 will be any different. That's just how LG does passive 3D, isn't it, at least until the 4k sets come out? When I look at 2D on the LG, there are no jaggies, since all 1080 lines are visible. I did the same test when I watched 3D on a 55" LG in a Best Buy. Obviously, you're not going to notice this with all video content. However, on certain scenes it distracts me, because I know how it looks on an active 3D display.
Motion, even on the 5800, looked very, very good. As you say, the temporal resolution appears to be there. It's very smooth. But since LG uses the same lines to display the fields, doesn't it follow that the spatial resolution is going to be off? And isn't the obvious result of that design decision going to be to introduce subtle jaggies into the image in some scenes? I'm not saying it's a bad decision, since the net result for 3D viewing is so very positive. I'm just saying there is an issue created doing it that way. I can't not see it. On very close examination, I don't understand how anyone can not see it. From a distance, it's easy to understand how it could be missed.
For anyone else who happily sees no jaggies now but wants to go "looking for trouble" (sounds like a really stupid idea, doesn't it? biggrin.gif), I'd like to hear about what they discover. I promise as soon as I get my 7600 Thursday, it's one of the first things I'll do. If I don't see the jaggies, I'll be absolutely delighted to report it.

Joe, I have carefully scrutinized the image that this TV produces in numerous ways including what you asked me to do. It's not so much that I see horizontal lines but what I would call the pixel structure. Looking at the screen closely without the glasses on I can see no pixel structure at all. When I put the glasses on I can see it.
What I can not see at all is any noticeable aliasing no matter how much I might look for it.
With my eyesight being what it is I can not guarantee that it isn't there, I just can't see it from any viewing distance.
When I first looked at an LG at Best Buy last year the line structure was very apparent from any distance just as you say but that was then and this is now.
Both my eyes have pretty severe macula puckering and require surgery but I am putting it off until my supplemental medicare coverage kicks in in a month.eek.gif

post #197 of 250 Old 06-27-2012, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

O.K. I just watched a 3D video I made a while back while testing my gyro-stabilizer. It's a short cruise through a local marina.
It's a pretty good torture test for aliasing (stair stepping).
I uploaded a part of it here.
I looked at it pretty close on the LG 65LM6200 playing from my central computer using Stereoscopic Player and can not observe any aliasing to speak of. If anything should show it this certainly should.

post #198 of 250 Old 06-27-2012, 11:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I'll take a look at the video when I get the LG 7600 tomorrow.

As Don said a few days ago, the debate over what is "Full HD 3D" with these passive LG sets is pretty much pointless. I need to read a technical explanation to satisfy my curiosity as to exactly what's going on. Until then, I'm conjecturing. Ultimately, what's important is the viewing experience. I love so many things about what I saw with the LG, and maybe once I get it calibrated closer to what I'm used to, I'll like it even more, even with the aliasing I see. I think I'll find 4K passive very hard to resist, when the price comes down a little. Even better, 4k OLED 3D should be utterly amazing, but that's going to cost a boatload of kronas for the foreseeable future. biggrin.gif

Joe Clark

post #199 of 250 Old 06-27-2012, 09:38 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Joe- LG had 55" OLED 3D 4K side by side to today's LED 2K 3D 55" and the the difference was amazing. I haven't seen any release on them yet but the 84" LED 4K is said to be out this Fall. 84" won't fit on my wall behind my roll down screen. 65" is what will be optimum for me so I will have to wait. The 84" 4k LED with 480 Hz is said to be out at a price point of just under $5000. Give it another 2 years and these TV's will be down under $1000 I'm betting.

Frank, I'll bet when you get your eyes fixed you won't be happy with passive anymore. Soft vision has a way of hiding the defects. When I turned 60 I finally went and had my eyes checked and got some reading glasses for my computer. I have a slight astigmatism in my left eye and right eye is perfect. But this minor defect made seeing my monitors at pixel level impossible. After getting my glasses to optimize focus at 2-6 ft. I could see all the little pixel patterns in the screen. The black lines on the FPR passive screen are huge and quite obvious, even on my 32". If I take my glasses off they almost disappear! BTW- I use flip up clip-ons for passive glasses when editing. This way I have corrective lenses for reading the monitors and seeing the 3D too. In the HT I don't wear glasses but my wife needs them. I made Rx active shutter glasses for her so she doesn't have to wear two pairs of glasses in our HT. It's made a big difference in the fatigue level having Rx shutters. Half the weight and much more comfortable! She tried contacts which is a good compromise but at the end of the day she is tired of wearing contacts and the 3D made the strain worse.
post #200 of 250 Old 06-27-2012, 10:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I love deep, rich contrast. Everything I've read says OLED contrast is great. I can't wait to see one.

