Passive 3d plasma displays? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 05-26-2012, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Nathias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Des Plaines, IL USA
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I currently have a 50" Panasonic plasma TV. Really looking to get into the 3D market. I know everyone is raving about the LG passive LCD 3d TVs, but honestly, I don't know if I will be happy with the black levels, nor do I want to screw with returning TVs that have too much "flash lighting" effect going on.

So are there any plasma TVs that use passive 3d technology? I've tried searching, but not coming up with much.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Nathias is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 24 Old 05-26-2012, 07:38 PM
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 19,369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Not at this time
Lee Stewart is offline  
post #3 of 24 Old 05-26-2012, 09:57 PM
Senior Member
 
wonka702's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 282
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathias View Post

I currently have a 50" Panasonic plasma TV. Really looking to get into the 3D market. I know everyone is raving about the LG passive LCD 3d TVs, but honestly, I don't know if I will be happy with the black levels, nor do I want to screw with returning TVs that have too much "flash lighting" effect going on.

So are there any plasma TVs that use passive 3d technology? I've tried searching, but not coming up with much.

Thanks in advance for any help!

If this were still 2006 you could possibly use black levels as an argument for plasma advantages, but in 2012, Plasma doesn't offer any advantages in any area over lcd/led.
wonka702 is offline  
post #4 of 24 Old 05-27-2012, 01:13 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Kini62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 2,816
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonka702 View Post

If this were still 2006 you could possibly use black levels as an argument for plasma advantages, but in 2012, Plasma doesn't offer any advantages in any area over lcd/led.

Not true. Plasma still holds the advantage over LCD in black levels other than the ridiculously priced Sharp Elites.

Plasma has much better off angle viewing.

Plasma has much better motion resolution.

Plasma has less input lag in general.

Plasmas cost less per screen size while maintaining all of the above advantages.

The only LCDs worth considering are the LG with the passive 3D and only because of the great 3D.

If 2D viewing is what is important to you then plasma is still the way to go.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
Kini62 is offline  
post #5 of 24 Old 05-28-2012, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Nathias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Des Plaines, IL USA
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yeah, I've been pretty happy with my plasma so far. And obviously, 2D viewing would still be my primary choice of content. Just wanted the option to do 3D if I wanted.

Are there any plasma passive 3D TVs planned for this year?

I'd almost be willing to switch to one of the LG LCD tvs, but I'm really not interested in taking chances on getting a TV that has a lot of light bleed or flashlighting and then playing the return game.
Nathias is offline  
post #6 of 24 Old 05-28-2012, 09:26 AM
Member
 
Musictechguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Plasma TVs really don't cut it any more. Their images are lacklustre and don't offer the vivid experience of LCD. They are also more prone to shorter lifespans.
Musictechguy is offline  
post #7 of 24 Old 05-28-2012, 11:41 AM
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 19,369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musictechguy View Post

Plasma TVs really don't cut it any more. Their images are lacklustre and don't offer the vivid experience of LCD. They are also more prone to shorter lifespans.



So why is it that the just won the 2012 HDTV Shootout?
Lee Stewart is offline  
post #8 of 24 Old 05-28-2012, 09:16 PM
Member
 
Musictechguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post




So why is it that the just won the 2012 HDTV Shootout?

Never heard of this. There's always some random thing happening somewhere, usually sponsored by those who want to win
Musictechguy is offline  
post #9 of 24 Old 05-29-2012, 06:31 PM
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 19,369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musictechguy View Post

Never heard of this. There's always some random thing happening somewhere, usually sponsored by those who want to win

The Value Electronics HDTV Shootout has been going on for a number of years now and you will never guess which panel wins each year - here I will help you . . . Plasma.

Just because YOU never heard of it doesn't detract from it's importance. And it is a truly objective shootout. Try Google
Lee Stewart is offline  
post #10 of 24 Old 05-29-2012, 11:29 PM
Member
 
Musictechguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post


The Value Electronics HDTV Shootout has been going on for a number of years now and you will never guess which panel wins each year - here I will help you . . . Plasma.

Just because YOU never heard of it doesn't detract from it's importance. And it is a truly objective shootout. Try Google

I'll skip it thanks. There's an obscure award for everything somewhere.
Musictechguy is offline  
post #11 of 24 Old 05-30-2012, 02:37 AM
Advanced Member
 
nickoakdl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 943
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musictechguy View Post


I'll skip it thanks. There's an obscure award for everything somewhere.

Maybe you should stick to headphones and turntables.
nickoakdl is offline  
post #12 of 24 Old 05-30-2012, 03:34 AM
AVS Special Member
 
DerekinMerrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,254
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
panasonic L47WT50 is where its at... I posted about it before and nobody said anything. Does anyone own this tv?
DerekinMerrick is offline  
post #13 of 24 Old 05-30-2012, 06:25 AM
Newbie
 
huhhuh's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am also interested in the answer to Nathias' original question, are there any passive 3d plasma coming down the pike. My other question is whether there is a technical reason why all 3d plasma tvs are active, not passive. I have a passive LCD tv that enjoy very much but am interested in a plasma TV due to cost and off angle viewing.
huhhuh is offline  
post #14 of 24 Old 05-30-2012, 06:32 AM
Member
 
Musictechguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickoakdl View Post


Maybe you should stick to headphones and turntables.

