Do HMDs provide a movie theater experience? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 05-23-2012, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Do HMDs really give off the impression of a huge screen, that cinema feeling that you dont nearly get on TV? Can anyone tell me their experience? Or is it all phony?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-23-2012, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 52
The visual experience, yes, in my opinion. However, the HMZ-T1 is uncomfortable and isolating.

Greg Lee
post #3 of 8 Old 05-23-2012, 07:26 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post

The visual experience, yes, in my opinion. However, the HMZ-T1 is uncomfortable and isolating.

There is also the recently released SMD ST1080 which is lighter and more comfortable as reported by the few that have received it.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1395827

Not a lot of reviews yet on it but looks promising, so far.
post #4 of 8 Old 05-23-2012, 08:25 PM

I tried HMZ-T1 in the store. It's like an ant cinema. Yes, relative proportions and perception of screen is akin that to a movie theater screen. But at the same time you know and feel like looking at a small screen, it just makes you feel tiny, like an ant. Hence ant cinema effect. Think "Alice in Wonderland". That's like being shrunk Alice watching a movie on a 10" tablet. Only even smaller.

In my personal experience (!) I find my small 73" TV much bigger perceptively than supposedly 150" screen on HMZ.

I don't think HMD is a replacement for big TVs or PJ... if you want big, you need real big. They're just good for... cheap fake big.
post #5 of 8 Old 05-23-2012, 10:42 PM

I have HMZ-T1 for several months and watched many movies on it. For me its better then not only ordinary movie theater, but better then iMAX 3D also. Screen size is exactly feels like ordinary movie theater but 3D is on another level. In many movies, especially iMAX documentaries, you really feel like you're inside the picture. Also you can watch it laying on sofa and dont have to worry about crowds chawing pop corn.

As for comfort issues.. this helmet is an instrument of torture out of the box. But it takes 15 minutes to mod it so you feel comletely comfortable.
post #6 of 8 Old 05-23-2012, 11:23 PM

Liked: 11
correct HMZ feel like a real cinema experience for me and only is the conform issues that really make a lot buyer think twice but once u mod it like a helmet then u will feel that this is the next best thing u ever buy which describe my feeling on this sony hmz after i mod it to a helmet mod.
post #7 of 8 Old 05-25-2012, 07:59 AM

Liked: 12
To me the HMZ certainly feels exactly like a cinema experience and I don't feel like an Ant looking at a small screen, I'm not sure where that comes from
The 3D is the best you will find and modding it to comfortable levels is pretty easy and done in minutes .
I had mine on for 7 hours straight once without any comfort probs .
post #8 of 8 Old 05-25-2012, 02:37 PM
Advanced Member

I definitely get the feeling of sitting about midway of a theater when using the HMZ-T1. I normally use it at night with the lights off in the room which really helps the illusion also. The effect is lessened if you can see any light spilling in from below.
Reply 3D Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page