I'm sure next year's sets will make today's 3D TVs look sad, just like that LG (in a few short days) completely ruined any hope I ever have of enjoying the Samsung C7000 monitor I've been using to edit. I can barely stand to watch it now. Uggglleee! frown.gif

Joe Clark

post #201 of 250 Old 06-28-2012, 03:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post

Frank, I'll bet when you get your eyes fixed you won't be happy with passive anymore.
Then maybe I shouldn't have the surgery?
Quote:
Soft vision has a way of hiding the defects.
That's a good thing in my opinion and certainly in my wife's.wink.gif

To sum up:

My TV has "huge" black lines that can be seen from any distance and distracting aliasing but I'm having no issues with it because of my poor vision.
The new forthcoming 4K sets will have twice as many black lines that will be presumably "huge" divided by 2.biggrin.gif
The new upcoming OLED sets will obsolete all our current televisions.

post #202 of 250 Old 06-28-2012, 06:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Get the surgery Frank. Forget your passive TV. Your entire world, the life you see all around you, will become clearer and more beautiful. In all likelyhood, you'll enjoy your TV's image more in all its raw glory, despite being able to see the flaws. I've worn glasses and contacts for the vast majority of my life, and I never choose to go without them, screen door effect, aliasing, etc be damned.

Also, it's somewhat irresponsible to make multiple threads recommending passive 3D TVs without disclosing upfront that your vision is compromised.

Honestly, I think you're too knowledgeable and too much of a 3D videophile for ignorance to be bliss.
post #203 of 250 Old 06-28-2012, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airion View Post

Get the surgery Frank. Forget your passive TV. Your entire world, the life you see all around you, will become clearer and more beautiful. In all likelyhood, you'll enjoy your TV's image more in all its raw glory, despite being able to see the flaws. I've worn glasses and contacts for the vast majority of my life, and I never choose to go without them, screen door effect, aliasing, etc be damned.
I appreciate your opinion and you're probably right.
A little history might explain a few things:
Many years ago I was contracted to automate some contact lens lathes.
While I was testing a prototype, I machined a couple of lenses that wound up in my eyes.
These were the first and only contacts I ever wore. When I first put them on I could not believe how much better I could see.
A few days later while wearing them, I was driving in heavy traffic when they suddenly both slid off my pupils and wedged under my lower lid. I barely avoided a serious accident and ever since then I've put off any kind of work on my eyes until it was 100 percent necessary.
Quote:
Also, it's somewhat irresponsible to make multiple threads recommending passive 3D TVs without disclosing upfront that your vision is compromised.
Why is that exactly? The other post was a technical question for the technical section and doesn't belong here. In addition, I plan on using that other thread to post the results of the resolution experiments I'm currently performing.

Should everyone who posts their subjective opinion on how a TV performs have to disclose their own eye test results?

I think it's relevant to mention that my wife was asked about the black lines and aliasing on the TV and she doesn't see it either and her eyesight while not perfect is better then mine.

post #204 of 250 Old 06-28-2012, 09:15 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I have slightly better than 20/20 vision, in both eyes, and I have no problem with passive 3D LED TV vertical smoothness, provided I am not close to the screen. Close to the screen there is a venetian blind pattern of black lines. I need to be about 6 screen heights away for the screen to appear smooth (with the exception of occasional images that happen to produce unusually strong alias effects).

This is not the point to my mind. It is obvious a sacrifice is being made in using only alternate lines for each eye. Close up viewing is precluded (unless you are happy to see lines that remind you of an old fashioned CRT TV raster). But what is on the other side of the ledger?