Absolutely, especially since it's an integral part of my academic career. I have the best audio-visual equipment, which includes an LCD TV
Musictechguy is offline  
post #15 of 24 Old 05-30-2012, 04:25 PM
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 19,369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by huhhuh View Post

I am also interested in the answer to Nathias' original question, are there any passive 3d plasma coming down the pike. My other question is whether there is a technical reason why all 3d plasma tvs are active, not passive. I have a passive LCD tv that enjoy very much but am interested in a plasma TV due to cost and off angle viewing.

AFAIK . . . no passive Plasma 3DTVs on the way or for the foreseeable future. It is not as easy (read: cost) to build a passive PDP panel using FPR technology as it is to build an LCD Panel. Not even sure it can be done that way.

There was an Asian company - Xpol - that said they could build them - but they never did. They did build passive LCD 3DTVs - 46 " model - sold in japan and JVC used to sell it. They used an additional glass substrate and not a film.
Lee Stewart is offline  
post #16 of 24 Old 05-30-2012, 04:29 PM
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 19,369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musictechguy View Post

Absolutely, especially since it's an integral part of my academic career. I have the best audio-visual equipment, which includes an LCD TV

A shame . . . offerring an opinion and making believe it's a fact.
Lee Stewart is offline  
post #17 of 24 Old 05-31-2012, 04:44 PM
Member
 
Musictechguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post


A shame . . . offerring an opinion and making believe it's a fact.

I think 'offering' has one 'r'. Such lack of attention to detail... Just like plasma
Musictechguy is offline  
post #18 of 24 Old 06-01-2012, 01:41 PM
Member
 
Scottthehat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 64
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musictechguy View Post


I think 'offering' has one 'r'. Such lack of attention to detail... Just like plasma

One day you will wake up.
Stop giving false information end of,
No panel is perfect.

sharp lcd 42"samsung ps59d550 plasma,onkyo 875/606,sherrwood 945 avr,sony md/cd/ps3,toshiba hd dvd/bluray,panasonic blu-ray,wharfdale front/center/15" sub+2 12",eltax liberty rears x2(7.1),jamo 12" fronts + rears,sky hd,teac td, spyder 4tvhd + chromapure calibration stuff. nikon d700/d300 + pro glas
Scottthehat is offline  
post #19 of 24 Old 06-02-2012, 04:27 AM
Member
 
Musictechguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottthehat View Post

Stop giving false information end of,
.

The info is correct. 'offering' does have one r
Musictechguy is offline  
post #20 of 24 Old 06-02-2012, 08:28 AM
Member
 
Scottthehat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 64
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musictechguy View Post


The info is correct. 'offering' does have one r

Whos a clever boy ay.

sharp lcd 42"samsung ps59d550 plasma,onkyo 875/606,sherrwood 945 avr,sony md/cd/ps3,toshiba hd dvd/bluray,panasonic blu-ray,wharfdale front/center/15" sub+2 12",eltax liberty rears x2(7.1),jamo 12" fronts + rears,sky hd,teac td, spyder 4tvhd + chromapure calibration stuff. nikon d700/d300 + pro glas
Scottthehat is offline  
post #21 of 24 Old 06-02-2012, 03:20 PM
Member
 
Musictechguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottthehat View Post


Whos a clever boy ay.

"who's" should have an apostrophe
Musictechguy is offline  
post #22 of 24 Old 06-05-2012, 04:19 AM
Newbie
 
PalmiNio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musictechguy View Post

"who's" should have an apostrophe

So your an academic.

Then a thesis should be back up with emperical data. So if LED LCD or LCD now is superior to Plasma, can you get som more hard evidence for that.

http://*********************/images/...st%20ratio.pdf

http://www.bigpicturebigsound.com/LE...Shootout.shtml

Maybe you have other test with measurments?
PalmiNio is offline  
post #23 of 24 Old 06-05-2012, 05:50 AM
Member
 
Musictechguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmiNio View Post


So your an academic.

Then a thesis should be back up with emperical data. So if LED LCD or LCD now is superior to Plasma, can you get som more hard evidence for that.

http://*********************/images/...st%20ratio.pdf

http://www.bigpicturebigsound.com/LE...Shootout.shtml

Maybe you have other test with measurments?

Plasmas look a bit dull really. LCDs have more vibrancy.
Musictechguy is offline  
post #24 of 24 Old 06-06-2012, 06:33 AM
Member
 
beerninja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Vista, CA
Posts: 71
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Wow it seems the only useful posts in this entire thread are post #1 and post #2. After that it's just bickering. Settle down children.
beerninja is offline  
Reply 3D Displays

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off