1. Lack of 120Hz alternation (for my vision a very big plus, though this isn't an issue for many people, less sensitive to flicker, or to phase discrepancies between what is presented to the Left and Right eyes). A passive LED display stimulates both eyes at the same time, just as in real life. As 3D movies begin to be released at 48fps or even 60fps, the limitations of 120Hz shutter glasses for portraying motion realistically, may become more obvious to a greater percentage of viewers.

2. Greater screen brightness than for typical shutter glass displays (particularly plasma displays which can really struggle other than in dim lighting). A large percentage of people would immediately notice and appreciate this,

3. The ability to show 3D to a larger gathering (say a dozen people) at a reasonable cost for the extra glasses.
post #205 of 250 Old 06-28-2012, 09:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:

Why is that exactly? The other post was a technical question for the technical section and doesn't belong here. In addition, I plan on using that other thread to post the results of the resolution experiments I'm currently performing.
Should everyone who posts their subjective opinion on how a TV performs have to disclose their own eye test results?

I apologize, "irresponsible" wasn't the right word. What I do mean to say is, your eye sight is relevant to your subjective experience with your passive TVs, especially if it helps mask some negatives that others would otherwise see. Similar to other individual factors such as seating distance, viewing angle, etc, I think it's relevant and gives us more insight into your opinions and your experience with your TVs.
post #206 of 250 Old 06-28-2012, 11:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I took delivery of the LG 47LM7600 today. It's a local dimming, 240hz LED LCD design that's a couple of steps up from the LG 42LM5800 that it replaces. It has all 7 manually selectable 3D modes that Frank described earlier, and 3 more than the 5800. I watched about 4 hours of 3D on it tonight. Here's the short-form report:

The set is not calibrated, of course. I did my viewing in the "Game" picture mode. I found it the most satisfying, although I almost didn't try it because I've hated game mode on every other display I've seen. ISF 1 & 2 were far too red and flat for my tastes. Game, at its defaults, was probably too blue, but overall it created a level of contrast and "pop" that I loved. I saw things in Avatar I never noticed before, and the sense of depth was striking. Skin tones looked pretty good to me. That impression might change, though, as I watch more content.

The dark lines and aliasing in 3D mode are noticeable, but more so because the screen is larger. I'm succeeding a bit in training my eyes not to go immediately to parts of the screen where I know I'll find such artifacts. That's impossible with certain content, but psychologically I'm adapting pretty quickly. It reminds me a bit of how I adapted to the rainbow effect with my DLP projectors. After a couple of days, I found it difficult to see them, because my brain/eyes "filtered" them out very effectively. If I was away from DLP for a few days, I could see them again and had to readjust.

Ghosting is not perfect, but it's extremely good. It's better than any display I've ever owned (8 of them), and not too far behind a couple of 100% ghost free DLP projectors I've seen. The ghosting "sweet spot" is greater on the vertical, probably just because it's 5" bigger. Outside the vertical sweet spot, it ghosts plenty, but it's easier for me to stay in the sweet spot than it was with the 42" 5800. Left to right angles didn't affect ghosting much, but of course the 3D effect changed and became less immersive, as it does with all displays.

It's the brightest 3D I've ever experienced.

Because of these two things (ghosting and brightness), the sense of 3D depth is the best I've seen, period. It's stunning how much difference those two factors together make. Avatar, Deep Sea, Grand Canyon Adventure, and 3 or 4 other titles took on a 3-dimensionality that was intoxicating.

Black level and contrast are better than the 5800 (probably because of the local dimming), also adding to the sense of depth. Contrast overall is not as good as my Epson 3D projector, and not even close to the JVC RS40/45 projectors. But since the JVCs ghost so horribly, the LG passive display beats them silly for 3D. Overall performance here is not bad for LCD, but it also doesn't touch plasma. I think watching episodes of Fringe on Blu-ray would be much less satisfying on this set than my Samsung plasma.

One thing I was most fearful of was that the display would be uncomfortably big for video editing. I haven't done a marathon edit session yet, but it doesn't look like it will be a problem. It barely fits into my existing space, but I didn't have to change anything, so I consider myself lucky in that regard.

I'll be recommending these LG sets to any friends and relatives who might be interested in 3D. I honestly don't think most would be as bothered by the jaggies as I am, and even I am adjusting nicely to them. For 2D, most people are also not nearly as concerned about black level and contrast as I am. I doubt these things would bother 99% of the people I know about this LG set.

Finally, the passive glasses I got with this set are wonderful. Super light, super bright, and they cause no eye fatigue whatsoever. They also seem very uniform across the lenses in terms of performance (except for the obvious line pattern created by the FPR). I can't say that about any of the active glasses I've owned - JVC, Epson (although they're by far my favorite active glasses), Samsung (two types), 3D Heaven, Xpand, Sony. Although it may not be obvious while watching movies, I've picked up on distortions created by looking through different parts of the active lenses. This has nothing to do with the flashing shutters, either, which can cause fatigue after prolonged viewing. I probably suffer less than most people from such fatigue, but the improvement with passive glasses is obvious even to me.

What about 4k passive OLED? I might just ditch all my current stuff to buy in, because it sounds like it has the potential to solve all of the above problems. Meanwhile, I'll enjoy this LG. I might end up re-watching most of my 3D library on it, even though my computer room isn't the most comfortable place to watch movies. biggrin.gif

Thanks again, Frank. I'm sold.

Joe Clark

post #207 of 250 Old 06-29-2012, 09:05 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
The new forthcoming 4K sets will have twice as many black lines that will be presumably "huge" divided by 2.biggrin.gif
The new upcoming OLED sets will obsolete all our current televisions.

The new 4K sets will have lines at half the height and therefore less visible. I could not see the lines at all until I got within a foot of the 55" screen. Whether the lines are small or "huge" will still be a function of how close you sit, your vision, and the size of the TV.

The OLED TV had a more solid look to the color as OLED is more solid film like than LCD back lit with LED ( what most of us are now using).

I assume you were referring to the hard contact lens. My wife had them and was always having trouble with them sliding around. Today she uses the soft lenses that are supposed to be 24 hour kind but she could never deal with the eye fatigue of the 24 hour lenses. She wears them only for work when she has to get before groups on stage or needs to drive at night as her glasses cause glare. Otherwise she just wears glasses. She needs glasses to see distance.
post #208 of 250 Old 06-29-2012, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post

Quote:
I assume you were referring to the hard contact lens. My wife had them and was always having trouble with them sliding around. Today she uses the soft lenses that are supposed to be 24 hour kind but she could never deal with the eye fatigue of the 24 hour lenses. She wears them only for work when she has to get before groups on stage or needs to drive at night as her glasses cause glare. Otherwise she just wears glasses. She needs glasses to see distance.
Hard contacts alright. That was back in the 1970s I believe.
By the way, I have a number of eye charts in the house and I just checked my vision and it's almost 20/20.
Interesting that I can not see the horizontal lines at all, isn't it?
Apparently my brain is a noise, aliasing filter among other things.
I suspect that since I had two retina detachments and tears and had to deal with lots of sharply focused "floaters', my brain has learned to filter all that extraneous stuff out which evidently includes horizontal lines and aliasing artifacts.
biggrin.gif
I just got off my treadmill where I have replaced my Samsung UN40C7000 with a LG 23" 3D monitor and boy what an improvement. While I was exercising I was watching live 3D from my front yard camera pointing up at an tree where an eagle hangs out. Even though my eyes were only inches from the screen I still couldn't see any horizontal lines.

post #209 of 250 Old 06-29-2012, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Because of these two things (ghosting and brightness), the sense of 3D depth is the best I've seen, period. It's stunning how much difference those two factors together make. Avatar, Deep Sea, Grand Canyon Adventure, and 3 or 4 other titles took on a 3-dimensionality that was intoxicating.
This is what I was thinking also about why I was so stunned at the quality, that plus the thin and light glasses that I often forget to take off.
No it's not old age kicking in. at least I don't think so.rolleyes.gif

Great first review. Looking forward to more from you, Joe.

post #210 of 250 Old 06-29-2012, 02:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

This is very cool. If I switch in Vegas to line alternate mode but don’t select that mode on the LG, as soon as I go full screen I see in 3D. No need to manually set it. Just put the glasses on and watch. Go out of full screen and I'm back to normal 2D for editing. It's all instantaneous. Now all I need is some flip up polarizing glasses.

Joe Clark

Reply 3D Displays

Tags
Lg 65lm6200 65 Inch Cinema 3d 1080p 120 Hz Led Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page